PDA

View Full Version : GF fan at the Poly???

disneyluva
11-30-2007, 08:53 PM
We are huge GF fans (i think no resort is better at WDW). However, we are planning a trip for Oct and are considering the Poly - it's the only monorail hotel we haven't stayed at yet, and would like to complete the trifecta. Will we be disappointed since we're used to the GF? I've been to eat at the Poly on every trip to WDW, and have found it to look a little run down. Are the rooms nice since the renovations - or run down looking.

I don't want to offend any Poly fans out there - it is a beautifully themed resort. Just want honest opinions.

Thanks

KAT1811
11-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I have no personal experience input for you as I am currently debating both hotels for our next trip but it seems like you might have answered your own question. You feel that the hotel has a "run down" feel to it so that feeling could be amplified if you indeed stay there instead of your beloved GF. IMHO if you love the GF so much stay there but, depending on the length of your stay maybe you could do a trial run on the Poly and stay a night or two just to try it. Then, if you like what you experience, try it on your next trip for the whole time, and if you don't care for it then your entire vacation isn't clouded by a poor hotel experience.

I've considered splitting our stay but moving hotels with three children might not be so much fun for us, still a possibility but I'm not sold on the idea yet. Good luck in your decision.

SBETigg
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
We've stayed at both. The GF is our absolute favorite, feels like home to us since our GF honeymoon yeeeears ago. We tried the Poly in 05, because our kids wanted to try it. They fell in love with the Poly. We liked it very much. Our room was an older room and we still liked it a lot, no problems.

The grounds are lush and tropical and you feel a little like you're vacationing at the islands even though, bam, there's the GF next door and the Castle across the lagoon. Your Poly vacation won't have quite the same feel as your GF vacation, but that doesn't mean it's not as good, just different.

You will glance across at the GF and think "Oh, next trip! We'll be back home!" But if you take enough trips it's a nice change and good to try something new. My feeling is that you won't be disappointed with the Poly but you will miss the GF. Plan to spend a few hours shopping or dining at the GF and you will feel a bit better about it.

krorx
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
We loved the Poly. I didn't get the feel it was run down at all. Our room was very nice, spacious and well appointed. Restaurants there are quite good. I don't think it would be a disappointment to you, but if you love GF, then I suppose that's where you should stay. It is certainly a beautiful resort. We are now Poly addicts. My kids, 20 and 16, don't want to stay anywhere else now.

pox24
12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
My wife and I were there last month. It was fabulous. It was our 4th stay there. The first since room renovations. :thumbsup:

disneyluva
12-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanx so much for the feed back - I think we'll try it!!

PetefromRI
12-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm with KAT1811.Stay at the Poly2 or 3 nights and then switch to the GF.We love the Poly and the GF just doesn't do it for us.I think everyone just has a theme that their looking for.I'm sure that the GF is no better or worse than the Poly or Y&B,just different.