PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't believe I saw this...

luvdiznee
12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Me and DD were at a restaurant today for dinner. In our area there were 3 tables one in front of us and another across from that one. So at the table in front of us there is a guy and his daughter (I geuss, a little girl), anyway I know they had a different server from us. There's was a guy that kept going to their table and getting them their food and all. And our's was the girl. And our waitress also had the table across from them. Anyway when this guy and his dd left, I saw that he left a tip. Well our waitress was at the table across and after she asked them how was their food and they answered, she turned around and took that TIP from the other table. At first I thought she did it as a joke. We were also seated near the "soda" station, where they get the drinks and congregate, so I was expecting them to all have a good laugh over this. Because, too they were all talking and laughing, at least the girls. But that's not what happened. This waiter went back to the table not to collect empty glasses because you could see that he was actually looking for something. He didn't find any $$$. He then walked to the front of the restaurant and was kind of looking around, (not sure if he asked anyone up there). Then he came back to the table, moved the salt and pepper shakers, the ketchup and everything and you knew he was looking for that TIP. I felt so bad for him. I didn't think it was my place to say anything. But at the same time I don't know if it was a joke. We left about 15-20 mins after this and from what I could hear, still no resolution for this waiter. I just couldn't believe this happened. :(

disneymom15
12-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree, I would have said something. That girl had no right to take his tip. If shes done it to him, shes probably done it to others.

CleveSJM
12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about this one too much. I'm sure they pool their tips. Everyone gets the same share. It's a way to spread the money between the host, wait, bus, and cleaning staff. It's very common. Only thing bad about it was the girl didn't tell the guy she picked it up for him and he wasted time looking.

Unless, of course, she is evil and pocketed it. But I highly doubt that. Not worth the risk of losing her job.

Cinderelley
12-03-2007, 03:06 AM
When I worked as a waitress, we never split our tips. Poor guy.

Tigger&Stitch
12-03-2007, 03:43 AM
I don't know about the pooling..never worked as a waitress, much less at WDW. Is there any way you could go back today and say something to a manager?

brownie
12-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I would have said something at the time.

luvdiznee
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Unless, of course, she is evil and pocketed it. But I highly doubt that. Not worth the risk of losing her job.

That's something that I would not have wanted to feel responsible for. But it would be hard to believe that they were pooling tips if he was looking for it and she never said anything. :confused:

cal5755
12-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I would of reported what I saw to a manager. I am a waitress myself and this happens more often than you think.... I have even had a customer take a tip of a table of mine!! I feel bad for that guy... he most likely had to claim that tip even though he didnt get it. I know here you have to autimatically claim 10 percent of sales regardless of what you make... and that 10 percent is taxed. Poor guy.

Ian
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A lot of places, the waitstaff will pick up another server's tip just so the table can be cleared and a new party seated.

They normally hand it off to the other server after the fact. I doubt she flat-out stole his tip.

Lizzy
12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I would have mentioned something to the manager.

I am a restaraunt manager and would want to know if my employees were doing that to each other. Especially if it looked like he was looking for it.

Marker
12-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I didn't think it was my place to say anything. :(

Why???

So is that kind of the same as being an accomplice?

pink
12-07-2007, 05:33 PM
That's crazy, I've never seen that happen before. I understand how you didn't want to get involved because sometimes I feel that way too but I would never hurt to say something. :mickey:

luvdiznee
12-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Why???

So is that kind of the same as being an accomplice?

Makes no sense to say that. Like it was said earlier, I don't know if the put their tips together, don't know if it was a joke, don't know what happened at the end of the night. And I certainly did not get ANY of that tip so I would hardly be considered an accomplice.