PDA

View Full Version : They are falling in love WAY too young now

Here we go again...
12-18-2007, 07:11 AM
You are not going to believe this...
Tonight my DD was going through her DD's booksack and found a note from her new "boyfriend". My granddaughter just told me about her new boyfriend last week. When I asked her about the old boyfriend she said they were breaking up because she likes this new boy.
My granddaughter is 7... yes SEVEN.

The note my DD found in the booksack was a note from the little boy telling her how much he loves her, wants to marry her and have babies with her... in a little more detail.

My DD called the boys mom and they were mortified but mentioned that they have been having the "talk" with their boys recently so that might have caused the problem.
They also told my DD that my grand DD has been calling their house at 7 am on the weekends. She has been getting up before everyone and making calls.

This is going to be interesting.

Beth, Jamie and Rob, if you are reading this then you know the curse works...she got one just like her. ;)

Mickey'sGirl
12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm just sending you some :pixie: for your sanity, Angel! Kids are soooo much older these days!

My neice had a boyfriend in kindergarten -- he was little more than a steady playdate -- but now she is in grade 7 (she is 12) and they recently "hooked" up at a dance. She said her heart flutters. I just hope it doesn't break!

MsMin
12-18-2007, 09:43 AM
They learn WAY too much from TV and movies and hopefully not other ways. Keep them young as long as you can. I say it's time to take her to WDW to keep her in fantasyland just a little longer. :hug: :pixie:

Sunshine1010
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I too think that TV has a lot to do with it.

My 6 year old son watches DRAKE AND JOSH and all Drake does it make out with girls. Needless to say.....I've nipped that in the bud and put it back on Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents.

But then, when watching Fairly Oddparents, one episode was talking about a dog getting 'snipped'.

Even CARS has a few things that I wished my son didn't see......like the comment about the Piston Cup, and Mater says..."he did what in the cup?"....(you know what I mean). Plus, they used the word H-E-double-hockeysticks.

My son has already asked me how and WHERE babies come out....and HOW babies are made. He's SIX!......he kept saying,..."mama, just tell me the truth because I can handle it". Six years old going on 13.

Funny thing is.....he's asking me these questions while he's holding his blankie. he he

Jeez......I didn't ask until I was 14.

Ian
12-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Not to be judgemental or anything, but am I crazy for thinking that 7 years old is just a tad young for having "the talk"??

I mean really ... the rush to adulthood for our kids these days is getting ridiculous. Let them be kids! They'll grow up soon enough all on their own ...

Terra
12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Not to be judgemental or anything, but am I crazy for thinking that 7 years old is just a tad young for having "the talk"??

I mean really ... the rush to adulthood for our kids these days is getting ridiculous. Let them be kids! They'll grow up soon enough all on their own ...

I completely agree with you Ian!!!!! It really makes me sad!

And the even sadder truth is that parents almost have to have the talk that young anymore! My DH as well as about 5 other friends are all teachers at various schools in our county [ranging from a normal High School classroom, Middle school, to Special Needs]...
And the average age [at least in our area] for children becoming "active" is 13!!!! "13"!!! I am floored!! Many are younger....10,11,12....very sad! My one friend who teaches 7th grade Science says he has girls coming in ALREADY pregnant, some sadly even have STD's as well as the boys!
BTW, in our county is the highest in Florida I think for teenage pregnancy...I think the last statistic was that a baby was born to a teenage mother every 2 weeks here in our county.

And kids are experimenting younger and younger with other things as well....

It just blows my mind...I'm only 36...but at 7 years old I had NO clue...I didn't even care about boys...I was into dolls still...and even at the age of 13, 14, 15...I had no interest....

It makes me worried for what my own son will face when he becomes that age....

PirateLover
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM

I was just gonna say something along these lines. I don't think kids are necessarily falling in love earlier, but they are growing up faster. There's always been such a thing as puppy love. Every little girl dreams of being Cinderella and finding her Prince Charming. However it used to be something cute and innocent. Nowadays it's becoming too real too fast. Having worked at a day camp for 9 years I witnessed the changes first hand. Kids know graphic details at such a young age now.

Sunshine1010
12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, 7 years old is too young....in my opinion.

But I suppose it's the responsibility of the parent to inform the child when they become curious. They became curious for a reason....I'm sure TV, school, friends, older siblings, etc.

In my town,....there are 2 girls that are pregnant --- and they are in JUNIOR high school (which is 7th and 8th grade).

Here we go again...
12-18-2007, 05:59 PM

That is what I think. According to the parent of the little boy they had the talk because the parents noticed he was having "reactions" when ever he saw a pretty girl. I this that is one of the dumbest things I ever heard.
It is possible to discuss what is going on with a 7 year old's body without bringing making babies into to subject. They went too far.

My DD is having a hard time explaining things to my grand DD without making her feel like she did something wrong. And, she was not ready to have this kind of talk with her....

Sunshine1010
12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Is there any way that we can turn this thread into a positive one?

NewmanFamily6
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Ok here is a lighter note for you. I had to have the talk with our almost 11 year old DD because she was hearing incorrect info from friends. After the talk she looks at me and I quote says" That has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard in my life. Thank God my Dad doesn't do that!" :blush: I told her we would revisit this at alater time because she had obviously missed something;)

PirateLover
12-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Ok here is a lighter note for you. I had to have the talk with our almost 11 year old DD because she was hearing incorrect info from friends. After the talk she looks at me and I quote says" That has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard in my life. Thank God my Dad doesn't do that!" :blush: I told her we would revisit this at alater time because she had obviously missed something;)

:rotfl: I wish I could post a quote from my mom but I think it might be too risque. I had the talk at 11 I think because I had already started puberty.

Sunshine1010
12-19-2007, 12:56 AM
.....it was just announced that Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant at 16.

Here we go again...
12-19-2007, 06:11 AM

What a messed up family.

I was looking to see if someone had found a way to make this a positive post... I guess the positive is... I'm glad My DD is not pregnant at 16.

You know, in our house we have always been very open and honest with our kids. We answer things on a need to know basis. When ever we were asked a question, we answered based on how much we thought they needed to know at the age they were. We did fine with my oldest DD. She asked a lot of questions and we had a lot of answers. Things worked out great. She shared every thing with me... to a point that I would cringe sometimes. But she did it because I was non judgemental and she knew we could talk about any thing. She is now 27 and we are still very close.

My younger DD does not ask as many questions. She is now 13 and getting to a point that I worry about what she is hearing at school. My oldest DD spent the day with her one day and I have no idea what they talked about, but now my youngest DD is beginning to tell me every thing... once again to the point that I cringe sometimes.

She shocked the stew out of me the other day when she told me what some of the 12 and 13 year old girls are doing in school - on school property! They do not date any more, they hook up.

I work in a pharmacy so I have been getting lots of info on teen pregnancy and stds for her to read. At this point she cares more about dance than boys. I hope it stays that way for a long time.

Terra
12-19-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm outta of the loop...who is that? lol....sad she is so young though!

Hmmm...lighter note...Remeber the days when "puppy love" was much less complicated and we used to pass notes that said "Do you like me...circle yes or no.." :D Ahhh the good ole' days!!

Sunshine1010
12-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Britney Spears younger sister.

Terra
12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
ah thanks! I'm so not up on pop culture...LOL...
so sad though...from what little I've heard that family is really having some issues....

buzznwoodysmom
12-19-2007, 09:52 AM

I have to completely agree with this. My oldest son is 7, he'll be 8 in just two months. He is no where near mature enough for me or DH to have the "talk" with him. He still plays with toys, calls me mommy sometimes, and believes in many things he won't believe in one day. It would break my heart to see him pretending to be so grown up. They grow up fast enough as it is. And thank goodness, my 5 year old still acts like my baby sometimes. DH and I try to be very carefull about what they watch and what we say and watch in front of them. I know you can't shield you child from everything, but I think some parents just don't try hard enough to protect their innocent children.

Angel,
I am so sorry your daughter is facing this type of thing already. That kind of scares me for when these kids get closet to teenagers. I wish her lots of luck in dealing with this.