PDA

View Full Version : The Strmchsr Family Report Part 1

Strmchsr
12-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Cast - Me, DW, DM, and 2 sons (7 and 2)

We left Montgomery late Saturday night and drove all night to arrive around 6:30 am Sunday morning, November 25 at All Star Sports Resort. This was our first time flying and, though driving almost 8 hours overnight wasn't easy, it beats the heck out of flying through Atlanta.

Okay, before I advance through any more of I trip report I want to get my one and only complaint out of the way - the smoking policy at the resorts. I figrued it was coming, but I was really ticked off at the lack of enforcement. I felt like we were prisoners in our room with DW's allergies. People were smoking outside their rooms, at the outside tables in front of the food court, at the pool, in the stairwells, and pretty much just walking around in general. It seemed we couldn't go anywhere at the resort without hitting smokers and I saw CM's just walk right by not saying a word. While I was irritated, I don't completely blame the smokers. The resort had no "no smoking" signs around. They should have been all over. I believe most smokers who see that respect the sign, but when there's no sign obviously no one pays attention to what they're told at check-in (if they're told anything). Disney REALLY dropped the ball on this one, but that's my one and only complaint about the trip.

We got checked in, made sure Caleb's lantus insulin was stored at the luggage desk in the fridge until out room was ready, and headed for the Contemporary Resort and Chef Mickey's. We were celebrating Cole's 2nd birthday so he got a cupcake and the characters made a fuss over him, but he wasn't particularly thrilled about that. I definitely give Chef Mickey's a thumbs up. The food was diverse and we were able to find food for both the boys, and were able to get things that we knew how to dose Caleb for.

Following breakfast we spent the day at Magic Kingdom. We were able to see the new HM and loved the effects, and also saw the new POTC for the first time. I thought both rides were quite well done in their new incarnations. The additions really enhanced the rides while the attractions maintained all the classic atmosphere we love. Caleb got to do his favorites - BTMRR and Splash Mountain and we introduced Cole to all of the Fantasyland favorites as well as the Barnstormer and we have a new confirmed roller coaster lover in the family. That said, Cole's favorite rides all week were the transportation modes. All we heard from him was "ide da bus" "ide da tain" "ide da boat." So, as long as we were traveling he was happy.

Lunch was at Cosmic Rays, which we always love, but Sunday night was a new experience for us at Whispering Canyon. Awesome steak and Caleb had a blast delivering ketchup, joining in the pony ride around the restaurant and throwing napkins with our server. Definitely a unique and fun experience.

Let me go ahead and say that we were VERY pleased with Disney Dining. Every ADR already had it noted that Caleb was a diabetic and the chef came out at every restaurant to ensure Caleb was able to eat. He actually ate quite well. With 18 months under our belt of dealing with a diabetic child we knew the carb counts of the food pretty well and were able to correctly guess his needed insulin dosage almost every time. We only had one instance of overdosing (a Mickey Bar and some juice cured that) and one instance of way underdosing. Other than that his sugars stayed in a normal range. I want to say to all other diabetics, our strategy was to check regularly (we do anyway, but we checked more often), keep hydrated, allow for the extra exercise by dosing a little less than normal, and asking the chef if there were any questions. I was VERY pleased with the new kids menus and Caleb loved being able to choose from grapes, applesauce, carrot sticks, etc each meal rather than chicken fingers and French fries every meal. We didn't have a single meal where we felt he couldn't order from the menu, so it was a good experience all the way around.

Second general note - the crowds. Much has been said about the increase in crowds the week after Thanksgiving. That trend definitely continued this week. I didn't find the crowds to be unbearable, but they were definitely there. Standby lines were 20-50 minutes, though every now and then I'd hit a 5-10 min wait. So, 20-50 min isn't bad at all, but it's not the walk-ons of years past. You just had to do as we always recommend here at Intercot - have a plan and use Fastpass. That's exactly what we did and we were easily able to do the things we most wanted. Maybe not multiple times, but at least once.

Monday was Disney's Hollywood Studios (I'm trying to get used to the name) for the morning and afternoon. Caleb road TOT for the first time and loved it and reroad RNRC, which was great as always. The last time he road that he was just starting to show the symptoms of diabetes (we didn't know it yet), so it messed him up. This time he road with no problems and loved it. We also hit several of the shows. Both my boys, and especially the 2 yr old, loved the Lights Motors Action Stunt Show. Monday evening was another new treat for us as we ate at Marrakesh. I had the lamb and Renae the beef-kabob. We shared and loved both meals. The atmosphere was a lot of fun, though with the increased crowds and popularity of the DDP service was slow. The waiters were all very friendly, but either the restaurant was understaffed or they were just slow. They seemed to be working hard, but it took forever to get just a water refill. We loved the music and belly dancer and would eat there again in a heartbeat.

Okay, I'll cover the rest of the week in a later post. That's it for now.

amorillo
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Monday evening was another new treat for us as we ate at Marrakesh. I had the lamb and Renae the beef-kabob. We shared and loved both meals. The atmosphere was a lot of fun, though with the increased crowds and popularity of the DDP service was slow. The waiters were all very friendly, but either the restaurant was understaffed or they were just slow. They seemed to be working hard, but it took forever to get just a water refill. We loved the music and belly dancer and would eat there again in a heartbeat.

So glad to hear good things about Marrakesh! I don't always hear that here. My family just loves this restaurant! In fact, on more than one trip, we've eaten here twice!

Sounds like your trip had a great start... can't wait to read more!!

RedheadWriter
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Loved reading about your trip! Can't wait for more
Rachel

AbeeNormal
12-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I really loved hearing how the Chef's all came out for your son, now thats Disney:mickey:

Sounds like you all managed the crowds very well and made the best of it. I can't wait to read more.:thumbsup:

Jeff
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the report!:thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
What a great start. So glad the chefs took care of your little one. Way to go Disney!! Can't wait to read more.

pdrlkr
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

LibertyTreeGal
12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh my gosh Chris, I can't believe you already posted this report...

for the record, after we talked I noticed the smoking thing too -- not in the parks, but in every walkway around Beach Club and Downtown Disney was bad -- right there where we had to wait for the busses!

Urgh, time to get the kids up and ready for school, we got in at 11:30 last night!!! Bad mommy!

tinkerbell04
12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a great start. We noticed the smoking thing as well, and it irritated us too. I am looking forward to reading more.:mickey:

KylesMom
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
What a great couple of days, Chris. Looking foward to reading more! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
First let me say, I am a fan of your weather forecasting and read your posts when I need to be clued in:thumbsup:
Thanks for the report! I am happy that your diabetic son is doing so very well. Sounds like you and your wife are doing an awesome job managing your sons health!
Glad you liked Marrakesh! That was on my to do list for our Thanksgiving week trip,and we never made it there!!! GRRR! Next time its a "for sure."

pogo
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Glad to hear all was well. Sounds like you all had fun. Thanks for sharing, Chris. :D

disneydrmr
12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Sounds like a great start to your trip! I have problems with MSG and when I went to Disney last year the chefs at each place we ate came out to talk to me also.. they really do care about the dietary needs of the guests! Glad all went well for your son and that you were able to manage his diabetes so well. Looking forward to reading more report from you!

faline
12-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Going non-smoking in the resort rooms hasn't really been the "cure" they expected. At Animal Kingdom Lodge, one could not exit the front doors of the building to head to the bus stop without crossing through a cloud of smoke. We took to cutting through the store in order to avoid the smoking nook - hmmm! Do you think they did this on purpose?

I'm glad to hear that Caleb did well on the trip! Cole's birthday dinner must have been quite fun!

Maleficent's Dad
12-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Chris,
Great report and a great start!
We love the atmosphere of the WCC, and I'm glad your family enjoyed it as well!
Looking forward to reading the rest! :mickey:

BelleCiavo
12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I love the way Disney handles food issues. I have two sons with severe allergies and WDW Dining is the best! Sounds like you had a great day at MK.
Off to read more :mickey:

Karen

realtreebar
12-07-2007, 12:56 AM
thanks for sharing! "gotta love :mickey: "

ChipnDaleGal
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I am so glad to hear that things went so well with Dining and Caleb's needs. Sounds like your family is off to a wonderful start, Chris. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

HndrdPrcnt
12-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Being that I have become a Type 1 diabetic myself since my last trip to Disney, it was great to hear that they catered to your son's needs. I have to admit that I am not very diligent and would pretty much make any menu work, but it is always better when the place you are eating is willing to help you out and have things that are better for you and you situation.

Thanks for the report!!:thumbsup: