PDA

View Full Version : F.W. Magic Disappearing ??

mickey98
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
I never thought I would say these words.. BUT is the Magic of Ft. Wilderness disappearing. We recently returned from a 9 night stay at the Fort. We stayed in the 200 loop.. Guess what, we had pets in our loop.. Security said the guests had " special permission " from the front desk.. How do you receive special permission in a non pet loop ???. Campers were washing their motorhomes in the campsites.. especially the one next to us that flooded our campsite.. security watched and said nothing, Campers had blazing fires in the outside grille and again security watched and said NOTHING.. This trip was a BIG disappointment.. We can not believe that Disney is allowing this kind of RULE breaking to go on.. Rules are for the safety and comfort of the campers.. BUT I guess If you know someone you can get special permission to do just about anything and disregard the rules.. We will seriously think about going back again next November for our yearly vacation.. Maybe it's time to visit another theme park.. Maybe they uphold the rules...

faline
11-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience.

WDWdriver
11-28-2007, 09:19 AM
I hope you expressed your concerns to a manager at checkout. No one (that I know of) cares more about guest satisfaction than Disney. I have seen countless procedures and policies changed as a result of guests comments.

ibrowse17
11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I wondered the same thing after our last trip back in Feb. They had a church group that took up 3 sites on our loop, and were having services each evening in one of the sites. Also, a huge group of kids (100 or so) stayed on our loop, and just ran wild the entire time. They had scavenger hunts, and were going through people's sites:mad: None of the parents with them did anything to control them. I informed the front desk of this, but nothing happened. I hope that all of this is not a sign of things to come at our beloved FW.:(

TinaAndGlenn
11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
We always wash our 5th wheel at least once when we camp at FW. It gets filthy on the trip from Illinois. We are mindful of our neighbors, and would never flood their site! It sounds to me like FW is really not to blame, but other rude guests. Where were the parents (or adults) in charge of those kids running wild? Seems to me that the rudeness we experience in the 'real' world is spilling over to DW overall. People (not all people) are rude. They feel that they should be first, their kid is special, the rules do not apply to them. You see these people everyday at your local grocery store, library or even your job. And like the real world, those of us who follow the rules suffer. We are going to FW at the end of December, hopefully we will not encounter the same issues as you. Maybe they should put all the 'rule breakers' in a loop together!

mickey98
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
We always wash our 5th wheel at least once when we camp at FW. It gets filthy on the trip from Illinois. We are mindful of our neighbors, and would never flood their site! It sounds to me like FW is really not to blame, but other rude guests.

You do realize that washing your camper is against the rules ???

mickey98
11-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I hope you expressed your concerns to a manager at checkout. No one (that I know of) cares more about guest satisfaction than Disney. I have seen countless procedures and policies changed as a result of guests comments.

And yes Ron I expressed my concern with allowing pets who were directly across from us who barked all hours of the day and night and the owner who did NOT clean up after the dogs. I was told that they received SPECIAL authorization from the front desk to be in a non-pet loop. ?????

TheMartellFamily
11-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Make it known of what happened there during your visit. I feel if you do not let upper management know the non management is not going to say anything and nothing gets done. I have seen some things and had no problem to let management know of what is going on. It is sad that people feel no matter where they are they think they can get away with anything. I agree when there are large groups of kids they must implement more adult coverage for groups because I too have seen problems with that and unrulely misbehaving children. Do not be affraid to contact them and let them know what you had seen.

BobB
11-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Last year my inlaws joined my wife and I at FW.They have a small dog (6 pounds) that travels with them in their motorhome. They requested a pet loop at the time they made their reservation and was told no problem. Upon arrival they were told that they did not have to stay in a pet loop as small dogs that stay in the camper were ok in any loop.

LKCEmom
12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I just have to wonder if there would be complaints too if someones motorhome or trailer were covered in dirt.

I'm sorry sometimes you just have to wash them off, now if your neighbor was washing the camper every day that would be a problem.

The rules are there for a reason that being said realize that some rules are more important that others. There are so many different people that we need to be more tolerant of each others needs and maybe look at the gray area before getting angry.

I'm on my way out the door right now, heading to Ft Wilderness, we learned over the years to make our own magic.

JMHO (not intended to offend in any way)

vicster
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Our camper gets dirty on the way to WDW, also, but we found a great truck stop with a car wash large enough for campers that worked great. As for the dogs, we got stuck one year in a loop for dogs and we nagged Disney until they moved us. (Constantly barking dogs is not my cup of tea.) As far as I know there are still loops specified for people with pets.

Other than that we've always had good luck at FW.

DNS
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
We don't wash our whole motor home, but during love bug times, we do wash down the front right after we get there. We've talked to others who do the same. My understanding is that squished love bugs will ruin the paint on a vehicle. We've never even thought twice about doing that. Although we use very little water.

tys_mommy
12-17-2007, 08:35 AM
I was under the impression that washing a trailer/motor home at your site was considered the same as dumping gray water and considered illegal in most states.

LONESTAR
12-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Disney must not mind you washing your RV to much because we were just there and and we saw a company in there that details RV's. They were washing them. I dont wash my 5er while we are there but I would not care if my neighbor washed theres. Now all the tree triming and the gas powered blowers every morning I could have done with out. Plus there was a water leak in our loop so we had bad water pressure for about 4 days. The sewer was backed up in the restrooms by the Hoop De Doo one night . But none of this really bothers me because I am on vacation and it sure beats being at work and there still is no other place like FW. No place is perfect. But the magic is still there for me and my DW.:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
1) Word came down last May -
. . . the campground is full most of the time
. . . don't bug the guests
. . . too many campers for security to police
. . . if you get complaints, let them fall
2) I couldn't believe, nor could others.
3) At that time, everyone basically said,
. . . "what the heck, let them go"
. . . "let them do what they want"
4) After that, security has done little rules enforcement.
. . . open fires
. . . washing of campers (against law and the rules)
. . . pets in non-pet loops
. . . huge ATVs, instead of mandated small ones
. . . parties at late hours, just not too raucous

NOTE: In my opinion, dumb, really dumb. CM's were told to not worry about the rules, so guests wouldn't complain. The word came down that "EVERY GUEST DESERVES THE BEST WDW VACATION, EVER". And, woe be the CM that prevents that.

mickey98
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
1) Word came down last May -
. . . the campground is full most of the time
. . . don't bug the guests
. . . too many campers for security to police
. . . if you get complaints, let them fall
2) I couldn't believe, nor could others.
3) At that time, everyone basically said,
. . . "what the heck, let them go"
. . . "let them do what they want"
4) After that, security has done little rules enforcement.
. . . open fires
. . . washing of campers (against law and the rules)
. . . pets in non-pet loops
. . . huge ATVs, instead of mandated small ones
. . . parties at late hours, just not too raucous

NOTE: In my opinion, dumb, really dumb. CM's were told to not worry about the rules, so guests wouldn't complain. The word came down that "EVERY GUEST DESERVES THE BEST WDW VACATION, EVER". And, woe be the CM that prevents that. So, Now this makes F.W. no different than any other campground. RULES are what has set F.W. above everyone else, Like them or not the rules are made for a reason not to just " upset " someone. If you want to party all night, have open fires, have pets in a non-pet loop, wash your camper in your site and make a mess in your neighbors campsite, them I guess you should jump right on the telephone and call W.D.W reservations, because NOW F.W. is no longer the ELITE Campground.. This disappoints me severly.

RocklandRVers
12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Well relaxed rules were not the order of the day when we last visited (April 2007). We once again got hassled over using our Electric Gem Car in areas where other golf carts go. I even protested to the manager of Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge on the phone but was told that security had ruled that Gem Cars are not golf carts. So much for the princess who drove one on the golf course in a Disney movie I guess.

Fires are a different story. I like a roaring campfire as much as anyone but I can see from the flammable tinder that surrounds every FtW campsite that fires are a common sense no-no.

Also common courtesy has to take over for rules enforcement. Never invade someone's campsite or let your water, smells, noise, etc ruin your neigbors' vacation.

DNS
12-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Fires are a different story. I like a roaring campfire as much as anyone but I can see from the flammable tinder that surrounds every FtW campsite that fires are a common sense no-no.

I totally agree. About the time a horrible fire breaks out and destroys millions of dollars in motor homes, and I think security will become an issue again. I liked feeling that my motor home was safe while we're at the parks.

Camping Mom
01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Security??? I have never seen security at Ft.W. Where have I been? We were behind a lady who was driving her SUV thru the park way too fast, running stop signs and honking at people in front of her. Where was she going? To the Meadows to pick up some food. We followed her in because she was dressed like an employee. I asked for the manager and told him how she was driving and that she was going to hurt someone. I don't know if he did or not, but I saw NO security.

There was a big rig next to us that had detailing done two days in a row and that water pressure hose is LOUD!

We nearly always have a site next to someone with dogs. I wondered the same thing about why they are not in the pet loops. I guess to bend the rules to make that camper happy? What about those of us who DON'T take our furry friends and would like a site where we don't listen to someone elses?

Sounds to me like Disney is afraid to follow their own rules. Listen, when most of us who camp go to any campground, there are rules we know to follow. Why should this be any different?

And to those who ride your golf carts fast because you like the wind in your hair, remember there are those of us who don't walk as fast as we used to...or we are too small to know that thing you drive can hurt us...and oh, please know that even if security won't stop you, the sidewalks are NOT a speedway. Ok, I feel better. I just wish the guy who drove his golf cart WAY TOO FAST, on the wrong side of the road because he couldn't stay under the speed limit and played rap music as loud as possible so we all knew he was around (like we could have NOT noticed?) knew what a nuisance he was being to the peace loving campers at Ft. Wilderness!!

Venting sure feels good...thanks for listening!:mickey:

RocklandRVers
01-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Security does not always drive around in a marked security vehicle. We got pulled over by a CM in a van while driving our own golf cart (not a rental). My son was driving and was 15 and I was in the passenger seat. (he is an excellent driver) and the CM checked to see if he was 16 and had a license. She made us switch before allowing us to drive on.

Security is not always everwhere to be sure, but I know that they do drive around the loops even in the wee hours. Once our dog woke us up when he needed to go out in the early morning (about 3:00 am) and a van drove around our loop.

Overall I feel safe at FtW, but also know that some of the guests may not share the same sense of responsibility as I and others do so I keep a cautious eye out for them. We have all seen the golf carts whizzing through paths shared by pedestrians and big RVs barreling around the campground so we remain vigilent.

FtW is like any diverse "town". Some of the folks obey the "letter of law" while others flaunt it totally with most of us landing somewhere in between. In my many trips I have seen some real morons but mostly I see some of the most friendly people I have ever met. All in all I still find it the best vacation spot and will continue going.

wendy*darling
01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
1) Word came down last May - "EVERY GUEST DESERVES THE BEST WDW VACATION, EVER". And, woe be the CM that prevents that.
I would argue that open fires, pet in non-pet loops, neighbors washing their campers (and flooding my site), "illegal" "golf carts", and loud, late parties are ruining MY "best WDW vacation, ever".
The rules are there. Complain. And continue to do so until you are heard.
If the rules breakers win, FW will not be the paradise it has been.

LONESTAR
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I would argue that open fires, pet in non-pet loops, neighbors washing their campers (and flooding my site), "illegal" "golf carts", and loud, late parties are ruining MY "best WDW vacation, ever".
The rules are there. Complain. And continue to do so until you are heard.
If the rules breakers win, FW will not be the paradise it has been.

What do you call a illegal golf cart.

RocklandRVers
01-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Linda I think that we had gotten "spoiled" during the time following 9/11 when Disney attendance was way down. Now more folks than ever have discovered (re-discovered) Disney and this has led to many more jerks attending along with most of us non-jerks.

The "secret" is also getting out that FtW is the one true bargain among the resorts. You see this with more and more rental RVs among the diehard RVers (like me). We camp nearly every weekend (except winter) and know the rules on being a good RV neighbor. Unfortunately the renter folks do not and so cannot grasp what it means not to let kids run wild over other people's sites, etc.

There is no easy answer to this change in the guest population and I think Disney is struggling to balance what every guest's view of the magic should be. Maybe the answer is an expansion of FtW. With the explosion of the RV market, I think another large campground would attract many more RVers to Disney and help make room in a very tight FtW which was built way back before some of the larger rigs were on the market. Right across the street from FtW is a large expanse of land that to me would make an excellent campground. Instead of more rooms, which seem to never get filled, more campsites could be a good addition. Maybe a future world themed RV park to counter the old west theming of FtW? :confused:

SoaringEpcot
01-08-2008, 10:32 AM
We saw people driving entirely too fast during our last stay in December. Most were the big RV's, they did not even slow down at cross walks. Also saw fires in pits as well. I think Fort Wilderness still has some magic but the rules do need to be enforced.

LONESTAR
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I know what you mean about those big RV's . On our last stay A motor home passed a golf cart on a curve and came around the curve head on at me and the DW I had to put our golf cart in the ditch.
But know body got hurt so what you going to do. Stuff happens.

RocklandRVers
01-09-2008, 01:10 PM
You know I have had the hardest time understanding WHY people rush ON VACATION! It seems so counter to what you hope to accomplish which is to RELAX from the "rat race" of the work world back home. When I have let my son drive the golf cart, I make him drive slow. I say, "we're on vacation! Whats the hurry?" Besides finally getting to be the passenger means I can concentrate on seeing the sights I missed while focused on driving. You know those little things you miss: the squirrels or the little lizards that scurry around.

No! I am on vacation. I take the lead foot off the accelerator at Fort Wilderness. I want to take it all in and enjoy every second. I know I can't do it if I am in a rush all the time.

russk42
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I'd like to add my 2 cents on the washing: while washing doesn't bother me personally (if done politely, without flooding or pressure washers) even the best biodegredable soaps are somewhat bad for the local ecolgy, and most RV-cleaners are much worse. If everyone washed their rig during their stay, imagine the amount of detergents and other pollutants washed into the marshes and lake-- of course, I know that many RVers use water only.

Having said that, my pet peeve is the fast drivers and the teenagers with golf carts-- i hope they continue to crack down on that.

NJ Camper
02-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I also have seen alot of people driving a little carelessly in the camp when we went in NOV a few people near me had a outside person there with a truck and box type trialer that was detailing big rigs they where there for 2 days But I have to say we talk each trip about going slow and spending a day just relaxing but its tough i just want to get in the parks and have fun well maybe on the next trip I will slow it down more and just take in the camp :mickey:

Running_Bell
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Security is not the problem, and FW is not the problem... the guests are the problem... atleast the selfish ones that consider a few bugs on their RV above the comfort of their neighbors, or the guests that walk their dogs and allow them to poop in another persons loop (a non pet loop) and not clean it up, or the parents who allow their teens to drive a golfcart like they're in NASCAR running other guests off the sidewalk, or the "adults" that drive the same way. We've had that happen each time we've stayed, but we keep going back because we know that there are just as many nice, considerate people camping there as there are the selfish inconsiderate people, and we just pray we're put beside the nice ones. As far as pets in non-pet loops, we've had them everytime. We always request non-pet loops and we always have people in them with pets... we're told it's overflow. Most of the time, it doesn't bother us and we hardly notice, but there are other times where people put their pets before other people. We had an older couple, who was driving their custom golf cart on the side walk, run our 8 year old off walkway and knock her off her bike. They proceeded to yell at my daugher telling her she needed to stay out of the way.... there are rude people every where, even Disney. It's alarming that half of the people on this post said it was okay to break a rule if it weren't an "important" one. Who determines that? Your non important rule may be my important rule. Does your vacation deserve to be more "magical" than mine? Be fair... follow the Golden Rule!

NJ Camper
02-18-2008, 11:22 PM
It is a shame that this is what the camp has come to the problem is that disney needs to enforce there rules and people need to respect each other think how they would feel in the other persons shoes clean up after your pets ,don't take pets who bark all day if they can't handle being in a camp alone then board them,slow down think of others,just remember its a vacation you are suppose to be relaxing take the time to slow down and look around and see all the things you are going to miss by flying by a little respect and kindness will not hurt and maybe will be returned to you :mickey:

whistlewhileyouwork
02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Just got back today........I had read this post weeks ago and i was concerned about what was being said........well i was so happy to be back at the fort, things are wonderful there. we had the most wonderful time.....crowded? yes, to the gills........but we had such a great time. So NO for me.......the magic is NOT dissapearing. THANK GOD or should i say MICKEY!!:mickey:

LONESTAR
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Just got back today........I had read this post weeks ago and i was concerned about what was being said........well i was so happy to be back at the fort, things are wonderful there. we had the most wonderful time.....crowded? yes, to the gills........but we had such a great time. So NO for me.......the magic is NOT dissapearing. THANK GOD or should i say MICKEY!!:mickey:

Glad to here someone still likes FW besides me.

NJ Camper
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
There is NO other camp that can compare with FW but if they could get a handle on things before they get further out of control would be great I know from past experiences that lots of other camps enforce there rules i've seen camps that leave notes for people that management had a problem with there dog barking or some places only allow 2 dogs or only small ones i've heard of camps that willNOT allow you to leave your dog in camper if your not there washing is out of the ??? they enforce quiet time and have roaming security that is visible and consantly checking on people and allow small fires only depending on conditions and only in fire rings lots of camps give out a full page of do's and don'ts and they expect you to follow them and if you read the fine print at the bottom it says they will ask you to leave if you don't follow these rules its a shame that disney will let there rules be BENT to keep a few people happy even if it makes others upset guess all you can do is keep calling management and letting them know how you feel hope FW gets back to how it use to be and that people learn to respect each other and make the magic better then ever :mickey:

RJAMV5
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
First of all...Welcome time2ride!! :mickey:

I agree with you. Who is to say someone else's vacation is more important than yours?!?! I personally have not had any instances of any of these things happening when we have been there. We have a small dog which we are very fond of but while on vacation we leave him behind at a kennel. I personally do not want to have to go back to my rig throughout the day just to let him out. And as far as washing my rig, when we get into Ocala, I wash it at a truck stop just to remove any large bugs from the trip, then when we get home it gets a complete wash.
My solution to any of these problems would be to talk to the manager about these things and if necessary, bring him/her to the campsite to see for themselves. And always remember, this manager also has a manager!!

BTW...Thanks to whistlewhileyouwork for saying those things about your trip. Glad to hear the MAGIC is still there!! I hope our next trip is as great as yours!!!:joy:

AHOTE
02-29-2008, 01:23 AM
We stayed in FW every summer for 11 years and I can remember it as being the nicest campground that I had ever visited. There were very few problems and the ones that did arise were handled quickly and descreetly by Disney staff. I don't ever remember anyone being allowed to have a dogs in the campground, that's why there's a kennel. The only animals allowed in FW should be service dogs. I can remember security patroling and those who chose to violate the rules were were given a warning and if problems continued they were told to leave. I'm sorry to hear that it's no longer that way.

TinkInTraining
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Wow, we just went in November and didn't have any of these problems.

We bring our dog, which can't stay in a kennel, we stay in a pet loop and we've never had any problems.

The only problem we had was we had a very big water leak that lasted over two days...Disney did a good job of trying it fix it during the day when most people aren't around but other than that we had the same magical journey we always do.

As far as fast golf carts, we rent a golf cart everytime and I think they're slow! They don't have a very high speed in my opinion. But then again, we're driving them on the road and not the side walks...I've never seen anyone on the side walk with them, except on the bridge that goes to the trading post by the pool, but I think that is intended for the golf carts.

It's a shame people are driving on the side walks! Side WALK, no side ride!!

I still enjoy it. Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. When I'm on vacation I just try and enjoy it and not let other people's hastiness ruin it. It's their business if they want to live like that, I won't.

We still love FW, it's quite, our kids always make friends, our dog likes it, we like it. We always stay in the preferred pet loop so maybe that's why I'm not experiencing all the bad mentioned in the other posts. I've never had people's kids running through out site or terrible neighbors...just a bunch of people enjoying Disney...

:mickey:

russk42
03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
one of the things that made Fort Wilderness the most magical to me was the banjo music on the hidden speakers near Settlement---last time we went (in '06), i noticed that the music was gone. I was hoping that this was only a temporary glitch...anyone been there recently, and notice the music?

Vanlandingham
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
one of the things that made Fort Wilderness the most magical to me was the banjo music on the hidden speakers near Settlement---last time we went (in '06), i noticed that the music was gone. I was hoping that this was only a temporary glitch...anyone been there recently, and notice the music?

We were there last summer and the banjo music was still prevalent...must have been a glitch. I rather enjoy it too so I would have noticed if it was gone.

As for me, I miss some of the small things that used to help make FW memorable. For example, I miss the slight fort theming that they used to have with cannons and ammunition carts scattered around the place. I miss the peacocks, the lawnmower tree (which they pretty much cut down during my last stay), having the buses named Crockett and Boone, having Crockett's Tavern as a separate smaller restaurant from Trail's End. Call me sentimental but all of these types of things really used to add to the Magic IMO.

Camping Mom
05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
What happened to the peacocks???? We haven't seen them the last two times we went. Did they relocate them from Ft. W?

I love, love Ft. W and going to Disney means staying there. Our vacation is not the same if we don't. I do wish they would build more campgrounds. When you have to reserve a spot a year in advance...that's too crowded. Sometimes an opportunity comes up where you just want to hit the road and go, but you won't have a spot to park in.

I agree that I think rules have become too lax, but I think people have taken advantage of these laxes as well. And who in their right mind would run an 8 year old off their bike and tell them to get out of the way????? The man driving the golf cart had not been dusted with Pixie Dust!! Sounds to me like he needs the whole BAG!!!!:tink:

RocklandRVers
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I asked about that back in April 07 and was told that they were relocated to Animal Kingdom. The reason? Because they made too much noise early in the morning especially for the guests in the loops closest to the marina (100-300). I miss them. Especially the large white beauty that we saw in July 2004 one evening after Hoop De Doo.

As far as the magic disappearing our trip during mid February 2008 was like coming into a new campground. Where did all the foliage go? Now you can see not only your neighbors site, but also neighboring LOOPS. WHOA! From what we were told it was for fire safety reasons, but WOW did they give the place a crew cut! :confused:

russk42
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
What happened to the peacocks????

I miss the peacocks as well. Did they really move them because of noise complaints? Of course, I've never stayed in those loops, so i wouldn't know how noisy they were...but noise from other campers (as mentioned previously in the thread) can sometimes be highly annoying.
I wonder why the peafowl were there in the first place---Don't they kill snakes? Although I've only seen snakes in the canal swimming, and dead on the road; I'm always a little wary when I walk off the pavement.

Disneyfamilyoffive
05-15-2008, 08:50 PM
We go to Fort Wilderness at least four times a year, we will be back on the 31st of this month, We have seen Security take campers out of the camp ground for dis orderly conduct and we were given a refund of a nights stay because of the inconvience this caused us in our loop, we have also seen them geting on to people that drive too fast and in places that they should not. SO just every where they try and do there job that we have seen and been apart of, just too many people and not enough security to go around. We usually request to stay in the 300 lop even though we do not have any pets that we take with us camping. We like the loop because we like to fish. ANd like someone else said we are there to make our own Magic and it is not Ft Wilderness's fault that others are rude. Hope that you can go again and not have the same bad tast in your mouth. :mickey: