PDA

View Full Version : AK lodge

IrishMickey
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
We are staying at the AK for the first time in Jan for 5 days. Any hints, good things, bad things. I told my DH that this was going to be too much and we will never be able to stay at the Value resorts again... thanks:mickey:

faline
12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
We had a lovely visit there in October. We rarely had to wait for a bus so transportation was quick and efficient.

Make sure to spend some time enjoying your resort. If you're in a savannah view room, it's hard to leave "your animals" behind to start your day in the parks! If not in a savannah view room, there are plenty of public balcony areas where you can view the animals.

Check with the front desk for any in-resort happenings. There are things like stories around the outside fire pit and music parades which begin in the shop.

They would often have drums set up in the waiting area outside Boma to help entertain fidgety youngsters.

It's a great resort!

kdsjjb
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
You are so right, IrishMickey!

After 5 family stays in value resorts DW and I took an adults only trip in September and decided to splurge and treat ourselves to the WL.

WOW, the difference is astounding! I was alway one of those "the resort doesn't matter, because we spend all of our time in the parks" kind of guys. But the atmosphere is just SO different.

I don't think we will ever want to do value again.

We are starting to plan our next family trip now, and we may just have to splurge again.

vicster
12-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Ditto on getting spoiled. After always staying at WL we stayed at a moderate this past September. While CBR was nice it just wasn't the same as staying at WL. I'll be back at WL next year.

azdisneymom
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hints, mmmm. I would ask for a view of Arusha Rock on the Zebra Trail. You get to see so many animals. The construction is off the Kudu Trail so you won't see that. The Zebra Trail is also the side closest to the pool, laundry and all the dining. I loved our room on the 2nd floor because we felt like the animals were right outside our window, instead of us looking down on them. Have fun!

IrishMickey
12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the great tips. The trip is our kids Christmas present and we are having a hard time not talking to them about it and trying to plan with out them around. They will have a blast at this lodge and I can't wait to get there. Thanks again, Irish Mickey and Family :mickey:

mickeefan
12-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I have never stayed at AKL, but I fully agree that it is going to spoil you. We had always stayed at CBR until they moved us due to their making roof repairs.
We were hooked and have never gone back even though we always enjoyed CBR.

Tigerinvestigator
12-12-2007, 11:34 PM
We absolutely love the AKL and it is gorgeous. Our favorite view is actually a water view of the oasis (pool). I would compare it to the courtyard view at the WL. We prefer it to the Savanna view. The last two times we have paid for the standard and been upgraded to the water view. Don't forget the Zebra Domes. We love hanging around the firepits at night, and watching the animals with the night vision goggles.:thumbsup:

Tigger&Stitch
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
We stayed there a couple of years ago and like it well enough - seeing the animals outside your window in the mornings and evenings was really cool. We regret that we didn't take advantage of the games/tours/events at the Lodge, so I encourage you not to miss them!

One big tip: stay away from Room #5554 and the rooms beneath it/around it. We had asked for a view, and the view from that room was of...dirt. Dirt and a pen. We thought the pen was for animals, but later found out it was where guests go in case there is ever a fire!

Our next room - # 5529 - was quite nice.