PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading complementary tickets?

Iluvpooh
11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
I just received complementary 1 day tickets from WDW as a comp for a really bad mistake that happened on our last trip. Can I upgrade them at guest services for APs or other multi-day tickets. I know that it can be done with bought tickets, but I wasn't sure about "free" tickets. If I can't upgrade them they are of little use to me as the price difference between 5 and 6 day tickets is like $1. I will have to buy at least a 5 day ticket for our 6 day trip.

Thanks.
BTW-I called WDW ticketing and no one could give me the answer to this one.

DizneyRox
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
The value of comp tickets is zero (which is the purchase price of free tickets), and that's the trade up value that will be offered.

Enjoy them for what they are. I use them for weekend getaways, etc.

King Triton
11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
My understanding is the same as that of DisneyRox. Technically, their value is $0 and they can not be upgraded.

You are correct that the cost difference between, say a 5 day ticket and a 6 day is negligible, so if the comp ticket isn't dated, you should probably hold on to it in case you have a better use for it someday.

WishingStar2006
11-30-2007, 02:22 PM
That's right....those comp tickets have no value and they cannot be upgraded, added to or anything...face value, only. Very disappointing.

You might want to mention to Disney that your "compensation for something that didn't go so right" isn't much of a compensation...see what they say!

cajunprincess
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I have tried to upgrade a "comp" ticket before as well, and the value of the ticket is $0. They didn't even let me transfer them to my room key card so that I didn't have to carry 2 cards around with me. Very disapointing. :confused:

Here we go again...
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Comp and special priced tickets are not worth much...
A few years ago we got 4 day park hoppers from Hilton with our Hilton Honors points. I thought they would be worth the same amout as paying (I payed a fortune in points!) for them so I went to customer service to have them upgraded to APs.
They made the upgrade then told us we owed something crazy like $300 per ticket. The AP at that time was only about $75 more. When I told them never mind, I would keep the tickets and just purchase what we needed because it was not worth it we were told "sorry, too late" you other tickets have already been de-activated".
I did not know then that I could have stood my ground and called a supervisor. We just paid $900 and got our APs.

Iluvpooh
11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh well they don't expire until 2030. You never know, I might actually use them one day, but I would have much rather have had the $125 back that they owed me. Even if the 3 tickets are worth over $200.

DizneyRox
11-30-2007, 10:09 PM
... I would have much rather have had the $125 back that they owed me. Even if the 3 tickets are worth over $200.
Actually, they are worth $0 as stated above. Disney will rarely (and I have yet to see it, but hear it does happen once in a blue moon) provide any sort of refund. Things are always comp'd as they are really giving nothing away.

I'd say about 95% of the "dreams" have no monetary value whatsoever. It's an ingenius marketing gimick!

Iluvpooh
11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
This was not a dream somebody at WDW messed up big time. (IMO anyway)
We had MNSSHP party tickets for Oct. 30th. I got very sick and we didn't go. We asked at guest services the next day about going to the Oct. 31st party. I was told that it was sold out so we could go to the Nov. 2nd party. We did. It wasn't until a week later that we realized that my credit card was CHARGED for the Nov 2tickets. We thought they were being nice about our not being able to go to the other party, but no. Since there is no cancelation policy on special events they wouldn't give us our money back for the Oct 30th party and since we went to the Nov 2nd party. They wouldn't give me the money back for that either so they sent me 3 tickets instead of our money back for the Halloween party tickets.
And now I find out they are basically 3 tickes I can't use. Especially since I got APs this year.

DizneyRox
12-01-2007, 07:48 AM
I didn't mean to say that it was a dream, just pointing out the value of the current promotion.

I kindof understand what they did. I'm a little confused as to how they charged a card though without your knowledge. From what I understand, they don't have a credit card imprint on the previous MNSSHP purchase they could use to charge the new tickets. You might be able to handle this through your credit card company as it should be up to Disney to provide a signature in order to validate the charges.

THere is no cancellation policy though on the event, you are right. They get held rain or shine and unless they cancel, those tickets must be used or they become worthless.

Glad you got to see the party on the 2nd. MNSSHP is probably the best after hours (additional purchase required) event they hold. Much better than MVMCP in my humble opinion.

TheRustyScupper
12-01-2007, 10:31 AM
1) Comp tickets have no (zero $) value
. . . can't be refunded
. . . can't be upgraded
2) They are a good deal for WDW, and given out pretty freely.
. . . they cost hardly anything to print
. . . WDW gets an extra person to buy food/souvenirs
. . . the guest usually feels they got a great deal for their complaint
3) But, as pointed out, 5th and 6th days are almost free anymore.
4) Comp tickets are almost useless, unless
. . . you do a quick weekend
. . . you have several and use them in lieu of a multi-day ticket

vamaggie
12-01-2007, 02:36 PM
And now I find out they are basically 3 tickes I can't use. Especially since I got APs this year.

I can think of a lot of ways to use them:
1) use them on a short weekend trip (pay for 1 day, play for 2)
2) plan your next trip for when your APs are expiring and get an extra day in the parks for free (then renew your APs the next day)
3) give them to a family member/friend who may not be able to get to WDW often
4) donate them to a charity/school to use for a fundraiser event

WishingStar2006
12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
4) donate them to a charity/school to use for a fundraiser event

That's how I got mine...a silent auction type of thing and someone had donated them...I didn't realize at the time that they didn't have any real value if you were staying for more than a couple of days. But since yours don't exipire until 2030....you have lots of years to decide what to do with them....using them at the end of your AP is a good suggestion as well.

Just don't be like me and forget where you put them....:blush: