PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Petrino Resigns As Falcons Coach

Hammer
12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Bobby Petrino Resigns As Falcons Coach

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP
Tue Dec 11, 11:00 PM EST
Bobby Petrino thought he was getting one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL. Without Michael Vick, it wasn't worth keeping for even one full season. Just 13 games into a miserable debut as Atlanta Falcons coach, Petrino stunningly announced his resignation Tuesday, to return to the college ranks at Arkansas, according to a person familiar with Petrino's decision.

The person was speaking on condition of anonymity because the school had not made an official announcement.

Petrino left Louisville for Atlanta in January, agreeing to a five-year, $24 million contract handed out by a team that felt he could help Vick reach his full potential.

"I believe this is truly the best football job in the NFL," Petrino said at his introductory news conference. "It was an easy decision for me."

Of course, he had no idea what Vick was doing in his spare time.

A few months later, the star quarterback came under investigation for a grisly dogfighting operation that led him to plead guilty to federal charges. He was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison without ever taking a snap for Petrino, who left with a 3-10 record.

Arkansas has been looking for a coach for two weeks to replace Houston Nutt, who resigned after a tumultuous season and took the head coaching job at Mississippi.

Arkansas had no immediate comment, but called a late-night news conference for a "major announcement."

The Falcons declined further response beyond a terse, two-paragraph statement released Tuesday night. Owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay were scheduled to hold a news conference Wednesday.

There was no immediate word on who would take over for the team's final three games, though defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Hue Jackson would be the most logical candidates.

Petrino did not answer calls placed to his cell phone and his Atlanta-area home. His brother, Falcons receivers coach Paul Petrino, declined comment when reached on his cell phone.

"I don't think I can say anything about it right now," he said. "I'm sorry."

Just two weeks ago, Bobby Petrino said he had no interest in any of the high-profile college jobs that had opened up, and he apparently told Blank in recent days that he would be staying with the Falcons.

"I haven't given it one bit of thought," Petrino said Nov. 26. "I certainly don't want to get into any speculation and rumors and having to deal with that. I'm focused on our football team here."

Petrino was the latest college coach to flop in the NFL.

Steve Spurrier quit after two mediocre years with the Washington Redskins. Nick Saban made it through just two seasons with the Miami Dolphins before returning to the college ranks at Alabama. Of course, they look like long-term hires next to Petrino, who abandoned the Falcons without even making it through one year.

After losing Vick, Petrino tried three quarterbacks without success. The Falcons have lost four straight, all by double-digit margins, and are assured of the 32nd season of .500 or worse in their 42-year history.

"Anytime you're without one of the best athletes in the National Football League, it's going to be tough," cornerback DeAngelo Hall said earlier in the season. "Take Peyton Manning from the Colts, and they'll go through a little slump."

Petrino's stint was one of the shortest for a non-interim coach since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Pete McCulley was fired after starting out 1-8 with San Francisco in 1978, and Sid Gillman lasted only 10 games in his second stint as San Diego coach, going 4-6 in 1971 before quitting.

In an interesting twist, Lou Holtz coached the New York Jets for 13 games in 1976. He went 3-10, then left the team with one game remaining to become the coach at Arkansas.

In four years at Louisville, Petrino produced a 41-9 record and some of the highest-scoring teams in the country.

An Atlanta team without Vick was a different story, ranking 24th in total yards and 30th in scoring.

Plagued by injuries on the offensive line, Petrino was forced to start two players who weren't even drafted and just hours after Vick's sentencing in Richmond, Va., Atlanta lost to the New Orleans Saints 34-14. They have lost four in a row by an average of 18.5 points.

"Not a good day," Petrino said afterward.

The resignation had to be a major surprise to Blank, who fired Jim Mora just two seasons after he led the Falcons to the NFC championship game. Before Monday's game, Blank said he felt better than ever about his decision to hire Petrino.

"I feel real fortunate we have a terrific guy leading our team, our CEO, in Bobby Petrino," Blank said. "I think he's proven to me he's a better head coach than we thought he was going to be, dealing with a set of cards we didn't see unfold this year, which probably never in the history of the NFL has anything like this happened. Bobby has done a wonderful job dealing with all of these issues. He's kept the players focused."

There were signs of dissension, however, in particular because of the way Petrino dealt with his players.

To some he seemed aloof, feeling no reason to share personnel decisions with affected players. He could walk through the locker room without speaking to anyone and was openly criticized by two of the team's stars, Pro Bowlers Alge Crumpler and Hall.

A decision to cut nose tackle Grady Jackson, one of the team's most productive defensive linemen, during the bye week drew the ire of veteran players. Quarterback Joey Harrington was noticeably perturbed when, after leading the Falcons to two straight wins, he heard from the media Petrino still considered injury prone Byron Leftwich the starter.

Against the Saints, quarterback Chris Redman made his first start since 2002. While Redman threw for 298 yards and two touchdowns, the Falcons lost again.

After the game, Petrino sounded as though he was still committed to getting the Falcons turned around.

"We'll come back on Wednesday to take a look at it, and then we'll get back to work," he said. "We have to find something to rally around."

Clearly, Petrino already had decided to abandon the sinking ship.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

MsMin
12-12-2007, 10:36 AM
darn and I was looking forward to beating the falcons again next year:thedolls: I'm not happy about him coming to the SEC we have enough competition here. Why didn't he go to Michigan????
I would think his career doesn't focus around one player. There is always next year but it's more than that. :football:

JanetMegan
12-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Not sure if anyone else other than me heard the full text press conference by Arthur Blank yesterday afternoon but he is clearly PEEVED at Patrino. That was a GREAT speech I thought...I won't miss him, he was doing a cruddy job. This team needs someone who is committed to getting it back out of the gutter.

Melanie
12-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah, this is really ugly apparently. Reminds me of when Francione left Alabama for Texas A&M without so much of a goodbye to his players. Low, low, low.

medic9016
12-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Janet you are right about Arthur Blanks speech. He was just a tad bit upset. I think he is one of the better owners in the NFL. He has done well with all the Vick stuff. DeAngelo Hall also did a very good interview on ESPN about how the players feel.

Oct 25, 2008 Ole' Miss and Arkansas in Fayetteville.

ibrowse17
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Complete lack of class, but why should anyone be surprised by that? He has been the head coach at 3 places within 1 year. He will bolt from Ark at the first chance to get a better deal. As a Bama grad, I agree this like Fran. As bad as that was, at least he finished the season.

Thumper03
12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
The strange thing about the parting of ways between Petrino and the Falcons is noone is clean in this. We watched the MNF game between the Falcons and Saints. At the beginning we had no rooting interest in either team. We actually started off cheering for the Falcons simply because they were the underdog. As the game progressed, the behavior of the Atlanta players was so disgusting we wondered how many players would be disciplined later by the team or league. Clearly, Coach Petrino had lost control of his team. His players "threw him under the bus" on national television. How ironic that a player of DeAngelo Hall's character would become the mouthpiece for the Atlanta players.:humph::shake: