PDA

View Full Version : A Problem with my Credit Card...

Crystal Palace
12-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Okay, I have calmed down considerably about this, but I still want to vent and get some advice...

A month ago I was shopping at Victoria's Secret, and I had a $25 gift card, plus a $10 rewards card that I wanted to put towards my purchase. The girl who ran up my purchases had a hard time scanning the gift card. She was getting a HUGE attitude about it with me. Finally it worked, and I asked her if she also ran the $10 rewards card. She said she did. Well, I looked at my receipt as I was leaving the store, and sure enough, she hadn't given me my $10 discount! So I went back over to her and told her so. She hands over the card and says "Well here! You can have it back!" I said "I don't think so! I came in here to use it, and I want it applied toward my purchase TODAY." She went and got a manager to do the transaction, and I spoke to the store manager about how I was treated.

A few weeks later I received my Victoria's Secret credit card statement in the mail, and there were three transactions from that day: The original one, the one with $10 less, and another mystery amount of $41.73. Of course I get right on the phone with the credit card company and get some young guy who has no idea what to tell me. Maybe it was his first day?? He says "Well I guess you'll have to write a letter" all the while smacking his gum. I asked to speak to a manager, and he puts me on hold forever, then comes back and says there's no manager there. I am furious at this point. He gives me another number to call, and I call it, and wait on hold forever. It turns out to be the catalog order line! I am FUMING at this point. So I call the credit card number AGAIN, and get a different guy who says I need to call the actual store to get it straigntened out. So I call the store and get some girl that says "Well, we can't straighten it out over the phone. I don't know why he told you that. You'll have to come in to the store."

Well, it's been a few weeks since, and I haven't gone into the store yet. I've been busy, and frankly I didn't have the emotional strength to deal with it. I have since paid my bill for the month, because I'm not going to let it be late. What do you think I should do? Is it too late to dispute it, since it's been a month? I am niave about this stuff, as I've never had to deal with a problem like this before. I'm kind of torn between dealing with a lot more headaches, or just letting it go. $41.73 is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. Either way, I'm NEVER giving that store a penny of my money again. Their customer service is BEYOND abysmal. What would you do?

Sorry for the long post!

cal5755
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I would keep calling the credit card company and the store every day til I got that amount removed from my bill!! I am sorry you had to deal with this!! It happened to us with Children's Place credit card and it took 3 months of me on the phone before I finally got a manager..... of course I threatened to call the better bus. and the attorney general.

Good luck if you decide to persue the matter... I would if I were you!!

caryrae
12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I would keep trying until you get your money back. Do you really want a company who treats their customers like that to keep your hard earned money because of their mistake? Credit card companies already get a ton of money out of us they don't need anymore free money.

bleukarma
12-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said, keep calling until you get a manager or go into the store and ask to talk to a manager. From this point forward I wouldn't waste my time with anyone that isn't a manager. I would want the money taken off on principle alone, it doesn't matter if it's not a lot.

BrerGnat
12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
This is why I don't have store credit cards. They are HORRIBLE when something goes wrong (and it usually does). Plus, the interest rates are awful.

Do yourself a favor: close that account. Get a credit card with a favorable APR and a rewards system of some sort. Get a Visa or Mastercard, both of which have fraud protection and zero liability for unauthorized charges. When something like this happens, let the card company investigate it so you don't have to.

I have been a Citibank Mastercard holder for several years and have had unauthorized charges come up a couple of times (cashiers stole my card number and charged up stuff from a catalog order company). Both times, Citibank dealt with it immediately and without much input from me. It was painless. I highly recommend one of their cards. They have many to choose from, so you can pick the one that's right for you.

Crystal Palace
12-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, and you're right. I shouldn't give up. So it's not too late to fight it, even after 30 days? Please forgive my ignorance. ;)

luvdiznee
12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I would either call their cust svce # or go into the store and either way deal with a manager only. Then maybe top it off with a complaint letter about the way you've been treated. But I certainly wouldn't allow them to have any unnecessary monies. Good luck whatever you decide.

Ian
12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
This is why I don't have store credit cards. They are HORRIBLE when something goes wrong (and it usually does). Plus, the interest rates are awful.

Do yourself a favor: close that account. Get a credit card with a favorable APR and a rewards system of some sort. Get a Visa or Mastercard, both of which have fraud protection and zero liability for unauthorized charges.First of all, Nat is 100% correct. Store credit cards are a disaster waiting to happen. The only time I would ever flirt with a store credit card is if it is to take advantage of a 0% interest special. Other than that, I want nothing to do with them.

As far as this particular situation goes, I'm going to go against the grain and tell you to chalk it up to a bad experience and cancel your card. Honestly, once you've paid the disputed amount it's highly unlikely you'll ever get it back. Paying the debt is tantamount to admitting you owe it and companies know that you have very little recourse once you pay.

That's why you should never, ever make payment on a disputed charge. Even if they report you late, it won't damage your credit until it's more than 30 days past due. Even then, once you clear up the dispute, your credit should be updated and repaired (you need to check yourself that it gets done, though).

SBETigg
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
That's why you should never, ever make payment on a disputed charge. Even if they report you late, it won't damage your credit until it's more than 30 days past due. Even then, once you clear up the dispute, your credit should be updated and repaired (you need to check yourself that it gets done, though).

I disagree. If they made a mistake, they owe you the money back even if you pay it. This isn't an admission that the charge is valid. It's what you need to do to keep your credit from taking the hit. If you have a dispute, it will eventually be resolved but if you refuse to pay a bill in the meantime, it will be reported as refusal to pay and hurt your credit score. It's not so easy to wipe away that credit blemish once it appears. Pay it, cancel the card, continue to dispute it. It's your right as the consumer. The best thing you can do is get to the store and see the manager to clear that up. If the manager refuses to help you, write the regional manager. Managers have bosses, too.

A likely scenario is the that the sales clerk made her own little purchase using your charge card as revenge for you insisting on your $10 off. It happens more than you know. This person needs to be fired before she does it to someone else.

RenDuran
12-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Most of my store and credit card statements tell you right on the back how to dispute items. Have you looked at the back of your monthly statement?

tinksmom02
12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I would follow the other posters' advice and follow up with a manager.

Victoria's Secret's customer service has gone WAYYYYY downhill in the past year or so. I refuse to shop there anymore.

jdcastle
12-03-2007, 11:51 PM
I believe that even store cards are bound by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which allows you to formally dispute unauthorized or disputed charges within 60 days from the receiving the first bill with the error.

I have exercised this right several times, always over the phone first, followed by a written statement the credit card company mailed me to complete.

If you can not get the process started over the phone, write a letter to the address listed on the statement for billing inquiries (NOT the payment address.) Paying the disputed charges does not affect your rights in disputing any charges.

DisneyDudet
12-04-2007, 08:16 AM
The problem with store cards is that they are through a credit card agency, so there are a lot of steps to get through.

This post reminded me to pay for my VS card!!

I sure hope you get it squared away. No matter the amount of the charge, you should dispute it, because you do did not make the purchase.

Here we go again...
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, and you're right. I shouldn't give up. So it's not too late to fight it, even after 30 days? Please forgive my ignorance. ;)

No, it is not too late!! (it is never too late)
Call the store again and speak to the manager. If he/she is of no help ask her for the number to the corporate office. Contact them and let them know what happened and get this straightened out! Do not let them take advantage of you.

As a matter of fact, I think they should send you some kind of gift certificate or something...

thrillme
12-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Forty-one dollars is not a lot of money????

Can I borrow your credit card??? :D

Regardless if it's $4, $40, or $400 I'd definatly fight tooth and nail. Take it to the manager get it straightened out. Call back customer service and not only ask to speak to a manager immediately tell them about the "gum smacker" (oooohhhh I HATE that when I'm talking on the phone to customer service :mad:)...Tell them about the treatment at the store and how frustrated you are. Tell them you are disputing the purchase and you insist on having it removed. I would NOT let this rest. It can take a month or two to get it removed from your credit but don't be afraid to contact the credit agencies.

Once you get it all resolved I'd definately consider cancelling the card along with a letter stating that you feel the card has been compromised.

Flower
12-06-2007, 09:36 AM
If you look at the back of your statement, the very first thing it says is:
BILLING RIGHTS SUMMARY - IN CASE OF ERRORS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BILL

(Paraphrased:)
If you think your bill is wrong, write to:...... we must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent you the first bill on which the error or problem appeared. You can telephone us, but doing so will NOT protect your rights.

I am ticked off at them too! Because I am in Canada my only option to pay my bill easily is to send a money order. I purchased the money order thru a local post office and mailed it from the post office on November 8th. VS did not make payment towards my account until Nov 25th - it was due Nov 22nd - I really don't think it took over 2 weeks to get to them! At least my charge was only $5.52.

MAKE SURE YOU WRITE TO THEM SOON, and keep a photocopy, and I would send it registered so they have to sign for it and get a tracking number from the post office so you can trace its route. Good Luck!

Crystal Palace
12-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I am going to deal with it this week. I was told to go into the store, which I don't get at all. How are they going to fix it there? So I think I'm going to call again and again, until I get a person who knows what the HECK they are doing, and write a letter. I'll see where that gets me. But one thing's for sure, they'll never see a penny from me again. I don't need their merchandise that badly!:mad: