PDA

View Full Version : Advice about a sick dog

NJBelle
12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
I am a dog person. I have two, an collie and a puggle. We've had Westly (the collie) since he was a few weeks old and now he's nine. He's stupid, unaffectionate, stinky, big, beautiful, looks just like Lassie, and although we don't love him as much as our puggle, we do love him. :D
But now we have a problem. Westly has arthritis in his back hips and his left shoulder. It's getting really hard for him to do anything. He can't climb stairs and once he's down, he can't get up. When he looks at me I feel like melting. He always had this stupid inoccent look on his face tha made you laugh. Now he looks sad.
Here's my problem. I've been toying with the idea of having him put to sleep. I seriously can't bare the thought of doing that to the poor guy! But he'll be out of his pain. I'm between a rock and a hard place. What should I do about him? Has anyone else had to go through similar things?

tinksmom02
12-12-2007, 08:50 PM
My parents had to put their dog down a few years ago for the same reason. He was a big mutt named Scruffy and he was very loved. It was a heartbreaking decision, but ultimately he was just suffering too much. My dad would have to pick him up to take him outside; he couldn't climb up or down the three steps to the dog pen.

It's a terrible decision to make... :pixie:

kakn7294
12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Have you talked to your vet about some of the new advances in arthritis medications? Or have you considered accupuncture for dogs? My vet swears by accupuncture - he's certified in it. If you have tried treatments for him and nothing seems to be working, then perhaps it is time to have him put down. It's never an easy decision. Best of luck to you and Westly.

goofy lady
12-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I had to put my dog Cody down in Oct 12, 2007 very sad day i cried for 2 days. My best freind died. We had him for 15 1/2 yrs He was 16 1/2 He suffered from athritis the last 2 yrs the winter got tough for him I had to help him up to let him go outside. I had to carry him up the stairs to bring him the house 50 lb dog.
That one day he got me up at 1:00 am wimpering. He let me know it was his time to go. I'm ok now knowing i buried him in the back yard where i can see his grave every day this gives me great comfort knowing he is in his final resting place. I hope this helps not a day goes by i think of him Your dog will let you know when it is time trust me

RenDuran
12-12-2007, 09:04 PM
This is never an easy decision. I feel that once your pet's good times outnumber the bad times, it's probably best to say goodbye. This is something I've had to face several times over the years and it's heartwrenching.

If you're starting to feel like it's time to let go of Westly maybe it really is time. But be sure you've covered all your bases first. Have you tried arthritis medicines? Or even glucosamine? One of our dogs had an ACL repair, plus arthritis, and glucosamine was something that kept her pretty happy for a few years.

PoohGirls2
12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
First off, :pixie: for you. I know your heart must be breaking to think your dog is in pain.

Like the others said, talk with your vet to see if he thinks some meds might help this condition. We have a 12 1/2 year old German
Shepard that can't hardly walk if he misses his
Remadyl for more than a couple of days. As long as he takes his medicine he can run and do most anything he wants. We just don't let him go up and down the steps to our deck anymore. Otherwise, he is fine.

Your decision may not be easy, but take comfort in the thought that you are doing what you feel will help him and cause him the least amount of pain.

Lizzy
12-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Try giving him some baby asprin once or twice a day for a few days. One of my shelties had arthritis real bad years ago and that seemed to relieve her pain for a while.

While 9 is not a very youngg dog, Westly is not old either. Daily exercise and aspirin can help. If he is just laying around all day most days his joints are going to get worse. Talk to your vet about pain relief options.

Crystal Palace
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I am a dog person. I have two, an collie and a puggle. We've had Westly (the collie) since he was a few weeks old and now he's nine. He's stupid, unaffectionate, stinky, big, beautiful, looks just like Lassie, and although we don't love him as much as our puggle, we do love him. :D
But now we have a problem. Westly has arthritis in his back hips and his left shoulder. It's getting really hard for him to do anything. He can't climb stairs and once he's down, he can't get up. When he looks at me I feel like melting. He always had this stupid inoccent look on his face tha made you laugh. Now he looks sad.
Here's my problem. I've been toying with the idea of having him put to sleep. I seriously can't bare the thought of doing that to the poor guy! But he'll be out of his pain. I'm between a rock and a hard place. What should I do about him? Has anyone else had to go through similar things?

My mom and I have two Golden Retrievers, and one of them has the same problem, but it sounds like he can move around a lit better than your sweetie can. My mom gives him these vitamins that are good for his joints. They are chewable and she got them at Target. I'll find out what the brand is. Maybe try something like that. It has really helped our little guy. I hope you don't have to put him to sleep!! :( I'll be praying for him.

ldn324
12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
You should definitely consult with your vet. I work at a vet clinic PT and we have had many dogs come in to the point of agony, then treated for a week or so on proper medication and they come back in like a young pup again.

Pharmaceuticals for animals have come a long way and there are some great options out there now. Some can be pricey but I know we often have meds donated to us that we can't sell but we can give to patients who have difficulty paying for them.

Also, remember - never, ever give a dog acetaminophen (Tylenol). It's highly toxic. Buffered baby asprin is OK but please consult with your vet first a) for proper dosing based on your dog's weight and b) to be sure there is no interrection with any other meds and/or special diet your dog may be on.

I totally understand your difficulty as I have 6 pets now and have gone through 2 others passing - one naturally because I couldn't bear to put him to sleep and the other I put to sleep because I saw the pain my first one endured because I wasn't brave enough to let him go. It's never an easy decision but you should have every bit of information available to you before making that decision. Your vet - and sometimes especially the vet techs - can give you their professional advice and let you know what can and cannot be done and help you decide when the time is right.

Light and well wishes to you and your wonderful dog. I hope things work out for you both.

Mickey'sGirl
12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Try giving him some baby asprin once or twice a day for a few days. One of my shelties had arthritis real bad years ago and that seemed to relieve her pain for a while.

While 9 is not a very youngg dog, Westly is not old either. Daily exercise and aspirin can help. If he is just laying around all day most days his joints are going to get worse. Talk to your vet about pain relief options.
I agree with Lizzy -- but I would use coated aspirin -- and adult doses (dogs can handle 6x what their human counterparts can). We had a lovely old Keeshond growing up and he had 500 mg morning and night, and that provided him tremendous relief. Eventually, however, other issues set in and we did have to make the painful decision -- but I know that the 2 aspirin relieved his pain, and allowed him to enjoy life again.

Carol
12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I work at an Animal Hospital and I agree about contacting your Vet. It's not uncommon for large breed dogs to have joint ailments. They have medications and prescription food that can help immensely.

Long term meds such as Rimydl, can be harmful to the liver - so it is best to have the dog under a doctor's care and blood-work done regularly. Many times doses can be adjusted once the pet is feeling better.

You might also consider Cosequin. It's an all natural supplement for joint maintenance.

Tygger7
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
You should definitely consult with your vet. I work at a vet clinic PT and we have had many dogs come in to the point of agony, then treated for a week or so on proper medication and they come back in like a young pup again.

Pharmaceuticals for animals have come a long way and there are some great options out there now. Some can be pricey but I know we often have meds donated to us that we can't sell but we can give to patients who have difficulty paying for them.

Also, remember - never, ever give a dog acetaminophen (Tylenol). It's highly toxic. Buffered baby asprin is OK but please consult with your vet first a) for proper dosing based on your dog's weight and b) to be sure there is no interrection with any other meds and/or special diet your dog may be on.

I totally understand your difficulty as I have 6 pets now and have gone through 2 others passing - one naturally because I couldn't bear to put him to sleep and the other I put to sleep because I saw the pain my first one endured because I wasn't brave enough to let him go. It's never an easy decision but you should have every bit of information available to you before making that decision. Your vet - and sometimes especially the vet techs - can give you their professional advice and let you know what can and cannot be done and help you decide when the time is right.

Light and well wishes to you and your wonderful dog. I hope things work out for you both.

I totally agree, and you should definitely consult your vet. I have dealt with older dogs and regular pain meds can make all the difference in the world. One of my peke's could barely walk due to arthritis, and after a couple of days of meds from the vet, he was running around like a puppy.

Making the decision to put a pet down is never easy, even when you know it's 100% the right thing to do. My vet has been wonderful in helping when the time was right, and gave me options when they were available. Also, if you aren't extremely comfortable with your current vet, don't be afraid to check out another vet to get a 2nd opinion. Get referrals from other pet owners, breeders, and/or rescue organizations. They are a great source in finding a vet that you're comfortable with.

Hope this helps and gives you some light at the end of the tunnel.

NJBelle
12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Have you talked to your vet about some of the new advances in arthritis medications?

We did talk to our vet about arthritis medication. We even bought some for a while and it really helped him. The problem is that it's so expencive! And we're already paying for my arthritis medicine. *sigh*

I think we'll try the baby asprin. We take Westly out on the golf course that's behind our house every morning, so he is getting exercies. And our active puggle keeps him alive.

Thanks for your prayers and pixie dust, guys. It means allot to me and my big boy.

DisneyDog
12-13-2007, 09:45 PM
We are currently going through the exact same thing with our 12 year old corgi. We lost our older corgi one year ago (12/21). I had to put him down because of dementia. He had been on rimadyl for years and had done well with it. Now, Tango is another story. He doesn't have arthritis. He seems to have some sort of a degenerative disorder, or he had a stroke. We don't know because we aren't willing to spend $4,000 on the testing. He has lost the use of his hind legs, and he basically does nothing but sit in one place all day long. When he needs to go out we have to carry him, put him down in the grass, and then pick him up and bring him back in again. I love him, but he weighs 34 pounds and I have a bad back. It's getting very difficult to care for him.

The front half of him is perfectly healthy, but the back half is useless. We are confused because he is in good health but has no quality of life.

It's never an easy decision. You need to think about your dog and evaluate if your dog is still enjoying the kinds of things he's always enjoyed, or not. And then go from there. Feel free to contact me if you need to talk.

Jill

Here we go again...
12-13-2007, 10:41 PM
We went through something similar with our Dalmation, Desire, a few years ago.

When we got her the vet told us that Dalmations usually only live 8 or 9 years. Desire lived 14 years. She was in pain at the end and could barely move. I hated seeing her like that, but could not bring myself to put her down.
She got progressively worse and the medicine the vet was giving her was not agreeing with her. She began losing control of her bodily functions... that was when we realized that keeping her around was just us being selfish.

It was hard to let go but I know it was what we had to do.
You will know when it is time....

Marilyn Michetti
12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Our Bentley suffered for two years with Valley Fever. We did water therapy, meds, and Rimydyl, and he was better. His appetite was good, and he loved his rides in the car, and all the attention we lavished on him.

Two months ago, his breathing got bad, so we did heart meds, and again he got better. Six weeks ago, he couldn't lie down because his heart was compressing his lungs, so the next morning, we took him, and did the "right" thing.

My point is, your dog will let you know when it's time. If he's happy, likes to eat, etc., then I think he has the right to treatment. It's expensive, and if you've got a family to raise, it's a real strain. No judgment here.

I agree with above post's also re: holistic treatment. I get acupuncture for my arthritis, and it really helps. DD's horse gets the same treatment from the same person. It's a great way to help with the pain.

Just let him know you love him, and when the time comes, you'll be O.K. with it.:paw:

MsMin
12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
I understand what you are going through. My niece has been through a lot and her poodle Pepper was her joy and had been through many tough times with her. He was 9 and started w/ arthritis and she was away at school and couldn't afford the meds. She kept calling and asking what we thought and it's so hard to say what is best for someone else. Pepper died before we had to make the decision. She showed up one Sunday evening with her dog in her arms just crying asking if she could bury him in my yard.
Point is it's never easy and it is tough if the meds are way out of budget which is not uncommon. As Marilyn said, Give him all the love you can and keep him out of pain the best way you can... :paw: :pixie: from the Yorkie gang....

mrsgaribaldi
12-15-2007, 06:08 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:Sorry to hear about his health problems.

Fallendroplet
12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
It's never easy to put an animal down...especially when they're special to you. I would suggest that you speak with your vet. There are many different medications and supplements that a dog can take for an arthritic condition.

MsMin
12-17-2007, 11:32 PM
I asked my dd about your pup and she recommended asking your vet about previcox. She says its a lot cheaper than rimadyl. She said they also make treats with glucosamine and that could help. I know that the vet hosp gets dogs that ppl give up b/c they can't afford their care and ppl adopt them but I know that's a difficult choice. :pixie: :paw: hope things are going well...