PDA

View Full Version : is free dining in Sept a given?

mickey&missy
11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm trying to plan a trip, probably Sept of 2009, with my sister and her family. I wanted to go Dec of 08, but we're having a huge party for my in-laws 40th aniversary in sept 08 so a big trip to WDW in dec isn't in th budget

my sister and her DH can't really afford to take their kids and I would love for them to have the experience of going to WDW. I would also love to see their kids enjoy WDW for the first time :cloud9: I love their 3 kids as if they were my own, always have, always will! So DH and I will be taking them as a very big Christmas/birthday gift.

So the trip will be DH and I and our 3 kids and my sis, her DH and their 3 kids. Their kids will all be over 10 by Sept 2009. Our kids will be 8, 7, and 2.

We usually go all out, deluxe resort, lots of table service, dinner shows etc. But, with the cost of 5 extra adults I'm trying to plan for as no-frills as possible with a few character meals etc.

I'm wondering if I can count on free dining in Sept of 09. That would really help the cost!

TIA!

SBETigg
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
It's not something you can count on. It happens and it is usually announced only a few months before they offer it. The dates have changed through the years, though they are usually for parts of September. There's no guarantee that WDW plans to continue offering it.

meandmydog1
11-26-2007, 07:39 PM
I have noticed that the last week of August and the first 2 weeks of Sept seem to be popular dates for the free dining program, although as already posted nothing is guaranteed. They usually pick these times because the parks are much less crowded since all the kids are either getting ready to go back to school or are in school by now. Thats an awesome present you are giving your family. How generous! Make your reservations thru MJ and they will get you every updated discount available without you even having to call them. They are great. When I went in June Terrisue helped me tremendously. Sometimes it even pays for one person to get an annual pass to get great room discounts. There are so many options thats why I mentioned MJ because they think of everything! Have fun!

Rodders
11-27-2007, 07:56 AM
I know that it's not the same offer but they have already announced free DDP for UK residents. They have changed the rules slightly in that you can't get it in value resorts. Obviously this could change in the US if they do have the free dining at all.

TBY2225
11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I am not sure about 2009, but I do know they are offering it in some forms already in 2008. I was able to rebook for 2008 while there this year during free dining. It doesn't seem to be as popular because of the changes in the DDP next year. I am not sure of the UK rules, but we were able to get it in 2008 staying at a value resort.

ktflisa
11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
If I may add my two cents, maybe a bit off topic... My DH and I were going quite regularly - and then we had a medical issue with a pet that cost a lot. So he said "no more Disney for at least 2 years". My brother, who had never been, called a couple of months later to find out when our next adventure to the world would be. Sadly, I told him not any time soon. Well, after some serious research, and using our AA miles for free plane tickets, I talked my husband into a September trip - free dining etc etc. It ended up being about $400 each for us two. (4 nights, POFQ with non hopper passes)

BUT..... I won't do it again. It was HOT! I don't mean a little warm, I MEAN HOT! And I'm from Texas. We certainly still had a great time. But the heat / humidity was pretty awful. Plus it rained everyday, one day was a monsoon.

So, I now understand why rooms are cheap and free dining is offered during this time! If you think you can put up with the heat, you will certainly save a lot of money going at that time.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer :blush: just think you should make an informed decision.

LynneM
11-29-2007, 07:32 AM
They've only offered free dining in September for the past two years. The first year, it was offered because fall bookings were very low after the terrible hurricane season the year before. It must have worked well in getting the resort occupancy numbers up, since they offered it again this year.

Bottom line: if the resorts aren't booking for the fall of 2009, you may see free dining. Or it may be a different promotion altogether. But, if the resort occupancy is where Disney wants it to be, they won't offer free dining.

Rodders
11-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Sorry but I was talking about 2008 :blush: I just re-read your post and spotted the correct year :blush:

Ian
11-29-2007, 08:26 AM
I think it's going to depend on how bookings go. The YoaMD promotion really pulled the crowds in in 2007 and, based on all the negative changes they're making for '08, I assume bookings are up next year as well.

However, after the YoaMD ends you'll most likely see a big drop-off in attendance. I say this for several reasons ... 1. the economy is on a down-cycle and disposable income will likely go down and 2. the pent-up demand they've tapped into in '07 and '08 through YoaMD will be sated and all of those newbies or "haven't been in a long time" people will be staying home and they'll be left with just us nuts.

I'd guess that '09 is going to be a down year for them and promotions like free dining will return.

Tink#64
11-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow Ian, very insightful info there! Definitely someting to think about. 2009 could be a great year to visit & possibly see some new deals!

This could be very interesting, we'll see what happens!

Thank you for your knowledgeable input! :tiphat:

Mrs Grumpy
11-30-2007, 09:29 AM
We are going back in September 2009 so I will be anxiously waiting to see what if anything is offered.

comicguy
12-01-2007, 06:46 AM
When we went in Aug 06 the free dining was offered from mid Aug until mid oct.

When we went in Aug 07 the free dining was offered the last week of Aug through the first week of Oct.

At the same time we were there the bounceback offer was for the month of Sept 08 only. I am guessing if free dining is offered it will only be in the month of Sept.

It seems the date range keeps getting shorter each year(as overall booking increase). I would not really expect free dining but then you can never tell.