PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Mark VII Monorail Trains

candaceB
10-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Can someone tell me all the monorail stops?

I'm a WDW person and I know nothing about Disneyland, but I'm going in a few months so there will be many more clueless questions to come :)

DoomBuggyDude
10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
A grand total of two stops! :secret:

Tomorrowland & Downtown Disney / Hotels
area.

And unlike World, you can walk for 10 min.
and arrive at the same destination if the
monorail line is too long.

MegaDisney
10-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Who else is excited about the new Monorails arriving soon at the Disneyland Resort?

I can't wait to see the new design. I have scoured the internet for pics but Disney seems to be keeping a tight lid on the project.

JPL
10-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Here is some concept art :thumbsup:

DoomBuggyDude
10-20-2007, 05:01 AM
We only get one for quite awhile.

The same red / dream train will still be around
for some time.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm excited too MD!

And one is better than none.

MegaDisney
10-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Here is some concept art :thumbsup:

I had seen that but I was told that it is not concept art from the Trains we will be receiving.

Marla
11-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow I am so excited to know something new is on it's way..but as far as, what it is exactly, is up to the new posts...as our imaginations, are usually way more than fact...lol.

Chescat
11-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I talked to one of the drivers I always see and talk to when I go into the park from Downtown Disney, just before Halloween. He said the first one comes out in December. The second one comes out in January. I believe he said Monorail Red will be done first. :)

I was kidding him because before my WDW trip, the Dream monorail only had one side on it (left side). When I saw it this time it had both sides. He said you must have caught it just one of the days it was like that. Seemed the WDW one we caught in between MK and Epcot looked exactly same way, just one side.

WDWfanatic742
12-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Courtesy of Orange County Register

New monorail arrives at Disneyland
Guests will be able to ride the new train starting in February. The first car shipped in today.By SARAH TULLY
The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – The first new monorail car in two decades slid onto the Disneyland track on Thursday as the theme park prepares for guests to ride it starting in late February.

Starting Monday, five flat-bed trucks transported in the five cars of the first redesigned train from Vancouver, Canada, where they were built. Crews ripped off white shrink wrap, which made the cars look like a Space Shuttle, and took about an hour and 15 minutes for a crane to hoist the nose of the first red-striped train to the parking area.

The ride started in 1959 as part of Disneyland's first expansion and the current cars have carted visitors around the Disney area since 1987. For three years, Disney Imagineers have been working on the upgrades that will roll out through the summer.

"I think we're always looking for ways to update and refresh classic attractions," said Scot Drake, the monorail lead designer. "This is definitely an iconic attraction."

The biggest change is the look of the train: The first electric cars have blue glass and red stripes that change color in the sunlight. The next two cars will be blue with purple glass and orange with blue glass.

Bench seats will face the windows, allowing visitors a full view of the parks, Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel. The capacity and speed will remain the same.

Until the February debut, Disney workers will put finishing touches on the construction and test the train after the park closes.

On the Truck Bed (http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/community/anaheim/2007/12/20_n_monorail5_large.jpg)
The monorail flies!! (http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/community/anaheim/2007/12/20_n_monorail4_large.jpg)
Getting on Track (http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/community/anaheim/2007/12/20_n_monorail3_large.jpg)

JPL
12-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Very cool design :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
12-21-2007, 12:37 PM
It's about time. Can't wait to ride these in Feb. :thumbsup:

DoomBuggyDude
12-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I shall name him "Shamu".

I will make him mine. Yes.

This is pretty good, but I have yet to see the
diabolical and unexpected twist!

BklynChick
12-21-2007, 10:24 PM
All I can say is....WOW :jaw:

MegaDisney
12-24-2007, 06:11 PM
WOW!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn't see the new trains at all this weekend, and I made a point of trying to see into the roundhouse on each of our 3 times around the park on the train!

2Epcot
12-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Some of my best memories of Disneyland when I was a kid was seeing the monorails for the first time. I'm excited that news ones are coming to the park. :mickey:

MegaDisney
12-31-2007, 09:28 PM
The color changing windows will be COOL!:thumbsup:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Can't wait to ride the new train. Hopefully will have a trip to the park to enjoy it soon

BrerGnat
01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
The color changing windows will be COOL!:thumbsup:

I don't think the WINDOWS change color, I think the red stripes on the side change color.

MegaDisney
01-04-2008, 10:42 PM
After re-reading that I think your right, probably paint simular to the Autopia cars.

DoomBuggyDude
01-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Here comes the unexpected twist!

A mechanical flaw has been discovered in the
new monorail red. It's so bad it may have to
be sent back on the flatbed.

But wait! There's more!

The old red mono has been disassembled for
scrapping, so that means one working monorail
(purple) for at least a few months.

2Epcot
01-04-2008, 11:35 PM
That's not good.

MegaDisney
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
RUT RO!

Thanks for the info Doom.

Melanie
01-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Oy.

Thanks for the heads up, DBD. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Yep, I was at DLR today. Monorail Purple is the only one running right now (and it smelled pretty bad inside) :sick:, but it was rather quick both times I took it. The wait is still only about 5-10 minutes, at the most.

Sad to hear about the new train, though. I was looking forward to seeing it next month. :(

DoomBuggyDude
04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
It's finally ready!

It will run as a two train operation along with
the older, cloud-wrapped Monorail Purple.

The seating has changed from rows to an
outer bench with an inner island bench, very
similar to the Jungle Cruise arrangement.

The lighting is amazing at night, and the
overall impression is one of boarding a ship
from Star Trek - TNG.

The nosecone is a little more cramped due to
a much larger driver console with monitors.
The tailcone is very spacious and probably
a better choice for the claustrophobic.

Carol
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I'll be there Friday. Guess I'll be missing it this trip. :sad:

tinkwest
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
....The tailcone is very spacious and probably a better choice for the claustrophobic.

That would be me.

Thanks for the info, DBD!

Mufasa
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
The new Mark VII monorails look really great with the color-changing paint shades during the day but I think their real beauty comes out at night, with both the interior "mood" lighting and a particularly impressive paint job/effect that makes the monorail almost seem to glow as they glide past the park lighting in the evening which will really stand out.

I also like how the styling has more throwback cues to the earlier Mark I/III trains. DBD's description of the seating is a good way to put it- overall the new monorail cars feel quite a bit more spacious in the interior than the Mark V's

You've gotta love that New Monorail Smell (ah... composite materials) especially compared to the Mark VI monorails at WDW (that combination of Florida heat and humidity can make for some pretty funky monorail cars, especially when it rains).

And with new monorails come new costumes for the CMs! Hooray!

We hope to have the next train in the new Mark VII fleet at the resort in the very near future for testing and hope to have that one up and running in place just in time for the busy summer.

The only thing missing is an announcement like the London Underground to "Mind the Gap" when you reach the Tomorrowland Station. :D

BrerGnat
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Woo hoo!!! I am going to make a very special trip there that day just so my 3 year old can ride the "new" monorail! He is going to LOVE it!

Thanks for the info!

2Epcot
04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Great to hear ... I hope to get over there soon myself. I pass the park several days a week, see the Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, and Matterhorn, but have been too busy to visit the park ... I'm excited about seeing the new Monorail.

LandFan
04-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Cool! Maybe they will both be up and running by the time we get there on June 18th!

DoomBuggyDude
04-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Well, it's even better now...

the new Blue arrived over the weekend and
is already being prepared.

I don't have a rollout date for that one as yet.

CanadianWDWFan
04-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Glad to hear this! We are now in the double digits away from our first ever trip out to DLR!

Thanks for the info, we have got to check this out.:thumbsup:

Disneyluvr2
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Yea, only 15 more days until my trip to DLR! I love it when I get to experience something new on my trips!

BrerGnat
04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I just got back from DLR. I was there from 10am-1:30pm. The only monorail running was the old monorail Purple. :( I was a bit disappointed, as I went today basically just so my boys and I could ride the new monorail.

Anyone know what's up? Will it be running tomorrow? The only thing I could think of is that they are planning to have a "grand opening ceremony" of sorts, to formally introduce the new monorail, and that may be happening later in the day. But, that's all conjecture on my part.

If anyone has any updates, please share! Thanks. :)

On a positive (unrelated) note, the parks were VERY uncrowded and manageable today. Compared to last week's crowds, it was like a night and day difference.

Mufasa
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
While you may spot the new Monorail Red making daytime testing runs around the resort over the next few weeks, I really would not expect the official start of trips with the public to occur until mid-May.

Monorail Blue should begin with after-hours testing by early May and launched to the public hopefully in June.

jjramsey
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow!

I did not know that Disney was investing in new monorail vehicles.:mickey: Does this mean that they might loosen up on line expansion?

Melanie
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I did not know that Disney was investing in new monorail vehicles.:mickey: Does this mean that they might loosen up on line expansion?

Are you talking about Disneyland or Disney World?

There is no talk of expansion at Disneyland that I know of, because there is really no need or nowhere to go.

BrerGnat
04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
While you may spot the new Monorail Red making daytime testing runs around the resort over the next few weeks, I really would not expect the official start of trips with the public to occur until mid-May.

Monorail Blue should begin with after-hours testing by early May and launched to the public hopefully in June.

Thanks for the info. The title of this thread led me to believe that an "insider" had official knowledge of the first day of operation to the public.

I'll be looking forward to at least SEEING it, though. It looks so cool in the pictures.

Mufasa
04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
The title of this thread led me to believe that an "insider" had official knowledge of the first day of operation to the public.

Well, I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say that DoomBuggyDude is a very valuable and trusted source of information here on Intercot for the information he shares about the Disneyland resort.

And the resort is anxious to get the new monorails up and in service for guests, especially considering that the Mark V Purple train has been in operation now for over 21 years on the beam. The maintenance folks in the roundhouse are particularly excited with the new trains because they offer a more maintenance-friendly design.

The thing about the monorails (and something that certainly has been the case with the Mark VI at WDW) is that they almost each have a distinct personality to them as if they were a living creature- each one has their own little quirks with how they operate and handle that the pilots and maintenance folks get used to and there's a lot involved with the training and testing/certification process with each train to get them to where they get the final approval to start ferrying guests.

BrerGnat
04-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Oh, I completely understand the need for testing and getting to "know" the trains. :)

I guess I just assumed that the testing had been going on for a couple months now, at night at least.

No big deal. We know the new one is coming. It'll be ready when its ready.

And, I know that Doombuggydude is usually very reliable, which is why I wondered what was up with the specific date given of 4/17. I assumed that was the public unveiling date.

NotaGeek
04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
And, I know that Doombuggydude is usually very reliable, which is why I wondered what was up with the specific date given of 4/17. I assumed that was the public unveiling date.

Hmmm. I just don't like how this is going. Doombuggydude provides GREAT insight for stuff happening at the park. He's a valuable member of the INTERCOT family and a personal friend to several of our moderator staff ... the information he gives while no doubt correct when he gets it, isn't written in stone. Stuff changes.

Our appreciation for those with inside information posting here shouldn't be dependent on specific dates and information. Any scrap of info is appreciated ... :thumbsup:

DoomBuggyDude
04-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Stuff changes.

And how.

It got moved to Monday and is limited to Cast.
Just a small detail that didn't quite make our memo.

:read:

BrerGnat
04-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Gosh, I really hope I didn't offend anyone. I did not mean to imply that DoomBuggyDude was lying or misinformed!

It's just that this new monorail has been delayed significantly from its original operating date (fall 2007), and I know that's due to mechanical issues upon arrival that needed to be fixed. I really just thought that he was letting us know that it was finally ready for public use. That's all.

It didn't ruin my day. On the contrary! I just wanted to get more info. I really just thought that others may be visiting DLR soon and might be expecting to ride the new monorail as well. I wanted some clarification for myself and others.

I admit, since I go to DLR so often, every "new thing" is exciting for me. Since things don't change too much from week to week (normally), anything that is "new" for us is something fun to look forward to. However, I didn't mention the new monorail to my boys, precisely because I was not 100% certain it would be operating, because I KNOW how things can change when you're talking about Disney. ;) No harm done.

jjramsey
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Are you talking about Disneyland or Disney World?

There is no talk of expansion at Disneyland that I know of, because there is really no need or nowhere to go.

I was meaning WDW. Everytime I have been there, the cast members have said..."No. There is no more money allocated for anything new with the monorails, we are just maintaining what we have." ...so that is why even investment in new trains is surprising to me! Of course, it would be nice if Epcots' line were extended to the Studios (along with the in between resorts), since that would be a relatively short distance. The 'expensive' one would be a leg to Animal Kingdom.

Oh well...time to wish on a star ;)

Mufasa
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I was meaning WDW.

This is the Disneyland forum- the 3 new Mark VII trains being discussed here are to replace the Mark V trains at the Disneyland resort.

There are no plans to replace any of the Mark VI trains at WDW at this time.

trackbarroness
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
So how old are the Mark VI monorails here at WDW?

Mufasa
04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I believe Mark VI Blue was the first to arrive at WDW in 1989- but it wasn't until 1991 that the fleet of Mark VI monorails was in regular service with the last of the trains being Coral but I don't remember when that arrived and went into service.

There was quite a bit of work required to upgrade the power systems to support the operation of the larger Mark VI trains so there was a while when the Mark IV trains ran alongside Mark VI trains until all modifications could be completed to support the full set.

BrerGnat
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I just saw the new monorail on a test run today! It looks AWESOME! I love the color. :thumbsup:

I snapped a few quick pictures. If I can post them here, someone let me know how to do that (mods, I can email you the pics for you to post if that's necessary).

NotaGeek
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
WOW! It looks SPIFFY! :mickey:

Melanie
04-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Is it maroon almost? I love it!

BrerGnat
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Is it maroon almost? I love it!

YES! I loved the color. It's like a burgundy/maroon. I hate the color red, in general, but I thought this shade was perfect. It is sort of metallic looking as well, and I can see how in some lights, it may look almost purple. I can't wait to see more of it. I was just walking back to my car, not expecting it, and it just appeared from the side of the Lego store and took me by surprise.

Melanie
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Cool! Yeah, I'm not a fan of the color red either. But when I married a Texas Aggie, maroon became a part of my life. ;) I really love it! Can't wait to see them.

BronxTigger
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
I saw the new monorail a few times during my trip. They were supposed to have it up and accepting passengers by Friday afternoon but I did not see it on Friday afternoon. I heard they were running late with it (big surprise, no?).

The monorail that is wrapped with YOAMD was still up and running throughout the trip, although I didn't see them both running at the same time.

Marla
05-12-2008, 01:37 AM
as always I want to thank our "insiders" for all the info we get. I just left the parks and the new monorail was not there yet...can't wait to see it here, or ride it there.:tink:

NotaGeek
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks to Chris (2Epcot) for some great new shots of Monorail Red!

NotaGeek
05-19-2008, 10:59 PM
More pics from Chris...

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Great pictures. Can't wait to ride the new monorails

Mufasa
07-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Monorail Red has been making test runs with the public now since July 3rd- a sort of soft-opening preview of the new Mark VII.

There are no guarantees you'll get a ride on Monorail Red as they can take the train out of service at any time, or you may spot the train making runs around the park but without guests during the day as there's still a lot of testing being performed on the new trains.

Monorail_Red
07-06-2008, 09:53 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zel8L8bEwHE

MegaDisney
07-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks for posting that link, I wish the camera would have stayed inside the car more. I have made a night journey on the Monorail so the sights were not new to me. I wanted to see the cool interior all lit up more!

Looking forward to taking my first ride on Red in October!

I just hope ther are no more problems!

Any chance we will see another new train by October?

DoomBuggyDude
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Any chance we will see another new train by October?

Oh, my magic 8 ball says chances are VERY
good.

Not to sound like I've already driven "Blue" & it was
absolutely outrageous or something.

:shades:

MegaDisney
07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Blue is my favorite color!

How cool for you!

Chescat
07-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Since summer started, how many monorails have they had going? Last time I went, there was just the one with the Dreams on it going (when I saw BronxTigger). I'm so far behind in info these days since I've been under the weather a couple months now. Been missing my favorite place. :cool:

Those pictures are awesome.

BrerGnat
07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
FYI, Monorail Red was running PACKED with guests for much of the day yesterday!

Of course, leave it to my son to decide that he did NOT want to ride the monorail yesterday. :rolleyes:

Monorail "Purple" was also running, so it would have only been a 50/50 chance we'd have gotten the new one anyway if we had gotten in line, but it was very cool to FINALLY see the train full of PEOPLE. :D

WiLdOrCa
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Didn't get a glimpse of the new monorail while we were there June 30-July 3, however, when we rode the old one, (emphasis on ONE), employees there told us that the new one would be ready within the week, of course after we left, and another one within 3 weeks, and another one by the end of the year! The old "ONE" is the only ONE they have left and it was the ONE running. It will be good to see 3 new monorails running!!! Red, Orange and Purple from what sources (employees) told us. Very cool!!!!

Vickie

MegaDisney
07-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I know the second addition to the fleet will be Blue, but I haven't heard about the color of the third.

DoomBuggyDude any info?

scoot241
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the third would be Orange.

DoomBuggyDude
07-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I haven't heard an official word on the
third train color.

Traditionally it would be Orange or Purple.

With this phasic paint I'm hoping for Orange
because it will be very difficult to tell the
difference between Purple and Blue under
certain lighting conditions.

Chescat
07-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I finally got to go in the park last Friday for first time since April. I was excited to find that the new Monorail was running and got to sit in the front with the driver and with 4 other people. I'll try to get my pictures up tonight.

I asked the driver what the monorail colors were supposed to be and I thought he said blue and the 3rd one was suppose to be Purple to replace the dreams one running now, but don't hold me to that one.

When we started to get into the cars, the CM said that only 15 were allowed in each car. I don't know if this is normal. It looked like it could sit more. One thing they did tell me is that they aren't suppose to be running the new monorails if its over 80 degrees since the windows only pop open from the bottom, not like they used too. It was about 85 when I was there, so maybe that's why they were only allowing 15 in each car. The front and back cars are air conditioned. I asked if there would be a solution to the air conditioning problem. At least for this summer they do have the dreams monorail going. The others unfortunately are gone for good. They are thinking of trying to put a swamp cooler type system between the cars that might help with the problem, but not sure.

I like the two new monitors they have for the drivers. Couldn't see what he was looking at, but I would think it would be better for them. I do like how it rides and how it looks. :D

Mufasa
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
The 3rd monorail to arrive at the resort should be Orange (with a bluish tint to the windows) but I would not expect to see Orange arrive for a while, until they can officially retire Mark V Purple.

The new Mark VII monorails can hold more than 15 passengers per car (total train capacity is 120 passengers I believe- slightly less than the 132 on a Mark V) but for now monorail operations are capping the capacity at 15 in the middle cars, and perhaps DoomBuggyDude can confirm but I think it's up to 5 passengers in the nose cone and 7 in the tail (where it's comfortably air conditioned)

And not only are there plenty of fancy new monitors for the Monorail pilots, but what look like some cushy new seats too, and really shiny, silvery controls! :D

BrerGnat
07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I rode the new monorail twice. First was last week in a regular cab car. The second was on Tuesday of this week, in the front car with the driver.

It was awfully hot the first time, WELL over 80 degrees, and I agree, the car was very warm, but the ride is very brisk and there is enough of a breeze while the train is moving that it was comfortable. Plus, there were only 6 of us in the car, so that probably helped.

The second time, in the front, it was nice and cool. I don't really understand why they couldn't just A/C the whole train, like they do at WDW? I am sure it has to do with how the original trains were engineered, but it would have been nice.

One thing I did notice is that, although that blue tint does not allow one to see IN to the cars much from the outside, it does not provide much actual tint from the sun when inside the car (which I found odd). It was rather bright inside the cars. I liked the new cars overall. Much cleaner and more spacious looking, and I loved the "mood lighting" inside. ;)

MegaDisney
07-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't really understand why they couldn't just A/C the whole train, like they do at WDW? I am sure it has to do with how the original trains were engineered, but it would have been nice.

It also may have to do with the fact that that the WDW Monorail is "full scale" and the Disneyland version is 3/4 scale which doesn't leave much room for AC equipment.

Chescat
07-22-2008, 02:25 AM
I finally remember to get my pictures together of the front inside of Monorail red. I also took a picture from underneath to see the pop out windows better.

Monorail Red Front Car (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Monorail%20Red/)

I meet Varcity for lunch on Friday and we wrote it back to Downtown Disney. This time I got better pictures of the drivers screens. We let the dream monorail go by and waited for Monorail Red. We noticed in the park monorail station what they do when its the new one coming in, they stop the line and only allow 15 into each car in the queue line. Everybody else stays at the entrance. When the Dream monorail came, they let everybody in.

Here's the 2 pics of the driver's console that's pretty cool:

Monorail Driver 1 Pic (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Monorail%20Red/MonorailRed-7.jpg)

Monorail Driver 2 Pic (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Monorail%20Red/MonorailRed-8.jpg)

NotaGeek
07-22-2008, 03:32 AM
I finally remember to get my pictures together of the front inside of Monorail red. I also took a picture from underneath to see the pop out windows better.

Monorail Red Front Car (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Monorail%20Red/)

I meet Varcity for lunch on Friday and we wrote it back to Downtown Disney. This time I got better pictures of the drivers screens. We let the dream monorail go by and waited for Monorail Red. We noticed in the park monorail station what they do when its the new one coming in, they stop the line and only allow 15 into each car in the queue line. Everybody else stays at the entrance. When the Dream monorail came, they let everybody in.

Here's the 2 pics of the driver's console that's pretty cool:

Monorail Driver 1 Pic (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Monorail%20Red/MonorailRed-7.jpg)

Monorail Driver 2 Pic (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/Monorail%20Red/MonorailRed-8.jpg)

:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting! I can't wait to ride the new Monorail!

VolMickey
07-26-2008, 08:07 AM
I just LOVE the new look.:thumbsup:

future_imagineer
07-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm very impressed by the new monorails.

DestinationWDW
07-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know what the flaw is or was. Also do you think the will replace the ones in DW

Thanks

NotaGeek
07-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know what the flaw is or was. Also do you think the will replace the ones in DW

Thanks

There was some problem with the clearing in the undercarriage and the bend in the track.

It's doubtful they will change the WDW Monorails since they are full-size.

There is full discussion on the Disneyland Monorails going on here, please direct further discussion to that thread. (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=130042) :mickey:

DoomBuggyDude
07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
The new monorail blue made it's first
appearance during park hours this afternoon!

Still not available for passengers, but amazing
to see in the daylight for the first time!

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Yay! Monorail Blue looks amazing. Although from the pics I saw it looks like it doesn't have the vents for "air conditioning". Did they fix the problem?

Can't wait for my next visit to the park and seeing the new monorails in service

MegaDisney
08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
All three of the new monorails are now onsite:

Red - In Service
Blue - Testing
Orange - Delivered to the resort yesterday!

Can't wait till my trip the end of September to see them in person!

NotaGeek
08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I am TOTALLY excited too, Bryant! :balloon:

DoomBuggyDude
08-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Very true!

Orange was in the cast parking lot
this morning, and will be put on the
beam tomorrow morning!

Chescat
08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
I got to see Monorail Blue today also on a test run. Unfortunately, they were testing it during lunch hours so got stuck walking all the way from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland (others were back on just after lunch). :mad:

I really like the color. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera today.

DisneyPrincess75
01-18-2009, 09:57 AM
My hubby and I were just at Disneyland this past week and rode the monerail (forgive me if I'm spelling it wrong LOL). Anyway, I haven't been on it since they re-did them. Apparently they don't run them if it hits over 80 degrees! They didn't install any air conditioning and I guess the new windows are a bust because it doesn't let enough air flow in! The CM there said it costs $1000 per window to replace, and they're planning on doing it...but why not have just installed A/C when remaking it?? If it doesn't run after it hits 80 degrees, it won't be running all summer! LOL

I just thought that was silly of the brillant imaginears to overlook the obvious :mickey:

NotaGeek
01-18-2009, 01:47 PM
My hubby and I were just at Disneyland this past week and rode the monerail (forgive me if I'm spelling it wrong LOL). Anyway, I haven't been on it since they re-did them. Apparently they don't run them if it hits over 80 degrees! They didn't install any air conditioning and I guess the new windows are a bust because it doesn't let enough air flow in! The CM there said it costs $1000 per window to replace, and they're planning on doing it...but why not have just installed A/C when remaking it?? If it doesn't run after it hits 80 degrees, it won't be running all summer! LOL

I just thought that was silly of the brillant imaginears to overlook the obvious :mickey:
Yeah, it's definitely not one of the more genius moves ... I am merging this was an exising thread about the Monorail.

Mufasa
01-28-2009, 03:55 PM

It's not really fair to say it was WDI that overlooked the obvious as some design decisions were forced upon Imagineering as a safety issue especially with the window design.

The previous window designs in place for some 40 years opened from the top and you could slide it down but there were safety objections in the design for the Mk VII because this opening (undoubtedly some safety/legal folks) felt was too large because someone could reach out or even in their view potentially stick their head out and smack into something alongside the monorail track.

So that lead to the pivot design where they can only be cracked open about 2 inches at the bottom so hopefully no one- even a child could really reach their hand out far enough to hit anything but also not allowing for much air flow into the cabins.

As for air conditioning there are several issues that would have to be addressed. First, is finding space where you could mount the equipment. Then there are concerns over how much weight would be added to support AC and not to mention the power demands to support that system (AC is necessary for the nose/tail cones and even that is enough of a challenge in the design).

WiLdOrCa
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I still think, they should have known that there would be some sort of issue with air flow if only a two inch opening was allowed.. Especially in HOT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, where it's usually very warm pretty much year around, especially in the summer. Wow... But I guess they figure it's not a must ride into the park, and has only the two stops, so it wasn't as big a deal?

I like to ride it, everytime we are there. I still have NEVER ridden in the front area, all my life, even when I grew up in Garden Grove, and then moving to Washington 20 years later.. There is always a line for it, and it's always busy when it is running. :mickey: