PDA

View Full Version : Need Lodging advice

chechas
12-05-2007, 10:39 AM
The last few years my daughter and I have made it a tradition to spend Christmas at Disney...we go for anywhere from 5-8 nights and we alwasy stay at the Poly.

Well I had everything booked for this year, including MVMCP for Dec 21 and the Luau on Xmas day ( both traditions). and WHAM!!! I got hit with a bunch of financial stuff in the last couple of weeks, including that now I will be helping my dad with my moms medical bills that insurance won't cover including her home care nurse. So obviously Poly really needs to be off the radar now. WHich we are both very bummed about. I am exploring a couple of other options so that we could still go and saty onsite....those include Coronado Springs, the Dolphin , Wilderness Lodge and OLK studio. Our dates are pretty fixed due to the Luau and the MVMCP so shortening the stay would not work.

Any recommendations? Obviously CSR would be the most cost effective and would leave the most wiggle room in our budget. And I am seriosuly leaning that way. I just know that I prefer the Deluxe resorts as this is our big trip every year and we do spend a good bit of time in the room both by choice and forced ( every year so far something has happened on the trip..got sick, got hurt etc that forced us to be int eh room for several days) so I hate to be somewhere with no room service etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

offwego
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
The moderates are quite nice. (mind you the only room service is pizza at them)

You may find that you enjoy the "remote" quality of some of them compared to all the people in the GCH for the ohana breakfast/dinner etc.

I've not stayed at CSR (but have at POR/PQ/CBR) and all of these after the poly and was quite pleased with them.

Good luck with your choice but I'd highly reccommend any of them and if budget is an issue that will allow you to enjoy your stay more then worrying about the $$ would.

Hammer
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Actually, Coronado Springs offers a larger room service menu than the other moderates, though it is more limited than the room service at the Poly. You can order breakfast, salads and sandwiches from their room service menu.

I am a big fan of Coronado Springs and it will offer you a few of the amenities available to the Deluxe resorts, such as a salon, exercise room (massages are available) and larger room service menu. Also, unlike the Poly, you will have use of a huge hot tub in the main pool area. That said, I also like the Dolphin and if you qualify for one of the discounted rates and do not plan on using the Dining Plan (it is not available at the Swan or Dolphin), I would look into staying there.

#1donaldfan
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I suggest POR AB.....it's a mod with an awesome food court and TS, Boatwrights....great breakfast....!!!! You can take a boat to DtD for shopping / eating.....the resort is so inviting, relaxing, laid back.....We have only stayed there and really, I don't see us staying anywhere else. We've visited all the others, values / mods / deluxe.....we just keep going back...it's sorta our home away from home. I think you love it.:thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm really a numbers person, so I would probably sit down and budget out each location. I'd lean towards the Dolphin because of it's proximity to both Epcot & MGM. I think at Christmas time, the less you have to rely on bus transportation, the better. I'm pretty sure that the nightly rate is also going to be the 2nd cheapest, about $55 more per night than the CSR. If you could cut some other costs, like having counter service as opposed to sit down meals or cutting back on room service, you could probably come up with that $55 easily enough. Not sure what you value most with your vacation, just giving you some different ways to look at your budget.

offwego
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Actually, Coronado Springs offers a larger room service menu than the other moderates, though it is more limited than the room service at the Poly. You can order breakfast, salads and sandwiches from their room service menu..

I'm so sorry..I didn't know this not having stayed there. Didn't mean to mislead the OP at all.

WishingStar2006
12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
You mentioned WL...that is less than the POLY for sure but you still get all of the deluxe amenities.

I have never stayed at Coronado Springs but it seems pretty "out of the way" and spread out which may not be great if you do end up confined.

Why not get a Disney VISA and charge your POLY room...it's 6 months interest free!

Whatever you decide, have a great time with your daughter!

Happy Holidays :tree::santa2::santa::snowman::ornament::gift:

SignguyTom
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
My vote goes to POR. The grounds are stunning, plus the table service restaurant, Boatwright's, is also very good. There are Carriage rides, watercraft, Surrey Bikes. I am actually surprised this is not a Deluxe resort.

murphy1
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I would highly recommend either WL or POFQ with WL #1 especially at Christmas, it's so special. I love FQ b/c of the quaintness and it's cozy, but if I were you I would do WL if you can swing it. You might find yourself a new favorite!!

chechas
12-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have Coronado on the back burner but I am looking into Swan/Dolphin or Wilderness Lodge right now. Both are in my new budget so I am thinking Wilderness Lodge because I do not like having to pay for every little thing at Swan/Dolphin - i.e. parking, frig etc.

With Florida resident discount, WL is do-able. Will probably rebook tonight. DOes anyone know if I can just swing my deposit from Poly over to WL booking or do I need to pay a new deposit?

WishingStar2006
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes, you can apply the deposit you paid to the new hotel...you're just updating the reservation, not cancelling it. I'm amazed that there are rooms available at WL for Christmas....you will have a great time...it is a beautiful resort and even more so at Christmas time.

Have a happy holiday!:santa3::santa3:

murphy1
12-06-2007, 02:56 PM
That's wonderful!! If you are looking for a wonderful dining experience, you might want to try Artist Point at WL, too. It is by far on the top of my dining list. I think you will truly enjoy your trip if you stay there!

chechas
12-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Thank god I am such a procrastinator! Well for once I am thankful. My sisters have chipped in and covered the price difference on hotels as Xmas gift to me and my daughter. They know how much my daughter and I look forward to this mom/daughter bonding trip every Christmas and how big a part Polynesian has played in that.

They totally rock and I am thrille, can't wait to surprise DD with it when we pull up to the Poly in about 12 days! She still thinks that we are doing Coronado or WL. hehehehe. It will kill me to keep the secret but it will be worth it!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! Can't wait to start on my pre-trip report. LOL

Poly - here we come!

Marker
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
WL is a compromise???? Wow. And here I was thinking that the moderates are splurging.

Guess my only comment is, family first. No one has said a word about your mother in all of this. I hope she's doing ok, and manages to get the care she needs. That seems like it would be the real priority.

After all, Christmas is a lot more about family, than Disney. Disney World will always be there. But that's just my opinion.