PDA

View Full Version : Good news on Spaceship Earth From the source (and other info too)

Strmchsr
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
This past Friday I had lunch with Jerold Kaplan, Technical Director for Walt Disney Imagineering. Jerold is/has been the head of projects such as Toy Story Mania, Mission Space, Test Track, the effects for Illuminations, the current Spaceship Earth refurb, etc. So, lots of info to pass along straight from the source:

1.) Spaceship Earth - So I asked what had gone wrong to push SE's opening back almost 3 months. He looked surprised when I asked him this and said, "What are you talking about?" I mentioned that the official Disney website (and Intercot) had originally listed SE as reopening mid November but had suddenly changed to February 18. He was really surprised by this and said that their hard date had always been after the first of the year. His only guess was that someone had originally posted the soft opening and he acknowledged that the soft opening had indeed been pushed back, but that the project was quite on track. In fact (here's the big news) he mentioned soft openings could begin as soon as this coming weekend (Dec 8-9) so if any of you folks are going soon you may get to ride SE after all. Since he's overseeing the project this isn't just a rumor. He told me that the refurb of SE would be very much like what we've seen with HM and POTC - all of the classic elements remain with a few enhancements. He said the ride vehicle would be considerably enhanced. It'll still be the ride you know and love (like the smell of Rome) just better. I hate that I missed SE by a week, but sounds like it'll be awesome.

2.) Journey Into Imagination - I asked specifically about JIYI getting a new facelift. He said that WDI is very aware of how immensely popular Dreamfinder is and that they are always kicking around ideas as to how to get him back involved but there is currently nothing even on the drawing board for JIYI. I asked what it would take to get something new and he said, basically, a new sponsor or Kodak kicking in some big bucks like Siemands has with SE. Without that, it ain't happening. I told him I had continuously heard rumors about JIYI and he said the folks at WDI do check out the big Disney fan websites and find that about 60% of the info/rumors you read are surprisingly accurate and the other 40% are so far out in left field it's laughable. Oh, and the rumors of the rainbow tunnel and all the original post-show stuff still being upstairs is apparently no longer true. Everything has been removed, though the space is still there and not being used for anything. So much for my hopes of seeing the rainbow tunnel again.

3.) Why no 25th anniversary celebration for Epcot? The basic answer: YOMD has been incredibly successful/popular and they didn't want 2 promotions at once. However, WDI loves to do big stuff for anniversaries and they are well aware that Epcot will celebrate 30 years in just 5 short years and that WDW will be turning 40 in just 3 years. There are some big things on the drawing board, but he couldn't say what as he's not sure those projects will actually get the final green light, but it appears that the next big thing to look for with WDW will be 2011 at the earliest.

4.) World Showcase - He said they are constantly talking about adding new pavilions, but there have been no serious discussions in at least 2 years. They were incredibly close to doing Spain, but when Spain had those terrorist attacks a couple of years ago and their government completely changed those talks fell through and nothing serious has happened with any country since. No, Russia is not (and hasn't been) on the drawing board, and though Israel has been kicked around nothing serious has ever occurred their, either. In fact, the only other serious country to almost happen was Switzerland. Apparently the entire pavilion was to be themed around the Matterhorn and WDW would get its own version of DLR's Matterhorn. He said that's still possible, but no serious discussions are occurring with any country right now.

We discussed lots of other stuff, but that's the main thing I thought you would be interested in. Of course, WDW isn't getting a lot of attention right now because Disney is pouring a TON of money into turning DCA at DLR into the "Pixar-land" but WDW will get its turn eventually. And Toy Story Mania looks to be really cool (sort of a cross between Buzz Lightyear and the virtual reality pirate game at DisneyQuest.

Jeff
12-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

chrisb26
12-02-2007, 03:56 PM
wow thanks for the update :thumbsup:

AbeeNormal
12-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Great news on Spacecship Earth, I sure hope we get to see it in January. :thumbsup:

Jared
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks so much for such a great post, Chris! You definitely asked all the right questions.

Great news about the Spaceship Earth soft opening. I'm really looking forward to seeing the changes.

:thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
:thumbsup:This was a GREAT post to read! Thanks!

amorillo
12-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Great post! Lots of interesting info! Thanks so much!

Looks like it may still be possible to continue the family tradition... Our new DD may just get to have her first WDW ride be Spaceship Earth! :fingers:

magicofdisney
12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Fabulous report. Thanks for the update. :mickey:

EPCOT84
12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Excellent report. That is why I love Intercot ! :thumbsup:

Lessie
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! And that is wonderful news about SSE! :thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Chris,
This report is better than you weather reports! ;)

Thanks so much for shaing the great info! :thumbsup:

Deesdisney
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Thank you for the great news. I am taking 2 family members that have never been in Jan. I was a little upset that they would not see SE. Now this will make the vacation complete.:joy::woohoo::yay:

CaptSmee
12-02-2007, 10:21 PM
The Swiss pavilion with a new Mattherhorn is old news. There are even schematics in some of the disney books out there. I doubt that will ever happen now that Everest has opened (basically, its a new versin of Matterhorn). Still was a neat idea though...

vizsla
12-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the updates.

Ian
12-03-2007, 06:41 AM
In fact (here's the big news) he mentioned soft openings could begin as soon as this coming weekend (Dec 8-9) so if any of you folks are going soon you may get to ride SE after all.Ummm ... that would be me! :wave:

I'll let everyone know if I'm fortunate enough to get to check it out!

Maleficent's Dad
12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
UPDATE from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-tourism0307dec03,0,1046256.story

Epcot's Spaceship Earth to reopen mid-December
Christopher Boyd | Jason Garcia and Scott Powers, Sentinel Staff Writers
December 3, 2007

Epcot's Spaceship Earth ride is expected to reopen in mid-December for sneak previews with a new story overlay, new technology and a whole new soundtrack -- created by 10-time Emmy Award-winning composer Bruce Broughton, a 63-piece orchestra and a 24-voice choir.

Walt Disney Imagineering announced late last week that Broughton's music has been fitted to each scene in the attraction's storyline, which follows the history of human innovation from one generation to the next, from prehistoric times to the 21st century.

The ride was closed earlier this year as the entire system also has been updated with new show scenes, lighting, costumes, set decorations, interactive features for riders and a new narrator, Academy Award-winning actress Judi Dench.

"To have that score transition smoothly as vehicles travel from one time period to the next is extremely difficult," said Walt Disney Imagineering show producer Bob Zalk. "The first time we rode through the attraction accompanied by that music, we were amazed."

The 180-foot-tall Spaceship Earth geodesic sphere opened as Epcot's centerpiece in 1982 with a ride storyline that originally focused more on the history of human communications. It has had occasional updates, but this year's overhaul by Walt Disney World and the attraction's sponsor Siemens AG was the first major change.

Dznygrl79
12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm gonna be in EPCOT on Sat morning I so hope they do a soft opening I love that ride! If not I will ride it on one of my upcoming trips!

I leave on Friday!!! I can't wait!

dolphinmickey9170
12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Chris, you ROCK!! I sure hope the soft opening happens, we'll be there the 14th-21st!! I'll let you know in my trip report what happens!! Looking forward to your weather report now.

goofy for pluto
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
He told me that the refurb of SE would be very much like what we've seen with HM and POTC - all of the classic elements remain with a few enhancements. He said the ride vehicle would be considerably enhanced. It'll still be the ride you know and love (like the smell of Rome) just better.

:yay: :woohoo: :clappy: :thumbsup:

Ian
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I wonder what the definition of "mid-December" is?

We leave on the 15th ... hopefully it comes up before then!

ibrowse17
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Great info, thanks:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
You know, I forgot to mention that there is a good bit of talk at WDI about eventually (and not too far into the future) changing Soarin from Soarin over California to Soarin Over The World to fit the Epcot theme and give WDW something unique from DLR.

magicman
12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
You know, I forgot to mention that there is a good bit of talk at WDI about eventually (and not too far into the future) changing Soarin from Soarin over California to Soarin Over The World to fit the Epcot theme and give WDW something unique from DLR.

More great info from you. You're on a roll. Thanks.

SurferStitch
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
:woohoo::joy::high5::clappy::muscles:

Oh, please let that possible soft opening date for SE be true!! That would be so cool!

Mufasa
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
You lucked out with landing a session with Jerold- an all around really nice guy who has been involved in a number of major attractions at WDW as a principal mechanical engineer.

Whenever there's a challenge to figure out just how to actually build something it usually falls on Jerold and his team to actually come up with a workable solution.

I think he was being a little generous with the 60% accurate figures on online rumors (but yes, the stuff that isn't true is quite laughable at times- makes great bulletin board posting material back in the project offices to see just what some people will post).

Now, as for World Showcase- some conceptual artwork was created for a Russia pavilion (last I can remember was stuff back over 15 years ago- around 1991)- but that stuff all gets filed away along with some of the other concepts/models for additional nations in world showcase (Denmark, Equatorial Africa).

Point is that there's always consideration being made for future expansion but as Jerold mentioned it often comes down to funding but at WDI we often see the ideas get recycled years later into a better concept.

Some of the artwork has been on display or you can find references to them in a few books that feature Imagineering artwork (A Brush with Disney: An Artist's Journey which features a lot of artwork by Herb Ryman comes to mind).

Strmchsr
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
You lucked out with landing a session with Jerold- an all around really nice guy who has been involved in a number of major attractions at WDW as a principal mechanical engineer.

He mentioned he was only available every 6-8 weeks, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity. It was fascinating to have the time to talk with him.

Mufasa
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
He mentioned he was only available every 6-8 weeks, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity. It was fascinating to have the time to talk with him.

Jerold is one of those people you meet who sort of frightens you with their intelligence but not in an intimidating way. It's more like the mad genius sort of thing.

For example, when Illuminations was in development it was Jerold along with a few other Imagineers that basically went into an open area across from their offices and got a whole bunch of different nozzles and random things like cooking woks and who knows what else and decided to hook them up to a propane feed and set them on fire to see what shapes they could get from the flames out of different fittings- picture a group of grown adults acting like excited pyromaniac teenagers and well... the Inferno barge was born.

Of course the difference between teenage pryo and someone like Jerold is once they discover that "hey, pump a whole bunch of propane through a nozzle and light it on fire and it looks really cool" is how you can control it and keep it safe. But there are times when they're working on something that you might hear something and look over in the direction of those guys and see a crazed look in their eyes and an evil grin and just shake your head.

Always makes for a fun place to work ;)

ToDisney
12-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Jerold is one of those people you meet who sort of frightens you with their intelligence but not in an intimidating way. It's more like the mad genius sort of thing.

For example, when Illuminations was in development it was Jerold along with a few other Imagineers that basically went into an open area across from their offices and got a whole bunch of different nozzles and random things liking woks and who knows what else and decided to hook them up to a propane feed and set them on fire to see what shapes they could get from the flames out of different fittings- picture a group of grown adults acting like excited pyromaniac teenagers and well... the Inferno barge was born.e cook
Of course the difference between teenage pryo and someone like Jerold is once they discover that "hey, pump a whole bunch of propane through a nozzle and light it on fire and it looks really cool" is how you can control it and keep it safe. But there are times when they're working on something that you might hear something and look over in the direction of those guys and see a crazed look in their eyes and an evil grin and just shake your head.

Always makes for a fun place to work ;)

:thumbsup:Fascinating! :eyes:

IloveDisney71
12-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I was so excited to read this on another site last night and now on this site this morning. I'm hoping I get a chance to ride since we will be there from the 15 - 20!

scoot241
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I read on another site that people are riding SSE today.

Figment!
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Limited Guest Previews reportedly started tonight (12/6) around 7:00 pm.

Ian
12-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Limited Guest Previews reportedly started tonight (12/6) around 7:00 pm.Oh MAN am I excited about that!!!

If they've already started, we're sure to get a chance over the next 8 or 9 days! Unless something goes terribly wrong, of course.

I'll make sure to post a full review if we do get the chance to check it out!

Figment!
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
**Please Note: The Article and Video below contain some mild spoilers of changes to the ride. Do not read below if you wish to be completely surprised**

Disney Makes Changes to Epcot's Spaceship Earth Attraction

Dewayne Bevil | Staff Writer
Orlando Sentinel
December 6, 2007

Epcot enthusiasts will have a ball again soon. Construction walls near Spaceship Earth, iconic sphere of the theme park, will fall sometime next week, after five months of refurbishment, Walt Disney World officials said. Inside are changes in content, new interactive components and enhancements of items that have marked the attraction since day one.

Its theme has shifted from communication through the ages to one of inspiration and innovation. The most recent script, read by Jeremy Irons, has been scrapped -- the new narrator is Oscar winner Judi Dench, whose words guide riders through the generations.

"The story is those building blocks that got us to today," said Bob Zalk, show producer. The plot winds through several scenes familiar to Spaceship Earth fans: the Egyptians, the burning of Rome (that smoky aroma remains), the Renaissance, the switchboard and more. All scenes up through the 1960s living room remain, but elements have been repositioned and upgraded. Each have new lights and costumes. Some Audio-Animatronics are increasingly lifelike.

"We've technologically updated the figures so they can move around more than before," said Eric Jacobson, senior vice president of Walt Disney Imagineering. "That's something we couldn't do in the '80s." Especially striking are a Greek teacher and a Roman soldier.

Fresh content is most apparent as riders near the top of the sphere. New sets representing the invention of the computer mainframe and the garage where the personal computer was developed lead to the darkened, downward second half of the experience. As the cars coast down the rail, passengers answer seven questions about their future on a touch screen. (Do you prefer the journey or the destination? While away, do you worry more about your home or your pet?) Answers are melded into a customized piece of retro-yet-futuristic cartoon for each row.

Other changes blend old and new. The revised living room steers attention to the 1969 moon landing on TV -- featuring reports from Walter Cronkite, a former narrator of Spaceship Earth.

"We think the traditionalists will be happy," Jacobson said.

Finishing touches continue, but a few Epcot visitors may get a peek before the official opening. Elements to come later include language options selected by passenger (a Disney first) and more post-show goodies, including a game called Power City and a big globe pinpointing where each day's visitors live.

Walt Disney World's Spaceship Earth at Epcot Goes Through Redesign (Video) (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/video/?slug=orl-wn-disneyvideo1207067)

poeticeclipse
12-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Thank you so much for that article!
I couldn't be more excited (and scared) for what SE has become.

Palmetto Mickey
12-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm excited about the changes to the show, presentation, etc., but one thing I haven't read about is the ride mechanism itself. Anyone have info on a potentially smoother, quieter trip through time?

mcjaco
12-07-2007, 11:16 AM
It's my understanding that they did not makes any chages to the trackwork, or the ride elements of the omnimovers. They've just added touch screens, and audio to them.

From what I've read, the ride is still quite bumpy and noisy. Which makes sense. If they had decided to retrack the ride, the update would have been much longer.

dudeman1975
12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I like the clunk clunk of the track, makes it feel like an old original ride, which Disney is moving away from these days. Love the updates, does anyone know if they still have the Extra Extra read all about it, scene.

Thank You:mickey:

Crow
12-07-2007, 10:50 PM
a friend is going to WDW Sat night, so i sorta told him about the soft opening...
you get to hear Judi Dench
he says what? i guess shes ok...why would i hear her? then i went on to say you get to smell Rome burning...he finally got it and was excited that he may get to see it. i told him to keep checking to see if he could get in.
it will be a few months til i get to see it though

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Wow! I really, really hope I can ride it on my upcoming trip...probably not, but I can dream ;)