PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur

Meteora
12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi friends,

We are hopefully making our annual trip to Disney in two weeks. Dinosaur is one of the few rides I haven't tried for the simple reason that...I'm terrified! I hate loud noises (I wear earplugs during fireworks), and the only thing I dislike more than loud noises are unexpected loud noises. I also am not fond of things jumping out of me. Overall, it seems like this ride was basically designed to incorporate every element that would freak me out. However, I hate that there's this supposedly amazing ride that I haven't tried. So, for those of you who have ridden it, is it worth it for me? Any tips on how a scaredy-cat can get through it in one not-so-quivering piece?

Pirate Granny
12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
I love the ride...and was never scared...yes, it's in the dark, and it's very jerky (a step up of movements from Star Wars and Body Wars) and take those movements and add to it in a moving car (not stationary like Star Wars and Body Wars)...now, I'm afraid of roller coasters and this doesn't qualify...I'm trying to remember and there are only a few loud noises...Try it...once won't hurt and if you don't like it, then you've satified your curiousity and you never have to ride it again...but you may find you like it...Do you ride EVEREST?
:pirate:

PrincessEmmasMommy
12-09-2007, 07:20 PM
If I were you, I'd avoid it. It is full of loud noises, things jumping out and it is quite bumpy. My Dear BIL told us it was nothing so my DH with a herniated disc in his back and DD4 1/2 at the time rode this this past summer. It was awful. My husband was feeling achy afterwards and my DD cried and screamed the whole time as we covered her ears and eyes. Don't do it! We won't be riding this overrated ride again any time soon.
Jen

SBETigg
12-09-2007, 08:11 PM
It's an amazing ride and I love it, but I really think it's going to be a nightmare experience for you considering what you've said. It's full of the unexpected- loud noises, things jumping out. I've ridden it dozens of times and I'm still terrified (for me, in a good way) while I'm riding. It's bumpy and jerky. It's wild from start to finish with no quiet moments to recoup.

If you do choose to ride, wear earplugs, sit in a middle seat, and just remind yourself that it's not real. Perhaps if you look it up on YouTube and see if there's a ride video that would help you know what to expect.

baby minnie's mommy
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
We found this ride to have too many jerky motions. If you are interested in ride technology and animatronics, then this one may interest you. I think that's what the hype is about - newer and more complex behind-the-scenes technology.

It can be a fun ride, but only if you are in good shape for it. It's dark in there, so you can't predict where the vehicle will go or lurch next.

Some people like it, but I don't consider it worth a wait if you think you won't enjoy it.

MinnieMommie
12-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Dinosaur is a great ride for people who like it but you may not be one of those people. It is a loud ride with jerky movements and some unexpected features. Not sure it's something you want to try. :mickey:

MiaBella
12-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I would have to agree this will be one right my youngest and I will be avoiding in January.
The last time we went on this the 2 of us held each other in a ball.
I have a bad back and my youngest is VERY scared of loud sounds! Well this time she will be 8 1/2 years old and she is STILL frightened by dino's and when she hears someone mention this ride she FREAKS!
Take the advice and SKIP IT :(

Lacy
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Dinosaur is one of my favorite rides (depending on what day you ask me, it is my absolute favorite!). That being said, I wouldn't recommend it for you. It is loud , dark, and jerky. I think you would have a better trip if you don't worry about going on it. There are just some rides that aren't for everyone.

DizneyRox
12-10-2007, 06:24 AM
If you really wanted to try it, knowing that things can jump out at you, and there will be loud noises, it might not be so bad. However, in recent years, it has been in disrepair, so before you waste a trip, I'd check from others if everything is working.

The last few times I was on it, there were missing Dinosaurs, the audio track wasn't matched up to the ride, etc. It's also no longer in complete darkness is most areas. You'd think if bulbs were burned out it would be dark, but for some reason, it's lighter!

disneydeb
12-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I beleive everyone should try everything once, but this ride was the one I could omit from that statement.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I do not want to disencourage you but I will be honest and blunt...DINOSAUR, as I have said many times before, is the one ride in the whole world that scared the living daylights out of me!

I can ride everything, the biggest rollercoasters, the highest ToTīs, Mission Space, all those things..

but Dinosaur was a terrible, terrible experience..when I first went off the ride, I was so shaky that I couldn't walk for 10 minutes :blush:

When I went on the second time, to try and conquer my fears, it was worse! I had my eyes closed, my hands on my ears and just praying for it to end..

If you go, I wish you good luck and hope it doesn't traumatize you as it did me :secret:

Meteora
12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks so much for all the help!

Sounds like I can safely give this one a pass and head on over to the Nemo show instead. :mickey:

centralohio disneyfan
12-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Dinosaur s one of my "must do" attractions, not only at Animal Kingdom, but in all of Disney World.
Personally I think you should try it unless you have a bad back or herniated discs like one of the previous posters. If you have medical problems like that, I think you should heed the instructions that are posted before the ride.

RedheadWriter
12-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Try it. It's one ride. You might like it. Be adventurous, be daring! Face the fears....:)
If you sit and ponder if you will regret never going on a ride that most people rave about and the answer is "Well, ya, I'd regret not seeing what the hype is about", do it. I think you are already prepped mentally as to what is going to happen so it's not a complete surprise.
My Mom HATES drops and the feeling of her stomach dropping, but she said there was no way in Hades she's skip Everest. She went on it twice. In a row. And wants to go back. Enough said.

#1donaldfan
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
The ride is awesome. Just keep in mind that it's a "sensory overload" type of ride.....very loud, bright flasing lights in the near total darkness, constant jolting to and fro.....if you go into it with the mindset of I'm going to get jostled around, hear a lot of very loud "roaring", be shocked with flashing lights, and that it's all for intertainment and nothing "bad" is going to happen...you should be just fine......again, the ride is VERY good.:mickey:

garymacd
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
DON'T sit on the right side of the car!

MinnieMommie
12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks so much for all the help!

Sounds like I can safely give this one a pass and head on over to the Nemo show instead. :mickey:

I did the same on a recent trip. While my family waited for Dinosaur (and actually never got on due to problems with the attraction) I and my youngest went to see Nemo. It was excellent. That I can recommend to you wholeheartedly. :mickey:

Darin M
12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
It is quite a bumpy and jerky ride. Fun, but but way too much movement.

EeyoreGirl84
12-11-2007, 04:04 AM
you sound just like me! haha. im going go disney tomorrow (the 12th) and i am not looking forward to the loud fireworks (HATE loud noises, unexpected ones at that). but i'm bringing ear plugs as well.

about this issue though... i went on it about 2 years ago and it really wasn't that bad. It was actually kinda fun! mission space on the other hand.... i thought i was going to die. I CRIED and panicked. lol. never again.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I recently posted a similar thread. I said I was absolutely terrified by DINOSAUR and that I was very afraid about going on Indiana Jones Adventure over at DLR

People also said that it is fine and that I should go on it..I am still thinking about it, since I read here that people also say "it is nothing" or "you'll be fine"

Which I really wasn't when I rode Dinosaur :blush:

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I love the thrill of a roller coaster, but I do not enjoy being jolted around and startled just for the sake of it. I'm glad I went on it once just to see for myself, but there are so many other things I would rather do at Animal Kingdom!!

Sammyjo
12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I loved it, that being said I have people in my family that are sound sensitive and you should skip it. If you don't like that kind of thing it won't be a great ride for you.

MOJoe
12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
It sounds like you have seen most of what Disney has to offer. Have you ever seen Ellen's Energy Adventure? Dinosaur is like that - but on mega steroids. You ride in a car. But instead of a smooth, flat track, you go over simulated rocks and streams. Very bumpy. The Dinos Ellen has, seem tame and removed compared to the wild and "in your face" ones at Dinosaur. While Ellen's ride seems huge, Dinosaur feels quite claustrophobic. Ellen's ride is quite calm. Dinosaur is frantic. Other that that, the two attractions are very similair ;).
Seriously, this is a "Thrill Ride". If you don't like thrills you won't enjoy it. You may even hate it. But if you really want to experience all that Disney has to offer, then gather your courage and go for it.

Kisobel
12-13-2007, 04:39 AM
i rode it twice and still don't like it. you don't have to ride every ride at disney.

kate

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, the ride is very good! The AA's are realistic, the ride is very advanced, the special effects are really cool! I can certainly understand that people love this ride :)

I don't but I can understand it....:D

cal5755
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
My mom does not do any big rides. She hates roller coasters. She did like DINOSAUR though. I would say try it once.. if you dont like it dont do it again. My 3 kids liked it.. ds(12) dd(8) and dd(4). It is loud though... ds covered his ears most of the ride and it is very jerky.

Have fun on your trip... and let us know what you do!!

EJS-Houston
12-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Dinosaur's one of my favorite attractions at WDW, but like the majority here I would have to advice you to give it a pass.

prttynpnk
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM
DON'T sit on the right side of the car!

I love this ride! I would follow DrGrant Seeker to the ends of the earth. That being said, my husband teases me that every picture is me with my face buried in his chest as the dinosaur trys to eat me.
I'd skip it if I were you.

Belle619
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
We rode DINOSAUR last year for the first time - keep in mind, I was 26, my sister 36. While in line, I was terrified. I kept thinking "why am I doing this to myself?!?!?" but my sister was fine and actually pretty excited for the ride.

Once on the ride, I realized the dinos didn't look real, so they weren't very scary and I actually ende up LOVING the ride. My sister on the other hand was petrified. She hated things coming at her, the loud noises, and the jerky motion of the car. We purchased the picture at the end because the expression on her face was priceless!

I will admit - the ride is LOUD and I was jumping due to being scared by the sound rather than the dinos. So, my recommendation is - if you do go on, wear ear plugs - who cares if it makes you enjoy the ride more. As for the "scary" part of the ride - just sit in the middle row, middle to left seats. Just remember it isn't real and it can't hurt you!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi friends,

We are hopefully making our annual trip to Disney in two weeks. Dinosaur is one of the few rides I haven't tried for the simple reason that...I'm terrified! I hate loud noises (I wear earplugs during fireworks), and the only thing I dislike more than loud noises are unexpected loud noises. I also am not fond of things jumping out of me. Overall, it seems like this ride was basically designed to incorporate every element that would freak me out. However, I hate that there's this supposedly amazing ride that I haven't tried. So, for those of you who have ridden it, is it worth it for me? Any tips on how a scaredy-cat can get through it in one not-so-quivering piece? :sick: I hate this ride...I don't say that usually in the same context with Disney...and can't even think of another ride to say I hate at Disney....it is loud and I had a horrible crick in my neck after riding because it jerks you around so much....I would avoid it if I were you....for my son, he loved it but he's 13.