PDA

View Full Version : Kona bread, heaven in a basket

mouseketeer mom
12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
:cloud9:We had dinner at Kona's two weeks ago and had the most MAGNIFICENT bread I ever tasted in my life. I'm not a bread person, but this was heaven. Like a fluffy marshmallow, sweet and oh so light. We all went nuts for it. Including the butter that went with it. I asked for the recipe, and got it. However, the recipe makes like a million loaves of bread. Uh...does anyone have the recipe to make just a loaf or two? I don't think I could even describe this bread, it was that extraordinary!

RedheadWriter
12-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Will you send me the recipe in a pm? I have a baker friend who can try and tweak the recipe to make a smaller quantity. he said he would look at it.

mouseketeer mom
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Wow. That would be great. I'm PMing you right now.

PrincessEmmasMommy
12-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. The bread there was the best I have experienced in a long time and the butter made it even better. We ate there 2 times on our last trip and requested an extra loaf to take back to our room (which they gladly gave us) and we ate it for breakfast the next morning. Wow!
Jen

illini
12-08-2007, 11:51 PM
The bread IS fabulous. I wasn't overly impressed with Kona on the whole, but the bread. And the butter!!! I don't even like butter, and I had to ask for more!

ILoveLegos
12-09-2007, 02:53 PM
The Kona bread was soo good the last time we ate there that after our early dinner, we packed the left over bread in our "napsack" and kept it to snack on during Spectromagic and Wishes! Yummy!!! When going through security on our way back into Magic Kingdom - the security guard said that he wanted some bread too!!! :mickey:

Caroleh
12-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Oh, that bread and butter was SO good...if you get it tweeked, may I have it also, please?

mouseketeer mom
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh, that bread and butter was SO good...if you get it tweeked, may I have it also, please?

Yes! Of course! Redheadwriter was sending it to her baker friend to adjust it, and that would be amazing if we could actually make this at home!

RedheadWriter
12-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I emailed it it to him and he is taking it into the kitchen tomorrow! He thinks a one/tenth recipe will work (it will still make about 4-6 loaves he thinks. We'll see. I am going to be the guinea pig when he does it and will let you know.
I had to laugh when I saw 40 pounds of flour as the first ingredient.....hello! :D

rj
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Can't wait till Feb. :thumbsup:

baby minnie's mommy
12-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I can't remember the Kona Cafe bread in particular, but when we were at the Poly a few years ago I know I just loved the bread they served! O'hana, the Luau, everywhere they had it I gobbled it up. Of course, I didn't realize I had just gotten pregnant and that's why I was eating like a ravenous bear...:blush:

On a side note, our supermarket sells packages of dinner rolls by the deli that are called Hawaiian sweet rolls (I think?). We get them a lot, and after our Poly stay I said "these taste like the bread there!" Not exactly the same, but a good fix for someone missing that yummy flavor. :D

mouseketeer mom
12-10-2007, 12:04 PM
The Ohana bread is yummy too, but its very different then the Kona bread. Ohanas bread has small pieces of pineapple in it, its stickier, and a bit heavier. Konas is so light, like a marshmallow, really. I never had that texture in a bread anywhere else in my whole life. Its sweet without being heavy. And then when you pair it with the butter., well, I'm a goner. I'm usually the one who passes on the bread basket too. So that tells you something!

thrillme
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I emailed it it to him and he is taking it into the kitchen tomorrow! He thinks a one/tenth recipe will work (it will still make about 4-6 loaves he thinks. We'll see. I am going to be the guinea pig when he does it and will let you know.
I had to laugh when I saw 40 pounds of flour as the first ingredient.....hello! :D

This sounds delicious. Can you add me to the PM list too please should you get the "tweaked" version. WOW...40 lbs of flour...That DEFINATELY blows the "carb" count...:D

mouseketeer mom
12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
This sounds delicious. Can you add me to the PM list too please should you get the "tweaked" version. WOW...40 lbs of flour...That DEFINATELY blows the "carb" count...:D

Yes. I'll PM you if and when the recipe gets tweaked! No problem!

eeyoremom
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I also would love this recipe when you get it . Sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks

LandFan
12-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah, they said they just recently said they switched to this Hawaiian sweet bread recipe and macadamia honey butter. It totally rocked! I took it home with me too (and asked for more butter to go!

Anthony007
12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I would also like a PM......we are going to Kona on our next trip but I would like a taste of heaven before we go!

RedheadWriter
12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
We've had ice and sleet here and unfortuntely, I have had no visit from Peter with the tweakage yet. Roads were bad last night. He has promised a Wednesday unveiling. I don;t know what the bread is supposed to taste like from Kona so I will just comment and try to describe what he makes.
Also, we might try to mix the pineapple, macadamia nuts and butter. Peter said he might not use the juice, but pulp from the pineapple for that.

wendy*darling
12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
You can post the tweaked recipe here for all to see. :mickey:
And better yet- email it to [email protected] so it can be posted in the Recipe section of InfoCentral. :thumbsup:

jennsky
12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm going to Poly for my first time in May. I'd love to try Kona bread....but I have a dumb question. I'm assuming it's served at Kona Cafe, but is it a breakfast or lunch/dinner thing? Do you order it or do they bring it as part of your meal? :confused:

mouseketeer mom
12-11-2007, 09:03 PM
They brought it to us before our dinner a few weeks ago. We had this adorable waitress from Korea, and she said she put on 5 lbs since she started working at Kona's because she can't stop with this bread!

DisneyOtaku
12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I made an ADR for Kona next week when we go JUST so my friend can try the SUPER AMAZING BREAD! :cloud9:

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
OK everyone. I tried this but having never had the real thing, I can only pass along the recipe and let you folks who have had it be the judges.
I found the bread a little heavy (perhaps too many eggs?) but it tasted really good. I am of Portuguese descent and I found this to be comparable to our sweet bread (massa) just with pineapple flaor rther than the lemon that is traditionally used in our baking.

Original recipe:
Kona Sweet Bread

AP Flour 40lbs.
Hi-Gluten Flour 10lbs.
Salt 9oz.
Granulated Sugar 4 lbs. 10oz.
Yeast (instant) 1 lb. 4oz.
Eggs 1 gal.
Pineapple Juice 9.5qts.
Margarine (melted) 5 lbs.

Method:
1.In the Mixer with a dough hook combine Juice (water and concentrate), salt, sugar, eggs on 1st speed.
2.Next add, flour, margarine, Mix for 30 seconds and add yeast. Mix on 1st speed until incorporated.(about 2 minutes)
3.Mix in 2nd speed until the dough cleanly pulls from the sides of the bowl (about 5 mins)
4.Cut dough into 10oz.portions, place 8 loaves per pan. Form each portion in to a ball and cross cut with a pizza wheel. Spray the top of each loaf with Chef Coat.
5. Proof for 1 hour or until desired height is reached.
6. Bake in oven at 325 degrees for 15 mins.

Here is the recipe that he came up with using one tenth of the provided ingredient list.

4 lbs AP flour
1 lb Hi Gluten Flour
.9 oz salt (he used a digital scale to measure)
7.5 oz sugar
2 oz. yeast
Eggs-1/10 gallon measured in a marked gallon container. Depending on egg size, quantity of eggs will vary. I guess find a marked container? I only have one of those Pampered Chef drink mixing ones.
1/2 lb margarine
3 and 3/4 cup pineapple juice.

Be sure to use LEVEL measurements. Use cooking spray in place of chef coat. Folow other cooking instructions.

He made 6 huge loaves with this recipe, which may or may not work for you unless you can give the bread away. LOL.

We made the butter to taste using the pineapple juice and nuts. We left the nuts slightly coarse to add some texture.

There you have it! I hope this helps. Like I said, having never had the real things I can;t say how exact this is.

I will, however, be trying the bread in a few weeks when I amthere again!

Rachel:)

ElenitaB
12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
My only incursion into the bread-baking world has been with pizza dough, but I'm very intrigued by this recipe.

In an attempt to come up with a measure for those of us without Pampered Chef products :blush: , I found a calculator to determine how many cups of eggs. There are 16 US cups to a US gallon, so 0.1 gallons equals 1.6 cups. I'm going to try with just 1.5 cups. (Though I'm tempted to take the whoie thing down to a quarter of RedHeadWriter's friend's calculations.)

If I do end up making 6 loaves of bread, does anyone think that the bread and some of the composed butter, might make a nice Christmas present for neighbors?

RedheadWriter
12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
A quarter of the tweaked recipe would be great for 2 loaves I am sure.
Yes, even with the bread being a bit heavy with his recipe and if it comes out the same for others, I think your neighbors would love it.

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Where does one get this Hi gluten flour and also what is Chef's coat? Is that like a non stick spray?
Elenita,
I'm so excited for you to make this bread! I know I won't get to try it until after the holidays! I'm your NJ neighbor...but probably not close enough to get a loaf, huh???;);) Just kidding! Let us know how it goes!

Anthony007
12-14-2007, 09:21 AM
We left the nuts slightly coarse to add some texture.

Where do the nuts come into the recipe? And what is the recipe for the butter?

RedheadWriter
12-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello. The nuts come into play with the butter. BUtter, pineapple juice and macadamia nuts. We also thought of using pineaplle pulp in the mixture but didn't do that this time. We left the nuts coarse in the butter.

Use cooking spray or a light egg wash on top of the bread. I am by no means a baker, but this is what he told me.
Happy baking! With the big storm we are getting today and tomorrow maybe we can all make some kona bread!