PDA

View Full Version : Things safe in the room?

starflyer59
12-19-2007, 07:14 AM
We are staying at the POP Dec 22-26th and was wondering how safe is your stuff in the room? I will probably be leaving my laptop in the room and there will my daughters portable dvd player. We are also thinking of taking our Christmas gifts to open on Christmas morning.

SBETigg
12-19-2007, 07:27 AM
There's always a risk in traveling with expensive things. I know plenty of people (myself included) who have left such things in hotel rooms and never had a problem with theft. I also know people who have had laptops, cameras, or BlackBerrys stolen from hotel rooms. It happens, and it can happen anywhere. Don't let the fact that you're traveling to Disney World deter you from taking the usual precautions in protecting your things.

Perhaps use the in-room safe to protect smaller, more portable items. When you know you'll be going out, consider stashing your valuables that don't fit in the safe back in your suitcase or underneath clothing in drawers. Not to say they can't be taken from there, but it's more of a deterrent than leaving things right out in the open. I wouldn't say to worry over it or not bring things that you may need or want with you, but just use some care, know that things can happen, and have a happy vacation!

Itchy
12-19-2007, 08:10 AM
I agree with the previous post. The key thing is out of sight out of mind.

If you can leave things such as Christmas gifts in the trunk of the car if driving until needed that will not only reduce the chance of theft but it will give you space in the room until time to bring them out..

Have a great holidays.

WishingStar2006
12-19-2007, 08:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing but more in terms of packing "gifts" that I am taking to WDW for my teen sons to open Christmas morning....I think I should figure a way to carry them on rather than packing them in my luggage but what a pain....

Any advice?

Also, I agree that if you don't leave the valuables out in plain view there is no temptation. I have left laptops out on the desk/table plenty of times and have never had a problem but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Have a great trip...we'll be there the same time!
:santa3::santa3::santa3:

JPL
12-19-2007, 08:52 AM
I have never had a problem at WDw and have left out Video Cameras, laptops, Ipods and one time even an envelope full of cash(of course this one was an accident).

vicster
12-19-2007, 09:00 AM
RE: The laptop - we have a locking cable for our laptop which you might want to consider. Just to be on the safe side...

Brian
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree with the other posters on this topic. In our experiences, we've never had any problems with things being stolen or tampered with while at Disney World. However, you'll still want to take precautions. Take advantage of the in room safe as much as possible. For the larger items, keep them tucked away in a drawer or closet.

DawsonAR
12-19-2007, 09:48 AM
We have never had a problem but we do put all our smaller items in the safe.

Cinderella's mom
12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I have left money for Mousekeeping before, but neglected to put Mousekeeping's name on it. And when we got back, it was still there when we got back from the parks.... Was told that unless it has Mousekeeping's name on it, they will not take a penny!!!!!

However, I always locked up my extra money and my wallet, but never have had any problems with ANYTHING!!!!!:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
We've never had a problem, with things like my laptop, DD's DVD player, etc.

As with previous posters, we lock all of the $$ and our passports, etc in the safe, and make sure we put everything else out of the way (maybe in a drawer, sometime just down beside the table)...just not in plain view, and we've never even had anything moved.

TheRustyScupper
12-19-2007, 12:38 PM
1) WDW is not responsible for anything left in rooms.
2) Always best to lock stuff in the wall safe.
3) Better, is to use the safe deposit boxes at Front Desk.
4) Most people are honest, but there are always a few bad eggs.

5) For gifts,
. . . send them ahead via UPS or FEDEX
. . . they are delivered to the Front Desk
. . . leave behind Front Desk
. . . pick up when ready for use

mickey&missy
12-19-2007, 12:47 PM
It always better safe then sorry. We alway lock smaller items in the wall safe. The portable DVD even fit in the wall safe at AKL and WL from what I remember. Anything bigger I would hide in the suitcase etc.

I know that, as a previous poster mentioned, mousekeeping won't take a tip unless clearly marked for them.

I know its WDW, but no matter what there can always be a bad seed. Getting something stolen can sure ruin the magic!

Quasimodo
12-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I am the victim of hotel theft. Not at a Disney hotel, but at a business class suite style hotel. I left my laptop on the bed to go out and get some dinner. I thought it would be ok since it was in the evening and housekeeping would not be coming into the room. Came back about 1 1/2 hour later and the laptop and power cord was gone. After talking to the police, I found out that several rooms in that hotel were hit as well. Several months later, I found out that the police caught the thief in a sting (idiot kept hitting the same hotels). The police detective I talked to said the guy was using flat head screwdrivers to pop open the doors.

I now use one of those laptop locking cables. Although those aren't a guarantee either. I've read the locks on them can be popped open
easily if you know how to do it.

vamaggie
12-19-2007, 03:43 PM
I would out as much as you can into the wall safe and definately lock up laptops when you are gone. My DH usually puts his in a suitcase, under some clothes and then locks the suitcase. Not perfect but more of a deterant.

starflyer59
12-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

Tink#64
12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Someone mentioned keeping your gift locked in your car, I just wanted to add that I wouldn't feel completely safe with that option either. Some friends of mine were on vacation (not at WDW), and on the last evening they had loaded their car with all of the souveniers & etc, and overnight someone broke into their car & took everything! Granted this was a beach vacation, in a condo complex, where the usual vacation pattern is for guests to check out on Saturday, so maybe the thieves were counting on this.? But I don't leave much in my vehicle of any value. I've had mine broken into (again not at WDW), & I've even had one car stolen! DH gets so frustrated with me because I won't even pack our luggage in our van (with an alarm) the night before vacation! It would be a nightmare to be scheduled to leave for your vacation & all of your luggage, clothing, etc was stolen! :faint:

I just would err on the side of cautious rather than deal with the grief! I hope you have a wonderful trip and I'm sure all will go well for you! :mickey:

Love the Mouse!
12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Hello, I don't know about POP but I can tell you this, we stayed at ASM this past July. We were ready to leave to one of the parks, I put a small wallet with almost $2000 in cash in the safe, when we came back to the room I had a terrible vision, the safe was open! When I checked inside all the money was there and everything else that we left there, I looked at the safe and noticed that I left the key with it! :blush: I don't know if I was lucky or if indeed there's still honest people in the world, I'm inclined for the second one. :thumbsup:

TBone
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Several years ago we had a necklace stolen from our room at the Grand Floridian (it looked real but was costume so I didn't put it in the safe). We had purchased it at EPCOT and showed the receipt to a hotel manager, they sent someone to get us an exact replacement, it got to us in an hour or so.

While at the pool the next day, I was telling the story and a few othe people had similar stories - Gameboys, cameras and other stuff were stolen the day before. Between what we weretold and what we could figure out, the thief was going room to room and taking whatever they could grab during the time that the housekeeprs had the doors propped open.