PDA

View Full Version : GF or Poly???

KAT1811
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm already starting to plan our next vacation and we're undecided whether or not we want to try GF or Poly. We know it is going to be one or the other but which one is still in the air. I think that Poly seems a little more kid friendly and DH wants the GF (he's hooked on the finer things in life) Right now we are trying to figure out what will appeal more to our children (DDs 11, 3, & 1) after all it is really all about them. Hoipefully some of you will be able to help. Thanks to all!!!

TammiMcMan
11-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Both are very comparable and I would suggest selecting whichever theme appeals to you more. I know a lot of people have this thing about the GF not being kid friendly and nothing could be further from the truth. We've been bringing our kids there since they were babies and it still remains their favorite resort. It's just the Victorian theme that puts people in the frame of mind, of look but don't touch or visiting a great Aunts house, where everything is covered in plastic. Not that I really blame anyone, because the first thing that always comes to mind when I'm at the Poly, is the Brady Bunch in Hawaii series :D.

Some things that I like about the GF is their theme pool and the private cabana rentals. I like that they have a hot tub for relaxing after a long day in the park and it's a theme that really appeals to me. My kids love Gasparillas Grille and the GF Cafe for meals. They like the pool side games and hearing the noises from the MK from the balcony of our room.

wedway76
11-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I've never been to either, so if you are looking for a post from someone with some insight you can stop reading now. :D

If someone walked up to me right now and said that I won a free vacation to my choice of the Poly or the GF, I think I would choose the Poly.:tikki:

I would LOVE to stay at either but I would choose the Poly because:

1. It’s a Disney World original.:mickey:
2. I love the plush tropical theming.:lei:
3. I like the location relative to the TTC :bus: so you have easy monorail access to both MK and EPCOT

RaRaRoundTheWorld
11-25-2007, 08:08 AM
We've stayed at the GF, and will be adding the Poly to our roster in a month or so. I definetly don't think the GF is "fancy" or "stuffy". To me, it's a hotel, not a castle.

I really like the GF for the fact that it had so many restaurants, character meals and the spa. For us, having small children, the on-site character meals saved us on travel time and allowed us to be even less rushed on our vacation.

Also, I like hotels with spas, so for me, it was great to have the GF spa on-site.

Having said all that, your choice of hotel depends upon what you are looking for.

KAT1811
11-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I am not going to base our choice solely on the dining options but they will certainly be a factor.

Half of the trouble we are having is that the themeing of both appeal to us. We love elegance and finery but also love the tropical ambiance. We just want to make sure that the kids have as much fun as possible.

I have heard people say that the GF is stuffy, glad to hear that someone disagrees. DH and I love fine dining, hotels, and resorts but are completely turned off by those that have that snotty, stuffy feel to it. Hence we will never stay at a Ritz hotel again.

As far as the spa is concerned that has no appeal to me on a Disney vacation. I just can't seem to break away from the family when I'm there. We're all about the family when we are there. Plus DD would want to come with me anyway, she LOVES the spa!!!

TammiMcMan
11-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I have heard people say that the GF is stuffy, glad to hear that someone disagrees.It's more a personal perception thing and many of those who feel that it is too stuffy, have never actually stayed there.

As far as the spa is concerned that has no appeal to me on a Disney vacation.The spa isn't even located inside the GF. It's in it's own building, which is located almost equal distance between the GF and the Poly. They do offer manicures and pedicures for the younger girls :secret:. And sometimes the spa employees will show up at the GF theme pool to give you a tired leg or foot massage. Even if the spa doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't get much nicer than booking a private cabana at the pool and scheduling a nice foot massage while you sit back and watch the kids swimming.

KAT1811
11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Even if the spa doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't get much nicer than booking a private cabana at the pool and scheduling a nice foot massage while you sit back and watch the kids swimming.

Now the private cabana certainly sounds like us. A little pampering while we're with the kids would be wonderful!

I'm trying to talk DH into pushing off the cruise a couple of years until the little ones get a little bigger and only doing DW again this year. Hopefully the private cabanas will be another feather in my DW cap!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
11-28-2007, 06:43 PM
My DD (4&1/2) and I are doing a mani/pedi together on our upcoming trip at the GF spa. I personally don't want her to do the BB Boutique. It's not in keeping with our family's taste. So, we thought this would be a fun alternative that I would feel comfortable doing with her.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you might enjoy the Poly more. It does have that amazing volcano pool, hula dancing lessons, a coffee bar and the luau!

GrmGrninGost
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
The Poly is so laid back and cool! Outside of the Wilderness Lodge, it is my all-time favorite WDW Resort! :mickey:

DDuck66
11-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I would say the POLY. Even though I have not stayed there yet (May 08 we are going), we have always liked the resort better than the GF. I cannot wait until May!!!!

Mom2princesses
11-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh boy do I totally understand! The past three trips (last one in August of this year) we have had a young one with us. There is no way I could survive without having monorail access. This year we went with a 3 yo and a 10 yo. Let me tell you it was HOT HOT HOT the last week of August as well and there was no way the kids (and us too!) would survive the whole day without taking a break in the afternoon. Actually the only time we didn't take a break was when we went to AK. We would go back to the hotel in the afternoon to go for a nice swim. It would energize us for the rest of the evening. I have never stayed at the GF but the Poly is our home. It is just so relaxing and my girls just love it. The volcano pool is great and so is the "quiet" pool. We spend most of our days at the MK and Epcot. It is such a quick walk from the TTC to the Poly. I mean literally 5 mins maybe even less. It was great just getting off the Epcot Monorail and walking back instead of having to walk back up the ramp and wait on the long lines waiting for the resort loop monorail especially when we came back after illuminations.

I don't know how you survived in that heat with two little ones! Even my 10 yo was whining! :silly:

Anyhow if you want to see some pics of the Poly check out my trip report the first day has pics of the room and the view from our room. (post number 13)

Have fun planning your next trip! I think you are going to love it no matter where you choose to stay both are wonderful choices but my heart belongs to the Poly!

Polynesian Dweller
11-30-2007, 02:54 PM
It is a matter of the style that you want to experience. The spa is really shared between the two resorts so that isn't a decision maker. Its about equidistant so travel time isn't an issue.

Dining options also aren't really an issue either. There is a very nice paved walkway between the two which takes about 10-15 minutes to cross. We stay at the Poly and walk over to GF for Narcoossees every year. For that matter, we visit the shops at the GF as thought they are in the same hotel. Not an issue.

The cabanas could be because they are only available to GF people but then GF can't use the Poly volcano pool and vice versa. The cabanas book fast (only 2 or 3) so it could be quite difficult to get them. So don't use that either unless you are absolutely sure you 1. can't live without it and 2. are sure you can get one.

That said, we go to the Poly because it is so laid back and relaxing. As beautiful as the GF is we are habppy to enjoy it as part of the vacation when we want the luxury but then have the laid back part as the primary. We feel we get the best of both worlds that way. :mickey:

So try to figure out what is important to you and your kids and then pick which you want and be prepared to enjoy the best of both when you are there.

Noahrk
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
We are currently at WDW and staying at the Poly. Our check in however caused us some problems with not having a handicaped room so the Poly put us up in the GF for 2 nights. We have 4 children ages 2-13. The GF was very stuffy to us. It is a place where kids look and dress perfectly in cardigan sweaters, name brand clothing etc. and where the people that stay there are showy/put on airs that they have money. The beds at GF are the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the room is very spacious. The pools for the kids don't even compare-poly's volcano pool much more fun. I think the food choices for families are also better at Poly. Bottom line, Poly and GF are both deluxe resorts-both cost a lot of money, however, the biggest difference for me is that the Poly has warmth and character. The GF is cold and a show place.:cool:

KAT1811
11-30-2007, 09:05 PM
This is SO hard. I was leaning more towards the GF but now I don't know. DH and I love fine things as do our DDs but we don't care for that "I'm better than everyone" atmosphere (enough people like that in our neighborhood) and are really looking for that true Disney feel. You know the one, like the complete stranger next to you is your long lost best friend because the both of you are as happy as can be vacationing in WDW with your family. I love the warm feeling I get in WDW and do not want ot encounter a cold stuffy feel in our hotel. Maybe the Poly is the way to go with our little ones, especially for the cool volcano pool.

disneyluva
11-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I too am conflicted about my next trip 10-08. We've been to thr GF twice with our little ones - it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not too fancy or stuffy! Me and my family were all in sweats and sneakers just like everyone else at WDW, and never felt under dressed or uncomfortable at the resort. It gives you the feeling that you've never left Main Street USA!! We love it!!!!!!

KAT1811
11-30-2007, 10:08 PM
It's so funny how different people report on the GF. Some feel that it is too stuffy and others say that is so not true. I think we might try it and make our own assumption; but then again the Poly sounds beautiful too!!! I'm SOOOO torn too!!! Maybe we'll all get a vote and go from there. There are three of us that are able to vote (DH, DD 11, and myself. DD
1 & DD 3 are too little to vote!!!) Both resorts appeal to me for different reasons.

I think DH will certainly go for GF, good friends of ours stayed there on our last trip and DH spent some time there after golf and enjoyed it. Whichever resort we choose this time will just give us an excuse to go again next year to try the other!!! Alas, a bright side!!!

BeccaO
11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
You will find many different opinions about the Grand Floridian, but the post above about the kids in cardigan sweaters and name brand clothing is a bit off. I have been to many upscale hotels and the Grand Floridian is one of the places that you can visit and just be yourself and not feel out of place. As for people who are showy and put on airs, I see that all over Disney not just the GF. The bottom line is, if it is somewhere you want to stay and it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it!!! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. It's a beautiful resort, my husband won't stay anywhere else. We have gotten used to the Royal Palm Club and all their amentities. Their ladies that tend to the lounge are amazing and are so willing to get you anything you need, especially if you have you children. We are counting down the days until our next trip in 6 weeks!!!

Tigerinvestigator
11-30-2007, 10:32 PM
The Polynesian is simply my favorite resort at WDW and I have stayed there many times over the years. We stayed at the GF for the first time last May and I have to say it is incredible, but the Poly gets the edge for sentimental and relaxation reasons!:thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
12-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, I saw the same thing posted on another board and had to laugh. Honestly, it's a silly thing to say. You're at a vacation destination with thousands of people. You are going to run into those that wear labels, simply because they choose to buy them. The GF may have a few more "dressy" people milling around their resort, but that's mainly because they're wedding guests or are eating at Victoria & Alberts or even Citrico's.

While the Volcano pool may be more appealing to kids (not mine), the Poly pool does have a tendency to be much more crowded than the GF.

You should definitely choose based on your own personal preference to the theme. I wouldn't let anyone on a message board scare me away from staying somewhere. If you look hard enough, you'll find bad comments about every resort on Disney property.

KAT1811
12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I have to confess that our family is a family that dresses in the finer labels and chooses dressier clothing but simply for the reason that, that is what we are most comfortable in. Most often in WDW DH is in a short-sleeved button down or polo, the girls in a sundress with their hair fixed nicely, and I in a skirt and tank. We are much cooler in the parks with the clothing that breathes and flows. I think we would fit in perfectly in both resorts and that we would enjoy each resort immensly. That is half of my problem.

The GF has it's good points:

1.) close proximity to MK & Epcot
2.) luxury ammenities (such as the cabanas)
3.) beautiful victorian theming (I love the victorian era and it's elegance)
4.) wonderful upscale dining
5.) two close friends call the GF home on their WDW vacations and love it

The Poly also has it's good points:

1.) also has close proximity to the MK & Epcot
2.) a wonderfully themed pool
3.) warm and inviting south pacific theming
4.) fun dining choices
5.) it's a classic WDW hotel

I have yet to find a downside to either. Both themes weigh equally in our preferences making this decision much harder than I anticipated.

I have debated splitting our stay between the two resorts but am having some reservations because of the actual move. I suppose that I could move our things (along with bell services) while DH and the children swim at the pool but I am worried about how smooth a transition it will be (will we have to check out of one resort before our room is ready in the other). I am also afraid that we will settle in so much that we will not want to leave the first resort to move to the other and by then we'll be obligated to do so. What is your thoughts on splitting a stay with three children?

krorx
12-01-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either. We love the Poly for it's relaxed atmosphere and south pacific feel. And the restaurants are quite good. We did take a quick tour of GF on our last trip and found it beautiful, but because it's Victorian themed, it does have a more "stuffy" feel to it. Still, if you love Victorian theming, I'm sure you would enjoy it. Whatever you choose, you will have a great time. And that monorail is worth every penny we paid! :D

RaRaRoundTheWorld
12-01-2007, 11:33 AM
IMO the way people chose to dress and where they choose to stay on vacation is not done to show off or put on airs. It's a hard-earned vacation after all!!

I'm surprised that other people view having different tastes in dress, etc., as being done to make other people feel bad. IMO shows off and cardigans can be found in any hotel.

Have you considered doing a split say between the 2 hotels? We're about to do this shortly, since we couldn't decide between the hotels ourselves. From what I've been told, whatever problems arose in the switch were minor.

KAT1811
12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Have you considered doing a split say between the 2 hotels? We're about to do this shortly, since we couldn't decide between the hotels ourselves. From what I've been told, whatever problems arose in the switch were minor.

I was thinking of trying a plit stay and would love to hear about your experience when you get back.