PDA

View Full Version : DLR vs. WDW

jonsmom
11-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi

While watching a Travel Channel special yesterday, my husband decided we should try DLR instead of WDW.

Knowing absolutely NOTHING about DLR, I am looking for some expert advise.

When is the best time to travel?

Is Summer generally humid, hot, crowded?

Which hotel do you prefer?

How many days in each park?

Which airport to fly into?

WDW offers Magical Express to resorts, does DLR offer this as well?

Thanks, any and all info is appreciated.

luvdiznee
11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
When we went to DLR it was in May and Oct. Weather was great both times not too hot or too cold. We never stayed on site but we were directly across from DLR. As far as their onsite resorts, they only have 3. I believe we flew into "John Wayne" international airport, in Anaheim. I could be wrong as far as the name but I know we did fly into Anaheim. IMO, 2 days at DL and 1 day at the Cali Park is enough. We did other things in California, so we did have a rental car for those things. As well as getting to and from the airport. :mickey:

AZ Disney
11-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Hello,
Disneyland is a wonderful place, but in many ways different than WDW. Since you'll be travelling across the country, I would suggest trying to do more than Disney since the Southern CA region is a great place.

When is the best time to travel? - After Labor Day up until mid December, mid January-early March.

Is Summer generally humid, hot, crowded? Not humid, but hot and crowded.

Which hotel do you prefer? We always stay off-site at DLR, such as Hampton Inn Suites in Garden Grove or one of the Embassy Suites.

How many days in each park? Really depends on time of year, but if you go in the suggested off season that I mentioned above you could completely cover both parks with 3day park hoppers.

Which airport to fly into? LAX, Ontario, or Orange County.

WDW offers Magical Express to resorts, does DLR offer this as well? Don't believe so, but you would definitly want a rent a car. Anaheim has a bus service to the parks that is really great (ART), something like that and it works great, but you'd still want a car.

Other reccomeded Excursions:

Beach (so many to choose from)
Hollywood Area
Universal Studios Hollywood
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Legoland

Costco sells this combo ticket:
The Southern California CityPass® gets you six days of admission to the area’s most popular attractions – all at one price! CityPass® delivers a savings of over 25% and 14 days to take it all in. All you have to do is simply present your booklet at each attraction, the agent will exchange your coupon with a ticket.

Southern California CityPass® Information:

Ages: 3 - 9 (Child) $174
Ages: 10 and up (Adult) $217
Admission to the following six attractions:
3-day Disneyland® Resort Park Hopper® Bonus Ticket* valid for admission to both Disneyland® Park and Disney’s California Adventure® Park
1-day admission ticket to SeaWorld Adventure Park® San Diego
1-day admission ticket to the San Diego Zoo® or San Diego Zoo® Wild Animal Park
1-day admission ticket to Universal Studios Hollywood™©
Booklet expires 14 days past date of first use
First day of use must occur by January 5, 2009

NotaGeek
11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
When we went to DLR it was in May and Oct. Weather was great both times not too hot or too cold. We never stayed on site but we were directly across from DLR. As far as their onsite resorts, they only have 3. I believe we flew into "John Wayne" international airport, in Anaheim. I could be wrong as far as the name but I know we did fly into Anaheim. IMO, 2 days at DL and 1 day at the Cali Park is enough. We did other things in California, so we did have a rental car for those things. As well as getting to and from the airport. :mickey:
Be sure and check the top of this forum for some really good travel ideas put together by your hard working Moderators. Also, if you search this forum you will find lots of answers to your questions. The Trip Report thread might also give you some good insight.

BrerGnat
11-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Crowded. YES!!! Hot?...warm is more like it. It occasionally gets heat wave hot (like 95-100) but in general, highs in Anaheim in June, July, and August average 85. Humidity is non existent to people who are coming from the east coast. ;)

I prefer the Grand Californian. I figure, if you are going to make such a long trip, you might as well do it all out. I have stayed at the GCH twice and the Paradise Pier once. The PP hotel was acceptable, but inconvenient to the parks (a LOONG walk). I hear the DLH is great, but I personally don't like how most of the amenities are located in a central courtyard and there are three buildings with rooms. Too much in and out for me. We like to keep it simple, but we have very young kids (1 and 3 years old) so convenience is #1 for us. We are lucky enough to live about 10 minutes away, though, so the hotel stays are something we do as a real treat just once in awhile.

For a first timer, especially if you are thinking of the summer, you need to give yourself about 4 full days there to be able to see/do everything JUST at DLR. Sure, you can knock out the headliners in a day , but you will really miss out if you skip over all the unique entertainment at DLR.

SNA (John Wayne Orange County). It's the closest and it's easiest to get to DLR from this airport. It is located in Santa Ana, NOT Anaheim as someone previously posted. There is no airport in Anaheim. SNA is approx 15 min from DLR. There is a Disneyland Express bus available from the airport to DLR. This bus is also available from LAX (Los Angeles). LAX is about 30-45 min from DLR, depending on traffic.

See above. I don't think they do the whole luggage collection thing, but there definitely IS a bus from the airport to the DLR. I am not sure it's free though.

jonsmom
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Be sure and check the top of this forum for some really good travel ideas put together by your hard working Moderators. Also, if you search this forum you will find lots of answers to your questions. The Trip Report thread might also give you some good insight.

I am having some difficulty finding the travel ideas on this board.

Not meaning to compare, but the WDW boards have more info and seem to be posted frequently.

Thank you all for the great advice. Its very overwhelming & I feel like I am going to a different country.

I like the pass that they sell at Costco. That sounds perfect.

Melanie
11-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Not meaning to compare, but the WDW boards have more info and seem to be posted frequently.

Michael is referring to the stickied threads at the top of this forum, regarding weather and crowd patterns. There is a lot of great information in these threads.

We are aware of the need to update the Disneyland information. There will hopefully be some progress soon and Disneyland section will be just as accessible, up-to-date and informative as the WDW section. :mickey:

NotaGeek
11-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. Its very overwhelming & I feel like I am going to a different country.

I like the pass that they sell at Costco. That sounds perfect.

Crowd Estimates (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115765)
Weather (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115888)

The best part of going to DLR is that it IS like a completely different country. It's very relaxed (for the most part), it's a quick walk between the 2 parks or any of the hotels at the DLR (and many of the Good Neighbor hotels) and it's small enough that's NOT overwhelming. Just breathe ... it's going to be fine!

jonsmom
11-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Michael is referring to the stickied threads at the top of this forum, regarding weather and crowd patterns. There is a lot of great information in these threads.

We are aware of the need to update the Disneyland information. There will hopefully be some progress soon and Disneyland section will be just as accessible, up-to-date and informative as the WDW section. :mickey:

Thank you - I will do some more looking around. You know how it is when you get used to other boards.

jonsmom
11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Crowd Estimates (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115765)
Weather (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115888)

The best part of going to DLR is that it IS like a completely different country. It's very relaxed (for the most part), it's a quick walk between the 2 parks or any of the hotels at the DLR (and many of the Good Neighbor hotels) and it's small enough that's NOT overwhelming. Just breathe ... it's going to be fine!

So, are you saying, its more laid back that WDW? That actually would be a nice change.

I did read some positive reviews on The Candy Cane Inn. It looks very nice, not too expensive and it includes breakfast.

Is there a DDP at Disneyland? I tried to get some prices on the Disneyland website, but was confused by their offerings of 3, 4 , 5 day meal plans. What does that include?

Character breakfasts are more?

Transportation to hotels is not included either I gather?

How far away would Universal Studios be?

Is it neccessary to rent a car?

Thanks

Melanie
11-29-2007, 08:56 PM
So, are you saying, its more laid back that WDW? That actually would be a nice change.

Most definitely! It's such a nice change of pace.

I did read some positive reviews on The Candy Cane Inn. It looks very nice, not too expensive and it includes breakfast.

I've heard only good reviews on the Candy Cane. I'd suggest searching in the Accomodations forum for related threads. We've also stayed at the Fairfield Inn Anaheim. Very nice, very close (easy walk) and reasonable rates. On site, I prefer the Disneyland Hotel, especially for first time visitors.

Is there a DDP at Disneyland? I tried to get some prices on the Disneyland website, but was confused by their offerings of 3, 4 , 5 day meal plans. What does that include?

I don't know a lot of information on the Dining Plan Disneyland offers, but I do know that I've heard time and again that it's not worth it. I'm sure others will come along with more information.

Character breakfasts are more?

Yes, they tend to cost a bit more than at WDW.

Transportation to hotels is not included either I gather?

No, it's not included. I recommend the Disneyland Express (hhttp://graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm), operated by Gray Line.

How far away would Universal Studios be?

Is it neccessary to rent a car?

If you are wanting to do a lot of sightseeing outside of the Disneyland Resort, it would probably be a good idea to rent a car. I don't have a lot of experience with this since I tend to go straight to the resort then don't leave the area the entire time. :blush:

There are many, many differences in planning a trip to WDW and Disneyland. The resorts operate independently of each other. Asking your questions here is a great start! :mickey:

jonsmom
11-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Unlike going to WDW, where we never need to rent a car, everything we need to see is right there, there seems to be an awful lot of other things to see/do in that area. Maybe renting a car after we visit Disneyland would be a great idea.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions-you have been so helpful.

Aisling
11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
You asked about Universal Studios and how far it is, I would say about 45 minutes with traffic. Of course, if you drive in L.A. then you need to expect traffic at any time of day and/or night.

San Diego is about an hour and fifteen minutes to your south,

If you are just going to the parks, I wouldn't rent a car, but if you want to venture out, you'll do well to have one.

And I agree with (I think Melanears) that Disneyland is very laid back. Casual Southern California. We try not to take ourselves too seriously here and just have a good time.

My favorite time of year for weather is in October. Cool days and beautiful blue skies. From January to March it's nice, but the weather is tricky. It might be overcast all day and gloomy, or rainy. We get most of our rain in those few months. June is also gloomy (hence the moniker, June Gloom) and lately it seems that July is getting gloomy too. August is just horrid. Why people travel here and go to Disneyland in August is beyond me. Too hot, too crowded, too sticky. Yuck. (just a side note here, I live on the coast so anything over mid-70's is hot to me). :cool:

Now, if you can swing it, come out in the early part of December. That's my favorite time to go to the parks. All the decorations are up, it isn't crowded, the weather is great and it just puts you into such a fabulous mood for the holidays! Disneyland at Christmas is too magical for words.

A word on the hotels, GCH is my all-time favorite, but pricey so it's a 'special treat' to stay there. If you stay on-site, get rooms at the Disneyland Hotel. Even if you come in December, the pools are heated and fun to play around in and the decorations are very Disney. GCH is more 'rustic cabin' and not as Mickey Disney. A higher-up room in the, I think it's called the Magic tower now (used to be Sierra) facing Downtown Disney is awesome. You can see Disneyland, hear cool funky music late into the night and watch people stroll Downtown Disney. Don't bother with the Paradise Pier. It's fun and beachy, but too far away.

Hope this helps (and makes sense!) I've never been to WDW so I can't compare, but from what I've seen on the Travel Channel, it looks like WDW is huge and like a giant city all around itself. DL is tiny in comparison and smack in the middle of a city. When friends and family visit, I get a lot of, wow, it's just right there off the freeway! I think they expect to be off the beaten track, which it's not. But once inside the park, or at the hotels or DTD, you completely forget that half a block away is the convention center and a teeming mass of humanity!

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Melanie
11-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Don't bother with the Paradise Pier. It's fun and beachy, but too far away.

This I will respectfully disagree with. I've always enjoyed my stays there, and don't think it's too far away at all. I honestly don't understand when folks say that, but everyone has their opinions. :shrug: It's Disney - I expect to walk.

NotaGeek
11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
You can see Disneyland, hear cool funky music late into the night and watch people stroll Downtown Disney. Don't bother with the Paradise Pier. It's fun and beachy, but too far away.

Too far away?

Paradise Pier is actually the same distance from everything, including the other hotels at DLR. It's a great option for those that want a less expensive chance to try a Disneyland Resort Hotel. It has WONDERFUL views of California Adventure.

For great hotels off resort, check out the Ramada Inn Maingate, The Best Western Park Place Inn and The Fairfield Inn Disney. They are all right across the street from the main entrance of the park, and technically the Best Western is closer to the front gate than any of the Disneyland Resort Hotels.

BrerGnat
11-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Too far away?

Paradise Pier is actually the same distance from everything, including the other hotels at DLR. It's a great option for those that want a less expensive chance to try a Disneyland Resort Hotel. It has WONDERFUL views of California Adventure.

Uh, I have to agree that it's TOO far away! ;)

I'm gonna be difficult, though, and say that I also think the DLH is too far away! Of course it's not LITERALLY a long distance, but at the end of the day, it's like choosing to walk back to the parking structure or taking the tram when you are visiting for the day. Which one are you going to do? For the record, the parking structure is practically same distance from the main gate as the Paradise Pier hotel is and that's a LONG walk on tired feet. We stayed there and also at the GCH and the ability to be in your hotel room in less than 5 minutes from leaving the park is worth a LOT to us! Everyone is different, though, and I agree that if the distance thing is not an issue for you, the PPH is a fabulous place to stay on property. I think it's a great bargain, actually. The rooms are HUGE and it certainly has some excellent views. :thumbsup:

Melanie
11-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Ok then, I'll say that the amount of money you pay to stay at the Grand Californian is not worth a shorter walk for me, since that's about the only advantage I see to staying there. One can enjoy the restaurants, bar and shop without staying there, and that's fine with me. And one can use the exclusive entrance as a guest of either Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. The room I went in was way small, and have no desire to stay in a room overlooking Downtown Disney. I just don't think I'll ever be sold on Grand Californian unless the price comes down, and we all know that won't happen.

Aisling
11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
When I said PPH was too far away, I meant from all the action in Downtown Disney! One of the things my family loves most about staying in one of the hotels is that we are right there in the action. We've had rooms that overlooked the park at GCH and also rooms that overlooked the pool at DLH and we just prefer the DTD rooms. Just our thing, I guess. Everything at Disneyland is a walk, so I didn't mean distance. We had a room at the PPH where we could open our window and see and hear the Electrical Parade every night and that was fun, but we felt detached from the action. That's what I meant. :blush: Sorry for the confusion.

BrerGnat
12-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Ok then, I'll say that the amount of money you pay to stay at the Grand Californian is not worth a shorter walk for me, since that's about the only advantage I see to staying there. One can enjoy the restaurants, bar and shop without staying there, and that's fine with me. And one can use the exclusive entrance as a guest of either Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. The room I went in was way small, and have no desire to stay in a room overlooking Downtown Disney. I just don't think I'll ever be sold on Grand Californian unless the price comes down, and we all know that won't happen.

True, true. I, of course, speak as someone who just paid $279/night at GCH for a concierge deluxe room (AP rate)...I guess my idea of "value" is not realistic for everyone. The rack rate for that same room was $580 and you can bet your bottom dollar that I would NEVER pay that amount!

It's just hard to have a negative opinion of the GCH when you are fortunate enough to score such a good rate on a room there. I really do feel that the GCH has come a long way since a few years ago, when we first stayed there. Back then, I would have called the GCH overpriced and overhyped, but they have really stepped up the quality of the rooms and service as of late.

Our recent stay in October was the best experience we've ever had at ANY Disney hotel, period. The price we paid was icing on the cake.

Carol
12-04-2007, 09:07 AM
So, are you saying, its more laid back that WDW? Oh my goodness - yes!!

I went to Disneyland for the first time last year. We live in New York and own points in the Disney Vacation Club at Walt Disney World. I like to go to Disney twice a year - so it only makes sense to vacation on the east coast.

One of the things on my 'to do list' before I was obsolete was to visit Walt's original park. (I am not a fan of flying long distances - so this took awhile. ;) ) I made it happen last year. You can read my trip report here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=90362).

I was blown away - so much so I returned this summer with my youngest son. AND I have 2 trips planned for 2008.

The relaxed pace, entertainment and closeness to everything is awesome. I was there for 8 days the first trip and returned for another 8 days this last time. We stayed on-site and never left the property. We found plenty to do - it's called relaxing ...... and loving the the Billys and Miners.

We utilized the Disneyland Express bus service. (Mel provided you with the link) and flew into LAX. John Wayne is not an option for me with my airport. I like to fly nonstop and that's not possible unless I go into LAX. I was nervous flying into such a large airport - but it was not a problem at all.

I do not think any walking at Disneyland is far and would not hesitate to stay at Paradise Pier. Everything(place) is a hop-skip-jump compared to what you do at WDW. :rolleyes: My feet were very happy in California. I have to wear sneakers at WDW or my feet ache. Not so at Disneyland. I wore sandals every/all day. :D

My first 2 visits I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and LOVED it. I'll be staying at the Grand Californian in April - simply because I can use my DVC points. I have a feeling I'll be missing the Disneyland Hotel though. We'll see.

About the weather during the summer. It was bearable for this northeastern gal. The parks can feel very hot because of the concrete.

I'll be honest with you. I was in Walt Disney World mid October and it was dreadfully hot and humid. I kept thinking I wanted to be in Disneyland. In fact - I have no WDW trip planned in the near future. When I go back to Florida - it will be during the winter. I'm looking west for now. :D

jonsmom
12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for replying Polygirl. I have read many of your trip reports on the WDW board.

Like you I am also hesitant about flying across country. There is just something about flying from the Northeast (two hours) to WDW that has always made it more appealing.

I am very anxious to try it now, I wish I could find that special on the Travel Channel again.

We have the option of flying into John Wayne Airport from Providence, not direct, but that is okay. Prices also seem to be less that travelling to Orlando.

We have a week off in April but I dont think that is enough time, so I would like to go some time in August (not 2008) and plan on maybe 10 days, the 6 day Southern California ticket seems like an awesome value.

How about dining? I am so used to the dining plan that its hard to think outside of that box.

I look forward to reading your report.

Joanne

Melanie
12-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I am very anxious to try it now, I wish I could find that special on the Travel Channel again.

You are in luck!

Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes :balloon:
Explore the mystique of the world's first modern theme park and the most enduring icons on the American landscape. Gain access to off-limits places, such as the secret club concealed in the park, and enjoy Tinkerbell's view as she starts the fireworks.

Airing on The Travel Channel
Sunday, December 9 from 4:00pm – 5:00pm

jonsmom
12-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks Melanie - I did an hour by hour check with my online guide and made a reminder.

Is this the same special as last week?

Joanne

Melanie
12-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Is this the same special as last week?

Yes, it aired last week as well.

jonsmom
12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Thank You!

BrerGnat
12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
How about dining? I am so used to the dining plan that its hard to think outside of that box.

I can address this issue as someone with LOTS of experience with dining at WDW and Disneyland.

When it comes to Dining, I have to give the edge to WDW when it comes to diversity. There is simply MORE options because there are more locations. With that said, though, I find the QUALITY of the food to be better at Disneyland (specifically the counter service).

The dining plan at WDW is great. Disneyland has a "dining plan" but it is SO not the same at all, and I don't recommend it at all. Honestly, don't even bother looking into it. It's like comparing apples to elephants.

Disneyland does not have the "requirement" of making ADR's so far in advance. With LOTS of locals to cater to, most every restaurant on property takes walk ups and will be able to seat you within an hour, at most (longest waits are at the Downtown disney restaurants on weekends). The one exception to this is the Blue Bayou. if you want to eat here, you really need a reservation. This restaurant always books up. It's worth it, though! I highly recommend it for atmosphere and great food.

I would suggest exploring all that Disneyland has to offer where Dining is concerned. In general, the better options are outside the parks (hotels and Downtown Disney restaurants are very good). The great thing about DLR is that leaving the parks to eat is not the chore that it is at WDW.

As you decide on your trip dates, I hope you come back and ask more specific questions in the dining forum.

jonsmom
12-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your help Natalie, I will definitely let you know when our dates are set. I am a planner. I just love to plan vacations.

Is Blue Bayou appropriate for kids?

Would you recommend using the bus to get to DLR from the airport (I am planning on John Wayne airport) and then renting a car? Are there car rental options near DLR?

Right now, I am planning arriving and staying in DLR for 4 nights, then driving to San Diego. I would like to visit the Zoo and Sea World.

Do you think 2007 Southern California CityPass is a good value? It seems to be.

Thanks for all your help.

Joanne

tinkwest
12-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Is Blue Bayou appropriate for kids?
Kids will probably think it is fun to eat at Blue Bayou inside POTC. They have quite a few options on the children's menu.

Would you recommend using the bus to get to DLR from the airport (I am planning on John Wayne airport) and then renting a car?
If you know you are going to rent a car, I would think it would be best just to rent your car at the airport. It is a fairly short & easy drive from the airport to DLR. I have driven it and I am directionally challenged.

Right now, I am planning arriving and staying in DLR for 4 nights, then driving to San Diego. I would like to visit the Zoo and Sea World.
Do you think 2007 Southern California CityPass is a good value?
If you are really going to use it I would say it is a good value. If purchased separately, I think Sea World is about $60 for a one day pass and the Zoo around $30.

jonsmom
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks Linda, I was thinking today we could probably get a better rate for a weekly rental vs. a few days. By then, I am sure GPS will be available in all cars.

I am DLR challenged, so forgive any questions that sound dumb. There is a restaurant inside POTC?

Also, what can you tell me about driving along the Pacific Coast Highway? I have been hearing about this forever, might as well, who knows when we would get cross country again.

Carol
12-06-2007, 08:36 AM
There is a restaurant inside POTC?Yes. The Blue Bayou overlooks Pirates of the Caribbean - the same way San Angel does at Epcot's Mexico pavilion in WDW.

Very, very cool. :waycool:

BrerGnat
12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
First off, Blue Bayou is definitely kid friendly. They have a kids menu and the kids get pirate hats and cool placemats. It is not the type of restaurant that is loud and rowdy, though, so as long as your kids know how to behave in a "nice" restaurant, you'll be fine there. It's inside a park, though, so you don't have to dress up or anything at all (park clothes are expected).

The City Pass is an okay deal if you only want 3 days at Disneyland. That's all it includes. Sea World is pretty pricey as well. I would probably only recommend the City Pass if you want to ALSO go to Universal Hollywood.

Otherwise, buy your DLR hopper ticket separately from the Sea World and Zoo tickets. You may be able to purchase discounted tickets through AAA if you are a member.

I would recommend renting a car. I believe you have to pay for the bus from the airport to DLR, so you may as well use that money toward the car rental for the week and then you can have the flexibility to break up your DLR time with the San Diego time.

Click below for a listing of on site car rental companies at SNA.

http://www.ocair.com/groundtransport/rentalcars.htm

Driving to the DLR from the airport is SUPER easy. Also, driving down to San Diego from DLR is SUPER easy as well (only requires getting on one freeway the whole time). All you need to know is north vs. south.

Just for reference, there is a National Car rental office on Katella, less than one mile from the DLR main gate.

NotaGeek
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Just for reference, there is a National Car rental office on Katella, less than one mile from the DLR main gate.

There is also a rental car office right in Downtown Disney, just steps from the Disneyland Hotel.

Marilyn Michetti
12-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, I'll let you know. We leave early Sun. morning, and will be at the Candy Cane Inn, in a little under 48 hrs.:cloud9:

I've been to WDW 12 times, but never to DLR, even tho' it's only six hours away.:confused:

Crystal Palace
12-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi

While watching a Travel Channel special yesterday, my husband decided we should try DLR instead of WDW.

Knowing absolutely NOTHING about DLR, I am looking for some expert advise.

Thanks, any and all info is appreciated.

--The best time to travel would be anytime other than Spring Break, summer, or any major holiday.

--It's not very humid there. At least it's nothing like Florida! But you will get 90-100 degree days. My suggestion is to NOT go in the summer, if you can manage it.

--I prefer the Grand Californian, because it's the most convenient to both parks, but the other two are great also.

--I would stay four to five full days in the parks. That gives you plenty of time to see everything, and do your favorites over again.

--The John Wayne Airport in Orange County is the only airport I've flown into, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's small and easy to navigate.

--I don't know about a Magical Express, because we usually drove. The two times I flew, I went with my best friend, and we stayed off property.

Hope this helps!