PDA

View Full Version : spas

laurenC325
11-27-2007, 12:59 AM
I want to thank everyone who has had the patience to answer all my anxiety/honeymoon questions. I would like DF and I to get a couple massage on our honeymoon. DF also wants me to get a facial and whatever else while he golfs. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go? Thanks:bride::groom:

faline
11-27-2007, 05:23 AM
I haven't personally used any of the spas but have heard good things about the new Mandara Spa (http://www.swandolphin.com/activities/spa.html)at the Dolphin.

sillyolbear
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
My wife has visited both GF and SSR spas and has been very pleased with both experiences.

irish1967
11-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I've been to GF a couple of times (only done mani and pedi) but would definitely go back.

My friend, who is a DVC owner, goes to the SSR spa every visit.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and Disneymoon!

DVC Mike
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
The best spa on property is at Saratoga Springs, IMHO.

SurferStitch
11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
DH and I love the GF Spa. We've been there many times.

We've done the couples massage there, and it was great. My favorite thing, though, is facials. I've done the European Aromatherapy facial many times, and I am trying the Grand Floridian Deluxe facial in December. That one includes a hand and foot massage, too!

DH is opting for an 80 minute Swedish massage. That's his favorite. He usually does a soak beforehand, but is skipping that this year.

The past few times we've been there, the CM giving me my facial actually remembered me from year to year. Makes you feel like you're coming home. Plus, you're in the elegance of the Flo, so you can wander over to the main building after your treatments and do some leisurely shopping at their incredible shops.

They offer morning, half day and full day packages, so check them out, too.

Tick-Tock
11-27-2007, 11:54 AM
I was very disappointed in my GF spa experience and I wouldn't go back. For the same or less money, I've had much better experiences here in Colorado.

ThanxForNoticin
11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't do spas myself, but my wife's favorite is definitely SSR. She's been going there since it was the Disney Institute spa. And if she keeps going back, I know she likes it. FYI - it's also right near the Buena Vista Golf Course, so you could probably coordinate the spa/golf afternoon over there if you want. Enjoy.

Cinderelley
11-27-2007, 01:29 PM
I've been to all three - GF, SSR & Mandara. SSR is my first choice. Mandara would be my second. I've been to the GF a few times, and have been disappointed every time.

SurferStitch
11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm just curious...

What were the disappointments with the GF spa? Were the treatments just not what you thought they would be? Were the technicians inept? Were they rude?

I'm just curious because we've always had amazing experiences there. Very friendly, knowledgeable, skilled and attentive people, beautiful treatments, and total relaxation.

Thanks.

Tick-Tock
11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
I was disappointed in several ways.

The lounge area to wait before treatments was very small - there were not enough chairs, so several women had to stand.

The lounge opened directly on the locker room. A woman with very long hair was using a hair dryer endlessly - not very relaxing.

My treatment room was on the hall that led to the locker room/lounge and it was not very soundproofed, so I continuously heard walking and talking in the hall during the treatment. Not just short snatches - a couple of times it sounded like people were standing in front of the door while they conducted their entire conversation.

The technician wasn't rude and she wasn't really inept. But it was a wrap, and she left me alone for about 15-20 minutes without checking on me at all. Unfortunately I was in a position that quickly became uncomfortable. I couldn't really help myself without undoing the entire wrap, and because she was gone so long without checking me, she couldn't help me either. Instead of feeling great, I ended up with back pain. (In contrast, at my favorite spa here, they don't leave you alone, but instead give you a blissful scalp and neck massage. If you're at all uncomfortable, they change the table position immediately.)

By the end of the treatment, I just wanted to get out of there. I felt no serenity or relaxation.

I've been to several day spas. For the prices it's charging, I expected GF's to be among the best. It was not.

SurferStitch
11-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Hmmm...that's too bad. Sorry to hear it.

I've never seen the lounge full. Usually only a couple other women were in there at the same time I was. It never seemed loud to me, and was nicely lit making it so relaxing. I also liked the fruit and drinks available. I also like to go in the early morning, so that may have had something to do with it. There were people showering and drying their hair, but it was in the separate area next to the locker area, and there was a door that shut if needed. Maybe they got rid of it? I haven't been there in a couple years.

I've also had rooms on that main hallway, but never noticed any noise at all. In fact, I have always been pleasantly surprised at how quiet the entire facility is. Couldn't hear a peep.

The times I had a body treatment where I had to lay still for a long while, I was flat on my back with a small pillow beneath my head, so no problems there. I wonder why the tech would have put you in a weird position for such a long time.

Whenever I've had a facial or other treatment where I was left alone for a while, the tech gave me a bell to ring in case anything went wrong, or I was uncomfortable. Yours should have done the same thing, but apparently didn't think of it.

Bummer.

Figaro0826
01-20-2008, 09:36 PM
DH and I did GF Spa Couple Message. And seperate messages this year. We went both times in late August, I had the locker and lounge to myself, never crowded, the staff was very professional and attentive.

It was a wonderful memory, in a room full of candles with my new husband me smiling both getting our messages, it was a beautiful memory, please don't let other people bad times ruin a good one for you.
:cloud9:
You can't please everyone all the time , just please your self.

ginger19
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I just came back and can't recommend the Mandara Spa at the Dolphin enough.

DH and I signed up for the Time for Two couples massage and it was more than I had hoped for. First, the staff at the front desk was so wonderful. At the GF I felt that they were uptight but the Mandara staff was phenomenal. Then there was some downtime in this wonderful area with cucumber water until our spa was ready. We had a private room with a wonderful spa in there with very hot, relaxing water. DH and I soaked in this wonderful hot tub in this gorgeous room until it was time for our massage.
The door opened slightly and then closed just to let us know it was time. DH and I got back into our robes and were lead into a room for side by side massages. It was heaven. After that we had relaxing time back in that room where we could lounge in chairs, on couches or out on the deck.
We used the intercot discount which DH forgot and went back to use and the staff was great about it.
I can't say enough about how great it was :thumbsup: