PDA

View Full Version : Vick gets 23 months for Dogfighting

Hammer
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Vick Gets 23 Months for Dogfighting

By LARRY O'DELL, AP
Mon Dec 10, 11:05 AM EST
Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback could have been sentenced up to five years by District Judge Henry E. Hudson. Vick was dressed in a black-and-white striped prison suit and apologized to the court and his family.

Hudson responded, "You need to apologize to the millions of young people who looked up to you."

"Yes, sir," Vick said.

Vick acknowledged he used "poor judgment" and added, "I'm willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions."

Before the hearing started, Michael Vick's brother, Marcus Vick, sat with his right arm around their mother, comforting her as she buried her head in her hands and wept.

Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs.

In a plea agreement, he admitted bankrolling the dogfighting ring on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights. He also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

DizneyRox
12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Another "celebrity" gets off with a hand slap.

What a shame...

JPL
12-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the fact that he got any time in prison is a shock I would have figured he would off got off easier. I mean 23 months in prison and pretty much the end of his NFL Career is not exactly a slap on the wrist.

Donald A
12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Even with good behavior, he can get out in the summer of 2009. That is two full seasons of football gone. I don't think he will be able to make much of a comeback missing that much. In prison he can play basketball and stuff but can not lift weights. Conditioning is going to be tough. You would think coming out of prison for close to two years away from a sport would take at least a year to get reconditioned to play at the level he needs to. We'll see, I bet we all forget about him and it will be interesting to see if he plays in the NFL again.

thrillme
12-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't think 23 months is near enough for this ugly violent crime. Him NOT knowing about it (as he lied in the beginning of all this)...He sure had quite a set up for "not knowing" anything.

I'm laying odds we'll see him out in less than 6 months.

medic9016
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't think 23 months is near enough for this ugly violent crime. Him NOT knowing about it (as he lied in the beginning of all this)...He sure had quite a set up for "not knowing" anything.

I agree. I also think he will play in the NFL again. Some one will take the chance on him. This will all depend on the state charges he now faces. He still has a court date to face the state charges April 2, 2008. From what I understand any time served for a state conviction, must be served after the federal sentence is completed.

IloveJack
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs.

In a plea agreement, he admitted bankrolling the dogfighting ring on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights.

As the owner of a very sweet, incredibly well-behaved, lap-dog of a pit bull, who had to be rehabilitated after he was rescued from a fighting ring, I have to say that this is ridiculous. All you ever hear about is how another pit bull bit some kid. And the dog is killed, without question. But someone raises dogs with the exact purpose of killing, and he only gets 23 months? Something is wrong with this logic...

WDWfanatic742
12-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Whenever he does get out, there has to be at least a year suspension from the NFL alone before he can even play. I hardly doubt after lying to Arthur Blank(sp?) that he will keep Vick on the team. He'll be at the earliest 30 years old by the time he will be able to play again.