PDA

View Full Version : Solo Trip Help

jakeybake
12-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I have been booked for a work conference at the Grand Floridian the week of March 3rd.

Since this is for work I will be going solo, which will be a first.

I have only gone to WDW with family so I was hoping that any of my Intercot friends who have taken solo trips could give me some input on how it was for them and let me know any tips they may have.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Jay

TheRustyScupper
12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
1) I have done MANY solo trips while on business.
2) I find it actually more relaxing than with family.
3) I usually
. . . walk slowly and REALLY look at the small touches
. . . do a lot of people watching
. . . go on rides with multi-people seats (eg. Pirates, ToT)
. . . eat with other singles at restaurants *
. . . go to a lot of shows (eg. Philharmagic)

* When you make your ADR's check for times with other single ADR's. Then ask the host/hostess when you arrive if there are other singles. If so, ask them to inquire to the single if they mind company. You will be surprised at the interesting meals and conversation. (I do this a lot when on normal business, let alone at WDW while solo.

DCDisney
12-20-2007, 11:58 AM
There are alot of us that have done solo trips. There are probably lots of trip reports to read about solo trips, to look for tips on what to do.
You might want to think about signing up for a behind the scenes tour, a Segway tour, etc. Enjoy the flexibility of going where you want to, stopping where you want to, etc. Sit on a bench and watch others enjoying themselves. Enjoy sleeping in or staying out late. If you're at a resort with a food court, you can enjoy taking the food back to your room and eating in your pajamas. I see your icon is the Beach Club. I had a solo trip there once. I got up fairly early, got some coffee, a danish, etc. and then sat out on the veranddah in a rocking chair and watched the cast members getting the pool and beach ready, and watched the sun come up. Sit under a poolside umbrella and read a book.

Don't be shy about eating at sit-down restaurants, and then bring reading material, write out postcards, etc. Also, don't be shy about striking up conversations while in ride lines, or taking to cast members working at the attractions.

Have a great trip ! I'm jealous !

King Triton
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Jay,

A couple of business trips to Disney is what started me on occasional solo trips. It makes for a trip that is much different, but almost equally enjoyable.

Here's a few thoughts:
1. Make sure you bring something back for everyone at home.
2. Early March means Spring Training. If you're a baseball fan, check the Atlanta Braves home schedule. Their spring training home is Disney's WIde World of Sports and they should be playing games by then (as opposed to just working out). They might even have night games.
3. Go places you don't normally go with your family. If you like to look at the artwork in China and Japan at your leisure, this is the time to do it.
4. Talk with friendly castmembers. I've found they sometimes go out of their way to meet with people that appear to be on their own. Epcot's World Showcase is especially good for this.
5. If you already have an AP, great. If not, you may want to get yourself one if you plan on coming back (with or without the family) over the next year. Also, keep in mind some of the conferences offer 4:00 and after passes. These aren't available to the general public, but are sometimes part of the deal Disney makes with the conferences.
6. Find a couple conference attendees and go somewhere for dinner that you normally wouldn't with the family. Probably not practical to go into Epcot unless you can get an after 4 pass mentioned above.
7. If you don't do anything else, ENJOY IT!!!

glenpreece
12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I love going solo!!! The other posts have basically covered any advice I had to give. when I go solo I like to spend as much time as possible at the parks and DTD, I did a tour on my last solo trip and that was great!!!! I try to do as much as I can. I noticed someone said they take it slow. I'm the opposite since I am alone I go as fast as I can!!! I want to do as much as I can and on my last day I hop through all four parks!!!

DizRunner
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Hello! I've been a couple of times solo when I go down in January to run (marathon in '04 and half in '06). I'm heading down in 20 days for my third solo. Each time gets better and better because I learn from my mistakes.

- go at your leisure or do all that you can in the time you have. That's the great thing about going solo. I'm the type to do as much as I can in the short amount of time.

- because I try to do as much as I can, for this trip I'm doing much much more planning ahead of time. In '04 I wasted too much precious park time on the buses because I wanted to take a break and go the DTD. I didn't know the bus routes like I should have. Major mistake.

- take advantage of the single rider lines

- as others have mentioned, talk to the CMs. Maybe ask them what their favorite hidden secret is in the park.

Just enjoy yourself. I try to tell myself while I'm there to realize that it's been two years of waiting. So really appreciate being there.

Oh also, I'm going to be the last one or so in the parks. I figure I can sleep at home.

Have Fun!!!

glenpreece
12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh also, I'm going to be the last one or so in the parks. I figure I can sleep at home.

Have Fun!!!

I totally agree!!!!