PDA

View Full Version : terrible news {Cast Member Passes Away After Falling from Ride Platform} [Merged]

A Big Kid
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Message originally posted by A Big Kid on 11-29-2007 at 12:33 PM:

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has confirmed to News 13 that an Animal Kingdom worker who was injured on the job has died.

Disney said that over the weekend the worker was operating the Primeval Whirl roller-coaster at Animal Kingdom when she fell from a ride platform and hit her head.

The worker was taken to the hospital, and Disney said it learned Wednesday that her condition has gotten worse.

The company said the ride was working normally at the time and that the worker went into an area where she wasn't supposed to.

Deputies and OSHA are investigating what happened.

There is a discrepency about exactly when the unidentified woman died. The Sheriff's Office told News 13 Thursday morning that the woman was still alive. However, OSHA said that the woman may have already been dead when Disney called them Wednesday.

OSHA regulations say that a company must contact them less than 8 hours after the company finds out about a death.

Disney has not yet commented on the death.

The last time a Disney worker died was in February 2004 when Javier Cruz, 28, was run over by a parade float at the Magic Kingdom while he was playing Pluto.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message updated by Figment! on 11-29-2007 at 1:27 PM:

Central Florida 13 posted this update:
OSHA Retracts Confirmation Of Disney Worker's Death

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:59:25 PM

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration may have given News 13 incorrect information. They now say they cannot confirm that an Animal Kingdom worker who was injured on the job has died.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message updated by Figment! on 11-29-2007 at 4:08 PM:

Orlando Sentinel Reports Cast Member is in 'Grave Condition' (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1484596&postcount=3)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message updated by Figment! on 11-29-2007 at 10:50 PM:

Orlando Sentinel Updates That the Cast Member has Passed Away (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1484950&postcount=12)

faline
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
How sad.

Figment!
11-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Disney worker in 'grave condition' after falling from ride platform

Central Florida In Brief
Orlando Sentinel
November 29, 2007

A Walt Disney World employee remains hospitalized in 'grave condition' after falling from a ride platform Saturday at Animal Kingdom.

The female employee, 63, was hit by a moving car on Primeval Whirl, a roller-coaster-like ride, and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, said Jacquee Polak, Disney spokeswoman.

Polak did not release the worker's name.

The woman was working as a ride attendant and moved into an area on the ride platform that is prohibited while the ride is moving, Polak said. She fell and hit her head after being hit by the moving ride.

The victim's family contacted Disney officials Wednesday and said the woman's condition had worsened, Polak said.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating and the Orange County Sheriff's Office was notified of the incident, Polak said. A sheriff's spokesman said he could not find a report of the incident Wednesday night.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Either way, this is horrible news...and to have incorrectly been reported as dead...I just can't imagine!

goofysbabe
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
How terrible - my prayers & thoughts are with the family.

RedheadWriter
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
awful news

GrumpyFan
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Wow, that's sad. I hope she recovers.

DizneyFreak2002
11-29-2007, 07:14 PM
This is horrible news... But, really... How can they say one minute she died, then turn around and say OPPS MAYBE NOT... That's terrible... Before releasing information, they shoudl make sure they HAVE the RIGHT information...

If she hasn't passed on, I hope she recovers... if she passed, then this is one tragic accident...

MinnieMommie
11-29-2007, 07:45 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with this woman and her loved ones.

IloveDisney71
11-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh my goodness, I can't believe they would say someone had died without being sure!
This is very sad. If she is still alive, I hope she recovers. I will say a prayer for her and her family.

Deesdisney
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
My familys thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

*Liz*
11-29-2007, 08:41 PM
OrlandoSentinel.com
Disney worker dies after falling from ride platform
Bianca Prieto

Sentinel Staff Writer

8:05 PM EST, November 29, 2007

A Disney employee who fell from a ride platform over the weekend died Thursday evening, according to Disney officials.

"Our sympathies are with the family tonight," said Jacquee Polak, Disney spokeswoman. "We offer them our support during this difficult time."

The woman, who was in her 60s, was a ride attendant on the Primeval Whirl, a roller coaster type ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom. She stepped into a prohibited area on a platform and was hit by a moving car.

She fell and hit her head, Polak said.

The woman's name was not released, at the family's request, Polak said.

Earlier in the day, several local news outlets reported that the woman had died, though that information was erroneous.

The Occupational Safety and Heath Administration was at Disney today to inspect the ride, Polak said.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is also investigating.

Crow
11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
thats terrible
another sad happening

Figaro
11-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Horrible news to hear she has passed. My thoughts go out to her family.

joanna71985
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
The poor CM.:( Thoughts and prayers going out to the family.

Wannagoback
11-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Looks like she was standing in the wrong place and was struck by one of the cars and knocked off the ride..... Very sad to have this happen at any time not to mention during the holidays... :(

Link to story (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-metcfbriefs29x_0207nov29,0,6924065.story)

*Note* Just noticed this is posted in the news, rumor section... Sorry about the double post.

DisneyGiant
11-30-2007, 12:05 AM
So sad - what a terrible accident.

My prayers are with her family.

BelleandtheBeast
11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
That is so sad, my heart goes out to her family and friends.

BelleandtheBeast
11-30-2007, 12:17 AM
So sad, my heart goes out to her family and friends. This is so tragic and to happen during the holidays just worsens it.

ToDisney
11-30-2007, 12:36 AM
My prayers and sympathy to her family.

realtreebar
11-30-2007, 12:41 AM
sad to hear to bad she was killed!

GothMickey
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Sad news. Are reports that she was in a prohibited spot on the ride true?

Polynesian Dweller
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Indeed, sad news, something one doesn't want to hear in any work place.

Every report on the Orlando media (Wesh, WFTV, local6 etc) is that she was in a restricted area and should not have been there. That will likely be the big questions, why was she there and how did she get there? Answering those will help them make things safer.

I feel sad for the family, especially at this time of year.

Beach Club Babe
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
My sincere condolences to her family!

catsmommy555
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Wow, my kids were told by cm's that someone had hurt their back when they were waiting in line to ride. My DH and I had gone on right before them as they waited with the little ones who couldn't ride. I remember the lady who was getting you in your seats was around the same age. Thats so sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Ms.Disney
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
This is terrible news, our prayers are with her family.

MOJoe
11-30-2007, 02:49 PM
With all the concerns about safety these days, it is hard to understand how this might have happened. Nevertheless, i feel such sorrow for everyone involved. This is indeed terrible news, and a tragedy.

DisneyTwirler13!
11-30-2007, 05:46 PM
What a terrible thing to happen!!
My thoughts and prayers are with that family.
What a terrible way to lose a family member, especially one who worked to make sure that others could enjoy themselves at theme parks! :(

DizneyFreak2002
11-30-2007, 08:04 PM
I really want to congratulate the people of Intercot... After reading all these posts, you all showed nothing but true sadness and were completely civil and classy... other sites I been on have already called for the closure of Dinorama, and the blame game has started being tossed... Of course, none of the fanboys blame Disney... they blame the media for reporting the incident.... I am glad I am not seeing any of this on this site... Once again, Intercot members have risen above the rest and showed how great you all are...

Let's keep her and her family and friends in our prayers, and remember how fickle life really is.... This is such a terrible accident... especially at the holiday times... :(

d_m_n_n
12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
How sad for the family. I've said a prayer for everyone who loved and cared for the CM. Also, prayers for those individuals which possibly witnessed such a tragic accident. :(

EPCOT84
12-01-2007, 12:29 PM
This is horrible news... But, really... How can they say one minute she died, then turn around and say OPPS MAYBE NOT... That's terrible... Before releasing information, they shoudl make sure they HAVE the RIGHT information...

If she hasn't passed on, I hope she recovers... if she passed, then this is one tragic accident...

Sometimes in a breaking story, the media is too quick to get the story out first and so you will hear conflicting stories. It happens in every major news event.

My heart and prayers go out to the CM's family and to her co-workers on their loss.

EPCOT84
12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I really want to congratulate the people of Intercot... After reading all these posts, you all showed nothing but true sadness and were completely civil and classy... other sites I been on have already called for the closure of Dinorama, and the blame game has started being tossed... Of course, none of the fanboys blame Disney... they blame the media for reporting the incident.... I am glad I am not seeing any of this on this site... Once again, Intercot members have risen above the rest and showed how great you all are...

Let's keep her and her family and friends in our prayers, and remember how fickle life really is.... This is such a terrible accident... especially at the holiday times... :(

I am in agreement that Intercot holds high standards of ethics, like Disney itself. I also appreciate the style of the Intercot site. It focuses on the words, what we write to each other, rather than big, loud, blinking graphics, avatars, and signatures of other Disney fan boards.

Again my heart and prayers go out to the CM's family, co-workers and all who have been affected by this tragic turn of events.

pdrlkr
12-01-2007, 05:31 PM
That is so sad. :(

WDWdriver
12-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Many initial media reports are inaccurate, as this one was. Karen was was working in an authorized area at the unload platform where guests exit the ride. A mistake was made, and she was injured as a result. I cannot provide any more details here.

Most of our rides can be dangerous to the operators, simply because they involve moving vehicles in confined areas. Disney takes great pains to insure the CMs are properly trained and aware of the dangers. But accidents can and do happen. As with all such incidents, Disney will take steps to minimize the possibility of it happening again on this type of ride.

Thank you, Intercotees, for maintaining your focus where it belongs - sadness for the loss of a Cast Member, and concern for her husband and family members.

mickey&missy
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Terrible news. My sincere condolences go out to her family and friends.

trackbarroness
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of another CM. This is very sad news

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-07-2007, 09:38 PM
My sympathies to the family of this CM. How tragic especially at this time of year.

murphy1
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
How awful, I'm so sad, My oldest dd loves this ride.I'm pretty sure she was working the ride in Oct when dd was riding by herself, she helped make sure she got in and out safely while we watched her ride, my dd was so proud. We know Jose over there, too, he gave my dd a certificate for her bday after we rode a couple times back in '05 and we saw him again in October. This is just tragic. We never know the reason it's someone's time to go, this is why you have to live your life to the fullest each and every day.