PDA

View Full Version : Value vs. Moderate

bshaw96
12-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I know I've seen this on here before, but couldn't find it. Could you please offer your opinions on value vs. moderate? We've always done value, as our budget is limited, and we like to spend more in the parks and don't spend all that much time at the hotel during our trips. However, dh and I are planning a trip without the kids, and were considering upgrading to moderate. While we'd still be spending most of our time in the parks, would like somewhat more of an "adult" room to come back to. Would prefer a king bed over 2 doubles, and value won't guarantee that. Would loooove to go deluxe, but that's just not even possible unless we wanted to shorten our trip from 7 nights to 2, lol. How much difference is there b/w value/moderate? What are the pros? cons? I know there's a huge diff b/w value and deluxe, but was curious about b/w value and moderate. I know opinions will vary, and am looking for all! Thanks in advance.

#1donaldfan
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
We like the mods as they seem less like a "park" after a long day. The values seem so busy all the time.....food court lines etc....we really like POR...it's so relaxing after a long, hot day at a park....once we get off the bus, it's just a good feel to be at the resort to unwind and relax a while.......

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
I know I've seen this on here before, but couldn't find it. Could you please offer your opinions on value vs. moderate? We've always done value, as our budget is limited, and we like to spend more in the parks and don't spend all that much time at the hotel during our trips. However, dh and I are planning a trip without the kids, and were considering upgrading to moderate. While we'd still be spending most of our time in the parks, would like somewhat more of an "adult" room to come back to. Would prefer a king bed over 2 doubles, and value won't guarantee that. Would loooove to go deluxe, but that's just not even possible unless we wanted to shorten our trip from 7 nights to 2, lol. How much difference is there b/w value/moderate? What are the pros? cons? I know there's a huge diff b/w value and deluxe, but was curious about b/w value and moderate. I know opinions will vary, and am looking for all! Thanks in advance.
:party: I've never stayed in Deluxe but have stayed in Value (AS Movies) and in Moderate (Coronado Springs). For the Values Cons include no coffee pot in the room, of course you can bring one from home so the price difference isn't worth not having a coffee pot and the values food courts seem to be a little more crowded and the pools are not as elaborately themed. Pros of course are the price....I don't think you are guaranteed a king size bed at moderates either, so standard rooms both include double beds. As far as pros go for the moderate, the decor is a little more adult than values and the food court at CS seemed to offer more choices than AS Movies. Also, bus lines were not as long at moderates. Having said that, we decided with the price difference we would rather spend the money on extra days rather than a little bit more luxury so we will be staying at values again Dec. 08.

NJMan66
12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
The POR has a really amazing piano bar plus there is a boat that takes you directly to DTD. If only adults are going to WDW, then I would suggest looking into the "after hours" scene so that you have something to do later at night after the parks. POR seems well suited, as a moderate, for that type of an experience.

Goofeygal
12-04-2007, 01:45 PM
For the price I really do enjoy the values.

cajunprincess
12-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I have stayed at 2 of the moderate resorts (POR and CSR) 1 deluxe (BWI) and one value (POP). While I will agree that the deluxe resorts are way too steep, I will not stay at a value again if I can help it. (never say never right?) The themes at the moderates and over all feeling are more "adult" than the value's. It definately seemed less busy, and much more quiet. I guess it really does depend on your personal preference. And yes, we were guaranteed a King bed. It did cost a bit extra, but worth it.

JPL
12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
The Biggest difference between the 2 is that a Value doesn't have a Table Service Restaurant. As far as the room not too much size difference especially when it's only 2 people in the room. The Moderates do offer better theming a few more Ammenities and activities compared to the Values but if you are spending most of your time in the parks this really shouldn't be a factor. As for the bus lines and crowds at the food courts it depends on the time of year. I have waited on long at values, moderates, Deluxe resorts for buses and in the food court. As a matter of fact one of the worst waits I have ever had for a bus was at AKL.

I also think the Value you chose has a lot to do with your experience I have found Pop Century to be a step above the value resorts and have enjoyed my stays there as much as my stays at POR or CS.

gwfx1031
12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Do what makes the most money sense for you and your family. You will have a great time at either, regardless. We have stayed in both and prefer the moderates due to room size, overall resort "feel" and ammenities, but we have had a great time at both.

jray21
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I would also pick a moderate. I loved POFQ. It was much quieter, bus service was better, and food choices were better. Just seemed nicer overall.

Meghan
12-04-2007, 02:33 PM
If this is a rare just parents trip, I'd use this oppertunity to splurge on a moderate room. The value resorts are great, they get the job done, and I stay at them a lot. I do find the general atmosphere at the moderates much more relaxed and laid back. I like that. Theres the added bonus of a sit down restaurant, a bar, and a waterslide at the pool. While the rooms may not be much bigger, there are decorated more maturely. It's up to you, but if this is your one chance to stay in a moderate, I say take it.

vicster
12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
We usually stay at WL but this year we met friends down there and stayed at CBR and I was really happy with CBR. (first time we stayed at a mod). We got a king size bed which was great. The food court was great. I really wasn't looking forward to staying there after WL but I was pleasantly surprised.

PinKy
12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree with some of the folks above. If this is your *one* chance (for a while anyway...) to stay at a nicer resort without the kids - go for it!!! I have stayed at PORFQ and CBR and both were beautiful and very nice - I personally enjoyed the French Quarter a bit more because I was looking for something quiet, a small resort, and relaxing. Plus they have a boat that goes to DTD or over to Riverside which is fun. Caribbean was beautiful though - very nice pools, loved the gift shop - if you stay there though - *get a preferred room!* so that you don't have to take the bus to the main building all the time.

That being said, should you decide on a value - I highly highly recommend Pop Century. Have fun!!!

McGoofy
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
If you are looking to spend as little as possible and no frills, a value is fine. I like the values, but they definitely seem more geared to little kids. I do not care for the way the food courts always seems so crowded there. With that said, Pop Century is my favorite of the values.

However, when given the choice, I would definitely choose a moderate over a value. I have a bad back, and sleeping on a value resort mattress always results in my back hurting in the morning. I do not have this problem at moderates, so I'm guessing the mattresses at the moderates are a little nicer. The bathrooms have double sinks. The rooms have ceiling fans, a fridge (without the $10/day fee that values charge), and coffee pots. The pools all have water slides. The food courts seem nicer too. Also, at Coronado Springs (because it is a conference center), they also have a health club and spa.

IloveDisney71
12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
If this is a rare just parents trip, I'd use this oppertunity to splurge on a moderate room. The value resorts are great, they get the job done, and I stay at them a lot. I do find the general atmosphere at the moderates much more relaxed and laid back. I like that. Theres the added bonus of a sit down restaurant, a bar, and a waterslide at the pool. While the rooms may not be much bigger, there are decorated more maturely. It's up to you, but if this is your one chance to stay in a moderate, I say take it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Me & my DH splurged and stayed at the CBR when we went without our 2 DD's. It was a calmer atmosphere and more "adult". I love the values and have stayed at them several times. But it was a nice treat to stay at the CBR.

Speedy1998
12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
We always go with the Value resorts. All we use the resorts for is a place to sleep and shower, it just does not make since for us to pay amenities that we will not end up using.

Tink#64
12-05-2007, 12:39 AM
We have only stayed at values, but we're quite happy with them! We've stayed at Pop for our last 3 trips & it's now our WDW home! We spend most of our time & money (LOL! :blush:) in the parks. We figure we're at the resort for an afternoon break, to swim & to sleep.

That said, if it was only myself & DH on a rare adults only trip to WDW, I think we'd try one of the Mod's! We've thought about trying a mod, instead but we've always chickened out, thinking we'd be disappointed (too grown up & boring!). But I think adults only, a different atmosphere is definitely in line! Go ahead, splurge & go to one of the more grownup resorts! :woohoo:

If it was me, I'd like to try POFQ or CBR. Both look interesting, nice, & more laid back. It would depend on the mood you're after! :blush:

DDuck66
12-05-2007, 10:27 AM
We usually decide between the two based on the length of our stay. If it is a short trip (3-4 Days) we will go with a Value Resort (Usually POP), while if the trip is over 5 days we usually go with a Moderate. CBR is our fave moderate as the resort is set up more like a condo than a motel. There is only two floors to each building and the resort is spread out over sevral "islands".

luvkatiebug
12-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I would say that maybe you can justify staying at a moderate this time b/c you don't have to pay for park tickets for the kids!

A value "does the job", but the moderate may prove more relaxing for you and your husband. I wouldn't do it if it is going to break the bank.

We decided to "upgrade" to the Swan this time (only b/c we get the teacher discount, and makes it the same price as a moderate would be at the time we are going), b/c the value was kind of small for us (my DH is a big guy!). Having said that, we waited to save up so we could do that. If finances were tight, then we would probably just go with the value and be fine with that. Enjoy!:mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I say upgrade, upgrade, upgrade! We always stayed at the Values. I never cared for the all stars but POP was our preferred. This last trip we stayed at CBR. What a difference. I actually felt like I was on vacation. I did not think it would make such a difference but wow! I was hesitant since my 7 year old always wanted to stay at the values because of the themeing. He enjoyed himself this trip so much. He kept saying, it feels like we are in Hawaii. At the values the noise and activity levels are sometimes crazy. The buses always seemed overcrowded. No shelter from the sun or rain as you stood. At CBR our time of year (september) there was never more than 5-6 people waiting for a bus, and you waited in comfort under a shelter with benches. Not crammed together like sardines. If it's just you and your Husband, upgrade definately. It's a much more slower relaxed pace. Good luck deciding and have fun!!

JerseyMouse
12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Another vote here for the Moderate upgrade, if possible. We are going back in May, and gave some thought to staying at a value resort to save a few $$$, but simply couldn't do it. The only time we would stay at a value resort again is if the only other option would be offsite.

I am a terribly light sleeper, and have almost never gotten a good nights' sleep at the value resorts, the walls seem paper-thin, IMHO. That was my biggest problem with the value resorts I have stayed in years ago. I can deal with a more crowded food court, but the sleep issue is too great for me.

POR allows me to go night-night quite nicely!

wedway76
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I say treat yourself to a moderate. We always go to the values and love them, but lately I've been leaning toward upgrading to a moderate too. We usually go to the AS-Sports during the busy season. We could probably stay at a moderate in the off season for just a few dollars more.

McGoofy
12-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I am a terribly light sleeper, and have almost never gotten a good nights' sleep at the value resorts, the walls seem paper-thin, IMHO. That was my biggest problem with the value resorts I have stayed in years ago.

Oh yeah...I forgot about the thin walls at the values. I am very allergic to cigarette smoke, and more than once I woke up during the night to smelling cigarette smoke through the walls or ceiling or somewhere. Maybe that is not an issue now that Disney has gone smoke-free for all of the rooms. Or maybe it is worse since people most likely stand directly outside their door to smoke. I can't speak for the current status of that since I have not stayed at a value resort since Disney went smoke-free, but I do agree with the walls being thin!

Lisaj13
12-05-2007, 06:14 PM
After a day at the parks I do love a soak in the jacuzzi, so I'd have to say Moderates are for me.