PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Gift Help

JessicaRabbit
11-28-2007, 08:04 AM
My DD is in 2nd grade and just loves her teacher. She would like to give him a special holiday present and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for something for a young male teacher (he's 27). I was thinking of getting him a live plant (like a small tree that he could later plant outdoors) but it occured to me that perhaps teachers receive a lot of those types of things. I know we have a lot of people in the education field on this board and I was wondering if you all had some suggestions for me. Thanks!! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
My kids have never had a male teacher. The one gift that we give to teachers that always gets the best response is a gift certificate to a spa for a massage. I don't know how much a male teacher would like this, but my kids teachers are always excited when they receive this gift. After dealing with children all day everyday I am sure a little pampering goes a long way. I've had several of their teachers tell me that this was the best gift ever recieved.

KCMom
11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
This year my DD is giving her teacher a gift card to Barnes & Noble and some Hershey's Kisses. Kisses are her teacher's favorite candy. This teacher loves books and reading and really promotes the love of books in her classroom. I think it is a good gift for her. I am trying to steer away from the mugs and ornaments that the teachers seem to get sooo much of. I also considered a gift card to Panera. Everyone likes food.

birdsell
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Speaking as a 27 year old male teacher, there are several things I would like to get from my students.

1. Homemade christmas goodies are always good.
2. A plant is nice, but make it a plant that is easy to take care of. Also, make sure that he has wimndows in his room, or the plant will die.
3. Christmas ornaments. Assuming that I like the student, I remember that student every time that I put the ornament on the tree. Even better is an ornament made or personalized by the student.

I will say that, as a young male, a christmas card is nice, but it probably won't leave a lasting impression.

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 10:05 AM
My MIL was a teacher and the top things she always got (and didn't always want, too many of them, though she was always touched and grateful for the thought) were:

1) Mugs.
2) Christmas ornaments.
3) Homemade goodies.

She loved to get gift cards so that she could buy things for her classroom. Teachers in our school system are currently discouraged from accepting personal gifts (seen as bribes- what has the world come to?) but they can accept gift cards that they can use to buy things for the classroom, like Wal*Mart or Target cards for cleaning supplies or Barnes & Noble cards for books. I think that's the way to go.

Disneyatic
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Last year my DD was in 2nd grade and her teacher was a young male (I think he was 25).
We gave him a gift certificate to the movies and he loved it!

In my opinion, gift certificates are great gifts because they can buy something or do something for themselves!

thrillme
11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
I'd consider a gift certificate to a bookstore or even a food place. Or perhaps a significant Hallmark ornament outlining something the child learned or spoke with the teacher about.

From a girl to a male teacher...hersheys kisses or hersheys hugs are always appropriate.

merlinmagic4
11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
We usually give gift certificates to the local bookstore. I figure they can buy books for the class or a great read for themselves :thumbsup:

I like the movies idea, too!

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
My Mom is a teacher, and she's gotten some really interesting gifts over the years!

The cutest one was a parent who bought her a jar opener, since she has arthritis, and it can be hard to open things, really showed some creativity and thought.

In general though, gift certificates are great, movies, books, music or even find out what they need for the classroom and buy it for them.

They usually get mugs and chocolates until they are coming out of their ears, but my mom always loved the homemade cookies, etc and she loves the ornaments.

Kidsmom
11-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I always give a gift card to Starbucks, Dunkin donuts or a local book store. I would bet a 25 year old either drinks a lot of coffee or eats donuts.

I just read an article about teachers not liking gift cards for books for teaching stores as it is presumed they should get something for the kids in the classroom.

They prefer something for themselves.

This year I am only giving Gift cards to coffee or food stores (Penera or Bagel shop or D&D).

Good Luck!

Fallendroplet
11-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Homemade Christmas ornaments are always good. No matter if the teacher is male or female...something special made by one of their students is always acceptable :thumbsup:!

IloveJack
11-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I'm a 27 year old female teacher, and I have (in my 3 years of teaching) received plenty of homemade goodies, which I can't (as a diabetic) eat. I know it's the thought that counts, but I find that not very well thought out. :( Be sure to check on things like that before you take the time to make them.
However, I do love to get gift cards. I teach at a small private school, and am not reimbursed for things I buy for my room. Therefore, I don't mind cards to a teacher store. Although, I'd much rather get a card to somewhere I can enjoy myself.
Something my students have really caught onto, is that I collect turtles. So I especially love to find a turtle in the gift bag! It's extra special that the kid/parent really thought out the gift, and it's uniquely mine. Is there something that her teacher collects, or decorates his desk with?
Of course, restaurant/movie theater gift cards are always a nice form of relaxation. :)

TikiGoddess
11-28-2007, 03:54 PM
My husband teaches in an elementary school and over the years he's gotten some interesting presents. The weirdest one was a bright orange tie dyed tshirt with a dragon on the front. I think he still has it and every time he wears it we smile and shake our heads. :)

He usually gets chocolate (which he quickly hands over to me -- smart man), ornaments, or gift cards. He loooves getting gift cards for a bookstore, so he can buy books for his classroom or spend it on himself. He also appreciates anything handmade from a student.

HTH!
TikiG

ckaranassos
11-28-2007, 04:36 PM
As a teacher myself, and having a third grade DS with a young male teacher (which is an awesome experience for him) gift cards are great. We are giving DS teacher a gift card to Dunkin Doughnuts because we know he loves his coffee. Stops every morning for a cup. So I bought a cool travel mug and gift card from the local Dunkin Doughnuts.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
A male teacher-friend of mine got a throw with his initials monogrammed on it last year. Seemed to be a winner. While we all appreciate any thought, and as parents also know that budgets are often pretty tight, many of us have quite a collection of mugs, so... You really can't go wrong with the gift card idea. One of the cutest presents I ever got was a bowl with popcorn, cokes, movie candy, and a gift certificate for a movie rental. Loved it!

SunnyLee
11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I am a 25 HighSchool Teacher who doesn't always get those fun gifts my girlfriends who are elementary teachers do..however. For a male teacher I would say: gift cards can say millions!!! Seriously I know it sounds lame..but we love them and feel a lot freer with something like that!:mickey:

JessicaRabbit
11-29-2007, 07:40 AM
You all have given me some awesome suggestions! I'm thinking of going "hybrid" and having DD make a cute little stocking (w/a cow theme - her teacher loves cows) and placing a gift card in it - because DD really wants to create something for her teacher - seems like the best overall idea. Thanks again for all of your ideas!

kakn7294
11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
When my oldest DD had a male teacher, we made up a gift basket with 1 large and 4 small bowls, popcorn, hot cocoa, and Christmas mugs.

IloveDisney71
11-29-2007, 08:44 AM
You all have given me some awesome suggestions! I'm thinking of going "hybrid" and having DD make a cute little stocking (w/a cow theme - her teacher loves cows) and placing a gift card in it - because DD really wants to create something for her teacher - seems like the best overall idea. Thanks again for all of your ideas!
That sounds perfect. Personal and something the teacher will enjoy. I teach and so did my DH at one time. Between the two of us we had tons of ornaments, mugs, etc. Just one thing, try and find out where your child's teacher enjoys eating or shopping. I've gotten gift cards to places I don't go and usually end up passing them down to my daughters. I got one to Starbucks and I hate coffee. I know it's the thought that counts (I don't want to sound ungrateful) but... Anyway, I've had my students this year asking me what my favorite candy is and where I like to eat. This has been in the past few days...I think their parents have been telling them to ask me. It's so cute (kindergarten). :mickey:
WE (teachers) just love to know that we are appreciated - that's the best gift of ALL.

Mickey'sGirl
11-29-2007, 08:50 AM
My DD is in 2nd grade and just loves her teacher. She would like to give him a special holiday present and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for something for a young male teacher (he's 27).DS had a young male teacher in Grade 3. For his gift we bought a popcorn bucket, put a box of microwave corn in it, a bag of candies, and movie rental gift certificates. He LOVED it. :thumbsup:

minnie-mouse
11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Gifts cards -to a bookstore, restaurant, coffee shops, sporting goods store, etc.

Dznygrl79
11-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Until about six months ago I was a teacher and it is safe to say that every teacher appreciates book store gift cards it means you don't have to take money from your pocket to spend on the class. Also if there is a teacher supply store in your area thats another idea. However the greatest gift I ever got was when a parent came to me and said here is your spending limit what is one thing you need for your classroom.
Good luck!

mickeys_princess_mom
11-29-2007, 10:09 PM
... Anyway, I've had my students this year asking me what my favorite candy is and where I like to eat. This has been in the past few days...I think their parents have been telling them to ask me. It's so cute (kindergarten). :mickey:
WE (teachers) just love to know that we are appreciated - that's the best gift of ALL.
You just reminded me of another neat idea. One of my students casually noted my favorite canned soda (lined up across my desk each day :blush:), and dropped off a case of them with a bow on at Christmastime. Loved it! Those lounge machines and my wallet :thumbsup:got a rest. Very thoughtful.