PDA

View Full Version : Which Moderate would you stay at with preschoolers?

Mom2Boys
12-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Again!
We are wanting to stay at the WL or Poly. But that might not be on our budget in April. We are going to make our final arrangements for the trip this week. We will mostly be at the MK. Where would you stay at the Moderate Hotels for fun for preschoolers, pools, kid friendly places to eat,, close to MK or ease of getting to parks. We will most likely take a break some time mid day? Is it really better just to go with the deluxe if we think we can?
Thank You!
Paige

wedway76
12-16-2007, 03:00 PM
IMHO, If I plan to spend most of my time in the MK and I am looking for convenience for myself, I would select a Deluxe on the monorail line.

If I want to stay somewhere that a preschooler would love I would skip the Moderates and stay ay a Value. I think the Values are WONDERFUL for preschoolers. I know a lot of posters on this board get a rash when they see the V word, but for kids under the age of 6 or 7 I think the Value Resorts can’t be beat.

SBETigg
12-16-2007, 03:53 PM
If budget is a big issue, you might consider the values. I think the moderate POFQ might be the ideal choice for you. It's smaller than most resorts, has a great pool for younger kids, a boat ride away from Downtown Disney, and a first bus pick-up over POR.

Deluxes with little ones are a great choice and WL isn't always that much more expensive per night over the moderates, so I would definitely price it out. The Poly is great but not worth spending the extra if you're on a tight budget over the WL, which is also a great choice for families with little ones.

KAT1811
12-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd go with a deluxe if you can swing it. We went in September with 3 DDs (10, 3, & 1) and we stayed in a moderate (like we usually do) but on this trip it was crazy. We really wished that we were on the monerail line. On our next trip (November 2008) we'll certainly be on the line.

If you do decide to do a moderate we love the Coronado Springs Resort. The resort is host to quite a few conventions but in our opinion that is what makes it such a great choice for vacationers that are not there for conventions. Many of the conventioneers do not use the pools and rarely use the busses so we have never seen it busy at the pool nor have we had to wait for another bus because one was full. The pool is great with the jaguar slide and pyramid. The resort is quite a bit spread out but they have these cute little golf cart type shuttles that transport you all over the resort. The kids think they are great.

You'll have a great time no matter where you stay. I wouldn't kill yourselves just to stay in the deluxes. We rarely have in the past and have always had a great time.

Another option would be to do a cabin in FW, in the middle price wise and close to the MK. Plus FW has hay rides, a petting zoo, Chip and Dale's campfire movies, pony rides, and the EWP passes by the beach at night. Plus you and DH would have your own space to relax while the little ones are resting and sleeping. They also have their own kitchen.

Flower
12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I too would choose Coronado.

The large pool with the Mayan theme is awesome, but the have a kiddie pool too. The playground at Coronado is wonderful and includes a boneyard/digsite too!

I love staying in the Cabanas section because of the beach and hammocks - bring a shovel and pail for your little one(s)!!

Madame Leona
12-16-2007, 09:40 PM
We stayed at POFQ when ds was 11 months and 15 months. It was perfect. It is a smaller resort so there weren't any long walks to get something to eat or to go the pool. He liked the boat ride to downtown Disney and the bus stop is close to everything.

JoDisney
12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
I would definitely stay at POFQ. The main pool is a sea serpent and the slide is not long and the pool water is not very high in many places. It is a smaller resort, too. It is perfect for preschool age. I did this when my children were little. Now, they are older and prefer a bigger slide and pool.

crazeedizneefinatic
12-16-2007, 11:26 PM
If you are considering a moderate. We liked CBR. They have wonderful beaches and if you order a kids meal at the food court it comes in a bucket with a shovel. We also stayed by a very nice playground and the quiet pools were just right. I have a 7 year old and he just loved the little nooks and crannys we found that had hammocks and sand. There is also a winding pathway from the one side of the resort to the main side where the pool and food court/gift shop was. They pipe in carribbean music and we danced every time we walked that path. The resort is huge but you never feel crowded and the kids can have a good time. We spend a majority of the time in the parks and just cannot justify the cost of a deluxe at this time. Good luck choosing, I think every resort has one thing to like about it.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
12-17-2007, 09:37 AM
IMHO, I would like to suggest our "home away from home"...POR AB....the kids will love it, not to mention you too !!!! The food court is very kid friendly and good food to boot. Give it a try and you'll see what I'm talking about....have fun, as any place you stay will be great...you'll be at Disney and that's all that matters !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

mouselover93
12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
my oipinion. the varibean resort nice pools a beach they can play on and theres a playgrounds on the beachs which i thought was pretty cool 2 thumbs up

minnie-mouse
12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
CBR is great for preschoolers. Lots of playgrounds, great pools, large food court, great grounds for taking long walks. But if your budget can swing it, Poly or a monorail resort is always the most convenient, especially with small children. The quick monorail or boat ride to MK can't be beat, especially when you have a tired little one on your hands and you want to get back to the hotel quick for a nap or afternoon at the pool.

Good luck!

jenfriend
12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
We really enjoyed our stay at POR. The pool area is on an island, nice playground, butterfly garden, water sport rentals, boat to DD. It is a sprawling resort, so I would recommend requesting the AB section. We brought our own stroller from home which was essential to getting our sleeping 2 yo from bus to our mansion room. I'm so glad we didn't just figure on stroller rentals at the parks. We also walked over to POFQ. It is smaller so that may be a good choice too.

Kairi_7378
12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates. I liked POR/POFQ for their location and transportation. CBR's main pool is going to have a renovation in 2008, so check your dates. I haven't stayed at CSR but my cousins have and they had a blast there!

Diz-Knee
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
If you can swing it, the Poly is very convenient as far as transportation goes and great when you are in a hurry to get out of the parks and to your room or the pool with little ones. Not only are you on the monorail but you can also walk to the TTC.

You didn't mention it as an option, but keep in mind you can also walk to the MK from the Contemporary. I haven't stayed there since they have made the changes in the wings so things could have changed.

My only moderate experience was POFQ and my son was 16 months and enjoyed the kiddie pool. I've always read great things about CBR for little ones too. I like the idea the others suggested about Coronado Springs and the light crowds, however that one is pretty far away from MK so it could take a while to get back to your room in the afternoon.

krorx
01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
We loved the Poly, but understanding you have to budget, I would say POFQ is a lovely second choice. We stayed there when my kids were very young and it was great. The size of the resort is a huge plus when you're returning from days of walking your legs off. And the dragon themed pool was a huge hit with my kids.:D

c&d
01-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I would say either POFQ or POR. I personally like POR better. We liked the pool and food court better than POFQ. We also really liked staying in the AB section when DS was little.

FaithTrustPixieDust
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
You mentioned that you might need to go back to the room for mid-day breaks. If you can't swing one of the deluxe resorts on the monorail, then you might consider staying in a value and renting a car. (if you won't already have a car) The values have great theming that kids love, and having your own car might make it easier to get back to the room for naps, etc.

scootch713
01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
POFQ is the smallest of the moderates, which makes the bus stop much closer... important with little ones.

animalkingdomguy
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
POR has a great pool on oldman island and the theming is great with lots of paths for little feet to take walks. Also, there is a fishing hole where you can rent poles and catch and release fish.