PDA

View Full Version : Too old for a stroller?

CosmicRay
12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
We are leaving for WDW tomorrow and I was talking to a friend. She asked me if I was going to rent a stroller for my kids. I thought "my kids are 5 and 6 I think they are too old for that". She said they rented a stroller for their son who's 6 and even his cousin age 7 sat in the stroller. She said "you'll be so happy you got one! The kids get so tired". Have you seen kids in the strollers that old? .What do y'all think?

Christine
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
We just play it by ear. My daughter has ridden in one, and she just turned 8. If it is going to be a LONG day, lots of walking (EPCOT), if she didn't sleep well the night before, or if it is rainy, etc, then yeah, I'll get one. We also use it to put our camera bag in (DH's camera bag is bigger than my suitcase!)

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks, if they think she is too old, looks silly, etc. it makes no difference to me. I want her to be comfortable, and I sure as heck don't want to carry her! :D

I will say that our last trip (March) she did the whole trip without need for a stroller. I think as she's gotten older/stronger, her endurance and ability has increased. She did quite well with a park bench stop here and there!

Have fun, and do what you need to do! :thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Only you know your kids, but I will say that it is a LOT of walking that many kids are not prepared for.

We shed our stroller with DS was four, but we go alot and he was only "whiney" one night.

If you know your kids may not be able to handle walking for several hours a day -- I recommend taking/renting a stroller for them, you'll be happier for doing so!! Even if you take a couple umbrella strollers and leave them in your room, you have the option of going back for a rest in the afternoon and then putting them in the stroller for the eveing (we did this one trip and used the stroller ONE night, that was it, but we had it to use!!).

Have fun!!:blush:

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
We rented a stroller for our first trip, when DD was just 6. She didn't use it as much as we expected, but there were times when she was just wiped and it was nice to have...allowed us to keep going without a whiney kid in tow.

mickey&missy
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Your the best judge of your children.If you think they'll need it, by all means go for it! If your not sure play it by ear and go day to day.

When we go in March DD will turn 7 on our first full day and our older DS will be 5. We also have baby who will be nine months at the time. We are going to rent a double for the older 2 and take the babies stroller. I've thought about it a lot. DD may never sit in it except to have a comfier place to sit during parades etc. DS 5 tends to be a little lazier and is so amazed by everything I' m affraid we'll lose him if we don't have one. I truthfully don't think they'll fit in it together, my kids are tall and DD is all legs. But for them it will be better to have the bigger one. I didn't want us to be pushing 2 strollers through the parks but, I think we'll be better off!

Good luck, have a great trip!!

CosmicRay
12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, I think we will like you all said, play it by ear, but I bet we will get a double stroller some days!

thrillme
12-06-2007, 05:01 PM
When my DS was that age...I rented a stroller when he said he was tired and I still had the energy to push through. I did this through 7 maybe 8. I didn't rent one everyday and most of the time I rented it more towards the evening hours. There were PLENTY available because so many people were cashing out. I don't know what time you're going but I did this in Mid-July and it worked out fine.

Play it by ear.

Figgyluv03
12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
When we were young, my brothers were both at that age, well, one was four the other was six, and my parents were sure glad they got the stoller 'cause by the end of the day, they were both passed out in it.

ILoveLegos
12-07-2007, 03:23 PM
No, a 7 year old won't look silly in a stroller - in Disney World I've seen adults in strollers! I think that's taking the being a "kid" thing a little far, I'd perfer a wheel chair if I were in the situation, but to each his own.
Anywho, WDW involves a lot of walking. When I took my 4 year-old niece she only used the stroller the first day, then refused one each day thereafter. So each evening, I had to carry that 35 lb kid back to the resort - it helped me build bigger muscles I guess. Besides a rental stroller is of no use on the "trip" to the resort. I would have welcomed an umbrella stroller for those times though. <smile>.

playdead88
12-07-2007, 08:48 PM
we love our stroller - my daughter will be seven this year and she mostly uses it when we are standing in one place for a while like at a parade or when eating icecream on the go - ours is the joovy caboose and that thing is awesome - there is a seat on the back that i sat in last year and watched fireworks from! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-07-2007, 09:06 PM
I too was going to say that I saw adults in the strollers.
My nephew was 4 1/2 when we went in Sept and we were sure glad to have that stroller for him.

wire0monkey
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
In September, we only took one stroller for a 5 year old and 2.5 year old. We ended up carrying the 2.5 year old a lot, so the five year old could ride. He got really tired.

This is after we did a whole summer of "training for Disney" with the kids. (We went for nature walks of 2 miles or more twice a week.)

brownie
12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Our kids are used to walking, so at 5-6 yrs. old we didn't use strollers. You can always find a bench or an attraction that involves sitting if they need a rest.

CaraMiaO3
12-13-2007, 01:58 PM
My son , who turned 6 yrs old this week, used the rented double stroller at WDW the weekend before his birthday. There is no way that neither my husband or myself wanted to have to carry an exhausted 60 pound child around at night...lol As long as my son's little behind fits in the stroller...we will rent it. Also, it is nice to have a place to put the backpack or camera bag.

Actually, we did not rent one the first day. We didnt get to Orlando until 5pm. Because we got a late start at Epcot we didnt think it was worth it to pay for a stroller for just 4 or 5 hours. The second day we did rent the stroller. DS walked some...strolled some. It was fine.

SignguyTom
12-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I'd much rather see kids that age in a stroller than pushing them through crowded parks. My DD14 was run into several times by a little kid pushing a stroller. The mom thought is was cute. I thought it was irresponsible parenting.

CaraMiaO3
12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I'd much rather see kids that age in a stroller than pushing them through crowded parks. My DD14 was run into several times by a little kid pushing a stroller. The mom thought is was cute. I thought it was irresponsible parenting.

Dont ya just hate those people that cant push a stroller responsibly? The friday night at Epcot when my son was walking he had at least 2 or 3 adults run into his little ankles with a stroller. I then told him if it happened again to let me know right away and that he also was allowed to turn around and tell them to watch where they are going.

declansdad
12-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Last summer we used one at Epcot for our ds(6). In all the other parks, he walked.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-14-2007, 01:45 PM
:secret: When my son was 5 he sat in a stroller and it helped from wearing him out too much. Of course, when we got home all his clothes were too small but we knew why when we got pictures back. In almost every picture there he was sitting in that stroller eating icecream..:ack:

scootch713
12-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I know you are probably back by now... but I just pushed my 5 1/2 and EIGHT year old in a double stroller for a whole week. They glide so easily. I was surprised how much my 8 year old got in too... but it worked out FANTASTIC for us!

The only thing about running into people, I did several times. It is hard as you can't see the front of the stroller and people stop so quickly and it is impossible not to hit someone some of the time. We were in line for Fantasmic and it was terrible. My kids were actually getting scared in the stroller as it was so, so crowded. I wanted to just take them out and abandon the stroller, but there was no where to put it half way up that ramp. One lady just screamed at me for bumping into her. It was just a madhouse going in there, people just crammed on top of each other and I felt badly that it happened, but it surely was not intentional. My neice had the same problems with her scooter.... as much as she tried to stop, when someone just halts in front of you unexpectedly, there are bound to be times you might bump into them.

MickeyChick
12-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm going at the end of January with a 2 year old and a 4 year old and I've been pondering the stroller question a lot myself.

I'm thinking of buying a sit-and-stand stroller so my little one can be tied down and my four year old can ride if he's tired and wants to.

Has anyone used this type of stroller?