PDA

View Full Version : Had my first School Bread!

MickeyMousse
12-08-2007, 07:33 PM
During our trip last month I made it a point to go to Norway and try what I have been hearing alot about: School Bread. It was soooooo good-:joy: and big enough to feed a small country on! My DH tried to buy another one the night before we left, for the ride home.....sadly, no luck as they were sold out. Honestly, it would have never made it into the car......:eat: It is now my newest Disney must have!

IloveDisney71
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Can anyone explain what it tastes like? I will arrive in WDW next Saturday! I'd like to try something new. Thanks!

Miss Mouse
12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Total WDW newbie here.... what is school bread? :scratch:

Christine
12-08-2007, 08:51 PM
You should really like coconut to like the school bread.

It is a pastry with a icing/cream cheese type frosting/filling, and it has coconut on top.

IloveDisney71
12-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the explaination. I don't like coconut, but my mom loves it. I'll have to make sure she tries it during our trip.:mickey:

SBETigg
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
It looks like a donut but be warned, it is definitely a bread. Very bready. The icing/filling is more like a very sweet butter than a custard, though it is technically custard. It's a very dense snack. I'm not fond of them, but from the appearance, I was counting on a doughnut-type treat.

Crow
12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
it is great! discovered it a few yrs ago n love it. the 2 times i was on DDP i used a snack credit for it. have it w a Viking coffee & nothings better

Cinderelley
12-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I love school bread!!! I think it's more comparable to a bread bowl than a donut, but it has custard in the middle, with frosting and coconut on top. It's very large and rich. I would suggest sharing one with someone if you don't like coconut. The other person can have the part with the coconut, and you can try a part without it.

JerseyMouse
12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
DW loves them, I'll eat a piece as long as I scrape off the coconut. I really miss the cherry pockets that bakery used to have!

SurferStitch
12-20-2007, 02:05 PM
We had two of them on our trip this month (for the very first time), and it was wonderful!

The first one was much better than the second one. First one was was plenty big enough to share, was soft and moist, and just perfect. The second one (about 5 days later), was very small (too small to share), the bread/dough was drier and more chewy, and just not as good.

The filling was a nice, rich vanilla custard....but not overly sweet.

I'll write off the second one as a fluke, and will look forward to getting another one on our next trip!

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 05:08 PM
It looks like a donut but be warned, it is definitely a bread. Very bready. The icing/filling is more like a very sweet butter than a custard, though it is technically custard. It's a very dense snack. I'm not fond of them, but from the appearance, I was counting on a doughnut-type treat.

That's good to know about the filling. I don't care for custard, so I didn't want to try one, even though the outside looked so yummy! Maybe I will give it a go on my next trip.