PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef Opinions

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
:mickey: I have a thread earlier on about where to eat one of my meals but must confess, I looked on another website and was shocked to see such negative reviews about Coral Reef. My uncle said he ate at Coral Reef years ago and was one of the best meals he ever at anywhere. Lots of people in the past have raved about it, but it seems lately the reviews are going down hill. Should I count this one out or take a chance? I know tastes vary, but on that site, it was like 4 out 5 saying it was bad. :confused:

ginger19
12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I would not go back to Coral Reef. My DH's dish was very good and mine was inedible. The desserts were both excellent.

The bigger issue that I had was that the service was extremely poor. We were in there for over 2 hours and it was very noisy. We also disliked having to climb over people on the floor of the waiting area to get the rest rooms. Because the service is so slow, the waiting tends to pack with people including children who are not to happy to be waiting so long.
If you can get a very slow time it may work for you but I suggest you avoid the shrimp.

ldn324
12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
We ate at Coral Reef last Monday 11/26 and loved it. Our server, Tony, was wonderful and even took time to give us lots of advice on upcoming activities (it was our first day at WDW). We loved the food and the service and would definitely go back again. We didn't sit next to the aquarium, but it is set up so you can see it from almost any seat.

SignguyTom
12-06-2007, 11:53 AM
DW and I are planning our 15th Anniversary dinner there in May. We are both looking forward to it! :party:

chicade88
12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, I can just tell you our experience. It was extremely loud, lots of children screaming (and this was a 6 p.m. dinner) and we saw our server a grand total of 4 times. However, it was the BEST food by far that we had on our entire trip and it was so cool to see inside the tank (especially when the divers came by!). We have chosen not to return for our upcoming trip because of the noise issue but it was a great place to go once. If noisy places don't bother you (really noisy, we had to lean in to hear one another), then you'll be fine!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-06-2007, 12:13 PM
What did everyone order?

Tygger7
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Every time we've ever eaten at Coral Reef, we've had early dinner reservations..usually the first ones of the evening (around 5pm). We've never had any problems with noise, or the food. Last time we were there, my DD ordered crab cakes, which she didn't like, but there was nothing wrong with them...just her personal taste. Again, maybe because we've been there early, we've always had great service and food.

CzepielCrew
12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I am suprised at some of the reviews too. I was there on November 24th, and our reservation was for 8:20 at night. We arrived early at 8:00 and were taken in within 2 minutes. There were only 2 other parties in the waiting area. I guess it depends on what season you go and what time. The food was very good and very filling. Something for everyone. I have no complaints except that it was not so easy to walk after the meal. :blush:

ThanxForNoticin
12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
It's interesting - out of all the Disney restaurants, Coral Reef often seems to have the biggest range of experiences among guests. Personally, we have had 3 bad experiences over the years (some dealing with food and some dealing with service) and we will never go back again. In fact, it's the only restaurant at Disney that we just cross off our list when planning a future trip. But we have close friends who will never miss it when they go. So even though we don't care for it, I would suggest that if you are interested in trying it, you should go and give it a try yourself. I hope you enjoy it.

Disney Doll
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
We didn't have a good experience and therefore do not plan to go back, but there are plenty of people who seem to really like it. I say if you've never been give it a try. Everyone's taste is different. We thought the food was okay, but not great. For the price I expected it to be a little better. We also had lousy service- slow and not very friendly. Maybe we just caught them on a bad night, but there are so many other great dining choices at WDW that we just opt to skip this one from now on.

BriarRose0708
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Aside from maybe 2 or 3 restaurants at Disney, you will read a wide range of reviews about any eatery whether it be here on INTERCOT or travel book, etc. It all depends on the server, time of day, season, the chef and the patron.

I can only speak from my experience. I have been to Coral Reef once for lunch in October and loved it. I think it's my favorite dining experience so far. We had an early lunch reservation (11:30). There were only a handful of parties in the dining room at that time, but as it got later into the lunch hour it did get quite noisy. This is because the huge glass aquarium windows don't absorb sound and almost magnifies it. I'd suggest going for an early lunch or late dinner if you want to avoid the noise.

Our food was excellent. I had the blackened catfish with pepperjack grits :cloud9: for a lunch portion it was big, and I could only eat a few bites of the Chocolate Wave I had for dessert. Our server was fantastic, very attentive and brought many drink refills without having to be asked. I am going back for lunch on my next trip!

I hope you try it and take all reviews (negative and positive) with a grain of salt. If you end up having a poor experience take a minute to leave a comment card or note with the manager. If you end up having a wonderful meal, tell them as well. Enjoy!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
We ate there for dinner 2 wks ago after my DD and DH did the aqua seas tour and were swimming in the tank! That was terrific. It was an absolutely wonderful meal, and time. Our server, David was attentive and involved. The food, delicious! My DH and myself and my DS all had the lobster bisque. We all loved it. I had the cajun catfish with pepperjack grits and LOVED it. My DH loved his Mahi mahi. My kids all had kid meals and we all had the creme brulee. One of my favorite meals this trip! We did eat there once before in 2004 for lunch and it was just ok. This time it was swell! I recommend it highly!

JerseyMouse
12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
DW and I ate there November 2006 for lunch...I had a BBQ Salmon sandwhich that was quite good, DW had some kind of seafood casserole that she didn't care for.

Service was OK, but nothing about the place screamed return trip to us.

Zippy 1
12-06-2007, 03:26 PM
We were there on November 11th for a 6:50pm reservation. We arrived early and were seated within 5 minutes. We even got a table by the tank. Our waitress was great. She helped us with meal and drink decissions. When my daughters shrimp cocktail arrived with the sauce on top our waitress was great in bringing her one with out sauce. It was very busy in the restuarant. We had a couple little boys who came to squeeze in behind my husband to see the tank up close but they were very well behaved and did not bother us at all. DD had crab legs - the portion was large and she gave it her all to eat it. (she shared a couple with mom and dad). We had the chocolate wave for desert. We have decided we will go back again but only if on the dining plan. It would be a very expensive meal OP ($170.47 plus drinks at $20.54). More than we can spend on one meal when on vacation.

ldn324
12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
What did everyone order?

Here's what we had last Monday, 11/26/07:

Me: Seafood cakes with remoulade (sp?) sauce, blackened catfish (I don't normally like blackened but figured I'd try) with pepper jack grits, butterscotch brulee

DH: Braised BBQ beef and polenta, NY strip steak, chocolate wave

We thought everything we had was very tasty.

TBY2225
12-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Good food, Bad service! It took us 2 and a half hours for dinner. Although I love the DDP, the quality seems to have really gone down as well as the reviews since it has come along!

grego77
12-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I LOVE Coral Reef. I personally have ALWAYS had amazing service, and the food is incomparable to any other WDW restaurant I've been to. It's a MUST-DO in my book. You'll love it!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-06-2007, 04:10 PM
:D Thanks for all the help. There are a lot more positives here than that other site.

pox24
12-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Over priced for what you get. Great atmosphere, but that's it.

disneycouple2004
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
We have dined here many times...always good.
nothing negitive about the place at all for us :thumbsup:

crazeedizneefinatic
12-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I have to agree that we liked it as well. I don't remember the noise levels being out of control but we sat in a rounded booth not a table. The booth made our meal more private, I think, it was a nice change of pace. Last trip was our first experience with sit down meals, we were on the free dining plan. I have to say this place was our favorite. The steak was excellent much much much better than Le Cellier which gets rave reviews. I would say try it. We all have to stop and think how many people are served at WDW restaurants every day, busy time or not. In the restaurants we ate in last trip I can say none were even close to what you would expect if dining at home at prices like you pay there. Yes, Disney restaurants are good, some better but any one is prone to a bad night. I think you should try it, the aquarium alone is worth a look. Good luck choosing and if you dine their I hope its delicious!

GrmGrninGost
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
We have dined at the Coral Reef once in each of our last two vacations. In my opinion, it was the best meal we had during both trips. I highly recommend it! :mickey:

January-2007
12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
We had dinner at the Coral Reef a few months ago. The food was wonderful but the atmosphere was terrible. It was the loudest restaurant we've ever been to, and we went to a lot of character meals on our trip! Some people love it and some people not so much, but everybody definately has a different experience there. If you go you'll know for yourself. Have fun planning!

brown1442
12-10-2007, 09:54 PM
We just ate there this past Friday and really didn't have that great of an experience to be honest. The people were TERRIBLY rude and the wait was FOREVER (40 minutes past our ADR on top of getting there 30 minutes early... so over an hour total). The food was okay... but honestly we had better food at Konas, Cali Grill, and Teppan Edo earlier in the week. The kids did love the fish tank though.

LandFan
12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
We just ate there two weeks ago and had our best meal ever! The blackened catfish with cheese grits and smoked tomato compote was amazing!! I am now going to see if I can get the recipe. The view was great to. We will definitely go back next time!

laward32
12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
We ate there Nov 1, out last night in the world. We had 7:20 rezzies, we tried to get in early but they said they were completely booked. When we did check in at 7:15 we were seated by 7:20. The service was slow and it was very noisy. The good thing is there is not a bad seat in the restaurant to see the tank. That was awesome. I thought the food was great. My dad and I got the NY strip, awesome. My mom got some shrimp pasta, which she loved. My girls got grilled chicken and mahi mahi, which they both liked. We would probably go back if on the DP, but I wouldn't pay oop for it again. :mickey:

MsMin
12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
:D Thanks for all the help. There are a lot more positives here than that other site.

Sometimes you get a little "group think" going on. Ppl start w/ the negative and some are afraid to state their opinion that may be opposite.
We have gone twice in Dec. 05 and Dec. 06 and had great meals both times. I didn't notice the noise but sometimes I don't listen even when my own kids talk:blush:
I had the Talapia the first year which was good but I'm not a fan of and my kids had the Talapia, filet (no longer on the menu) and Mahi Mahi (she got the sauce on the side and was glad she did) along w/ the lobster bisque shrimp cocktail and chocolate wave.
Last year there were 7 of us and we had the NY strip (excellent) Tuna, and Mahi Mahi. Everyone had a great time and great service.
In 05 our waiter's name was Reilly and he was awesome.

#1donaldfan
12-11-2007, 12:35 PM
For us, our last visit was, again, without CR.....We let some of the increasing negative posts dissuade us.....I am going to go this year for sure....if I have to eat alone. I'd say you have to try everything at least once, then you know for sure, "for yourself" .......:thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Well......I haven't been there,...but I have an ADR for January.

I, too, have heard lots of bad things....and....lots of good things.

So, I'm going to look at it like this:

Sometimes, when I go to McDonalds, they make my Big Mac really good. Other times, I get a server who is 16 and doesn't care if I'm there or not, and my Big Mac has 1 pickle, and hardly any lettuce.

You get what I mean. All service and food depends on the day. (in my opinion).....so try it for yourself. If you don't try it, you'll probably be saying ...."I wish I had tried Coral Reef".

Good luck ...and have a Great time!!!!

GINNY69
12-11-2007, 08:48 PM
My family and I ate there and the atmosphere was very nice. We had a table right next to the aquariam , the food was good but the portions were rather small and if you are a big eater you may be disappointed. The desserts were very very very good.. The service was very good and attentive..

hope that helps..

crazykids
12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
My family & I ate there on our last trip in Sept 2007 - the food was delicious! There were a lot of small kids there, but that worked out for us because we have 3 of our own. I had the Land & Sea, Crab legs, & the Baileys & Jack dessert & everything was fantastic. The server wasn't that great, only saw him a few times that night, but we're going back this February because of the food!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-12-2007, 09:38 AM
:blush: I don't think I would let the noise be a factor for me because if you're expecting quiet, Disney's not really the place to be....its supposed to be loud and fun. I was more concerned with the food and service...and I think everyone's convinced me that its something I need to go out on a limb and try. Thanks for all the help.

Here we go again...
12-12-2007, 10:47 AM
In 1 year we went to Coral Reef 2 times.
The first time was amazing. The food was delicious, cooked to perfection, and the service was just as good.

The second time was terrible. The menu had changed so my DD's favorite prime rib was no longer on the menu. All of our steaks were over cooked and tough. The service was some of the worst we have ever experienced.

So, our opinion?
There are good days and bad days. We loved the first time so much that if we thought we could get that kind of food again we would be there in a second. I am not sure how I feel about it...

SBETigg
12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I have been to Coral Reef once, over six years ago, and it was so terrible we will never go back. Actually, I would go back and give it another shot, but my DH absolutely refuses. The food and service was abyssmal. Some of the worst we've ever had. It may be different now but with so many great options at WDW, there has been no need to repeat it.

luvdiznee
12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
We went there for lunch and can't wait to go for dinner. Especially to bring new family members who have never been there. :mickey:

reesemurphy
12-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi,

We just returned from our trip and we ate at Coral Reef last Tuesday. It was one of the best meals I have eaten. Their were six in my party, 3 adults and 3 children (ages 10, 11, 12) and we all ate from the adult menu.

Appetizers: Land and Sea - Shrimp and Beef - excellent
Lobster Soup - divine
Ceaser Salad - Large leaf lettuce (kind of plain)

Entrees: Catfish, Porkchops, Steak - All fabulous - really loved the potatoes and the Cheese Grits

Deserts - TO DIE FOR! Chocolate Wave - scrumptious, Butterscotch Creme Brulee - creamy and delicious, and my absolute favorite - the Jack Daniels and Baileys Mousse - probably the best desert I have ever eaten...cudos to the pastry chef!

Our service was good - but a bit "rehearsed".
The restaurant is a bit loud with alot of kids, but not bothersome.

Overall, we LOVED it!

The Murphy's:thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Reese....glad you had a good meal at Coral Reef. Like I said in my previous post...I've heard good and bad things. But, I'll give it a shot!!!!!!

The Surf and Turf sounds really good!