View Full Version : What are these?

Disnamic Duo
11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
A couple weeks ago we stayed for the first time at POR (we loved it - beautiful resort). One afternoon we took the boat to DTD. Along the way we saw a bunch of buildings (looked like homes/cabins) that were pretty run-down looking. We thought they might be abandoned, but on the way back from DTD in the dark the lights were on and we saw people going in and out of them. Does anyone know what these are?

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
You may have seen what used to be the old Treehouse villas, a resort option from way back in WDW history. Now, they are used for housing of International program CMs, I believe.

There was something about them not being wheelchair accessible, maybe, that led to them being discontinued as a resort option? I think that was it. I also heard they had some ant problems. They were pretty neat, though. I never stayed there but I remember my mother considering them for our first WDW trip in '81.

cajunprincess
11-28-2007, 11:35 AM
We too, saw these cabins on a boatride to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans. I do remember our captian telling us that they are no longer in operation as a resort. The do however provide housing for one of Disney's programs. He told us wich one, but I don't remember. It was 4 years ago. The did look neat though!

#1donaldfan
11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
We've stayed at POR many times and each time we go to DtD on the boat our captain tells us the story. They are now used for college students and some execs from time to time. They used to be regular accomodations for resort guests. I don't remember the total content anymore, I just about half listen anymore....I just enjoy the ride to shopping.

nifty48
11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I was lucky enough to stay in the Treehouse Villas in 1996 and 2000. They were part of the Disney Institute which was torn down to make room for the Saratoga Springs Vacation Club Resort. They were really neat. They have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a kitchen and sitting area. The third bedroom was on the lower level. A circular staircase led down to it. Everything else was on the upper level. The themeing was very rustic. We enjoyed our stays there and were really disappointed when we realized they were no longer a resort option.

MMouse6937
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM
They were villas that guest used to be able to stay in, but they weren't able to be made handicapped friendly so they were closed down the general public. Now they are used for students on the college program. We also saw them from the boat ride to DTD while staying at POR. They were very neat to see, would love to be able to stay in one now!! :)

sleepingbooty
12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Yep, we saw those as well. Very retro-cool. Our boat captain told us that they house only the international students from the college program. I kept trying to get a better look in the windows to see how they were laid out.

Mollywobbles
12-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I think I remember one of the boat captains saying that the "treehouses" may be used again for guests some day. If that happens I'm sure that they will have to be made to be handicapped-accessible. I bet that they will also have to be thoroughly cleaned.

Von-Drake
12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
I actually remember staying in one of these once. Two things really stick out in my memory:
1) One of the showers seemed big enough for a Roman bathhouse.
2) I remember one of the bus drivers taking a series of turns at a pretty good speed and joking over the intercom it is the Buena Vista Space Mountain.

SignguyTom
12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Not making them handicapped friendly was not the only error on Disney's part. They were also built on protected land. So even though the college kids are using them, there is to be no landscaping at all around them. If a tree limb falls onto the road or house, it can be removed from the road or house but must then be left alone wherever it may fall. This according to our DD Boat Skipper in May '06. :thumbsup:

Mollywobbles
12-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Not making them handicapped friendly was not the only error on Disney's part. They were also built on protected land. So even though the college kids are using them, there is to be no landscaping at all around them. If a tree limb falls onto the road or house, it can be removed from the road or house but must then be left alone wherever it may fall. This according to our DD Boat Skipper in May '06. :thumbsup:

I remember something about "protected land" as well from a trip a few years ago. That's why the treehouses haven't been torn down.

RocknRoller94
12-11-2007, 10:31 PM
These treehouses used to be guest villas, but now they are houses for people with the Disney College Program.:mickey: