PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day Parade ABC Special [Merged Threads]

Carol
12-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Disney Parks “Dream” Up Star-Studded Spectacular for 24th Annual Christmas Day Parade Holiday Special on ABC-TV Dec. 25

:santa3: :santa3: :santa3:

Stars scheduled to appear in Emmy Award-winning special include Jessica Simpson, Miley Cyrus, Patti LaBelle, Josh Groban, cast from "High School Musical 2," favorites from "Dancing with the Stars," The Jonas Bros., Menudo, Katharine McPhee, Harlem Gospel Choir, and more!

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. -- This winter, cozy up and get ready for the holidays -- Disney style -- as Disney Parks prepares to shine brighter than ever when many of today's biggest stars gather on both coasts for the 24th annual "Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade." On Dec. 25, hosts Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa once again will lead the Emmy Award-winning holiday special from Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., and Ryan Seacrest will again host from Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif.

The special will air Dec. 25, 10 a.m. Eastern and 9 a.m. Central, Mountain and Pacific times on ABC-TV, and will be broadcast in HD for the first time.

The "Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade" is sure to sparkle as it glides down Main Street U.S.A. at the Magic Kingdom park in Florida and Disneyland park in California to a brand-new musical score.

In addition to the celebrity performances and appearances, this year, viewers will celebrate Christmas morning with "Enchanting" new Disney characters, plundering pirates, some of Disney's favorite holiday traditions and awe-inspiring floats -- all sprinkled with pixie dust.

Stars Shine on Christmas Morning

Stars from stage, screen and song will shine throughout the two-hour special, with a Christmas morning entertainment lineup for the entire family. Featured performances include (talent subject to change):

Kicking off the special will be a blockbuster performance from the hit show "Dancing With The Stars." Newly crowned champion Helio Castroneves, Sabrina Bryan, Joey Fatone and Drew Lachey with their professional dance partners Julianne Hough, Mark Ballas, Kym Johnson and Cheryl Burke will perform an original holiday dance number choreographed by "Dancing With The Stars" dancer Tony Dovolani and sung by Grammy Award-winning Latin singer Jon Secada.

America's hottest entertainment sensation, Miley Cyrus, the multi-talented performer and star of Disney Channel's popular series "Hannah Montana," will sing the energetic, seasonal favorite "All I Want for Christmas is You."

Stars from Disney Channel's blockbusters "High School Musical" and "High School Musical 2" -- Vanessa Hudgens, Corbin Bleu, Monique Coleman and Ashley Tisdale -- will give a holiday twist to one of the popular tunes from "High School Musical 2." The group performs a customized version of the hit song "What Time Is It?" and answers the song title's question with a new musical answer, "It's Christmas Time!"

Internationally renowned vocalist Josh Groban will perform the melodic holiday classic "Silent Night" from his new Christmas CD, "Noel."

Songstress and R&B legend Patti LaBelle, who recently released her newest CD, "Miss Patti's Christmas," will perform "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Multi-platinum-selling singer-songwriter Jessica Simpson will bring the curtain down on this year's special with a moving rendition of the Christmas classic, "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." Joining Simpson will be the world-famous, New York-based Harlem Gospel Choir that has performed for Nelson Mandela and the late Pope John Paul II.

One of the hottest musical trios performing today, sibling pop-rockers the Jonas Brothers, sing one of their latest tunes, a seasonal pop-rock song titled "Girl of My Dreams."

Latin superstar sensation Menudo will debut their version of the holiday favorite "This Christmas."

"American Idol" sweetheart Katharine McPhee will perform a Disney Princess-inspired number, singing a medley of some of Disney's classic tunes.

Power Rangers, Potato Heads & Princesses, Oh My! The Parade Rolls On

Disney's newest princess, lovely lady Giselle from the new Walt Disney Pictures smash-hit film, "Enchanted," will make her first small-screen appearance during the special as she takes center stage along with Disney's most treasured characters including: Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Pluto, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Belle, Ariel and Jasmine. Disney's characters will be decked out in their holiday best and joined by gingerbread men, snowmen, toy soldiers and reindeer throughout the show.

Traveling down Main Street U.S.A. at both Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, the parade will introduce several new floats this year, including:

The "Rat Pack" is back at Disneyland Resort, with a "Ratatouille" float spicing up the day. The float, inspired by this summer's Disney-Pixar hit animated film, features wanna-be chef Rémy and his Parisian pals.

A "Toy Story" float featuring Disney-Pixar pals Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jesse and their 'toon pals having a joyful -- and toyful -- holiday celebration.

Some of the other highlighted parade floats featured during the bi-coastal holiday celebration:

A Christmas tree float with holiday hosts Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse.

Disney Parks' famous Toy Soldiers will march in the Toyland March.

Disney-Pixar's "Cars" will be featured, with gear-jamming good times from the film's car stars, Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater.

Aladdin and Jasmine make their way in the procession on horseback.

Popular stars from Playhouse Disney, "Monster's Inc." and the Power Rangers make special holiday appearances.

A Royal Candlelight Ball is featured, including Snow White, Prince Charming, Sleeping Beauty, Prince Phillip, Mulan and Shang.

The Seven Dwarfs trade in their usual diamond mine duties for a very special, jeweled holiday tree float.

Closing the parade portion of the program is the big guy himself, Santa Claus, and his trusty reindeer. :sleigh:

See More in HD -- for the First Time!

Broadcast in HD and Surround Sound for the first time, the 24th annual "Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade" airs on ABC Christmas Day. The show will also be broadcast in English and Spanish (SAP).

:santa2: :elf:

tadshome
12-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Can you please tell me if there are any channels that will broadcast this in the UK? Me and my Disneymad family would :heart: to see it:mickey:

kakn7294
12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Can't wait! It's my favorite holiday tradition. We've been invited to FIL's for a Christmas Day brunch but I'm not going anywhere until the parade is over. I don't care if it annoys Debbie - I don't want to go anyway!

Not2Loud
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Sounds like fun!!

DADx3
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know when they will film this? Or is it filmed live that day?

:mickey:

MartyS
12-06-2007, 12:48 PM
It was all shot last weekend. At least I got to hear some of it and saw a few pics from my DD's cell phone.

scottgr
12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Cool, I can't wait to see it ! :santa:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-06-2007, 05:26 PM
We saw bits of Patti Labelle and Dancing with the stars being shot on the Castle forestage.

It's kind of an odd feeling. Up until our last visit in 2005 I thought the parade was filmed live, but when we entered the MK and didn't see the tree in it's usual spot we learned it was because of the filming of the Christmas Day show. So that illusion was shattered.

Watching them shoot some of the scenes, while neet to see the stars, again kind of shatters the magic. You don't realize how long it takes to film a 5 minute segment. And they were running late so we didn't bother to hang round the extra hours to see Katherine MacPhee or Jessica Simpson. You basically stand around quite a bit while the director shoots and reshoots and tells you what to do. Lots of down time, set changes. It was strange, we came from behind the castle where we saw them store all the stage props, so when Patti left they rolled in a new stage, and I'm sure they did the same for all the others. Again, all this takes time.

The parade is filmed seperate from the stage shows.

I do look forward to seeing whether or not we made it on tv and how it turned out.
:party:

dolphinmickey9170
12-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I can't wait to watch it. I usually tape it, but a few years, ABC didn't show it. I emailed the production manager last year and begged them to show it. I taped it, then my tape ran out before it was finished. Maybe I'll have better luck this year.:mickey:

caryrae
12-07-2007, 10:43 AM
It should look really nice this time since they said it was shot in Hi Def.

faline
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Carol! I always look forward to watching this on Christmas morning! I still remember the year they didn't show it until the middle of the night sometime and I totally missed it! Hopefully, they won't do anything like that this year!

Jasper
12-07-2007, 03:49 PM
So have any of you actually met Regis or Kelly in person? If you have are they as down to earth and as personable as they seem to be on the air? I don't know if it is all an act or not but they just both seem like they would be so neat to just spend time around.

ISLE39
12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I was there for the taping. the first day was wet and everything was late. i only could stay for patti labelle and dancing with teh stars. missed jessica simpson and katherine mcphee. the next day they seemed to be running late with the parade portion of it. i cantw ait to see teh finished product. as for regis and kelly you coudl barely see them up there. when i was there in 2005 i scored vip area and i saw everyone up close it was awesome.

Crystal Palace
12-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Yay!! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see this.:mickey:

Disney-Nut
12-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I saw somewhere that the parade will be showing at 10 am eastern time on dec 25th can anyone confirm???

AwPhooey
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
My cable company's DVR lists the parade at that time, so I'm guessing that's correct.

Edit:
ABC's web site (http://abc.go.com/specials/wdwxmasparade2006.html) confirms that it is scheduled for 10 a.m.

Speedy1998
12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
So is any one else going to watch the Very Merry Christmas infomercial... opps I mean parade on ABC Christmas morning?

TheRustyScupper
12-22-2007, 12:36 PM
So is any one else going to watch the Very Merry Christmas infomercial... opps I mean parade on ABC Christmas morning?

1) I usually try to "channel surf" in-and-out of the infomercial.
2) There is at least 15-20 minutes of non-commercial content.

kakn7294
12-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Watch it with the sound off except when the performers are on - it's much less of a giant vacation pitch that way! I love it and don't care that they are trying to get my vacation dollars because they are going to get them regardless of the propaganda surrounding the parade. I just like to zone out and pretend that I'm actually at WDW for the 2 hrs that the parade is on. I'll definitely be watching.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I used to get up every Christmas early just to watch the parade. I'll happily pass that up this year, thanks.

Although...I think I make an appearence in it, so I might have to get up and watch anyways. If I am, look for the Emporium CM sitting on the floor next to Cindy's costumes for the Fairy Godmother in Training!

artyboy
12-22-2007, 02:32 PM
I always watch it...can't help myself!

I'll be there the day after!!!

:mickey:

Melanie
12-24-2007, 07:59 PM
We actually got to watch this when it's supposed to air - Christmas morning! And they aired it in 1.5 hours, so not many commercials. :thumbsup:

:spoiler: ahead!

I really enjoyed the special this year. :santa3:

Lots of theme park footage (although nothing really new) from both Disneyland and WDW, and the sneak peek at Toy Story Mania was exciting. Kelly seemed a bit more subdued this year, and that's good in my opinion.

I liked the performances, although the Dancing with the Stars opening number was too short!!! The only performance I didn't really care for was unfortunately the big finale. Ugh - Jessica Simpson is not a natural performer. Her movements reminded me of Jack Sparrow. lol! And the lip-synching was horrendous.

Oh, and I'm not too keen (yet) on the new "interactive" characters. Goofy didn't bother me as much as Mickey and Minnie did. Maybe they'll grow on me.

pixiesmimi
12-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I have to say that I am really ticked this year with our ABC affiliate station. :mad: The TV guide says that parade is supposed to be on but they put the 700 Club on instead even though this program is also being aired on it's regular station, the same program. Why do they need to air it twice, especially in the place of a Christmas Special? I am so disappointed!:( I got up just to watch the parade, especially since it is just DH and I today. (Kids all came Sunday). Anyone else have this problem? My DGKs are very disappointed also.

NotaGeek
12-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Did anyone else notice the talking/blinking Mickey and Minnie costume heads??? I heard about this from a VERY good source about 2 years ago ... how cool if the Characters can actually interact with the guests!

COOL!

BronxTigger
12-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Okay the talking Mickey and Minnie at the beginning kind of creeped me out but was cool at the same time. I was like "Mickey's talking! Ahhh!" and my husband didn't really get it. He was like "yeah...and?"

Overall, I liked the parade. I like the infomercial aspect of it because I like to see WDW and Disneyland on tv. I also like the finale with the choir. Is that the same choir as the Candlelight Processional?

And Melanears...ours was 2 hours so we must have gotten more commercials here in the USA than you got in Japan. (lucky us!)

PirateLover
12-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Did anyone else notice the talking/blinking Mickey and Minnie costume heads??? I heard about this from a VERY good source about 2 years ago ... how cool if the Characters can actually interact with the guests!

COOL!

I originally saw this last year I think? Maybe 2 years now...During Mickey's Magic Show... it was the first time they used them. Now they use them in the shows in front of the Castle, but I don't remember them being used in the parade before. I like them:thumbsup:

cknorr28
12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I missed the parade this morning. We (my DW) was lucky enough to find a Wii and my kids have been playing it all morning. How was the parade?

JPL
12-25-2007, 01:19 PM
The talking Mickey and Minnie were just used for the parade taping they normally don't appear in the parades however can be seen in the Dream Along with Mickey show in front of the Castle:thumbsup:

Overall I enjoyed the parade:mickey:

Dixie Springs
12-25-2007, 01:59 PM
It's a tradition to watch for us (last year, on site!). To the non-Disney crowd, it's an ad - to us, it's pure entertainment and makes us want to return (even though we just got back!). It was sad to see that Menudo has risen again - the perpetual boy-band.:D

pixiesmimi
12-25-2007, 05:20 PM
I missed it too because our ABC affiliate station decided to air 700 Club instead. :( That was going to be the highlight of my day since DH and I were going to be alone today. I'm so sad to miss it.

Melanie
12-25-2007, 05:31 PM

This is what I was talking about, Michael. I thought it was a little creepy, to be honest. :unsure:

Speedy1998
12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Imagine the Disney Vacation video hosted by Regis and Kelly and you will just about have it. It was basically a 2 hour Christmas themed vacation video.

Polynesian Dweller
12-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Imagine the Disney Vacation video hosted by Regis and Kelly and you will just about have it. It was basically a 2 hour Christmas themed vacation video.
Good description. Wasn't that happy with this year's addition. They need to rethink this show and make it more Christmas-like.

dolphinmickey9170
12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I didn't really like it that much either. I prefer the christmas eve special they did a few years back with Frankie Muniz at the new Cali park, Wayne Brady and the bunch in the castle tracking Santa's arrival, etc. That was a much better show.

kbvette
12-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know if it will come on again? It totally slipped my mind to record it and now I am so mad at my self.

Strmchsr
12-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Does anyone know if it will come on again? It totally slipped my mind to record it and now I am so mad at my self.

I've never heard of them rerunning it, but watch next year's (or last year's) and you'll pretty much have seen it.

kakn7294
12-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I watched it. It was okay but nothing to write home about. It's basically the same every year for the past few years but it's Disney and I have to watch.

cknorr28
12-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I watched a show with Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel Christmas Eve that was about all of the decorations at WDW and DW at Christmas time. It was pretty cool. I do not remember ever seeing it before. But as my DW says my memory isn't what it used to be. :blush:

PirateLover
12-26-2007, 11:58 AM
:shrug: I like the parade the way it is. So what if it is an advertisement for Disney? It's the Disney World Christmas Day Parade!!! I happen to enjoy the little clips of the park as well as the actual parade (which was slightly different this year by the way and included the new parade music). What I could do without was Miley Cyrus's butchering of Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas (Is You). I had never heard her sing before and that song was horrible. It was completely rearranged to fit one octave. An 11 or so year old girl sang this song in Love Actually and stuck to the original arrangement. THAT sounded great! Also, anyone still care about Jessica Simpson?? But other than their choice for performances I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 hours plopped in front of the TV :D

Figgyluv03
12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I posted a thread on here about the characters actually moving their eyes and mouths. My mom was walking by my room, and I kept saying that Mickey and Minnie were scaring me, and I told her why and she's like, yeah, that would freak me out too. Oh, can someone please let Ryan Seacrest know that Snow White's prince, is not Prince Charming! Am I the only one who caught that. He's just called the Prince, right? No offical name?

gwfx1031
12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
We watched it last night after the crowds left our home. It was pretty good, but as many of you have said, it was the same thing as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. I thought they did less stuff on park attractions and devoted more time to the parade than in year's past. I agree with previous posts regarding Hannah Montanna's performance (and too-short skirt). I could have done without Jessica Simpson. How about giving Miley the finale? She is bringing the company in money left over right, not Jessica.

Marker
12-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I watched it, and I enjoyed it.

If I hadn't enjoyed watching, I probably would have chosen not to watch, instead of taking notes of all the things I didn't like.

Of course it's full of promotional stuff, should that really come as that much of a surprise? Is it really that much of an issue? Honestly, I enjoy the promotional stuff. Everyone gets excited to watch new vacation planning videos when they come out.... they're promotional stuff, so what's the big deal with the parade having promotional stuff in it. It's really no surprise that it's going to be there.

I wonder how much more some folks would enjoy watching, if they actually watched for enjoyment and not to look for things to complain about.

Again, I enjoyed it. And that's my opinion.

NotaGeek
12-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I watched it, and I enjoyed it.

If I hadn't enjoyed watching, I probably would have chosen not to watch, instead of taking notes of all the things I didn't like.

Of course it's full of promotional stuff, should that really come as that much of a surprise? Is it really that much of an issue? Honestly, I enjoy the promotional stuff. Everyone gets excited to watch new vacation planning videos when they come out.... they're promotional stuff, so what's the big deal with the parade having promotional stuff in it. It's really no surprise that it's going to be there.

I wonder how much more some folks would enjoy watching, if they actually watched for enjoyment and not to look for things to complain about.

Again, I enjoyed it. And that's my opinion.
The point of a discussion board is to discuss. There is always someone that has a different view ... and likes and dislikes are part of everyday Disney life. This is a forum for discussing the topics that are posted ... and sometimes there are aspects that aren't as pleasing to some ... it wouldn't be a very fun place for discussing if everyone just sat back and thought exactly the same way as everyone else ...

Marker
12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
The point of a discussion board is to discuss. There is always someone that has a different view ... and likes and dislikes are part of everyday Disney life. This is a forum for discussing the topics that are posted ... and sometimes there are aspects that aren't as pleasing to some ... it wouldn't be a very fun place for discussing if everyone just sat back and thought exactly the same way as everyone else ...

Indeed. And so I voice an opinion.

Perhaps I wasn't negative enough.

ChipnDaleGal
12-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Actually, I think your negativity got through just fine. The point is that you are just as entitled to state that you enjoyed the parade, as some others were in voicing their displeasure. All opinions are welcome, little jabs at each other are not.

Melanie
12-26-2007, 09:42 PM

It's fine and dandy that you loved the parade this year. I'm glad you did.

But the way I read it, subject matter aside, your opinion is that differing views from yours shouldn't be validated. We all have an opinion and have the right to express it here without personal attacks. We aren't all going to like the same things, and like Michael said, this is a discussion board where we talk about those differences.

I loved all the promotional stuff in the parade, and totally expected it. The parts I didn't care for were some of the performances, which were essentially part of the parade. If I don't like Jessica Simpson normally, I'm not going to like her just because she's part of something Disney. It's just not realistic.

Let's please stay on track here and discuss our thoughts on the Christmas Parade. All opinions welcome! :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Yes, Snow White's Prince is simply the Prince, or Snow Prince.

Prince Charming is Cinderella's. I went ballastic on that part...for about 15 minutes.

I also hated how they switched the parade floats and who/what was on them.

Clarabell, and Horace, Aurora, Snow White...not to mention all the characters were in their regular outfits, not Christmas gear (other than Mickey and Minnie).

I pointed out all of my friends like the Pooh, Hatter, elves, the soldiers and Mrs. Claus.

Meh, it's better live and even then, I still don't like it.

Figgyluv03
12-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, Snow White's Prince is simply the Prince, or Snow Prince.

Prince Charming is Cinderella's. I went ballastic on that part...for about 15 minutes.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed that!:thumbsup:

Lizzie
12-28-2007, 08:43 PM
We watched it. My 20 month old twin girls loved it. They were waving at the charachters and dancing along with the parade.

But I also taped the Samantha Brown special on the travel channel. That was just made in 2007 and I really enjoyed that.

But for the parade we had no voices for the first 15 minutes. And it always seems like Regis and Kelly are so annoyed to be there. I understanding needing hosts but if they could get some that really enjoy it it would be nice.

Though I always think Ryan Seacrest does a good job.

Main Street Jim
12-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Taped it - because I was working Christmas day.

Watched the first hour that night after I got home.

Got bored with it, went to bed.

Watched the second hour the next night.

And saw less of a parade and more of a commercial for YoMD and "stuff".

I only saw about 15 minutes worth calling a "parade", really. Only one or two performances from the guest (high school) marching bands. Didn't see much of the same parade that's been running daily here since last week. Too much stuff from the other parks - Stars and Motor Cars, Festival of the Lion King, Jingle Jungle, etc. The Disneyland portion seemed like it was more of a parade there, even though this was called "the Walt Disney WORLD Christmas Parade". Didn't care for the ending with Jessica Simpson, either; Santa Claus should be the end of the show...

cindymouse6
12-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I enjoyed the parade --- but I am a hard-core WDW fan --- and a DVC member -- was actually glad they showed footage of DVC --- the best thing I have ever purchased --- at least the money I spent on that didn't go down the toilet like my Janus mercury mutual fund did! Lost 80% of that one! AT least I have years of going to WDW left --- but I have always been bummed that the parade was taped --- didn't know that -- in 1998 -- spent 2 weeks there and had my place staked for the "live" parade to be told it was taped the day I had arrived and I didn't know it. And cast members seem to be hush about it and won't disclose when the performers are being taped. Anyone know how to find out that info for next year? Would love to have seen HSM cast and Miley Cyrus --- oh, and who let Mylie wear a sweater dress with boots and an aggressive cameraman with an upward angle when she spread her legs??? A little inappropriate for a 15y.o. My husband laughed all the way thru and stated there's no way in God'd green Earth he would let his 15 y.o. wear ONLY that on t.v. With Jamie Lynn preggers, was disappointed in her clothing choice... anyone else agree?:cool: