PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favorite?

monkeycity
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
So, I was thinking about all the magic that Disney has brought to life via its audioanimatronic figures (I love those words), and it occurred to me: Do you have a favorite one in particular? Not a group, like, "I love all the Pirates," but a specific figure that you have to see every time you go.

I know that there are some state of the art animatons, but I have to say that my favorite is that delightful, delicate, dedicated, and dimpled darlin' of the Dakotas, the last of the big time swingers. Swingin' Teddi Barra! My whole family always tries to sit right under the spot that she comes down from. We love her little feet when she's swinging! :blush:

Well, there he goes, he hardly knows, the heart he's breakin'...

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Cool question. :thumbsup:

I don't have a favorite, I love them all.
But, my kids love the Pirate in POTC that is sitting up on the bridge that you go under. The one that has a dirty foot hanging down. ;)

They can't wait to see him every ride.

SBETigg
11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
My favorites are all in POTC, so many to choose (especially now that they've added Jack Sparrow). My favorite would have to be the first of the new Sparrow figures because it is so amazingly lifelike to me. But also, one that always stands out for me, oddly, is the drunk guy with the cats around him.

lightyearfan
11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
my favorites are the entire cast of The American Adventure

Victor

Disneyatic
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
My favorite is the pirate sitting on top of the bridge with the hairy leg and dirty feet!

Another favorite of DD's (and also mine) are the opposums on Splash, those are SO cute hanging from the tree!

RedheadWriter
11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
:thumbsup:
The Redhead in POTC. For some obvious reasons LOL.
Rachel

IloveDisney71
11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't have a favorite, but one of my DD's just LOVES Big Al in the Country Bear's Jamboree - he's the one that sings "Blood on the Saddle". She thinks he is the funniest thing!

Von-Drake
11-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.. the man in the bathtub floating in the water.

RedheadWriter
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Von Drake-I forgot about him! He's on my happy list, too!!!
Rachel

Jasper
11-26-2007, 01:33 PM
My favorite is still Abraham Lincoln at the Hall of Presidents!! I love him both because I love history and because he is basically where the whole audioanimitronic business started from! I realize he has been updated many times but he is still as close as it comes to the original!

SurferStitch
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
My favorite is Stitch!! He's awesome! :stitch2:

I love seeing a "life size" Stitch.

Matt's Dad
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
1) The master entertainer of tomorrow land, Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic Rays .... got to love the act.

(ok, I also like seeing the "Ellen" character in the Universe of Energy that is fighting off the beasts ..... because it is sooooo badly done)

McGoofy
11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
:thumbsup:
The Redhead in POTC. For some obvious reasons LOL.
Rachel
My DH and I always quote in unison "We wants the redhead!" when we pass this. That's a great animatronic.

(ok, I also like seeing the "Ellen" character in the Universe of Energy that is fighting off the beasts ..... because it is sooooo badly done)

I agree with you about that one. I tend to like the pre-show better than the animatronics there! Not too long ago on the Ellen Degeneres show, she was talking about how she had never seen her character at Epcot. I thought that was strange!

Now the ones I do like are Captain Jack at POTC simply because it is Jack and looks VERY realistic. On Youtube, I saw a clip where Johnny Depp was looking at it for the first time. He actually got out of the boat to go look at it, and he was impressed at how realistic it was.

Another one I like is the snoring monk in Spaceship Earth. I wonder if he will still be there after the refurbishments?

LizLovesDiz
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I have 2:
I love the hula girls in Its a small world,their grass skirts are swaying back and forth,adorable.My new favorite is the Yeti in Expedition everest ! :thumbsup: :mickey:

RedheadWriter
11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
My DH and I always quote in unison "We wants the redhead!" when we pass this. That's a great animatronic.

Another one I like is the snoring monk in Spaceship Earth. I wonder if he will still be there after the refurbishments?

I hope the monk and the Egyptian royalty are still there!

Samtastic
11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
But also, one that always stands out for me, oddly, is the drunk guy with the cats around him.

I love that one!!! He's trying to get the cats drunk!

pink
11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I also like the guy in pirates that is trying to get the cats drunk.. he's one of my favorites.

"Here kitty kitty kitty..." :mickey:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Thatīs a tough one..Timekeeper! :number1:..oh no, heīs gone :(

I was also impressed by the first Jack Sparrow, scarely lifelike and real!

But, like the others, I love 'em all! Wicked witch, Hopper, all the Pirates, Brer Rabbit...

Miss Mouse
11-27-2007, 01:09 AM
I've never been to WDW, so I'm not sure if it's the same but I'm really hoping so!

On Splash Mtn at DL, when you re-enter the ride for the last time after the big drop, there are a porcupine and a racoon jamming together. The porcupine is playing the drums on a turtle shell and the racoon is playing a harmonica. They are my absolute favorite... so cute! :D

Please tell me that they are also in the WDW version or I will be crushed!

mouselover93
11-27-2007, 02:43 AM
mine is the life sized buzz lightyear in buzz light years space ranger spin

tink'72
11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I don't know what it is but I LOVE the Dad in the Carousel of Progress!

Figgyluv03
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Bean Bunny from MV3D....Gotta love him!!! Oh and the penguin orchastra. I also love all the little birds who sing in the Enchanted Tiki Room!

SpecJoe Magic
11-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I've never been to WDW, so I'm not sure if it's the same but I'm really hoping so!

On Splash Mtn at DL, when you re-enter the ride for the last time after the big drop, there are a porcupine and a racoon jamming together. The porcupine is playing the drums on a turtle shell and the racoon is playing a harmonica. They are my absolute favorite... so cute! :D

Please tell me that they are also in the WDW version or I will be crushed!

They are in the WDW version, but they are part of the "How Do You Do?" section instead of the "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" section.

LudwigVonDrake
11-27-2007, 02:34 PM
The original stars of the Tiki Room: Jose, Michael, Pierre and (mein goodness!) Fritz!

EPCOT84
11-27-2007, 07:30 PM
The pirate in PotC with one foot on the boat and one foot on the dock struggling with all his loot.

Miss Mouse
11-28-2007, 02:29 AM
They are in the WDW version, but they are part of the "How Do You Do?" section instead of the "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" section.

Yay!! Thanks so much for confirming this - you have no idea how happy this makes me!

Reading through this thread has also reminded me of a few more that I really like: the penguin orchestra and the Swedish chef from muppets, Micheal from the Tiki Room ("the gods have been angered by all the celebrating!" is probably my favorite line from the entire show), the old man ghost that hitches a ride at the end of HM and the bluebird with the tophat from Splash (I'm sure he has a name, but I don't know it).

Nothing beats Disney animatronics! :thumbsup:

4ubie1
11-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Ok...since I can not say a group of them, the one that stands out in my mind is the pirate that is sitting on the bridge with the hairy leg dangling down. It just amazes me the detail they put into their characters. BUT I have yet to see the new version of PotC so my fav might change :secret:

Oh and the cast of CoP....oopppsss!:blush: :D

goofysbabe
11-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I would have to say those folks in CoP. I just love that attraction.........It's a great big beautiful tomorrow!!!

magicman
11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I have 2:
I love the hula girls in Its a small world,their grass skirts are swaying back and forth,adorable.My new favorite is the Yeti in Expedition everest ! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Another vote for the Yeti.:thumbsup:

EJS-Houston
11-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Von Drake-I forgot about him! He's on my happy list, too!!!
Rachel

Where's Ludwig von Drake? I don't recall seeing him in any of the attractions and as he's a favorite character of mine, I'd hate to miss him again next time I'm there.

WonderlandsMostWanted
11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
My favorite, though no longer in his original form or glory, has been and always will be, Figment. From the moment I went on the old ride, it was instantly my favorite thing in all of Disney World. I cried when I learned they'd taken it away. I've been on the new ride, but it's not the same.

Long live Imagination! :figment:

JuicyMoose17
11-28-2007, 11:52 AM
You can't beat the dirty foot in pirates.

Figgyluv03
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh, I also love the orginal figment from the old version, and I love Tom Morrow in innoventions.

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
The yeti! Good one. Oh, and the Donald in Mickey's PhilharMagic. Love him!

wedway76
11-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Easy... Chester A. Arthur

2Epcot
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I really like the Yeti, Buzz, and Ben Franklin walking up the stairs in the American Adventure, but I still think my favorite is seeing C3-PO in Star Tours.

RedheadWriter
11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Where's Ludwig von Drake? I don't recall seeing him in any of the attractions and as he's a favorite character of mine, I'd hate to miss him again next time I'm there.

Hi! I was respondin to "Von Drake" the screen name of the poster. I am so sorry for the confusion I caused!
Rachel

century3
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a few favorites, myself. My current favorite is probably the Yeti in Expedition Everest (but a very close call with many others).

Some of my favorites of the past (no longer there) include Timekeeper, the caveman in World of Motion blowing on his hot/tired feet and Buzzy from Cranium Command. I know the last one may technically be there, but probably not for long and not on a regular viewing basis.

SignguyTom
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
The auctioneer selling brides in POTC. I heard somewhere that he is always first to be upgraded with new AA technology, that it's kind of a tradition with the Imagineers.

Mackflava99
11-28-2007, 05:05 PM
I have a few-
1.) I love Big Al- also the moose on the wall...
2.) Also I have to say- if you think of when it was completed - the Carosel of Progress has some good ones ( Rover:))
3.) Spaceship Earth had some good ones. especially the playwrites.
4.) The Brontosaurus in world of Energy

Davyjones
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
The auctioneer from Pirates! :skull:

"Shift yer cargo, dearie. Show'em yer larboard side."

Is larboard an actual word? :confused:

wedway76
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
"Shift yer cargo, dearie. Show'em yer larboard side."

Is larboard an actual word? :confused:

I always thought he was saying starboard, but I looked up larboard and it is a word. It is the opposite of starboard, it is the left side of a boat (when facing front).

texasteacher
11-29-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't know what it is but I LOVE the Dad in the Carousel of Progress!

He is my favorite as well!

Shanaynay
11-30-2007, 02:50 AM
The lady with the glowing heart in the Haunted Mansion, she always catches my eye (she's spooky), although I'm not positive that she would be considered an animatronic figure...:confused:

Melanie
11-30-2007, 02:52 AM
My family as a whole loves the sleeping monk in Spaceship Earth. Hope he's still there!

And I personally love the little (Egyptian???) winking girl in Small World. She's adorable!

EJS-Houston
12-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi! I was respondin to "Von Drake" the screen name of the poster. I am so sorry for the confusion I caused!
Rachel

:oops: That'll teach me to read more carefully.

WriteDisney
12-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Ooo this is a good one..

1- I'm happy to see the pirate with his hairy leg over the bridge has made an appearance in several posts. That's the first one that came to my mind

2-I love rover too. Carousel of Progress is definetely one of my favorites.

3-Its hard to pick a favorite on Splash Mountain (I love them all). But if I had to I'd pick the buzzards right before the big drop. I'm not sure that they are ones though. I believe they are.

Great post! :mickey:

ldn324
12-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Another "Rover" from CoP fan here!!

browneyedgirl12
12-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I like the talking trash can in Tomarrowland. Its hillarious when you put trash into it and then it burps and says thanks for the snack. You've got to love it.:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
12-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Big Al! He is incredible!

Main Street Jim
12-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm gonna throw in a little "Animatronics" trivia here...

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.. the man in the bathtub floating in the waterHe actually has a name: Cousin Elrod ;) :thumbsup:

POTC, one that always stands out for me, oddly, is the drunk guy with the cats around him.He is one of three Animatronic figures in PotC to actually be named in the attraction's script. Besides Cap'n Jack Sparrow, there's the mayor ("NO, NO, NO, NO, Carlos...do not TELL heem!" from the "screaming lady" up in the window above the well), and the "drunk guy with the cats" is "Ol' Bill". Listen to the audio as you pass next time you ride PotC.

I don't know what it is but I LOVE the Dad in the Carousel of Progress!The dad's name is John. Mom is Sarah, the daughter is Patricia (or Patty, depending on which show scene you're in ;)), and the son's name is Jimmy (or James, again, depending on which show scene you're in). There are four other Animatronic characters in CoP: Rover (the dog), ol' Uncle Orville, and the grandfather and grandmother in the last show scene (where Grandma's kickin' Jimmy's butt on the video game...LOL). The dog actually had different names in different show scenes for while, I believe when the show had the "Now is the Time" theme song going. I distinctly recall that at least one of the names was "Queenie". Oh - and one other piece of trivia about CoP. It's the only attraction that Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Loony Toons, etc.) has ever done a "Disney voice" for, working with Walt: he voiced the "Uncle Orville" character.

1.) I love Big Al- also the moose on the wall...There are twenty-three Animatronic characters in CBJ; the moose is named "Melvin". The deer is "Max", and "Buff" the buffalo. Can y'all name all of the others? ;)

The lady with the glowing heart in the Haunted Mansion, she always catches my eye (she's spooky), although I'm not positive that she would be considered an animatronic figure...That would be the bride in the attic, although she is more "holographic" now. She's *more awesome* now than she was before (after the refurb)!

I like the talking trash can in Tomarrowland. That would be "Push", although he's not really "animatronic". He's more "radio-controlled" ;)

The master entertainer of tomorrow land, Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic Rays .... got to love the act.Lil' story about Sonny that I've heard from an Imagineer friend of mine :thumbsup:
When Tomorrowland was being re-done in the mid-1990s and the Tomorrowland Terrace was being transformed into Cosmic Ray's, Imagineers wanted to put in a "lounge singer" of some sort "to entertain intergalactic travelers of Tomorrowland". Tony Baxter, then the head of Imagineering, told his guys if they could in under budget for the show, they could get it done. So, the crew apparently found a "spare" Trixie (from CBJ) to use as their frame for the Tomorrowland scene. They came in under budget by using an already-built Animatronic frame, and Sonny Eclipse was born :mickey::thumbsup: So next time you're here at the park, look at the similarities between Sonny and Trixe; you'd never guess they were "related"....LOLOLOLOL

Kurtoon
12-15-2007, 10:50 AM
I am always amazed at Tom Marrow
I have not seen the Yeti yet...but i think he will be my new favorite

jrpersinger
12-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Ofcoarse, I have to say the first Jack Sparrow also. My DD argued with me he was real the first time we seen him. You can leave that one out when it really does look that REAL!

My other fav is the Wicked Witch in GMR. And the munchkins. :cloud9:

Donald A
12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
My favorite, though no longer in his original form or glory, has been and always will be, Figment. From the moment I went on the old ride, it was instantly my favorite thing in all of Disney World. I cried when I learned they'd taken it away. I've been on the new ride, but it's not the same.

Long live Imagination! :figment:

:ditto: (Except for the crying part)

Gibbs
12-15-2007, 02:08 PM
My top three:

The Pirate with his foot hanging from the bridge on POTC

The Buzzards just before the drop on SM

The three Pirates in jail tring to coax the key from the dog on POTC:pirate:

Kisobel
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
i love the vultures in splash mountain. they always crack me up. we also love the new bride at the end of haunted mansion. hurry back.

kate

AbeeNormal
12-15-2007, 03:51 PM
I love them all....... but my favorite is the dog with the keys in POTC. :heart:

MissMaryPoppins
12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I like the pirate sitting on the bridge on "Pirates of the Caribbean". I remember a vacation planning tape we use to have that had a segment that focused specifically on that guy. I remember a guy in a deep announcers voice going "See the hairy leg" and a close up of the leg. I also liked the guy in "World of Motion" who fell off his bike into the mud and the woman laughing at him.

Joy

kathymk616
12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I love...

...the pig wallowing in POTC. He looks so happy. :D

...the robot dog in one of the scenes on the walkway exiting Space Mountain. I am fascinated by it, because I could swear it is the old "His Master's Voice" RCA mascot, but with the fur coat stripped off. Would WDW reuse an AA like that?

...the Wicked Witch of the West in MGM.

...impatient Mona Lisa in old SE in Epcot.

Miss Mouse
12-15-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm gonna throw in a little "Animatronics" trivia here...

Thanks for all the great trivia, Main Street Jim! It's cool to know that most of our faves have some interesting back-stories. You're just a wealth of knowledge! :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
12-16-2007, 07:35 AM
the robot dog in one of the scenes on the walkway exiting Space Mountain. I am fascinated by it, because I could swear it is the old "His Master's Voice" RCA mascot, but with the fur coat stripped off. Would WDW reuse an AA like that?From what I understand and what I've heard, that "robot dog" in the exit walkway is actually a re-used CoP "Rover" without the "skin". Look at the pose of Rover in, I believe, the first or second scene of CoP (where he's sitting - he's laying down in the other scenes), and then compare that with the "robot" dog. :thumbsup:

You're just a wealth of knowledge!Thanks!:mickey::blush:

kathymk616
12-16-2007, 09:47 AM
From what I understand and what I've heard, that "robot dog" in the exit walkway is actually a re-used CoP "Rover" without the "skin". Look at the pose of Rover in, I believe, the first or second scene of CoP (where he's sitting - he's laying down in the other scenes), and then compare that with the "robot" dog. :thumbsup:

AHA!!! I was beginning to think I was crazy. I certainly know everyone else did. Thank you for the confirmation!:thumbsup:

EmporerStitch
12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
1. STITCH:stitch::stitch2:
2. Yeti
3. Worker robots in Star tours(i cant remember their names)
4. Vultures in Splash mountian
5. Capt. Barbossa
6. PUSH
7.(he aint animatronic) Beaker:beaker:

AdventurerKim
12-18-2007, 01:36 PM
1. Original Figment and Dreamfinder figures
2. The ghosts in the graveyard in Haunted Mansion
3. The Redhead in POTC

grumpycajun
12-18-2007, 05:43 PM
The pirate in the mud with the pigs makes me laugh every time. Him and the one with the hairy leg and dirty foot swinging over your head.

brianlw71
12-18-2007, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Melanears;1485115]My family as a whole loves the sleeping monk in Spaceship Earth. Hope he's still there!

Rode it on the 17th and the monk is still there.

DawsonAR
12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Like most have said, my favorite is the pirate on the bridge with the hairy leg.

CaptSmee
12-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Well...it used to be the parrot outide of POC, but for some reason Disney removed him.:( I suppose now it would be the shivering graveyard keeper & his dog in the Haunted Mansion.

beksy
12-27-2007, 10:31 AM
The pirate in the mud with the pigs makes me laugh every time. Him and the one with the hairy leg and dirty foot swinging over your head.

Agreed! I love those and also the dog holding the keys outside the cell and the man trying to get the cats drunk. Basically, I just love the whole ride! :blush:

DWFaNaTiC
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
My fav is the Wicked Witch in the Munchkinland scene in the Great Movie Ride. I just think she is very life-like and overall one of the best of the basic animatronics figures they have. Though, my latest fav has to be the Yeti!!!

Darin M
12-27-2007, 10:50 PM
The old critics in Muppet 3D crack me up all the time. They are some cold blooded comedians.

KAJUNKING
12-28-2007, 02:06 AM
my favorites are the entire cast of The American Adventure

Victor

:ditto: if i had to pick one it would be mark twain in aa

tinklover
12-28-2007, 10:58 AM
I would have to say my favorit eis Capt Jack as well and i know we are not suposed to group them but i am a doll collector so it would have to be all of the children in IASW.:sorry:

Disney_Barbie
12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Wow, mine actually hasn't been said yet, well I guess it is a bit random, but I love her so much and talk about her so much that anytime ANYONE visits I end up with pix messages of her all week:
Ok, she's the bunny sweeping her front steps in Splash in the "time to be movin' along" song. DH & I always wonder if the bunny next to her out in the field is her dad, husband, or brother. We finally voted on husband, she looks awfully young to be married but maybe in Bunny Years she's alot older than she looks!

Main Street Jim
12-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I always wonder if the bunny next to her out in the field is her dad, husband, or brother.That'd be her brother ;) Take it from a former Splash CM ;) :thumbsup:

DisneyGiant
12-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Interesting post - interesting answers!

1. Pirate with hairy leg hanging over bridge
2. Surfer kid in IASW
3. Grandma in CoP
4. Uncle Orville CoP
5. The timekeeper (looking forward to when time travel is perfected - so I can go back in time and see him again!) LOL
6. Any of the dinosaurs on Dinosaur. They are sometimes too life like for my vivid imagination!!!

wonderalice23
12-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Probably too many to name, but I love Rex the Robot from Star Tours...and of course...Big Al!

Marilyn Michetti
12-29-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't know if this counts, and it's gone now, but the Timekeeper !!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

dolphinmickey9170
12-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I also like the guy in pirates that is trying to get the cats drunk.. he's one of my favorites.

"Here kitty kitty kitty..." :mickey:

I just love him too!! I love watching the kitties moving their heads back and forth like they are watching for mickey!:D

My family as a whole loves the sleeping monk in Spaceship Earth. Hope he's still there!

We were just there last week and our favorite sleeping monk was still snoring away! Gotta love him!

Another "Rover" from CoP fan here!!

Gotta love Rover. Someone tried to reach up and pat him last time and they jammed the ride. We ended up seeing the 40's 1 and 1/2 times and then moved into the christmas scene as dad was raising the temp on the oven.

However, my all-time favorite is the little eskimo boy (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2455246500042804337lhxWMQ)on IASW in the white room on the carousel on the right hand side. He is wearing a white parka that has fur on the hood on his head and he is holding a blue fish. I noticed, this time, that he has a different fish. It used to be one that he held by its tale, verticle, face down to the ground. Now he is holding a blue fish that is horizontal and a bit fatter, if you will. I try feverishly to snap his picture, but I either blurr it, or miss it. One of these days I will be successful.

I also love the koala bears (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2443322750042804337kULkIO)on IASW!!

DrWorm2008
12-29-2007, 09:54 PM
The new "bride" in the Haunted Mansion with the shiny axe. Love her! And that endless hallway with the floating candle bras and the new room with the freaky stairs is SO COOL!:thumbsup: