PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a Grand Cayman excursion!

Tinkermom
12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
We cruise in February on the 7 night Western. This is our first cruise and my kids (DD6, DD11, DD13) do not know this yet. :secret: We are going to surprise them the day before we leave on the cruise (we will be at WDW).

DH and I are trying to decide on our excursions and I am finding it difficult without getting any input from the kids. We are going to do Key West on our own and in Cozumel we are doing the Xcaret excursion.

I am having trouble deciding on what to do in Grand Cayman. We have thought about renting a car and tooling around on our own but decided not to try this on our first cruise. I think we are leaning toward the Stingray City snorkeling but I am worried about what the kids will think. They all love to snorkel but I do not want them to be afraid of the stingrays.

A friend of mine went on a different cruiseline and said they did an excursion called a Sea Spy. She described it as a motorized paddleboat that you lay on on your belly. It has a glass viewing window and you can motor around looking at the fish. I think DD6 would love this since she cannot get the hang of breathing through the snorkel. She just holds her breath and goes under water with her mask. :) I love the sound of this Sea Spy but do not know where to find this. Anyone ever heard of it????

I would love to hear of your excursions in GC and what you liked and did not like.

RobWreck
12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, if you can wait 'till early January, I can give you an opinion about the Sea Trek 'helmet diving' and the submarine excursion... as well as a preview of the xcarat echo-archeological park. :thumbsup:
Rob

bwk99
12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I actually went this past summer. The submarine excursion was good. We also went to 7 mile beach, which was nice.

I heard people say Stingray City was really cool.

I spoke to about a dozen people that went to Hell, and nobody had a good thing to say about that excursion.

Tinkermom
12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I spoke to about a dozen people that went to Hell, and nobody had a good thing to say about that excursion.

Ok, that just sounds too funny!:rotfl:

Tinkermom
12-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, if you can wait 'till early January, I can give you an opinion about the Sea Trek 'helmet diving' and the submarine excursion... as well as a preview of the xcarat echo-archeological park. :thumbsup:
Rob

Oh that sounds awesome! I would love to hear how it all went for you, especially Xcaret! I found an awesome trip report with photos of Xcaret on another website. It looks just BEAUTIFUL! Let me know if you would like me to PM you the link.

vicster
12-07-2007, 11:59 AM
We swam with the Stingrays in Stingray City and it was really awsome. Also went to Hell which I could've done without. Although I did send postcards from Hell which got a good laugh. Also, 7-mile beach is cool. Enjoy!!!

brdavis
12-17-2007, 11:25 AM
My DS (8) & I did a snorkel excursion: two stops, one over the wreck of the (Callie?) and one over a reef, both very close to the landing. He'd never snorkeled before, so throwing him off the back of a boat into 30' of water might have been an issue, but it wasn't - having working snorkel equipment was (his had a bad seal in the snorkel itself, and getting fins to stay on him was tough). He still loved it, and I had a wonderful time trying to "touch sand" in 30' of water, etc. The wreck was great, but crowded with other tours. The day we were there rough seas close Stingray City to just about every tour company, but that's simply a gamble. My DW & two DD did the "submersible", and absolutely loved it, so I'd recommend both of those.

Later we did the dolphin encounter. This was the only excursion we booked outside of Disney, as we wanted the whole experience... and it was wonderful. Expensive, but I will probably never again be pushed clear out of the water by two dolphins... and watching my DS do it was indescribable.

--
Brian Davis