PDA

View Full Version : Mama Mia! (In theaters 7/18/2008)

NotaGeek
12-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, so I absolutely LOVE the musical Mamma Mia! It was the first show I ever saw in London back when I was in college, and I freely admit that I have always thought ABBA's music was brilliant, so put that on stage and it was like magic.

I was horrified when they brought Mamma Mia to the stage in Las Vegas -- Vegas has that history of making everything short enough not to take away more than 45 minutes from gambling... you can imagine what I thought when I learned they were making Mamma Mia! into a feature film.

So I finally saw the trailer ... WOW! Meryl Streep AND Colin Firth? Now I can't wait...

Check out the Official Mamma Mia! Site (http://www.mammamiamovie.com/) or the AOL Movie Phone page (http://movies.aol.com/movie/mamma-mia/25931/main) to see the trailer in HD.

Anyone else eager for next summer?

Melanie
12-16-2007, 10:55 PM
{chanting}

Colin Firth, Colin Firth, Colin Firth, Colin Firth

:blush:

Yeah, I guess I'll go see it. :D

Grrr. I can't see the trailer. :bang:

Meghan
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I was horrified when they brought Mamma Mia to the stage in Las Vegas -- Vegas has that history of making everything short enough not to take away more than 45 minutes from gambling...

Rest assured that Las Vegas shows Mammia Mia in it's entirety. It's far from a 45 minute production. :thumbsup:

I'm very excited for this film. Meryl's singing sounds great in the trailer. Amanda's too. I didn't know either of them sang, so that's a pleasant suprise.

ChipnDaleGal
12-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Mamma Mia is one of my all time favorite musicals!! It always makes me feel happy and upbeat. I think I have seen it six times in theatres and I am really looking forward to seeing it in movie form. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
12-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Not a big fan of Mamma Mia. Saw it on Broadway in 2003 on a senior trip but then again I did go into it a little bitter. Our original class choice was RENT, but I went to a private religious school and all these parents protested because of the "content." Well Mamma Mia wasn't a picture of the Blessed Mother either but whatever.

At any rate I'll probably end up seeing this simply because of Colin Firth. I happen to think the trailer looks a little over the top but the singing does sound good:thumbsup:

Carol
12-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I cannot wait! :wait:

I was horrified when they brought Mamma Mia to the stage in Las Vegas -- Vegas has that history of making everything short enough not to take away more than 45 minutes from gambling...We'll just have to check our watches when we see it in Vegas this Spring, Michael. Ya know we're almost into double numbers?? :joy:

NotaGeek
06-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I can't believe I posted this WAAAAAAAY back in December ... and the movie opens next month still. There is a lot of good buzz on the internet, so that's a good sign. I can't wait to see this movie!

ChipnDaleGal
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
This is the movie I am most excited to see this summer. From the trailers I have seen, they have done a fabulous job with all of the sets. The stage production has very minimal sets, and the movies really looks like it brought to life the things I imagined in my head. I am so excited to see Christine Baranski as Tanya! :thumbsup:

Disneyexpert15
06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I never saw Mamma Mia on Broadway!! From the previews, I might see the movie it looks like a good musical movie :) Colin Firth is in it which is a good thing!!!

disneycutie165
06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I love Mamma Mia so much! The first time I saw it was last year at my friend's house. I was in love. It was amazing! I saw the preview and I was psyched! And Stellan Skarsgard from Pirates of the Caribbean as Bootstrap Bill is in it!:number1::joy: And Meryl Streep!:jaw:I didn't know she could sing, even though I am a big fan!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
{chanting}

Colin Firth, Colin Firth, Colin Firth, Colin Firth

:blush:

:high5: :exactly:

disneycutie165
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Mamma Mia was so awesome!Definately a mother-daughter movie. It was a little longer than expected. Great idea for a movie! Did anyone see it? It came in #2 in box office. What did any one else think?

SBETigg
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to take my sister in a week or two. I don't love Abba, but I do love Colin Firth, and I heard it was a really fun movie.

DisneyWhirled
07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Saw it with my mom this weekend. Having seen the broadway version, it had a lot to compare to for me.

It was good and cute, too. I can only say that Pierce Bronsan (sp?) cannot sing! EEK!! I also felt that Meryl Streep, although, very good, was a little too old for the role.

I did like it very much, though!

MegaDisney
07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
All the reviews I have seen have panned it.

"the dancing is all skip around with your hands in the air, and Pierce Brosnon's singing is as close to the sounds a Water Buffalo makes as a human can get"

"Meryl Streep fake laughs so much she must have been taking hits of laughing gas"

mickeys_princess_mom
07-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Ignore the critics and just go see it. You will sing, cry (especially if you just had three children get married...) and leave smiling (and singing:blush:) Haven't heard grownups burst into applause (twice!) at a movie in a long time. Just go enjoy yourself. :wave:
And don't leave too early...

Dragongirlx
07-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Pierce Bronsan (sp?) cannot sing! EEK!! I also felt that Meryl Streep, although, very good, was a little too old for the role.

I disagree I thought Pierce Brosnan was wonderful in it and could sing very well . Meryl Streep did struggle with the singing a bit though.

I did love this film though and immediatley went out and bought the soundtrack when I came out of the cinema

Disneyexpert15
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I saw Mamma Mia the movie last Friday afternoon. I loved it!!!!! :thumbsup: The music is awesome and when I got home I bought the music from the movie from ITUNES :number1: I would see it again!!!

d_m_n_n
07-24-2008, 09:05 PM
"the dancing is all skip around with your hands in the air, and Pierce Brosnon's singing is as close to the sounds a Water Buffalo makes as a human can get"

:laughing: That is funny and (not that I've heard a water buffalo personally) it may be true. However, the movie was FUN to watch and that was what I needed. I took DS6 (long story, not that it was planned) and he liked it as well. :D The adult themes went over his head, thank goodness. I am so glad to finally have seen it and I think I'll probably be buying the DVD when it comes out!

TheDuckRocks
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I have never been a big fan of Abba, but after seeing the previews I thought I'd give Mamma Mia! a try. I'm so happy I did.........I absolutely loved it. OK, so Pierce Brosan can't sing, who cares he's still as cute as can be. Meryl Streep did a good job with the singing, looks wonderful in her close ups and moves like someone much younger (that bouncing on the bed was no stunt double). Colin Frith, Colin Frith, Colin Frith enough said. The location was completely breath taking. Oh, and yes I even loved the music. I sat in that theater with a major grin all over my face.:D Loved it.

Earnhardt321
07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Ok I went to Mama Mia last night and loved it! I would have gone back in to watch the next showing to!! I have not seen the live version hopefully I will in London in November. This movie was great. I highly recomend it!!!

ChipnDaleGal
08-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Our schedule has been so hectic lately that we finally had a free afternoon to get to the movies. We saw Mamma Mia yesterday and it was wonderful. I think it captured the spirit of the musical very well, even though a few of the actors were not the best of singers. The location was absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous! For the most part I loved the cast, Meryl, Christine and Julie were really wonderful as Donna and her friends. I loved Colin Firth as Harry, and he did the best of the men in the singing department. I admit I am not a Pierce fan, so I am not crazy about him in the role of Sam. I thought his singing was atrocious, and his acting not much better. Stellan was fun for Bill and it was nice to see him in a comedic role. LOVED the ending with the two songs as the credits played. It was a wonderful afternoon at the movies and it had all three of us feeling very happy and humming on our way out. My daughter and I hope to see it again on Wednesday for her birthday. We give the movie three :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
08-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I was wondering if/when you had seen the movie, Donna! Glad to hear that you liked it. :D

Ed
08-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but we did see the stage production in Orlando this week, and absolutely loved it! :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I went to see it last Friday and really loved it. It made me want to hop a plane and go to Greece. Such beautiful scenery! I thought it was fun and happy and upbeat. I loved the ending! Pierce Brosnan really shouldn't sing. I thought he sounded a bit like Joe Cocker, but I actually like Joe Cocker, so that can't be right. Meryl was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Melanie
09-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Finally saw this movie tonight, and since I smiled the entire movie, I'm planning on seeing it again on Tuesday. Loved it!