PDA

View Full Version : January Dining Question!

Taam Hamms
11-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks to all who read. My First post in a long long time. I'm going back from Jan 4-10 and I'm on the DDP. I made a few Key reservations for myself but was thinking the other 3 nights I would just throw caution to the wind and try to walk into places :cool: The last 2 times i was in WDW it was in August and they were giving the DDP away for free so it was chaos. But I heard in the month of January its pretty dead..

:beer:So My Question Is...:beer:

Does anyone know if it would be alright for me to just try and walk up to resturants for my trip very early in the month of january (4-10) or should I make reservations to insure I have a good eat everynight?

ThanxForNoticin
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Experience says the crowds will be down, but the restaurants will still be busy. I believe you are talking about the week before the Disney Marathon. If you are just going to wing it a few evenings, if you are willing to eat non-prime time (perhaps eat early, around 4:30/5:00; or eat later, around 9:00), you should probably be fine. You might also want to have a "Plan B" that's located close by. There's also the food court option - we've eaten at the Pepper Market at CSR many trips because the ADR restaurants were full. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
I would make ADR's, just so you know you have somewhere to eat (other than CS). You can always cancel them, but I think you'll be surprised at how busy the restuarants are.

Even back on our first trip in 2004, we had to eat at some "off" times to get in to the TS places we wanted. It has only gotten busier since then, and I'd hate for you to end up not being able to enjoy DDP.

vamaggie
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Since you are on the DDP I would definately make ADRs for at least one TS meal each day to make sure you get the most bang for your (prepaid) buck. If you want to try to change your plans and wing it/walk up once you are there, you can always cancel the ADRs. Better to have and not need/want than to need/want and not have. Enjoy your trip!

Jared
11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Traditionally, the parks and restaurants are especially uncrowded in the beginning of January, but with the advent of the Disney Dining Plan, it's been so hard to secure a desirable meal even when trying to make Advance Dining Reservations months in advance.

So I definitely recommend calling and making arrangements, just in case. Even with a reservation you can still walk to a podium and inquire about availability, but the reservations provide security and stability, just in case everything else is already booked.

:tasty:

DizNee143
11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
i say just go with the flow...im sure you'll be able to find somewhere to eat...
if my parents were able to do that last year for there whole vacation the week before and during thanksgiving..you will have no problem doing it in january!!
hope you have a great time and eat some good food!! :mickey:

JPL
11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I would have to say you are going to encounter problems without ADRs especially with the more popular places. You might find some place to eat but chances are if you can still walk up to it and get seated at WDW you will regret that meal :sick:

Zimkeeper
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
About 2 weeks ago, we had to change our winter trip from December to January (4 through 12). After changing our ressies, I immediately called to book our ADR (we are also on DDP). I was able to get all but one ADR and that was LeCellier. The CM told me they had NOTHING for dinner the entire week and that lunch was also filling up. I opted to wait and called back every day for 4 days and finally got an 8:00 PM ADR.
We have been to WDW several times before at this time of year and have noticed thea the DDP has made it very difficult to just walk into our favorite places like we used to.

Since you are on the DDP I would definately make ADRs for at least one TS meal each day to make sure you get the most bang for your (prepaid) buck. If you want to try to change your plans and wing it/walk up once you are there, you can always cancel the ADRs. Better to have and not need/want than to need/want and not have. Enjoy your trip!
I have to agree with vamaggie.
Have a great trip!

jray21
12-03-2007, 01:45 AM
I just had to change my entire vacation by one week in January and was able to get every restaurant I wanted. So you shouldn't have too many problems. The earlier or later you eat, the better your chances. I second the idea of making all your reservations, and cancelling if you need to. There will always be people willing to take your spot. The popular places may be filled, but there are so many great, not so popular, places. Also, remember that Bistro de Paris takes reservations only 30 days in advance. Also, Restaurant Marrakesh has always been wide open for lunch when we go in January. Good Luck!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
12-03-2007, 01:13 PM
We're also going in January. I couldn't get certain times and dates for Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace. I imagine that's because they're so popular. I would call ahead just in case.

When we went last Jan, we changed our mind about a few of our ADRs. When I called to cancel and reschedule, nearly everything (that's more kid popular) was sold out.

tyandskyesmom
12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
We'll be there from the 1st to the 13th and I have made/cancelled/changed/added many ADRs since booking this trip. I have not had a problem with getting anything I wanted at the times I wanted except for Narcoossees on the 1st for dinner. I am hoping that means low crowds and ease of dining but if I were on the DDP I would definately make ADRs for someplace to get my money's worth...just in case!

29 more days!

mousketeers j and l
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
We will be there the week of January 4th as well and have visited this same week several times in the past. I would advise making priority seatings just to be sure you get in to all the places you want to visit. True, the crowds are down a bit but with all of the meal packages currently offered, most of the good eateries fill up fast! :mickey:

Have a great time and maybe we'll see you there! :thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
12-04-2007, 09:18 AM
We're going Jan 16-22 (over MLK weekend) and while I did not make ADR's for each day, I did make a few here and there. DH is going with DS and I for the entire trip this time (since I'll be about 5 mos. pregnant and don't think I can handle a 5 year old the whole week myself --I've been sickly) and DH likes to have a "plan". DS and I on the other hand just grab and go most of the time.

I was able to get ADR's for the places I asked for and also the times I asked for (H&V dinner on day one, CP on a Friday morning, Cali Grill on Sunday and Biergarten on Monday afternoon). I didn't ask about CM's b/c we have been there and while DS enjoyed himself, it was loud and we felt rushed there; LeCellier didn't wow either one of us before so we didn't try there either -- those are two of the more popular choices that fill up REAL fast.

I think if you make ADR's you will find that you were glad you did. And, if you change your mind you can always call to cancel them, which is what we will more than likely do with one or two of them.

Eating on the fly is good sometimes, but not always.

tyandskyesmom
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I recently decided to take on the Deluxe Dining plan for our January 1 - 13, 2008 and called today before having MJ add on the dining for ADRs. The only thing I could not get was Cinderella's Royal Table, but I did not really expect to. I even got the times I wanted. Now, I know my experience is by no means anythign to judge by but at 26 days out I was able to make 17 ADRs...

I added...
Yacht Club Galley - lunch
Citricos - dinner
Narcossee - dinner
1900 Park Fare - breakfast
Liberty Tree Tavern - lunch
Chefs de France - dinner
Mama Melrose - dinner
Crystal Palace - lunch
Grand Floridian Cafe - dinner
Cape May Cafe - breakfast
Tuskerhouse - breakfast
Yak & Yeti - lunch
Boma - dinner
Concorse Steakhouse - lunch
Flyin Fish - dinner
Tutto Italia - dinner

I already had ADRs for...

Tuskerhouse - lunch
Plaza - dinner (but I did change it to a later time today!)
Marrakesh - lunch
Hollywood & Vine - breakfast
Ohana - breakfast
Akershus - luhch
1900 Park Fare - dinner
Crystal Palace - breakfast
Kona Cafe - dinner
Le Cellier - lunch
Coral Reef - lunch
Chef Mickey's - breakfast

I know that sounds like a ton of eating!!!!

26 more days!!!!