PDA

View Full Version : Death of a young boy... what a sick world we live in.

Here we go again...
12-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Okay, let me give you some background here.

I live in Lafayette and my oldest DD and her family live in Coteau, which is right near New Iberia. They live in the country and it is common that at a very young age the kids are tought to drive a vehicle to go out on the land and feed the animals.

So, on Monday I get a call from my neighbor. He is calling to tell me that a little boy got killed on his property. He and his brother were going to feed the anilmals (his brother is 12 and drives out to feed the cattle). When they got out of the truck to open the gate, the younger brother (Dylan) stayed out of the truck and the older boy accidentaly hit the gas, ran over him and killed him.
The family was devistated but we were happy to hear that no charges were being placed on the older brother.

These boys were just at my house for Halloween... as a matter of fact, they helped us toilet paper my neighbors house :blush: and I have never seen them laugh so much.

My neightbor went to the funeral home and mentioned that the mother was spending a lot of time consoling the father (there was trouble in the family) instead of consoling the other son... something did not fit....

Last night I hear on TV that there was an autopsy and charges were pending. Now I find this on line in the local newspaper:

Relatives, classmates, faculty members and child welfare officials were struggling today to deal with the death of a Coteau Elementary School student who investigators suspect died at the hands of his father.

Dylan Louviere, 7, died after being rushed to Iberia Medical Center Friday. His father, Michael Miller, 36, was charged with second-degree murder.

“This is a senseless death of an innocent child,” said Louviere’s grandmother, Myra Colson. “It’s horrible how much that baby must have suffered at the hands of a monster.”

Colson said Louviere had been living with Miller for a few months after being placed in his care by the Office of Child Services, a division of the state Department of Social Services.

Cleo Allen, DSS press secretary, said the department is “cooperating fully” with the investigation by law enforcement.

“We’re always heartsick anytime a child is hurt, because it is our mission to keep families strong and keep children safe,” she said.

Colson said Louviere was a first-grader at Coteau Elementary School.

Iberia Parish Superintendent of Schools Dale Henderson extended his sympathy to the boy’s family.

“It’s always very sad and unfortunate whenever this happens to one of our students,” he said.

Henderson said the school board would be sending extra counselors to the school to help students and faculty cope with the child’s death. He said the counselors would remain there as long as needed.

“Death is something that everyone struggles with, but it’s especially difficult for young people,” he said. “Because of that, we do send special counselors in to talk with students to make sure, if nothing else, they have someone to talk to.”

Iberia Parish Coroner Dr. James Falterman said an autopsy would be conducted today to determine how Louviere died.

While Iberia Parish Sheriff Sid Hebert said the boy suffered multiple bruises including one behind his ear, Falterman said any premature statements made about injuries to the child’s body are inaccurate and could hinder the judicial process.

“This is a complicated case,” he said. “We need to have an accurate description of what the body experienced.”

Miller was booked into the Iberia Parish Jail early Saturday.

His bond has been set at $500,000.

I feel so bad for the brother. He is only 12 years old and blamed for his brothers death. I am sure he is going to need serious counceling to deal with this, but also the abuse that was obviously going on in that house.

IloveDisney71
12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
This just breaks my heart. I have 2 DD's and I teach kindergarten, so I obviously LOVE children. I just cannot imagine a parent harming their own child. Thankfully, I have not had to deal with too many incidences like this at work.
My heart goes out to the brother. I cannot imagine what he has had to experience in his young life. I will say a prayer for him.:(

Mickey'sGirl
12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
What a horrible situation. I have no words except that my prayers are with the poor 12 yr old, and his young brother. :pixie:

ShelbyAD
12-14-2007, 09:07 AM
OMG - that is very sad. The 12 yr old will need counseling. Will he be taken out of that home?

bleukarma
12-14-2007, 09:26 AM
That is so sad, my heart goes out to the 12 year old, and the rest of the family.

sweetcandis
12-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I live in lafayette and I have been following this story. Dylan's father told police that the boy fell while the decorating christmas tree, however the bruises on his body were consistant with severly being beaten. He had old and new bruises present.

Where did you hear that his older brother ran him over?

I am just glad this man got caught. And Dylan was buried yesterday

buzznwoodysmom
12-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Angel,

I believe those are two different families. I did see on the news that two young boys died in the same weekend. One, a 7 year old, his father claimed he fell on him while decorating the christmas tree, but charges are being made that the father abused the child. The other, a 6 year old, was accidently run over by his brother. I saw it on the news and either the klfy or katc website. I do think these are two completely different stories involving two different little boys. Either way, it is still aweful.

PirateLover
12-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Angel,

I believe those are two different families. I did see on the news that two young boys died in the same weekend. One, a 7 year old, his father claimed he fell on him while decorating the christmas tree, but charges are being made that the father abused the child. The other, a 6 year old, was accidently run over by his brother. I saw it on the news and either the klfy or katc website. I do think these are two completely different stories involving two different little boys. Either way, it is still aweful.
Thanks for clearing this up, I was confused by the original story. At any rate it is always tragic when a child dies. Tons of :pixie: to both families, and I hope the abusive father is locked away asap.

DisneyOtaku
12-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Also reporting from Lafayette. I had heard the tree story for the family you are mentioning. Either way, it is sad that these things happened. My heart goes out to the 12 year old and for the rest of the families.

Here we go again...
12-14-2007, 02:13 PM
**Clarification**
It turns out that it IS 2 families!!!

Angel,

What are the chances that 2 little boys, about the same age die the same day and have the same name?? How weird is this?

Also reporting from Lafayette. I had heard the tree story for the family you are mentioning. Either way, it is sad that these things happened. My heart goes out to the 12 year old and for the rest of the families.

I was trying to figure out how in the world they could make up a story about being run over when the father had beat him... Now I see that it is 2 different families.

The Dylan we knew WAS the one that was run over. Not that it make his death any easier, but at least I know he was not abused.

I feel so sorry for both families. No one should have to deal with this at this time of the year.

mickey&missy
12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
How terrible. My condolences go out to both families.

cal5755
12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
How horrible. My heart goes out to both families.. especially the 12 year old boy.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I hope they get that 12 y.o. into therapy quickly. I can only imagine how he must be feeling even though it was an accident.
My condolences to both families.