PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on when to make reservations.

snowflakegirl
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I've been planning a trip to the World this summer with DH and trying to get my parents and younger sister to join us. The last time my parents were there was ten and a half years ago, and in the past 10 1/2 years my sister has only been for one whirlwind three and a half day trip three years ago. Plus we haven't had a real "family vacation" since that trip when I was 16.

I was worried about whether they'd actually say yes because they're renovating the house, my father has to go to Japan for a month this summer for an artist in residence kind of thing, and my sister is still in college so they're paying for that, too, but... Good news! I talked to Mom yesterday and she said yes! I figured at best they'd stay off property, but she's even willing to stay at one of the value resorts with us.

So she posed this question to me, and now I'm posing it to all of you... She'd like to know if we're planning a trip August 13th through 19th, hopefully at Pop, when is the latest you would let it go before making the reservations?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Strmchsr
12-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, that all depends upon whether or not you would like to use the dining plan. If yes, I would book 6 months+ in advance so that you can take advantage of the 180 day window in making your advance dining reservations (ADRs). Many of the WDW restaurants fill up at the 180 day mark. Now, you don't have to have your reservation already to make ADRs, but if you're staying on Disney property at the 180 day mark for the first day of your vacation you can make all of your ADRs for the entire length of stay rather than having to call back every day. it's a perk of staying on property.

If you're not doing the dining plan, it doesn't really matter when you book. You should be abel to find a room. That said, Pop is probably the most popular value resort right now, so they might fill up while the others have rooms.

So, it all boils down to how picky are you about getting certain things. If you want specific things for your trip book ASAP. You put down a $200 deposit per room then the final amount is due no later than 45 days before arrival.

SBETigg
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I agree with Chris. If you plan to eat at TS restaurants at all and you know when you want to go, I would book it in time to be able to make the ADRs 180 days out with your room or package reservation already made. That can be a busy time for dining (any time can be a busy time for dining now) so it helps to book them ASAP.

KAT1811
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I would make your reservations ASAP whether or not you are planning on using the dining plan. WDW can book up rather quickly, especially the value resorts, then I would make tentative ADRs when the 180th day arrives, for many of the WDW eateries you can cancel without penalty (if there is a penalty you will be told at the time of booking) then you can all decied what you do/don't want to do. I think the most diappointing thing for inexperienced planners is that they have a host of restaurants they would like to try but miss out on the ADRs because no one told them how quickly they book up. A package reservation does include a $200 deposit and a room only reservation includes a one night deposit. Since you are so unsure about the booking process I would highly advise using Magical Journeys, they will not only take care of the booking process for you but look for the most up to date specials and discounts and automatically apply them to your reservation. You are planning to vacation in August so maybe you'll intersect the "free dining promotion" and if you do MJ will apply that to your reservation as soon as it comes out. Good luck planning!!!

Tygger7
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I would make your reservations ASAP whether or not you are planning on using the dining plan. WDW can book up rather quickly, especially the value resorts, then I would make tentative ADRs when the 180th day arrives, for many of the WDW eateries you can cancel without penalty (if there is a penalty you will be told at the time of booking) then you can all decied what you do/don't want to do. I think the most diappointing thing for inexperienced planners is that they have a host of restaurants they would like to try but miss out on the ADRs because no one told them how quickly they book up. A package reservation does include a $200 deposit and a room only reservation includes a one night deposit. Since you are so unsure about the booking process I would highly advise using Magical Journeys, they will not only take care of the booking process for you but look for the most up to date specials and discounts and automatically apply them to your reservation. You are planning to vacation in August so maybe you'll intersect the "free dining promotion" and if you do MJ will apply that to your reservation as soon as it comes out. Good luck planning!!!

I agree, 100%, with everything stated in this post. Magical Journey's would be the way to go, no doubt about it. :mickey:

snowflakegirl
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm unsure about the booking process... I've planned a few trips over the past couple of years, both for myself and for friends who have gone, and I've actually already made our (mine and DH)package reservations for this summer.

What I was trying to ask was, how far out do you think the value resorts (Pop) in particular will fill up for August... I think the problem is that my mother, although I have no doubt that now that she's said yes will be coming, hates to commit to anything too far in advance.

It seems like 6 months out is probably the furtherst I should let her put it off. I have to admit I didn't think of it in terms of ADRs. I'm going to be making the ADRs for the meals that we're planning on eating together, so it didn't cross my mind (even 9 months out I'm in hyper planning mode and the 180th day is marked in my planner next to a list of places that I want to try to get this year... once the park hours for August are released, the days and hoped for times will be added to the lsit :blush:), but there will be a few nights when we're eating separately, so they'll need to be thinking about making those ADRs themselves.

Thanks! :mickey: