PDA

View Full Version : Ian's Short and Sweet Christmas Trip Report

Ian
12-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm a little short on time so I won't be writing full trip reports on this trip, but I did want to write up a short summary of the highs and lows of our holiday trip down to the World ...

Who: Yours truly, Ian, DW, DD5, and DS1
Where: A 1 bedroom villa at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
When: December 8th to the 15th

We ended up deciding to drive down for this trip. With the baby it's just too much of a hassle packing and lugging all that stuff around on airlines, not to mention getting through security, keeping him occupied on a plane for 2 1/2 hours, etc.

So I picked up my new Tahoe on Wednesday, and Friday afternoon around 12:30PM we headed off down the road to Disney. Fortunately, our drive was pretty uneventful and we arrived ahead of schedule at around noon on Saturday (we stopped overnight in Savannah).

We didn't have ressies at Saratoga until Sunday, so we Pricelined the Holiday Inn Maingate for Saturday night. We checked in there when we arrived and were pleased to find our room ready. The place was pretty nice ... we really enjoyed our stay there. Saturday we pretty much just relaxed and then did Osborne Lights at night.

Honestly, I swear Disney has completely gone bonkers with their crowd control lately. They routed us into the Streets of America in the most ridiculous way ... I can't even tell you! We basically had to fight our way upstream against all the guests pouring out from having seen the show already. It was really annoying, what with having two strollers and all. The lights were spectacular as always, though!

Sunday we checked into our room at Saratoga, which was really beautiful and then we headed to MK for awhile and rode some rides. Crowds were manageable and the day was fun. At some point (don't really remember when) we met up with Em. We had ADR's at Teppan Edo that night and met up with my Mom and her boyfriend Joe for dinner. Em joined us, too, and we all really enjoyed our meal. We finished the night off with holiday Illuminations (which is just AMAZING!) and crashed out.

Other highs/lows of the trip:

HIGH: Did MVMCP on Thursday the 13th and had a great time. We ate dinner at Tony's and got a terrific spot right out on the veranda. It was really nice sitting there, soaking up the Christmas atmosphere, and having a great meal. The food was really good and we left STUFFED!
HIGH: Seeing the Castle lighting ceremony. Yes ... it's as good as it looks on YouTube!
HIGH: Taking DD to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. I'm telling you ... it costs a small fortune but it's well worth it just to see your daughter turned into a princess before your eyes. My "Christmas Belle" was in her glory and it was worth every penny I spent just to see that look on her face.
HIGH: The crowds and weather were just fantastic for us. We literally had not one single, solitary drop of rain the entire trip. It was sunny and 85º the whole week. And the crowds were very manageable, too. We rarely waited in line for anything more than maybe 10 minutes tops.
HIGH: We finally won Dream Fastpasses. It's been sort of frustrating to me to come so close to getting them so many times, so it was nice to finally score a set. Please with hold all, "Yeah, but you won the Castle Suite!!!" comments. ;)
HIGH: DD's reaction to the trip. Even at only a year old, he really seemed to enjoy himself. He loved meeting the characters (especially Mickey) and really seemed to get a kick out of the rides, too. He was always smiling and pointing at stuff. He also LOVED the Osborne Lights! I thought he was going to stroke out he was so excited!!
HIGH: The food! I swear, we had some of the best meals we've ever had in WDW on this trip. Le Cellier got especially high marks from everyone in our crew. We also really enjoyed the two meals we had a Chefs De France. My Mom and Joe also gave Germany high marks, as well.
HIGH: Candlelight Processional! We had Chita Rivera as our reader and she was really good. Sadly, DS was sick that night and he and DW had to miss the show, but DD and I went and had a blast! This show is so beautiful ...
HIGH: Getting to hang out with my girl Jeanne for a bit at Epcot! We didn't get to see her nearly as much as we'd have liked to, but it's always fun to spend even a little while in her company. Thanks, Jeanne! :thumbsup:
HIGH: Meeting Sig Hansen (from Deadliest Catch) in Epcot's Norway. Very cool!!
HIGH/LOW: Seeing Mel (harlowandthemermaid) and her awesome Mom and beautiful DD! Why is that a low, you ask? Because we didn't get to see them as much as we would have liked. Our schedules didn't end up meshing very well.
LOW: Spaceship Earth. I was so looking forward to seeing the new ride and was just brutally disappointed. IMO, it's really terrible. They butchered the second half of the ride to the point that it's almost sad.
LOW: The Cast. I don't know if it's just anticipation of the huge holiday crowds coming or what, but we have rarely encountered so many surly and foul-tempered CM's in any of our prior trips. We did have one or two good ones that stood out (like the woman in Epcot who ran all over to find milk for DS!), but we overwhelmingly saw more disinterested or outright grumpy CM's than we did happy ones.
LOW: Maintenance. Yikes ... the last time I was down I thought some things looked a little better than they had in the past, but this time I thought some of the attractions looked downright shabby. In Pooh, the smoke ring blower was broken our entire trip. Buzz just looks awful. The paint is chipped and peeling on all the ride vehicles, the decals on the wall in the queue area are torn in places and falling off the wall in others, and the seats were dirty to the point of being near disgusting. At one point, we got stuck in the second room for like 20 minutes while the ride just kept stopping and starting! I thought they were going to make us get off at one point, because the lights came on and these gates came up out of the floor, but they eventually got it going again. Also, Space Mountain was broken down multiple times on our trip and there were just lots of other areas of the parks that looked shabby and run down. :nono:
LOW: The other guests. I was so shocked at some of the just downright rude behavior I saw, especially at Candlelight Processional, if you can believe that. No sooner had we sat down than some white trash lady started giving this poor CM a really hard time for nothing. She hadn't paid for the Dinner Package, but she wanted to sit in the Dinner Package area. The CM (who was a really sweet senior citizen) politely explained to her that she couldn't sit there and this woman and her clan just flat out ignored her. When the CM tapped the woman's daughter on the shoulder to get her attention she made a big fuss and the Mom went off the deep end that the CM had "put her hands on her daughter." These people were a real mess ... obviously intoxicated, with a slew of empties trailing in their wake. They ended up sitting in the Dinner Package seats anyway and had multiple family members make repeat trips up the steps to complain to a manager about this poor CM. About 12 of us rose up in the CM's defense and basically cleared things up for her, but man it burned me up that some low-life would behave that way at a Christmas show for heaven's sake. Nice Christmas spirt! And then there was the moron in front of me who literally sat there on his stupid Blackberry throughout the ENTIRE SHOW! Forget how rude that is to begin with, but him banging away on that thing, flicking the thumbwheel up and down, screen blazing in my face was so distracting I had a tough time enjoying the show. It was everything I could do not to grab the thing out of his hand and crush it under my heel! Then there was the guy in Fantasyland puffing away on a cigarette. I politely told him it was a no smoking area and he looked at me and with the biggest redneck accent you can imagine said, "I kin if I wanna." Honestly, I kinda lost it with him a little bit and asked him if he was trying to be some kind of a tough guy. His humiliated wife forced him to put out his cigarette and dragged him away apologizing for his behavior. There were so many other instances of bad behavior I can't even go into them all. I swear people are just clueless anymore as to how to behave in public! :mad:A few other notes and random thoughts ... we took advantage of that $99 a night rate at Gaylord Palms on Friday the 14th. Pretty good deal for a hotel of this caliber.

Because the idea of making that 17 hour drive home seemed intolerable, we ended up taking the Auto Train home with my Mom and Joe. That was fun! I love traveling by train and it was so much more relaxing than either driving or flying. Plus, the hospitality was pretty darn good, too!

All in all, it was a great trip, though. I love WDW at Christmastime and we plan on making this early December trip an annual event. Thank goodness our DVC use year starts 12/1!

I'll post some pics soon ...

JPL
12-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi all,

Honestly, I swear Disney has completely gone bonkers with their crowd control lately. They routed us into the Streets of America in the most ridiculous way ... I can't even tell you! We basically had to fight our way upstream against all the guests pouring out from having seen the show already. It was really annoying, what with having two strollers and all. The lights were spectacular as always, though!

First off great report :thumbsup:

This is exactly how it was last year at Mousefest Patricia and I had to fight our way upstream and then to the other side of the street to purchase the Osbourne pins. Then back down to get back near John and then upstream again to see the lights :( It seemed like they wanted a flow of people yet let people in the area from every direction possible.

Ian
12-18-2007, 02:27 PM
This wasn't the only place I noticed this either. Used to be on the monorail they'd set it up so that exiting guests and boarding guests didn't have to cross paths ... now they just throw open the gates and doors at the same time and let everyone fend for themselves.

RedheadWriter
12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
:mickey:Ian, Great report! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Rachel

murphy1
12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the report! I was wondering when one of you guys was going to give one, not that you don't have a million other things goin' on, right?? I encountered the same kind of stuff at Epcot during F & W Festival, drunk, surly people that were rude, it was not great with kids around. I met up with Terra and she said the same thing.

faline
12-18-2007, 02:57 PM
I'll bet your daughter was a beautiful princess!

Sounds like you had a fun group to tour with!

Momof2boys
12-18-2007, 03:04 PM
It's my goal to get down there for Christmas - and this reports makes me want to try even harder. Sounds like you guys really had a great trip, despite rude people.

PirateLover
12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the report! I still have to get moving on mine. I'm hoping to post the first part soon... I was having trouble uploading my pics and video and wanted to wait for everything.

I'm jealous you got dream fastpasses! This was our 2nd trip during year of a million dreams and again we didn't see a single dream team member. Oh well!

Ian
12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
It was kinda funny with the Dream Fastpasses ... we just barely missed getting them on this trip like 3 times.

Once on Buzz Lightyear they literally started giving them out just 3 people beyond the last person in our party.

Another time we stood between IASW and Peter Pan debating which to go on first. We ended up picking Peter Pan, only to find out after the fact that they gave out the FP's on IASW while we were riding Pan!

The other time we just missed them getting off Peter Pan ... they were wrapping up and leaving right as we got off. We must have missed it by no more than 10 people.

We finally ended up winning on our very last 3 hours in Magic Kingdom ... we got them on Winnie the Pooh the day we were leaving. We did like a whirlwind tour of MK that morning and wouldn't you know it? We won!

We didn't use any of them, though. I kept them all intact as great souvenirs of our trip! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
For the most part it sounds great. I would have been very upset about the Candlelight Processional...those guests should have been removed from the package seating area or from the show completely...if they have a policy it should be enforced for everyone especially when other guests are explaining that the CM did nothing wrong. I've seen some rude behavior by guests as well..

AbeeNormal
12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
First of all, your report was great, and I'm sorry you ran into some really obnoxious people.

I can't wait to see your pictures it sounds like your daughter had an incredible time at the BBB and I hope I get to see her. I have two boys so I have to live vicariously threw families with girls for all of the girly stuff I miss. :princess:

:santa3::snowman::deer:Merry Christmas:deer::snowman::santa3:

Christine
12-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Great report, Ian! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you had a lovely time! Sorry about the white trash woman and redneck man. I know how infuriating it is...sadly in my neck of the woods I deal with it OFTEN! :shake: :cowboy:

Can't wait to see pics of your little "Belle"!

murphy1
12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
My goodness, Ian, I think you are the luckiest ma-ma-ma-man on the face of the earth!!

I have to say this, (I am from Florida and am allowed this one), there are so many rednecks from Florida it's not even funny! I felt like how did I end up like I was and these people like this???? I see less of 'em in GA, but I don't get much past Atlanta.

SgtTigger
12-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Meeting Sig Hansen (from Deadliest Catch) in Epcot's Norway. Very cool!!

That had to be cool..............

Thanks for the report........ You got a lot covered.....

:cop: :tigger:

Ian
12-20-2007, 08:08 AM
I promise I'll get pics posted soon ... it's holiday time and things are a little crazy!

KylesMom
12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the wonderful details, Ian. Great to hear the little man "gets it" at one, and that DD was the "Belle" of the Ball! :mickey:

Isn't it amazing how much joy we can have in our hearts around this time of year, only to find that others don't have the spirit? Sorry you encountered more than a few on your trip.

Also, Space Mountain was broken down multiple times on our trip We've found this more and more often with each trip - while I'll hate to see it go down, I really think the refurb talk needs to get serious at this attraction.

Thanks again for sharing!

ChipnDaleGal
12-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Classic examples of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly during your trip, but I think it sounded like the good far outweighed the bad. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

Jeff
12-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the report!:thumbsup:

DizNee143
12-20-2007, 02:06 PM
sounds like a pretty good time you guys had..except for some stupid people!! thanx for sharing!! :mickey:

RedSoxFan
12-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Look forward to the pics.:mickey:

pdrlkr
12-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

mudpuppysmom
12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
HIGH: Meeting Sig Hansen (from Deadliest Catch) in Epcot's Norway. Very cool!!

That is just outstanding!!! My DS (5) would just have gone nuts to meet Sig!! He LOVES watching Deadliest Catch!!!

Glad you had another nice trip!! Even in the presence of unpleasantness we can still have wonderful memories that quickly overtake the nasty ones.

dundeehunter
12-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Ian,
I totally agree about the "herd" of people down Mainstreet on Saturday night. I was right there with your family. We arrived at MK at 8:30 and it took us 30 minutes to get to the castle. My mother was in an ECV and nearly ran people over, not intentionally. The CM's were waving their blue and red lights, but it did nothing for the crowd. The only upside to this "herd" of people was that we were on our way toward the Castle and we had a GREAT view for Wishes...
Once the crowd was gone, the park was very pleasant. We stayed that night until midnight with my girls riding the TeaCups 3 times in a row with no wait at 11:00pm.

Thanks for the trip report!:mickey:

Ian
12-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Isn't it amazing how much joy we can have in our hearts around this time of year, only to find that others don't have the spirit? Sorry you encountered more than a few on your trip.That's so funny. That's almost exactly what I was saying to myself at CP. I'm sitting there basking in the glow of the yultide spirit ... thrilled to be sharing this special, private moment with my little girl ...

And then next to me Rosanne Barr and Tom Arnold are pounding down brew, cursing out the cast members, and generally making obnoxious fools of themselves. :rolleyes:

... while I'll hate to see it go down, I really think the refurb talk needs to get serious at this attraction.Agreed. It's just time.

Classic examples of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly during your trip, but I think it sounded like the good far outweighed the bad.Definitely! :thumbsup:

That is just outstanding!!! My DS (5) would just have gone nuts to meet Sig!! He LOVES watching Deadliest Catch!!!I posted a pic of me with Sig in the Movies forum if you want to make him green with envy. ;)

vizsla
12-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the report.

dolphinmickey9170
12-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Ian, thanks for the report. I'll be posting mine soon as well. I can't wait to see the pictures. And I have to look into the auto train. 15 hours in the family minivan.....with a one year old, sometimes it's torture.

harlowandthemermaid
12-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I wish we could've made MVMCP with you all! It would've been great to get the kids on a few rides. Maybe next time:mickey:

Thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to the pics!

I was wondering if you all wound up on the autotrain.;)

disneylovinmom
12-26-2007, 11:35 PM
We were there 12/15 to 12/22 and also encountered many rude people. Our main complaint is the grownups who push and shove their way only to stand right in front of your children so they can't see the shows and parades and will not move when politely asked. Congrats on the fast passes. We didn't see any of the Dream prize givers while we were there. A really sweet girl that worked at MGM did take us to the front of the fast pass line on TOT when we did not have fast passes after we stopped and chatted with her for a few minutes. It sounds like the good outweighed the bad on your trip as it did on ours. Glad you had a good time.:mickey:

Magic Smiles
12-27-2007, 02:03 AM
HIGH: We finally won Dream Fastpasses. It's been sort of frustrating to me to come so close to getting them so many times, so it was nice to finally score a set. Please with hold all, "Yeah, but you won the Castle Suite!!!" comments. ;)
HIGH: Candlelight Processional! We had Chita Rivera as our reader and she was really good.
LOW: The other guests. I was so shocked at some of the just downright rude behavior I saw, especially at Candlelight Processional, if you can believe that. No sooner had we sat down than some white trash lady started giving this poor CM a really hard time for nothing. She hadn't paid for the Dinner Package, but she wanted to sit in the Dinner Package area. The CM (who was a really sweet senior citizen) politely explained to her that she couldn't sit there and this woman and her clan just flat out ignored her. When the CM tapped the woman's daughter on the shoulder to get her attention she made a big fuss and the Mom went off the deep end that the CM had "put her hands on her daughter." These people were a real mess ... obviously intoxicated, with a slew of empties trailing in their wake. They ended up sitting in the Dinner Package seats anyway and had multiple family members make repeat trips up the steps to complain to a manager about this poor CM. About 12 of us rose up in the CM's defense and basically cleared things up for her, but man it burned me up that some low-life would behave that way at a Christmas show for heaven's sake. Nice Christmas spirt! And then there was the moron in front of me who literally sat there on his stupid Blackberry throughout the ENTIRE SHOW! Forget how rude that is to begin with, but him banging away on that thing, flicking the thumbwheel up and down, screen blazing in my face was so distracting I had a tough time enjoying the show. It was everything I could do not to grab the thing out of his hand and crush it under my heel! Then there was the guy in Fantasyland puffing away on a cigarette. I politely told him it was a no smoking area and he looked at me and with the biggest redneck accent you can imagine said, "I kin if I wanna." Honestly, I kinda lost it with him a little bit and asked him if he was trying to be some kind of a tough guy. His humiliated wife forced him to put out his cigarette and dragged him away apologizing for his behavior. There were so many other instances of bad behavior I can't even go into them all. I swear people are just clueless anymore as to how to behave in public! :mad
We just spent 17 days in WDW and I did not even see the Dream Team once. We did see their results of winning families a few times, but never set my eyes upon the dream team.

We also saw Chita Rivera at the Candlelight Processional, but couldn't really tell you if she was good or not. We must have been there a different night as we did not see the woman and her family that you speak about. I did however, as my luck would have it, have a family with a couple of rowdy kids 'sitting' behind me. As they talked and wrestled with each other, hit me in the head numerous time all throughout the show. My DH got angry at me when I kept turning to give them dirty looks. Of course I was the one getting hit on the noggin' not him.
I found that there were many individuals with rude behavoir this visit. The 3 young ladies who talked throughout the complete Wishes fireworks display. Why did they even bother to 'watch' it? I had to go buy the soundtrack to lay over my video that I took. I do however now have a complete recording of their conversation. Any bids for it?

And then the smokers.............that could be a book in itself. One 'gentleman' who insisted on walking by our room every day while smoking. I mentioned to him that it was not a smoking area. He later confronted me again in the food court and wanted to know what room I was in. Yah right, like I was going to tell him. He then said that he wasn't smoking cigarettes. No I know, he was smoking a cigar. Hello .........that is still smoking. I saw at least one or two individuals every day smoking in non smoking areas, especially outside the hotel rooms.
Then there were the cheerleaders....another book. Who ever said that you wouldn't notice them, sorry but they were so wrong. I have to say that the ones that we had to chance to cross paths with were probably some of the worst behaved girls I have ever seen. And the stories that the CMs were telling us were unbelievable........driving the hotel carts into the river and another into the resort pool. And that is only one, there were many other reports along with what I had the pleasure of witnessing myself.

shadowden
12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
When we drove down last spring, we stayed in Savannah, too. Beautiful city, and when we woke the next day, we only had about a 5-hr drive left to go.

Did the BBB thing, too. Definately have to agree that it was worth the arm and leg I gave them to see the smile on my *little Cinderella's* face while she was given the royal treatment. What made it more exciting was going to eat lunch with Cinderella right afterwards. The picture we got was too cute!

Ian
12-28-2007, 03:41 PM
And I have to look into the auto train. 15 hours in the family minivan.....with a one year old, sometimes it's torture.Well it would definitely be less torturous, that's for sure.

Unless you're talking about the damage it does to your wallet! :rolleyes:

Ian
12-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Pics!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=62474025211.318551586111.1198965001017&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0

dolphinmickey9170
12-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Pics!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=62474025211.318551586111.1198965001017&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0

Hey Ian, your link isn't working. It states your album is no longer valid:(