PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting snow today?

TikiGoddess
12-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Here in Connecticut the weathermen are predicting 6-10 inches of snow! It's supposed to start around noon and fall heavily for the afternoon and into the evening. Most schools in the state are closed (including mine and my husbands). First snow day of the year!

The kids are all excited. They were jumping up and down in front of the tv yesterday (they're 4 and 3... it was really cute).

Anyone else getting snow today?
Kathy

scottgr
12-13-2007, 07:49 AM
I am from CT and heard about this storm and y little girl is excited, but I am out in Indy today and going to be trying to fly back into CT this evening...ugh......

goofy lady
12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
I live in MA near Providence we are expected to get 6-10 inches. My son goes to high school in Franklin MA I'm a little worried about his trip home this afternoon. He gets home around 3:30 pm it takes the van about 45 mins to get him back here Wish i was in wdw right now but need to wait till Jan oh well

mickey&missy
12-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Here, Eastern Long Island, we're supposed to get 2 - 4 inches. But, then they say possible 6. We'll see. DH always says we get gipped on snow (he loves snow) because we're surround by water. I'm a little worried about DD's bus ride home. I keep checking to see if their going to get out early. I would be much happier with that.

PS There's another storm coming this weekend!

medic9016
12-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Good luck to everyone having to deal with the ice and snow. We are forecasted to be about 83 today here in SC.

Carol
12-13-2007, 08:39 AM
7-10 in my neck of the New York woods and even more than that headed our way this weekend.

:snowball::snowball::snowball::snowball::snowball: :snowball:

Itchy
12-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Well we here in Missouri ( I am in the St louis area ) would love to see snow. After this past weekend and through part of the first of the week we have had enough ICE:mad: to cool all of the drinks in a nationwide party. We still have people with our power some from last Saturday.

And guess what depending on where you are in the state we can get anywhere from 0" of snow to 6"s.

As we say around here if you dont like the weather stick around it will change soon.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to all.:santa::deer::santa3::sleigh::menorah::newyear ::snowman::tree:

IloveDisney71
12-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Nope - we are supposed to have highs of 74 degrees today!
I'd love to see a little snow one day.

CanadianWDWFan
12-13-2007, 08:55 AM
We are supposed to get 5-10 cm of it through the day. That's 2-4 inches for my American friends.:D

I really want a white Christmas this year. We haven't had a really good one for years which is funny for the Great White North. Winters have been off for years. I know folks who have sold their snowmobiles since they can't ride them.

My DW's brother moved from Toronto to London England and he hasn't seen snow since he moved over 10 years ago. Well this Christmas he is coming home with his family and they hope to get a white Christmas. It looks like their wish will be granted!!

Safe driving/walking/moving about for everyone affected by this snow!

missbunny
12-13-2007, 09:10 AM
We live in North Jersey and they are predicting 6 to 8 inches. A few schools closed already or jhave early dismissals. My kids are over 18, so we don't worry about it. My oldest works in our local food store and he said last night it was mobbed.
My dh is a building superintendent so he has to work on removing the snow. He hates it, but sometimes it means overtime which is for our Disney fund. Our forecast for the weekend calls for more snow.
We had to change our plans for next year's vacation. We were going to go in December but now we don't think dh will be able to take off from work because of the possiblity of snow. So we might go in early or mid November.
Good luck everyone affected by the snow, stay safe and sound.

kaylamag
12-13-2007, 09:13 AM
We are getting a mixture of sleet and snow. Yuk!

jakeybake
12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Here in Boston we are expected to get 6-10 inches depending on who you listen to.

I'm a Patriots season ticket holder (14 years and counting!) and we are supposed to get another storm late Saturday night, early Sunday morning. Should be a winter wonderland at Gillette Stadium on Sunday too!!!

SBETigg
12-13-2007, 09:23 AM
My husband works in Avon, CT and we're not far from Hartford, just over the CT-MA border. We're due for the 6-10 inches, but now they're saying we may get 12. And more over the weekend! Ew.

poohluva
12-13-2007, 09:25 AM
We're on the southern NH/northern MA border and we're expecting 5-7 inches today, and more over the weekend!! UGH

:snowball::winter::freeze:

JPL
12-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Here in Northeast NJ we are just waiting for it to start falling:(

ldn324
12-13-2007, 09:35 AM
We are in Northeastern PA - the Poconos to be exact - and the reports are varying anywhere from 4 to 12 inches starting any time now. It did sleet a little at home around 7 am but I'm at work about 15 minutes away (and lower altitude) and it's not doing anything currently (just before 9:30).

We are in a winter storm warning until 11 pm tonight. Then again late Saturday, the "noreaster" is supposed to hit dumping us with about another foot. So it's possible we could be standing in 2 feet of snow by Sunday.

All area schools are closed and the plow trucks are out in full force. Kind of like buzzards hunting for some prey... Oh, and there isn't a gallon of milk, loaf of bread or package of toilet paper to be found within 50 miles :silly:

Anyone else find it kind of quiet, calm, yet exciting those few hours right before a big snow storm or is it just me? Maybe it's the thought of getting out of work a little early that does it for me ;)

cal5755
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Here in MD it is supposed to start as rain and then turn over. However we are driving toward it because my DD has an audtion in NY.

mjaclyn
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
6-10 inches expected here in NY. I think it may be more though because it wasn't supposed to start until this afternoon but it was snowing at 9AM! DH and I are both working from home today and my sister's HS is closed. I think all of the Schools in the area are closed. It's a mess out there!

vicster
12-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Good luck to everyone having to deal with the ice and snow. We are forecasted to be about 83 today here in SC.

That was really cruel!!! It's a balmy 30 degrees here in Chicago. It's like a heatwave. Hahaha.

conorsmom2000
12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I knew once they predicted it would be a mild winter, we would get lots of snow - and this is probably the 4th time it has snowed in this area this year (no accumulations prior to this, though!) Last year I don't think we saw snow until really late in the winter!

We're due to get 6 to 10 inches around here, I believe - it's hard to know since it's always changing. Our district NEVER does early dismissal so I'm hoping it's not too bad when school gets out (I hate driving in snow! :( )

I got all my errands done this morning (yes, I was one of those crazy people at the supermarket) including picking up my Christmas cards, so once the snow starts, I'll just curl up with my cards and get them finished!

Stay safe and warm! :snowball::snowball::snowball:

PS: It just started sleeting like crazy here!

NJBelle
12-13-2007, 10:42 AM
It's already snowing here in NJ. It's so beautiful! We're supposed to get 6-10 inches.

poohluva
12-13-2007, 11:23 AM
It hasn't started here yet, but they're already cancelling afternoon and evening activities in some places. Some schools are also having early dismissals. I hope they don't raise our totals again, we started at 2-4, now we're at 5-7 inches!!

ldn324
12-13-2007, 11:33 AM
It's beyond belief right now coming down so hard. We are at just about 2 inches in about an hour span. And this is the "small" storm - Saturday's the "big" one. We just got let out from work so that's the good thing about it!!

Everyone in this storm - please be careful and stay off the roads if you can. If you have to go out, be sure you have emergency supplies in your car - blanket, water, cell phone, etc.

vizsla
12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Sitting here looking out my office window and we have about 3" so far. We are expected to get 5 to 9"

TikiGoddess
12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
What a nice morning we had --- DD3 and I ran some errands this morning. Got out at 9am and went to Kmart to buy boots for my DD4. You should have seen how many people were doing the same thing! The store was most crowded in the kids boot aisle. :)

We went to a couple other stores and then it started snowing. It took about 20 min to get home through all the traffic, and I was praying all the way up the long hill to our road. Made it, though, and now I've got two movies to watch, some popcorn to make, and a roaring fire to sit next to. :)

I'm NOT happy about the snow this weekend -- my choir has the biggest concert of the year on Sat night!! Hopefully we won't have to cancel it...

Stay safe, everyone!
Kathy

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
The snow monsoon has started here. One minute it was aflake or two and the next time I looked out the window the road, driveway and grass were covered! OOOH boy.

RedSoxFan
12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
We're suppose to get 6-10 inches of snow. And then there is a Nor'Easter coming for Sunday.

SBETigg
12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
The snow monsoon has started here. One minute it was aflake or two and the next time I looked out the window the road, driveway and grass were covered! OOOH boy.

I know! Can you believe how fast it's accummulating? I've got the kids home from school. Now I can't wait for my husband to get home so we're all safe.

I'm with you on Saturday, Kathy. It's my grandfather's 90th birthday and I planned a big party at a local restaurant for Saturday night. I'll hate to have to cancel.

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 01:58 PM
This is a hard and fast storm here.:freeze: Welcome to winter! :winter::snowball: I swear it's coming down at about 3 inches an hour! I went out to start shoveling so I won't have a HUGE pile to move when It is over and when I turned around 15 minutes later, the areas I had just done were already covered! It was a losing battle. LOL
They say the coast (where I am) MAY get sleet so our accumulations will be 5 inches or so.
I called Mom to tell her top just go home. The commute tonight is going to be very bad.:snowman:
STAY SAFE MY FRIENDS!!!!:thumbsup:
Rachel

snowflakegirl
12-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Another CT resident here ... The school I work at was canceled early morning in anticipation ... I figured I'd go out and run some errands before the snow started (which I thought was supposed to be at noon). I left the house at 9:45ish. I hit Target, and it was snowing by the time I left at 10:15. Was at Walmart for less than an hours and had an inch of snow on my car when I came out. Then I hurried (by which I mean drove home at a snailspace and turned a 15 minute drive into a 35 minute drive because of the roads) home and curled up on the couch with my cat, a blanket and some hot chocolate so I could watch it snow out the window. So pretty. Then I got out my laptop to do some work and turned on the new Disney Holiday special on my dvr for some background noise. :mickey:

Dsnygirl
12-13-2007, 04:17 PM
:snowball::snowball: Hi Kathy!! Yup - we're getting lots of the white stuff up here in Central NY... we're forecasted for 6-8", but I think we've already gotten about 6 or 7", so I think it'll come in at more than that!! I woke up to it, as I worked last night... and I also was out of coffee and needed some Baileys to accompany my Christmas card writing tonight - so out I went into the snow right when I got up, so I could be back before the girls got home!! (No snowday for them... it didn't start snowing until this afternoon, I think) Dan said I was nuts to go out, but I couldn't go w/o my coffee... :D :snowball::snowball:

BronxTigger
12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
The sky is throwing little ice chunks at us here in the Bronx. And NOT ONE street...even the main ones...have seen a snow plow or even sand. I got a ride part way home from work and usually I'll get home in 30 minutes or so; today it took 75. I'll bet school will be on and on time tomorrow....NYC NEVER cancels school!

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
It is now sleeting or raining outside. They did say the storm may move northward and we might get the sleet. As usual the Channel 10 news people right on! So I think our snow is over at least on the RI coast.
I would estimate that there is about 5 inches out there.
Anybody from MA or further North (NH) ready with a report?:)

ElenitaB
12-13-2007, 05:29 PM
The sky is throwing little ice chunks at us here in the Bronx. And NOT ONE street...even the main ones...have seen a snow plow or even sand. I got a ride part way home from work and usually I'll get home in 30 minutes or so; today it took 75. I'll bet school will be on and on time tomorrow....NYC NEVER cancels school!
Like Bethany, we've had mini-hail most of the day with periods of snow. The ground is only slightly covered with snow but not the pavement.

Me thinks the the Board of Ed powers that be who decide whether the schools are closing or not, look outside their office windows or their apartment windows in Manhattan and see no snow on the streets so they keep the schools open. Everyone in the other boroughs know, however, that snow rarely sticks on Manhattan streets because of all the underground wiring, steam ducts, train tracks, plumbing, etc. that keep those streets warmer than your average street. My street is a hill going to a large, public elementary school, and they often don't plow or salt it. Kind of scary considering it's narrow, the hill is a bit steep, and there are cars parked along either side of the street... always seemed like an accident waiting to happen. :( During the first major snowstorm last winter, there was an accident involving a school bus and a city bus just two blocks away from here.

So are we going to get snow over the weekend? Time to stock up on Parmalat!

goofhook
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, I think we have exactly a foot on the ground right now and still snowing hard!

jillluvsdisney
12-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I was just talking to my a friend in Boston. He said it took him 2 hours to get from the Four Point Channel in Southie to his house at Columbia and Dorchester rd in Dorchester. If you know Boston, this is not a long distance at all. He said every intersection was grid locked. He also said coming back the Logan, it took 45 minutes JUST to go thru the Ted Williams tunnel.

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 06:53 PM
:( It started snowing again.

Marker
12-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Should be a winter wonderland at Gillette Stadium on Sunday too!!!

Nope, that would have to be FALL Wonderland, it's not winter yet.

We're down to "just" 9000 homes without power following Tuesday's ice storm. And another 30,000 homes without power up in St. Joe. It's amazing how much damage ice can cause.

We actually had sunshine today, though that posed it's own problems. Dangers from falling ice as it melts from trees, power lines, and towers can cause damage too.

And now they're calling for 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow night.

princessjojo
12-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Snow... What is that? I don't think we've had any real measurements of snow in 2 or 3 years. We can only hope for it.

DisneyDog
12-13-2007, 09:49 PM
All we got was a coating of ice. Then it started to rain really hard. That's when they decided to send schools home early. There was no snow or ice by this point. I don't get it.

RedheadWriter
12-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Well....as per the usual after a New England storm ends:snowball:, the messy cleanup begins in RI. I just love getting out of a toasty :alarm:bed:rolleyes: to finish shoveling....I was out there until 1030 last night to get a head start.
The RI DOT is in deep doo doo this morning. TRaffic in much of the state on the MAJOR roads was held up for HOURS. I have one friend whose normal commute is a half hour take 4 and a half hours to get home. He saw people run out of gas on the highway after being stuck indefinitely and then just abandon their cars.
Highways were not touched and people were just so desperate to get home that they turned 95 (both south and north) through Providence from a 4 lane highway to a 6 lane highway! People were calling into the news stations reporting loads of fender benders and accidents and saying people were getting crazy.
Children were released from school at 1230 and were still on buses at 7 at night because no traffic could get through.
Any other horror stories? My mom and I heard CT and Boston were prety bad, too.
Now we just need to get ready for the NEXT one this weekend!:flame::help::hide2:

TikiGoddess
12-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Here in central CT we ended up with 12 in of snow! Vernon, CT got 13" of snow and set a record for December.

My hubby was outside clearing the driveway for 2 1/2 hrs last night, poor guy. The kids are all excited and we'll be going down to Grandma's house this weekend for some major sledding.

Kathy

RedSoxFan
12-14-2007, 07:43 AM
My sister lives in Chepachet, RI and works at the Woman/Infants Hospital. What normally is a 1/2 drive to/from work turned into a 3.5 hr drive home in the storm. It took her DH 3 hrs to get to the hospital just to pick her up.

CanadianWDWFan
12-14-2007, 08:26 AM
I hope everyone survived their snow day.

Well the 4 inches we were promised never arrived. But tomorrow is another story, we are being told that we could get up to 10 inches. But I'll believe it when I see it.

snowflakegirl
12-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I had a 90 minute delay where I work, but I only delayed when I left my apartment by about forty minutes... Which was good. Took me about half an hour to clear off and dig out my car from under the 10+ inches sitting on top of and all around it. Then driving in, some of the roads were just slushy, some were pretty much dry, but some looked like they hadn't been touched since right after it stopped snowing last night. One small stretch of my drive which usually takes me about ten minutes to get through ... Actually took me forty minutes today!

And now we're getting more this weekend.

Welcome to winter!

RedheadWriter
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
What a huge mess is happening right outside of my door! I hoope that everyone stays safe today as this storm passes on through. WEe got quite a bit of snow that has since turned to sleet/rain. They are predicting some flooding around here as there will no where for the water to go with catch basins covered.

TikiGoddess
12-16-2007, 10:12 AM
We received some extra snow last night but now it looks like it's sleeting -- and the wind is blowing somethin' fierce. It's supposed to turn over to rain later but unfortunately my concert this afternoon has been moved to next week.

Ah, well, it's a great day to get the house cleaned and ready for the holidays. My cards are done, the presents are almost wrapped... guess it's a movie afternoon curled up on the couch!

Kathy

SBETigg
12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry about the concert reschedule, Kathy. We got about six more inches late last night and it's a mix of ice and snow, now sleet. Yuck. But the good news is that it held off long enough that we could go ahead with my grandfather's 90th birthday celebration, and it was fabulous. It was at a Middle Eastern place and he got up to dance with the belly dancers. :D

RedheadWriter
12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Sherri-How cool about your grandfather!
Kathy-Sorry about the concert.
My afternoon will be spent cleaning and watchign the Pats game. God bless the fans who are there in this weather!
It's all rain here, by the way.
Stay safe and warm, friends!
Rachel

SgtTigger
12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Nope no snow.............

but it is 30 degrees cooler today than yesterday.....

I also have a ton of leaves on my lawn..... but they are brown......

iDisney
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
My mother and myself had to call off of work today because our driveway is covered in 14 inches of snow! (I took a yardstick out to check.) It is clear up to the rear bumper of my Aztek. You can hardly tell that there is a car underneath! The good news is that according to the weather channel:
A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS EVENING.

NORTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL CREATE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW THAT WILL SEVERELY IMPACT TRAVEL TODAY...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN RURAL AREAS. NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITH VISIBILITIES REDUCED AT TIMES. CONDITIONS WILL IMPROVE BY EVENING AS WINDS DIMINISH.

Yay! I can hardly wait!:rolleyes:

Tink&Goofy
12-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Nope, no snow. Just rain, rain, rain! Oh, and wind too. Believe me, we don't need any more rain - people are still trying to recover from the flooding less than 2 weeks ago. :shake:

Ed
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
No snow here, either. In fact, I just finished a little outdoor chore. :mow:

70 degrees and sunny.

Gotta love Florida! :cool:

SBETigg
12-16-2007, 03:39 PM
No snow here, either. In fact, I just finished a little outdoor chore. :mow:

70 degrees and sunny.

Gotta love Florida! :cool:

Ed, you lucky guy. That sounds fantastic right about now. Go ahead, rub it in.

Rachel, I'm really surprised to see the stadium so packed. You can't keep the Pats fans down. Yay, go Patriots. :) But it looks better here than it does over at the Bills game.

Ed
12-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Go ahead, rub it in.

That's okay. You'll probably get the last laugh next hurricane season. :doh:

:(

SBETigg
12-16-2007, 07:57 PM
That's okay. You'll probably get the last laugh next hurricane season. :doh:

:(

Oh, no, I couldn't even laugh about that. Scary stuff. But I am glad you're having nice weather. And I guess we're getting a good old-fashioned white Christmas (if I'm trying to find a bright side). It's raining over the snow now, which is never pretty, but we're safe and we have electricity so :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Sherri-Talk about die-hard fans at that game! My friend went to the new Bass Pro Shop that opened near Gillette stadium on Saturday. He said there wasn't a hotel room vacant anywhere near Foxboro because people were staying over so as not to miss the game! God bless them they all looked cold, but our boys did well and won! I was sipping my brandy watching the game and trying to warm up from shoveling and I kept looking at the crowd wondering how cold their bums were.
It rained lik ethe dickens here and I tell you, this snow/slush was what I call "heart attack" snow, so heavy to lift !