PDA

View Full Version : Flying with wrapped gifts

MNNHFLTX
11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I will be traveling (via plane) to a family Christmas gathering next month and have numerous gifts to transport with me. I normally heed the recommendation not to wrap the gifts before they go through security (in checked baggage), except my time will be very limited after I reach my destination and so would love to wrap at least some of them ahead of time. On our recent trip to England I brought back a fair amount of wrapped gifts in my checked luggage from some English friends to my in-laws, and they were untouched upon our arrival back in the states. So I began to wonder how many people actually had their wrapped gifts opened by TSA?

I'm thinking I might take the chance of wrapping everything (or most things) ahead of time. I figure the worst that can happen is that they will open anything that looks suspicious and I'll have to re-wrap them again. :shrug:

Tinkerfreak
11-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe you could pack some gift bags and tissue paper just in case some things do get unwrapped. This would be much quicker than actually wrapping with giftwrap.

wdw_bound
11-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I second the gift bag idea, or maybe UPSing them ahead of your trip. I personally have found the little note from TSA in my luggage three different times this year. It was very clear by the way my belongings were put back that everything was taken out and put back in (which is why I now pack undies in clear ziploc bags, but that's a whole 'nother post:blush:) There were no wrapped gifts in my cases, but I have to assume they would have been confiscated for further inspection. I just wouldn't want to risk losing Christmas presents. When you flew back from England, it wasn't TSA inspecting your bags (at least not unless you had a domestic flight as well), and standards can be very different.

disneymom15
11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I think I would also look into sending packages by UPS or Post Office. We've also had our checked bags inspected.

MaryPoppinsFan
11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
My cousin just left to return to Vegas about 3hrs ago with a whole suitcase of wrapped gifts. We'll see what happens. I didnt even think about it before hand and wrapped everything. shes going to try it, hopefully it will be okay :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
My cousin just left to return to Vegas about 3hrs ago with a whole suitcase of wrapped gifts. We'll see what happens. I didnt even think about it before hand and wrapped everything. shes going to try it, hopefully it will be okay :mickey:Just wondering--did your cousin have any problem with the gifts?

MsMin
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
When my dd flew to Canada for Christmas several years ago (post 9/11) we wrapped the gifts but left the ends open so they could peek inside. Airport security was very nice about it and appreciative that they could see the object. We do have a relatively small airport but it helped her when she got there to just add some tape. Wrapped boxes pack so well and shipping to Canada is $$$.

SBETigg
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't risk it. Why not ship them ahead? That way you can wrap them and avoid carrying them with you. The worst that can happen is not that you have to rewrap, but that you lose gifts en route or cause travel delays.

Traveling with wrapped gifts might seem like a good idea to you now, but consider your fellow travelers and the delays you can cause with it. This is why they ask that you don't do it-- it can potentially hold things up for everyone.

Dznygrl79
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Don't do it! A girlfriend of mine just came home to Delaware from California after visiting for Thanksgiving. Her parents sent her Christmas gifts wrapped with her since she will not be back home for the holidays. This turned into a major nightmare.
TSA pulled her luggage out and completely took it apart. She didn't know this so when she landed and her luggage didn't come off she went to the airlines lost luggage counter. After about 10 mins someone from the TSA came out and said her luggage had been detained because of unauthorized items, long story short they shipped her luggage home to her in pieces (with her paying shipping) with the gifts unwrapped 2 days later.
Its always better to be safe then sorry.
UPS them wrapped (last Christmas the Post Office wasn't letting you ship wrapped items so check about that first) if you want or bring wrapping paper with you.

MNNHFLTX
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Okay, I've been convinced not to wrap the items. I will just bring them along and have a massive wrapping session once I get there. I would ship them ahead of time, but I'm sure it would be quite costly, while it costs me nothing to bring them with me on the plane.

UPS them wrapped (last Christmas the Post Office wasn't letting you ship wrapped items so check about that first)I have never heard of that. I have sent packages of wrapped gifts through the post office for quite a few years without any problems.

Thanks for the input, everyone! :)