PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Disney's policy on weapons?

SignguyTom
12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Obviously, guns (stupid woman) and switchblades are out, but what is the official policy? I carry a tiny pocketknife with me wherever I go (except the airport), and I have for years. It has a 1.25" blade , a tiny nail file/screwdriver and little bitty scissors (excellent for clipping the tags off that brand new T-Shirt, BTW :thumbsup:). I carry it in my pocket and Disney security only checks my camera bag. I'd never even given it a thought.

Am I breaking the rules with this? :confused:

In no way would I consider it a weapon, but a tool.

mrsgaribaldi
12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
I would think that they would say "no knives" across the board. They probably wouldn't want to get into debates with guests about how big their particular item is, just say no to all of them. I would leave it in the hotel just to be on the safe side. If you need scissors, they have them in stores. You could ask to borrow them if need be, like to cut a tag off something. That's what we've done in the past. :mickey:

kakn7294
12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
The Disney Cruise Line in their FAQS section has a "Zero Weapons" policy which includes knives of all types so I would assume that the parks do as well. You probably are innocently breaking the rules everytime you enter with that little knife. You may not consider it a weapon, but it can be used as one and would definately be classified as one. You should probably leave it either at home or in your resort next time. As Stephanie said, they will cut the tags off merchandise for you at the registers.

BTW, my Dad had his small pocketknife (slightly larger than yours) confiscated at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg several years ago. He was either to take it back to the car (which he did) or claim it from security at the end of the day.

Sammyjo
12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I carry my little pocket knife, pink with flowers on it, with me when I go to the parks. I wouldn't leave without my keys, pen, eyeglasses or my knife all of which are tools.

Women are taught to use their keys as defensive items and we sure wouldn't want to leave them in our cars when we go into the parks.

Scar
12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
My father actually yells at me if I don't have a knife on me.

"WHERE'S YOUR KNIFE! YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CARRY A KNIFE!" :shrug:

BluewaterBrad
12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I actually carry a pocketknife always. I do know that no knives are allowed. During this years Food and Wine I forgot to leave it in the room. It has a black clip that was visible. After about 15 seconds of entering past the "guests with no bags" sign a undercover security person totally surprised me. He very politely said " Excuse me sir would you please show the knife in your pocket to that security person." I immediately realized what I forgot, turned red, and showed it to security. They were great! I signed for it and only had to ask any security person at the exit for it back. (8 min wait!) I got it back during our afternoon break (about 2:00). Security was very cool, yet very professional!!:mickey:

LONESTAR
12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I always carry a pocket knife and have since I was a little boy but thats growing up in the country. Anyway just got back from WDW and when entering MK they saw the black clip from the knife in my pocket.
They had me put it in a locker up front, and it is a legal blade length. Then I just picked it up at the end of the day. I just took it with me out of habit.:blush:

Von-Drake
12-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Like many have stated previously, I most always carry a little pocketknife with me. However, when at Disney I do leave mine in the luggage. I Have no problem abiding by their rules when it comes to this policy.

EeyoresBestFriend
12-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I can't believe how many people do that!
Being a Canadian, I guess it never occurs to me to carry anything like that in a family oriented park. What you don't learn!

SignguyTom
12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I can't believe how many people do that!
Being a Canadian, I guess it never occurs to me to carry anything like that in a family oriented park. What you don't learn!

Not sure what being a Canadian has to do with carrying a pocketknife, but I guarantee that my teeny little knife is a lot less of a weapon than the nail files that many women carry in their purses.

WriteDisney
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with you Eeyoresbestfriend. I would never bring a knife to an amusepark. Really anywhere now a days with security the way it is. And I'm an American. You never know how security could react to something like that. Better to be safe then sorry I always say. :mickey:

WriteDisney
12-12-2007, 04:58 PM
And as a woman, I also don't think a nail file is the same as a knife. Sorry, but thats just me.:mickey:

kakn7294
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
And as a woman, I also don't think a nail file is the same as a knife. Sorry, but thats just me.:mickey:Actually, if I really wanted it to be, the pen that I carry in my purse could be a weapon and we've already had someone mention that keys can be a weapon. For that matter, I could use my shoelaces as a weapon if I choose to (although Crocs and flip-flops don't have shoelaces so I guess I don't have a weapon there after all ;)). Some of those long metal nail files - the kind that look like letter openers - look rather dangerous and have blades longer than many pocket / penknives.

WriteDisney
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
The point I was trying to make was that if I did carry a knife, I wouldn't imagine bringing it to a theme park. It would stop me in my tracks immediately. But, like I said, that's just me.

Tigger&Stitch
12-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Hmm...something I've never thought of! We stay on property, so we try to carry as little as possible into the parks.

So..no keys, or files or knives (even a pocket knife!) Just a small bag with our camera, water and raincoats!

SignguyTom
12-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I never intended this to turn into a discussion on what is or isn't a weapon. The question was simply whether my little knife is against the rules. If it is, I have no problem whatsoever on leaving it at the resort. If the policy state "NO KNIVES" then I respect that completely. If it states "NO WEAPONS", then I contend that my pocketknife is less of a weapon than a nail file. The Disney policy is all I wanted to know and somehow have wound up getting skewered for it by some. The thing is, nobody has actually answered my question in the process. With all due respect, that means what I'm hearing are opinions, and therefore I will return mine in the spirit of open debate.

I'm still confused about this whole Canadian/American thing, though. :confused:

caryrae
12-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I suppose Disney would like no knives of anykind but is impossible to keep them out of the parks cause they would have to check everyones pockets as well.

I admit I always carry a small pocket knife everywhere I go, it is maybe only an inch long with a file, scissors, tweezers, and toothpick.

SignguyTom
12-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I suppose Disney would like no knives of anykind but is impossible to keep them out of the parks cause they would have to check everyones pockets as well.

I admit I always carry a small pocket knife everywhere I go, it is maybe only an inch long with a file, scissors, tweezers, and toothpick.

Sounds like mine. Swiss Army. 20 bucks. :thumbsup:

trackbarroness
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
My aunt a few visits back forgot she had mase (the defense spray) in her bag. They consider that stuff to be a weapon also. Security had her get rid of it, and that was at Animal Kingdom.

wedway76
12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Hmm...something I've never thought of! We stay on property, so we try to carry as little as possible into the parks.

So..no keys, or files or knives (even a pocket knife!) Just a small bag with our camera, water and raincoats!

Same here, we just carry essentials to the parks.

I don’t even take my entire wallet. I take my room key, my driver’s license (for I.D.) a credit card. I usually carry a small camera bag that just barely fits my digital camera and video camera. Sometimes I will even leave the cameras in the room.

When I get to my room on day one I put my house and car keys in the room safe I leave them there for the entire trip.

WriteDisney
12-13-2007, 04:08 PM
This was found on disneyworld main website (see link below). It looks like the generalized "no weapons" policy would be in effect. It would most likely be up to disney security whether or not something is a weapon.

Q. Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the Theme Parks?

A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQThemeParkPage#q13

Jasper
12-13-2007, 04:28 PM
This was found on disneyworld main website (see link below). It looks like the generalized "no weapons" policy would be in effect. It would most likely be up to disney security whether or not something is a weapon.

Q. Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the Theme Parks?

A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQThemeParkPage#q13

I guess this means it would apply to a pocketknife of ANY size.

My father is another one of those whose has always carried a small penknife since he was a child growing up on the farm. He would never think twice about having it in his pocket because it is such a long time habit.

I don't think someone like my father ever really intends to break the rules but they are such honest people that they never even consider that such rules exist or that someone might consider his tiny knife as a weapon. And yes, I realize that in this day and age the security people at Disney or anyplace else can't take any chances. It's really a matter of educating everyone about what is allowed.

Janmac
12-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, there you go. My little Victorinox (tweezers, toothpick, nail file, scissors, etc) pocket tool doesn't sound like it fits in that list.

Doesn't have any wheels on it either. :D

Jan

SignguyTom
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I guess this means it would apply to a pocketknife of ANY size.

I'm not sure it is as clear-cut as that.

Donald A
12-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I actually did an online search over this issue after the incident involving the PA lady last week.

Disney has a no weapons policy as another poster pointed out. They don't want weapons in their parks. However, it is not like they are going to arrest you for taking a knife in the park. There are stories on the web of people taking in firearms with a legal concealed carry permit. This is actually not against Florida law as an amusement park is not a place which is a prohibited zone for guns. Florida also has no law that legally carrying a firearm on private property (even with signs indicating no guns) is prohibited. Disney in this case asks the individual to remove the firearm from the park. Refusal to do so would be armed tresspassing, a felony.

My guess is the PA lady was arrested because she did not have a gun permit. Therefore she was breaking the law.

I just want to say that I have no intention of taking a weapon into the park. I think that would be dangerous and pointless. I just wanted to clarify what I found out regarding Disney's weapon policy and Florida law.

Janmac
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for posting, Donald A. Good to know info.

Jan

SignguyTom
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I also have no intention of taking a weapon into the parks. Is my 1.25" blade with a nail file, teeny scissors, a toothpick and tweezers considered a weapon by Disney?

ryca1dreams
12-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Disney has a no weapons policy as another poster pointed out. They don't want weapons in their parks. However, it is not like they are going to arrest you for taking a knife in the park. There are stories on the web of people taking in firearms with a legal concealed carry permit. This is actually not against Florida law as an amusement park is not a place which is a prohibited zone for guns. Florida also has no law that legally carrying a firearm on private property (even with signs indicating no guns) is prohibited. Disney in this case asks the individual to remove the firearm from the park. Refusal to do so would be armed tresspassing, a felony.

My guess is the PA lady was arrested because she did not have a gun permit. Therefore she was breaking the law.

I just want to say that I have no intention of taking a weapon into the park. I think that would be dangerous and pointless.

I don't claim to be an expert on Florida state law so bear with me. If the lady did not have the required permit (which Florida would recognize) then she would be breaking the law. If someone had a permit and was asked to leave, there would be no grounds for further action; there is no crime being committed under State Statute 810.09 because they have a right to be there and have a legal right to carry the gun.

Now, is it prudent - no. Like you, I don't do it and I wouldn't advise anyone to. WDW is well protected.

Now, if I'm way off I apologize, but that's how I read the law. I do think Disney should have a policy that specifically excludes firearms as a safety issue if not a legal one - I don't think that would be so bad.

WriteDisney
12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Disney Security Finds Gun in Guest Bag
Magic Kingdom security found a handgun as well as a pocket knife and scissors during a routine bag check at the park's entrance. Mary Ann Richardson was arrested for possession of a concealed weapon, and has since been released on bail. In interviews, Ms. Richardson states that she forgot the items were in her purse.

This was in "The Mouse for Less" newsletter that I recieved this morning. I also am not sure who would have the "carry permit" besides police officers. It would be just like the above article, carrying a concealed weapon. I think this puts this argument to rest. At least for me anyway. I'm sure some will still argue about what you can or can't bring in. But I now feel like my opinions have been verified.

I found an article on it online that verifies the incident happened:
http://www.local6.com/news/14808445/detail.html

Donald A
12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I also am not sure who would have the "carry permit" besides police officers.

Many people have concealed carry permits that are not police officers, this includes civilians in both Florida and PA (whose permit Florida recognizes).

That being said. This discussion is about the weapons policy at Disney. I think all of us agree on here that carrying a firearm in WDW is a dumb idea. This is especially true of a lady that "forgot" she had a gun. That is not being responsible with a deadly weapon.

Grizz16
12-19-2007, 12:59 AM
I've never taken anything that would have to go through bag check, so I've never went though it. I've also never had to empty my pockets at the gate. So, unless the ones who go through the bag check line also have to empty their pockets, I don't know how Disney would know if someone is carrying a knife or whatever.

What consitutes a "weapon" is subjective. If Disney wants "no weapons" in the parks, then people couldn't bring in things such as car keys, belts, cameras, shoelaces or even shoes. Because all those objects could be used to attack someone, even if it doesn't cause serious bodily harm. Even certain kinds of souvenirs from the parks could be considered weapons, like the wooden guns sold at PoTC.

kakn7294
12-19-2007, 08:31 AM
My guess is the PA lady was arrested because she did not have a gun permit. Therefore she was breaking the law.According to what I read elsewhere, she had a permit for the gun and all her paperwork as far as that goes was in order, the problem is that her permit does not allow her to carry a CONCEALED weapon. That's why she was arrested - not for having the gun, but for having it in her purse where it's now considered a concealed weapon. Apparently, had she had the concealed weapons permit, all they could have done was ask her to leave the property unless she became uncooperative with them.

I also have no intention of taking a weapon into the parks. Is my 1.25" blade with a nail file, teeny scissors, a toothpick and tweezers considered a weapon by Disney?I suppose that would be at the discretion of the security personnel who would be inspecting it at the time. Obviously, it's a matter of opinion when it comes to those little penknives / multi-tools. Some feel they are still a weapon (and they can inflict some damage but so can a lot of other innocuous items in a lady's purse or man's pocket) but others do not. Personally I don't think they are a problem but I still make my Dad leave his behind.

SBETigg
12-19-2007, 08:45 AM
If the policy is simply "no weapons" I think they expect people to have common sense about what constitutes a weapon. It's not really a matter of you knowing that you're not going to hurt anyone with your pocket knife. The real thing to ask yourself is if you think anyone with questionable intentions should be allowed in the park with the same item. If the answer is yes, no problem, then maybe you could go ahead, or ask security to be sure. If the answer is no, leave it behind.

The 911 hijackers were armed with nothing more serious than simple boxcutters. I'm sure they could have argued that it was a tool and not a weapon. Better that Disney asks you to leave your pocket knife behind if there's any question than risks the safety of all guests.

irish1967
12-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Hmmmm - I've had martial arts training and even though an injury stopped my journey before I got my black belt - technically one COULD consider my body to be a weapon and as such, I wouldn't be allowed in the parks! :mickey:

DigitalDaredevil
12-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Thank goodness there is not an Anti-Ninja Policy.
I think the rule of thumb here is common sense. Most people carry small items like pocket knives and tweezers as tools. If its a small item, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. But bring in a 12" bowie knife, then there may be a problem.
I'm a police officer and one of the reasons I love going to Disney is that I never feel that I need a weapon. Definitely one of the safest places to go, and the crowds are some of the best behaved.

dmosher
12-24-2007, 12:16 AM
As a Cast Member in the past, I am certain of the Weapons policy, which is:
NO Weapons of any kind. Now you may say that this is open to suggestion as to what is a weapon? Right?
Wrong!
Zero Weapons means Zero Weapons. True, many of us carry Swiss Army knives, etc. However, even these are still considered a weapon and should be left outside of the park. Technically, you can not bring even these into the parks. it is up to you as to whether you want to follow or break the rules.
:pipes:
D

Victor Kelly
12-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Not that I want to rehash my previous postings or beat a dead horse here. BUT, I happen to carry a firearm almost all the time since I have valid concealed weapons permits in many states including Florida. I do not stay on property, I drive all over Florida on vacation. I take responsibility for my own safety as well as my family's safety.

That being said, I carry a firearm to the park, I ID myself with my concealed weapons permit and am escorted to a secure area where I check my weapons and go about my vacation without a problem. This is Policy as explained to me in private emails with Disney, Universal, Sea World etc. If I CHOSE not to declare my firearm and other sundry tools I carry, it is my choice and it is protected by law. However, I feel no need to be armed at all inside an amusement park. There are plenty of security and off duty police in every major theme park I have visited. In fact that means weapons are NOT NEEDED.

I am happy for those that chose not to carry weapons, it is your right to decide that. As for pocket knives, come on, get a life, and live with the fact that many people carry Swiss Army knives. ANYTHING can be made into a weapon with a little imagination.

In the end, if you have a doubt leave it at home or in the room. But remember one thing, those of us that conceal weapons as part of our jobs or because we have to by law, can conceal a full sized pistol under a t-shirt and you would not know it until you patted us down. Beside the point yes, but just because I can it doesn't mean that I do.

DisneyGiant
12-25-2007, 02:12 PM
This topic has been enlightening! I never knew so many people carried pocket knives!

In fact - I don't even think I know some one that carries a pocket knife. A question, I will be sure to ask everyone at Christmas dinner!

SignguyTom
12-26-2007, 10:55 AM
This topic has been enlightening! I never knew so many people carried pocket knives!

In fact - I don't even think I know some one that carries a pocket knife. A question, I will be sure to ask everyone at Christmas dinner!

You should get one. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it!