PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Switch mid vacation ? BC and WL

Mackflava99
11-26-2007, 07:54 PM
We were wondering if any of you have switched hotels mid vacation?
We were thinking about going for 5 days at Beach Club and then 5 days at Wilderness Lodge.
But our thoughts are focused on having to pack and move so we do lose a day.
How is the process? I assume we can just use the pool .
Also Do we have to go through the whole check in process a second time ?

I'd appreciate any insight- Thanks :)

scvecc
11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
For our trip last week, we stayed 4 nights on Disney property (WL) and 3 nights off. We found it pretty easy though we were prepared for it to be a hassle. We spent a chunk of the day at MK, then went back to switch in time for dinner. Loved WL!

Mackflava99
11-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I had a feeling its not so bad- But I want to be sure. We wanted to try something different and the four of us were split down the middle with the vote :)
Does anyone know if the luggage is taken over by Disney or do we have to cart it over ourselves?

Miss Mouse
11-27-2007, 01:14 AM
I had a feeling its not so bad- But I want to be sure. We wanted to try something different and the four of us were split down the middle with the vote :)
Does anyone know if the luggage is taken over by Disney or do we have to cart it over ourselves?

We are planning on switching resorts twice during our upcoming vacation, so I totally understand your thought pattern.

I've heard that Disney bell services will transport your luggage for you and that most of the time this process is fairly smooth. However, I've also read that the transfer process can occassionally take quite a while, so for peace of mind some people suggest moving your things on your own and taking a taxi. I'm sure those who have actual experience with the service will be of more help!

ThanxForNoticin
11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
We have done this type of change many times. Your plan to enjoy 5 days at BC and 5 days at WL is a great idea. Moving into a new resort kind of gives the vacation a lift - new resort, new things to explore. We almost always have a car when we're down, so changing resorts is almost a non-issue. But if you don't have a car, we do know that bell services will transport your bags for you if you need it. And yes, you will need to check in at the WL again, but it's not a big deal. You'll probably have to wait for your room in the afternoon, so plan your day accordingly. And even if your room is not available at WL, if you check in, you'll get to use the pool. Actually, on the day you move to WL, you'll have the choice of visiting either the BC pool or the WL pool that day. Have a great trip. 10 days sounds good!

WriteDisney
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
What a great question! I was thinking of doing this in the future (far, far future.. but it's always good to plan ahead). I'm glad you asked.

disney323
11-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Very easy to do. We have done it twice
1)Pack all bags and put them on the bed or by the door.
2)Check out and let them know what you want to do.
3) Have fun in the parks for several hours
4) Check in at the new hotel at some point during the day. You will get new room keys and they will be able to tell you if the room is ready.

The bell services will take and transfer your bags from the first hotel to the next. It does take 4 or more hours and when you get to your new room just call bell services and they will bring your bags up to the room.

mouseketeer mom
11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Its really not a problem. We did it last year between the AKL and WL villas, and we did it last week between the Contemporary and the Poly. I think its best when its done with a longer stay like 4 or 5 nights at both places. I do find myself having to be much more organized during the first stay, to avoid a big repacking on moving day. And even with being organized it does take time to pack up again and get out the door. Bell services will come and tag your luggage and give you a receipt for it claiming how many pieces they are transferring. Then they take it to the next resort sometime after 1pm, sometimes later. This service is not Magical Express, so you do need to be in your room to receive your luggage. Last week we checked out of the CR by 9:45am, and monorailed it to the Poly by 10am and our room was ready! I did tho, contact the resort ahead of time to let them know we would be coming from the CR and would be checking in early. We went to Kali River rapids last week on moving day, and in spite of my poncho, my shorts got SOAKED. ..and even upon our return to the Poly, our luggage wasn't there...so plan accordingly! :D Otherwise, it feels like 2 separate vacations. We love that. It is truly amazing how the different resorts at Disney can give you two totally different Disney experiences. I love your choices, the WL and BC. It sounds like a perfect mix. I also recommend saving your favorite resort for the second half of the trip! Have fun!

Maleficent's Dad
11-29-2007, 09:10 AM
It's usually fairly easy.

You may want to read this post (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=120590); I wrote about an unfortunate experience we had in August. :(

Mackflava99
11-29-2007, 09:14 AM
We just finished booking it- 5days at WL and 5 at BC-
I am very excited now, probably more than my twins, no actually i doubt that could happen? At least i don't let them know. thanks for all the tremendous advice.

Now i have to strategically book ADR with proximity to the resorts :)
:mickey:

Mackflava99
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Do they have the ability to store food too?

Maleficent's Dad
11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Do they have the ability to store food too?
Yes they do.
However...

Transferring food may become an issue.
When you leave the WL, bell services will keep any items necessary refrigerated.

The problem is that once it leaves WL, it's out of their control. The van/truck that does the transfers stops at many different locales, and it (the vehicle) has no refrigeration. I'm not sure if they would/could mark up the bag so that when it arrived at the BC, they would know to refrigerate it. This is the only problem I foresee.

mouseketeer mom
12-02-2007, 09:53 AM
We just finished booking it- 5days at WL and 5 at BC-
I am very excited now, probably more than my twins, no actually i doubt that could happen? At least i don't let them know. thanks for all the tremendous advice.

Now i have to strategically book ADR with proximity to the resorts :)
:mickey:

I'm so excited for you , and I'm sure you'll enjoy a split stay as much as we do! You can have some fun now, planning your ADR's. And you have a ton of choices too, because you're at an Epcot resort for one half and a MK resort for the other. Have fun! I love planning for a split stay, its like planning for double the vacation. The energy is so very different at the 2 resorts you have chosen. You will LOVE it!

Mackflava99
12-03-2007, 12:27 AM
I trully appreciate all your insight-
I will be sure to write a trip report _ its not till June so i am already way too anxious !!)

Tigger&Stitch
12-03-2007, 01:37 AM
We just decided we are going to do the same thing - except the other way around! We'll start out at the WL for 7 nights for our anniversary week, then go over to the BC for 5 nights. :tigger:

Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

WDW Dreamer
12-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Very easy to do. We have done it twice
1)Pack all bags and put them on the bed or by the door.
2)Check out and let them know what you want to do.
3) Have fun in the parks for several hours
4) Check in at the new hotel at some point during the day. You will get new room keys and they will be able to tell you if the room is ready.

The bell services will take and transfer your bags from the first hotel to the next. It does take 4 or more hours and when you get to your new room just call bell services and they will bring your bags up to the room.

Yes, we've done that numerous times. As a matter of fact I'm only 4 days away from doing it again! We will be at the WL, AKL and finally the BC. Can't wait! It really is super simple and allows you the opportunity to try the different resorts and see which you like best. Many people can only afford to go to WDW every so many years, so this gives them the chance to experience much more in the same amount of time. Love it! :thumbsup:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you for this post! We are about to do our first split stay next month, and your post answered questions I didn't even know I had.

I have to note that splitting between our packages took a little footwork. We booked through AAA, and they had different strategies to minimize costs. One was to book tickets for as many nights as possible through the first package, and then tack on one extra night through the last package.

Mackflava99
12-06-2007, 11:04 AM
i will be interested to see how it works out- good luck !!