PDA

View Full Version : Dec DL Adeventure - Intro & Day 1

Lacy
12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Intro: This is my first trip report. I decided to write one because I found the other trip reports so helpful in planning my trip since there is less DLR info than WDW info here at Intercot. So here it goes :mickey:

Cast: Me - 25 (Disney-nut)
DH - 27 (not a Disney-nut and first trip to DL)

Background: DH won free air tickets at work and DMiL offered us some of her timeshare time because they wouldn't be able to use all of their points this year. So we were able to do a "budget" trip with free airfare and accommodations. We stayed at Dolphin's Cove Fairfield Resort...right off of Harbor Blvd on Orangewood. It was certainly nice enough and very close (not quite walking distance).

We decided on DL as our destination for two reasons: We wanted to see HM Holiday and I thought DH would really appreciate Disney after visiting Disneyland!

Day 1: We had an early flight on Saturday morning so we arrived at the Orange County Airport around 10 am. We got a rental car and were to the resort by 11 am. We stopped to see if we could possibly check-in or store our luggage no such luck so we headed to DL. Parked in the Timon lot and were on our way!

Our first stop was the Disneyland: First 50 Years exhibit and movie. DH was reluctant to spend time watching a movie and looking at the exhibit but I convinced him that it would be good. We both really enjoyed it and it set the stage for the trip. DH kept saying things like "this is an original ride or this has changed since 1955"....I was so proud :secret:

We then proceeded to Tomorrowland to get Space Mtn FPs and watch the ASIMO show at Innoventions. This was one of our favorites of the whole trip. It really is remarkable how much the robot can do and very cool that he is at DL!

We headed to the other side of the park where it seemed to be much less crowded. We had gumbo from the Royal Street Veranda which was quite good. Next we headed to Critter Country and stopped to do the Davy Crockett Canoes on our way. I really enjoyed this even though there isn't much too it (maybe because they aren't available at WDW). We then rode Splash and Pooh before using fastpasses at HM Holiday. All we had to say was "Wow". The stretching room is incredible and we throughly enjoyed the whole attraction. It is amazing how much work they put into the transformation.

It was finally time for our Space FPs so we headed that way before taking a break to go check-in at the resort. Space Mtn was another "Wow" moment for us. I was amazed at how smooth the ride was and how much the soundtrack adds to the ride! Hopefully, they will upgrade WDW's in a similar fashion.

After getting back from the resort we had about a half hour before we could check-in for our Fantasmic! priority seating so we wandered through Adventureland and Tarzan's Treehouse. We were in line for the Fantasmic! PS by 7 and there were several people in front of us. We were still able to get seats in the center stage section just 3rd row. After we checked in, we rode Pirates and looked around New Orleans. We thought it was fun that we could look into Club 33 because the line was out the door. I think there were a lot of "special" people in the park because of the Candlelight Processional.

We returned to our Fantasmic! seats a little before 8:30 so we could enjoy our hot chocolate and desserts. There was a dessert buffet set up instead of dessert boxes. I actually liked this better so I pick out the desserts I wanted. I won't say how many Mickey crispy treats and strawberries I had, but these are my two favorite Disney treats so I was quite happy. About 10 min before the show started the people in front of us showed up and they were tall so I asked the cast member if we could stand up during the show. He said we could be he had a better idea. He rearranged our seats so we were behind kids. We had a perfect view! DH doesn't like Fantasmic! near as much as I do but he was glad we did the priority seating as we enjoyed being treated like VIPs. We stayed in our seats for the fireworks and had a good view. They have both the music and "snow" in this area so I thought it was a good place to watch and nice to have seats.

At this point we were pretty tired so we rode Indy and headed back to the resort. We had a great first day!

tinkwest
12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
That was neat that you introduced your DH to Disneyland by starting off with the 50 year presentation. Sounds like the beginning of a great trip.

EPCOT84
12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Very informative. I guess your DH surprised you. Thank you for taking time to make a trip report Lacy :thumbsup: I look forward to the next report.

NotaGeek
12-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for posting! Can't wait to meet more of your "convert the DH" trip! :mickey:

Melanie
12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks so much for reporting, and especially on the Fantasmic! seating. Great first day! Can't wait to read more about your DH's reactions. :balloon:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Wow really sounds like a great first day! can't wait to go, 12 more days! I hope your husband will catch the Disney-bug too :D

ChipnDaleGal
12-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Sounds like Disneyland is working its magic on your hubby. What a wonderful first day! Thank you for sharing it with us. :mickey:

BklynChick
12-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a great first day. You lucked out on the Fantasmic dessert buffet - that's the way it used to be on the Disney Gallery balcony. The Mickey rice krispie treats and strawberries are my favorites, too!

Thanks for sharing!