PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Family Trip Report (Food, Buses and Lodging)

reesemurphy
12-17-2007, 10:13 AM
12/8 - 12/15 AS Movies
Cast:
Teresa (me) - 40
Jessica (DD)- 11
Lisa (friend) - 40
Ray (her hubby)
Alyssa (friends) - 12
Hannah (friends) - 10

Well, we just returned on Saturday from our long awaited trip to Disney. We had a fabulous time so I figured I would give you the highlights and lowlights.

The Room: We booked a room in the ASM preferred section, and we got put in the first Toy Story building closest to the food court and busses! :thumbsup: It was decorated on the outside with toy soldiers - the three girls in our group would have prefered the dalamatians, but we couldn't beat the fact that we got an ajoining room and the close proximity to the lobby and food court. The room is very much a motel room, but it served our needs well. Mousekeeping was OK. First night we got a mickey mouse shape on the beds, followed by a washcloth christmas present and a shell type shaped towel. We left tip envelopes every day, but the rest of the trip we didn't get any animals. :confused: Guess it depends on the mousekeeper. The food court served decent food, but was relative crowded at all times. The gift shop was great - bought alot of souveniers here. Fantasia pool was cold, Mighty Ducks pool MUCH warmer!

:mickey:Tip: If you prefer hotels over motels, upgrade to moderate. It will cost you about 2X what ALL stars cost though.

The Transportation: First time using the Disney buses. I think it is a pretty good system but at times we had to wait and we stood on quite a few trips. MK is the longest ride but we usually arrived between 15 - 30 minutes once the bus was fully loaded. They also need to have a bus from each park specifically going to downtown disney instead of having to go back to a resort and change buses.

:mickey:Tip: Study your map and plan for travel time. MK is farthest from All Stars and AK closest. Prepare to stand, but hope to sit on bus.

The Food: My daughter and I definitely got our money's worth on the DDP. We at some FINE meals at Coral Reef, Shutters, Narcooses, Chef Mickey's and Tusker House. The counter service meals were standard burger/chicken tenders/fries with a few more healthier salads and pastas thrown in. We found that with just 2 full meals we didn't really feel hungry for snacks. We used several snack credits for drinks in the parks, and bought some snacks to take home as souveniers - mostly mickey rice crispie treats and cookies. A counter service meal (drink, meal and desert) cost between $10-12 and our dinners at table service were between $20 and $50 each person. Narcooses cost 2 credits each, and my total bill including gratuity was $165 for the two of us. Our friends and their two daughters did NOT get their money's worth. Their children are not hearty eaters and and being over 9 they paid adult prices for the meal plan. They wasted alot of food, and could have probably shared meals if they did not have the DDP.

:mickey:Tip: Sit down meals took at least 2 hours each - so keep that in mind when making your reseravations and try to book restaurants in the park you are going to that day.

Part 2 - separate post - Parks, Service, Fun!

:D Teresa

faline
12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Glad it was a good trip!

They used to run buses between Downtown Disney and the parks. They stopped when many folks took advantage of the free parking at Downtown Disney for transportation to the parks.

pdrlkr
12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

AbeeNormal
12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. :cloud9:

Thanks so much for the heads up about the time it takes for TS, I was really surprised to see that. :eek:

Thanks for sharing your trip:D

RedheadWriter
12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for sharing!!! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
We stayed at All Star Movies a lot when my daughter was younger and we always had a great time there. I'm glad it worked out well for your group. Thanks for reporting. :mickey: