PDA

View Full Version : February or August

mousaholic
11-24-2007, 08:12 AM
My mother wants to take the whole gang (her kids and grandkids, total of 18 people) to WDW for her 70th birthday. I am in charge of planning...she wants to pay for everyone so she wants to go in August because it is cheapest. Going during the school year is not an option, too many teachers in the family. I think it may be way too hot in August for a 70 year old (atleast this one), yet it may be way too crowded Presidents week to see a lot of the parks. I have been in August and love it for our family. We are heading down for President's week 2008. We know the crowds are bad, we just don't know how bad.

Which time do you guys think is better for this situation?

faline
11-24-2007, 08:52 AM
If your mother is essentially healthy and has no medical conditions that would be exacerbated by the heat, I'd go with her choice of August (as late into the month as possible)!

tiaramom
11-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Presidents Week Is A Mad House-
My Cousins Go Each Year- Its Bad.
August Is A Much Better Choice
The Last Week - Still Crowds- Kids Are Still Out...so Its Your Call-
August Is Hot
Feb Is Very Chilly
Id Choose August ...

nancyL
11-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Id say August too. The parks are open later so you can use the evenings to go out and the afternoons to rest.
70 isnt THAT old. (grin).
I would insist on alot of rests in AC tho. And I agree with the later in August the better- is there any way you can go like the last week into labor day?
That would be the best week as far as crowds go.
Also, make sure you get an early start in the mornings.
Make sure the whole gang drinks alot!
Have FUN!!!!

SBETigg
11-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Having just been in August, I would choose February. August was lovely and crowds in the last two weeks were up and down(some days heavy, other days low), but I know that the heat really held us back. If I'd had my mother along, she would have spent most her vacation at the resort. She loves the heat, but this is the kind of heat that slows you down considerably and she couldn't have handled it. She's in her early sixties. It really depends on what kind of person you're dealing with, though. Some can handle the heat, some can't.

mousaholic
11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the input...keep it coming!

nancyL
11-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Why dont you go to trip reports and skim them for the participants ages and read through the ones that had older people in them that went in the hotter months and see what the reactions were.
Start in the August ones, then you'll get the reports of people who were there in July and read through (skimming) to early October. That should give you a good smattering of them!
I would think enough older people went that did trip reports (or went with people who did trip reports) that you would get a good idea too.
Just a thought. I know my parents would want to go in Aug but would complain the whole time about the heat. But if they went in Feb, they'd complain then too, just about something else. LOL. They just started complaining about stuff about 7-8 years ago- its just part of them now. They're still fun.
grin.

mousaholic
11-24-2007, 04:26 PM
That's a great idea...I will go read some trip report! I think my mother would enjoy the weather in February but the crowds may be unbearable for the whole group. She will definitely find something to gripe about either way...it is never perfect!

SBETigg
11-24-2007, 04:38 PM
That's a great idea...I will go read some trip report! I think my mother would enjoy the weather in February but the crowds may be unbearable for the whole group. She will definitely find something to gripe about either way...it is never perfect!

In that case, you are better off letting her choose the date. If she wants August and then it's too hot, it's her own choice to blame. If you say February would be better and then crowds are unbearable, it will be all your fault.

mousaholic
11-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow...it's like you know her! Good advice!