PDA

View Full Version : Reckless Drivers

pink
11-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey everyone, this has been bothering me for awhile and I'm just curious about how others feels about this problem.

Last night I was driving to work and in front of me was a limo who was going pretty slow but it was because he was looking for a street sign and the road is dark. However, out of nowhere this truck comes up behind my little car and was tailgatting me inches away from my bumper. He must have been behind me for less than a minute when he decided to go onto oncoming traffic to get around both of us. The cars coming the other way had to slam on there breaks just to prevent from hitting this truck. Then later down the road the truck was stuck behind another person going the speed limit and got impatient and went onto ucoming traffic again!

I don't understand why people feel the need to drive this way. He could have potentially gotten into two accidents that night and hurt so many people including himself. It seems that whenever people drive in that manner they never get caught.

Does anybody else have similar experiences like this lately?

mttafire
11-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Sometimes its the slow drivers that actually are the causes of accidents.
I have to admit...I do drive aggressive.:blush:

EPCOT84
11-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Does anybody else have similar experiences like this lately?

Yes, it's called the daily commute in LA.

PirateLover
11-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Sometimes its the slow drivers that actually are the causes of accidents.
I have to admit...I do drive aggressive.:blush:

You know, every so often this topic comes up here on intercot and this debate arises. Unless the weather is bad, I do agree that it can be dangerous to go below the speed limit. But the limit is the law, whether you think it's the right speed or not. And just because someone is going too slow for your tastes does not mean you should tailgate them. It is so dangerous.

I myself tend to go about 10 mph above the speed limit when there isn't much traffic, but I can't stand those who go 90 in a 65 and dart in and out of lanes without using directionals.

IloveDisney71
11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't live in a major city and I don't have a long commute but I encounter drivers like this at least once a week. I usually drive 5 miles over the speed limit and get very mad when people are tailgating me like I'm going under the speed limit. Last week, I was following 3 other cars (I was leaving a safe distance between me and the car in front of me)...when this crazy driver came flying up on me...he proceeded to pass me on a double line so he could tail gate the person in front of me. He couldn't get anywhere without passing the next 3 cars!!!He risked the safety of the children in his van with him...to get one car length ahead! I have always pointed out drivers like this to my children and said there is never anywhere that you need to be getting to in a hurry that is worth risking your life or the lives of others!!!

mttafire
11-22-2007, 05:19 PM
You know, every so often this topic comes up here on intercot and this debate arises. Unless the weather is bad, I do agree that it can be dangerous to go below the speed limit. But the limit is the law, whether you think it's the right speed or not. And just because someone is going too slow for your tastes does not mean you should tailgate them. It is so dangerous.

I myself tend to go about 10 mph above the speed limit when there isn't much traffic, but I can't stand those who go 90 in a 65 and dart in and out of lanes without using directionals.
Honestly, 10mph over is about how i drive also.
the speed limit in Ohio is 65..I almost always go 75 on the freeways.

EPCOT84
11-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Unless the weather is bad, I do agree that it can be dangerous to go below the speed limit. But the limit is the law, whether you think it's the right speed or not. And just because someone is going too slow for your tastes does not mean you should tailgate them. It is so dangerous.

There's a car insurance commercial that takes place in a supermarket. This guy is jamming around the aisles with his cart like a crazy man. He comes up smack behind a lady taking her time shopping. There's plenty of aisle space. He stands there waving impatiently hoping she will speed up. The voice over says "you would never do this here, so why do this on the road?"

RedheadWriter
11-22-2007, 06:21 PM
An internet search on the worst drivers in the USA will yield the results that Massachusetts and Rhode Island are at the top of that list. I can tell you from personal experience that this is true. Maybe because I work from home and make my own schedule and am not rushed, but I do notice that NO ONE is patient anymore. HEllo, people! A month in a hospital bed or a lifetime in a wheelchair because of your need to be someplace NOW is just not worth it. Also, I think it is the height of selfishness to risk OTHERS lives on the road.
I am a little passionate about thsi subject as i am a former EMT who was involved with a mortician. We both saw a lot of the 'result' of being in too much of a hurry .
Rachel

mrsHerbie53
11-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I personally think that every year or two in order for one to keep his/her license current, it should be mandatory for everyone to do some community service hours helping those seriously involved in car accidents. One careless moment can change not only another driver's life, but their family's and friends' lives that help them out going to surgeries and physical therapy, taking them meals, etc. if they are fortunate enough to not be killed. We should also have to watch films showing accidents and the damage that can be caused by going the speed limit, let alone however much over.
I certainly am not a perfect driver and could use a good reminding every once in awhile too. We have way too many distractions while we drive. And the scary thing is we can be focusing intently on our driving and then some nutjob comes at us in our lane because he/she just HAS to be in front of the next car. We can be as careful as possible and someone can take our lives from us, literally or as we know it, in a heartbeat.

The definition of vehicular manslaughter includes speeding. So if someone is just a few miles over the speed limit the vehicular manslaughter may only be charged as a misdemeanor, but at that point does it matter if it is a misdemeanor or a felony??? Someone is dead...

Just think... If we all (me included) would just leave 15 minutes earlier we could drive the actual speed limit and be safer drivers (and your blood pressure may be better too). :secret:

Everyone is all consumed about the price of gas, just 5 or 10 mph faster uses a fair amount more of gas. Try driving for one tank of gas averaging one speed and check your mileage. Then do another tank averaging 5-10 mph slower and check your mileage -- you may be surprised!

Sorry for the length. I just have seen too much senseless pain and agony that could have easily been avoided.

RedheadWriter
11-22-2007, 07:10 PM
mrsHerbie53, I loved reading your post! BRAVO!!!
Rachel

BelleandtheBeast
11-22-2007, 07:12 PM
If someone is driving recklessly it is ok to call 911 an report it. I do this when I feel like someone is endangering the lives of other. I have a child and when he is in the car with me it makes me even more angry.

pink
11-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I usually got 10 over the speed limit if the roads are empty as well, but I never tailgate anyone. I agree- people are not patient anymore and it does pay to leave 15 minutes early. Some people are dangerously impatient.

Ian
11-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Sometimes its the slow drivers that actually are the causes of accidents.Amen to that.

... I can't stand those who go 90 in a 65 and dart in and out of lanes without using directionals.You must drive on the Schuylkill a lot. ;)

Piglet822
11-22-2007, 09:03 PM
As a professional driver I see what you are describing every day, several times a day.
The best advice I can offer is to drive defensively and don't try to "get back" at someone because they made you angry.
It only takes one mistake to change a life forever.

MiaBella
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes i can tell you what it takes away in a split second. My parents were in a accident b/c a woman was on a cell phone and ~ thought she could make it~
Well she didn't and almost 15 years later my mother who has missed ever holding her grandchildren or even being able to carry a half gallon of milk and has suffered 2 back surgeries later only to find out they won't work. This is what it can take away in a blink of a second.

Here we go again...
11-22-2007, 11:54 PM
One of our pharmacists recently lost his wife because of an agressive driver.
She was in a little Prius driving the speedlimit on hwy 90. Most of you do not know what hwy 90 is... it is a highway here that still has areas where cars can cross the highway. There are so many accidents and deaths that people drive with bumper stickers that say "Pray for me - I drive highway 90".

Anyway, Don's wife was driving and there was a man in a truck talegating another car. He switched lanes and hit his wife from behind. There ended up being 3 or 4 cars in the wreck and she was killed. The driver of the truck was barely injured. Why is it always the inocent person that dies?

Please be careful out there. If you have never done it, take a defensive driver class. Since I am on the road so much I can tell you that class kept me from getting in many accidents and from doing many stupid things.

PirateLover
11-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Honestly, 10mph over is about how i drive also.
the speed limit in Ohio is 65..I almost always go 75 on the freeways.
As long as you use directionals and don't tailgate, then I don't really consider that aggressive driving.

Amen to that.
You must drive on the Schuylkill a lot. ;)
I used to! Every day for 4 years to and from college. The Schuykill is the worst in bad weather conditions. I swear people go faster when it's raining/snowing. And the people who don't wipe the snow off the top of their car!!!! UGH!! But honestly, I've been working in NJ this past year or so and I've seen worse drivers on 295/42 than I ever saw on the Schuykill. :down:

pink
11-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Why is it always the inocent person that dies?

It's so sad but true.

I also feel that the innocent person gets pulled over more often than the real reckless drivers.
A few monthes ago I got pulled over by a town cop because he says that I didn't "fully stop at a stop sign" when I'm sure that I did. I saw the cop why wouldn't I fully stop? :confused:
Yet, when someone is buzzing in and out of lanes and being dangerous they never get pulled over. I don't understand.

Terra
11-23-2007, 07:24 PM
If someone is driving recklessly it is ok to call 911 an report it. I do this when I feel like someone is endangering the lives of other. I have a child and when he is in the car with me it makes me even more angry.

I've done this! [well I was in my smaller town so I called the local police station....but I'm pretty sure the person was drunk because they were weaving all over the road nearly hitting everyone...

I also do this when I don't see children in carseats!! Another topic though that gets my blood boiling!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
My sisters and I think nothing of calling the police if we see reckless driving on the road. We've actually seen the cops pull the person over. So don't be afraid to use the resources available to you. Get the plate, make and model and color of the car if at all possible. And make sure you tell the cops what road you are on and what direction you are heading. If you aren't sure if it's north, south etc, tell them what town you just came from and what town you are heading towards. The more info the better chance that the cops will catch the person.

pink
11-24-2007, 09:54 AM
This morning another person went into uncoming traffic again!

I think next time I'm going to call the cops like Payroll Princess said.

luvdiznee
11-24-2007, 10:07 AM
It is getting more dangerous to drive. Last night when I was going to the store I'm going up a street in the city so certainly going the speed limit also because I knew it was somewhat slippery. Well I am approaching a side street that had a STOP sign at their end and of course they do a half of stop and just about run it, causing me to have to slam on my brakes and almost go into a sign. And did they even slow down or blink, of course not! :mad: I've also seen where people are passing too many red lights, the last time this guy had a cop behind him and he pulled over thinking he was caught, but no, the cop himself just kept going. :mad:

Ian
11-24-2007, 12:12 PM
But honestly, I've been working in NJ this past year or so and I've seen worse drivers on 295/42 than I ever saw on the Schuykill. :down:Oh yeah ... as hard as it is to believe, 295 is worse than the Schuykill. I used to drive that regularly and saw amazing things.

My sisters and I think nothing of calling the police if we see reckless driving on the road. We've actually seen the cops pull the person over. So don't be afraid to use the resources available to you. Get the plate, make and model and color of the car if at all possible. And make sure you tell the cops what road you are on and what direction you are heading. If you aren't sure if it's north, south etc, tell them what town you just came from and what town you are heading towards. The more info the better chance that the cops will catch the person.You know I may be wrong here, but I'm relatively certain that (at least in PA) police can't issue citations for traffic violations that they, themselves, didn't witness.

I don't think you should be able to just call the cops and say, "I saw so-and-so driving recklessly ... " and have that person be issued a ticket. That's absurd.

mttafire
11-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah ... as hard as it is to believe, 295 is worse than the Schuykill. I used to drive that regularly and saw amazing things.

You know I may be wrong here, but I'm relatively certain that (at least in PA) police can't issue citations for traffic violations that they, themselves, didn't witness.

I don't think you should be able to just call the cops and say, "I saw so-and-so driving recklessly ... " and have that person be issued a ticket. That's absurd.
You are correct Ian. Police WILL NOT issue tickets based on callers.
YES it is absurd.

Terra
11-24-2007, 03:17 PM
You are correct Ian. Police WILL NOT issue tickets based on callers.
YES it is absurd.

Eh, I don't think it's absurd to call though and report so that they can keep an eye out...

Like I said...I've done that when I don't see babies and children in carseats...I've even gone as far as to pull up next to the person and tell them to get the child in a car seat or I was turning in their license plate number to the police...people move pretty fast then!

I do think it's crazy to issue a ticket when the police did NOT see anything though...just because you don't know if the other person was truly telling the truth...I think this is what you meant though :)

mttafire
11-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Terra, Yeah, Thats what i meant. The police DO have to see it.
However terra, If you see a drunk driver and report them. The police WILL ask for your location and then try to find the suspect. THEN they can actually witness it.
Good points all around.
Shawn

Terra
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Terra, Yeah, Thats what i meant. The police DO have to see it.
However terra, If you see a drunk driver and report them. The police WILL ask for your location and then try to find the suspect. THEN they can actually witness it.
Good points all around.
Shawn

Yeah, I've done that...and the police came right away...I was behind the guy so I was able to give them detailed info of where we were...
Drunk driving is so scary!!

DisneyOtaku
11-24-2007, 07:57 PM
One of our pharmacists recently lost his wife because of an agressive driver.
She was in a little Prius driving the speedlimit on hwy 90. Most of you do not know what hwy 90 is... it is a highway here that still has areas where cars can cross the highway. There are so many accidents and deaths that people drive with bumper stickers that say "Pray for me - I drive highway 90".

Anyway, Don's wife was driving and there was a man in a truck talegating another car. He switched lanes and hit his wife from behind. There ended up being 3 or 4 cars in the wreck and she was killed. The driver of the truck was barely injured. Why is it always the inocent person that dies?

Please be careful out there. If you have never done it, take a defensive driver class. Since I am on the road so much I can tell you that class kept me from getting in many accidents and from doing many stupid things.

I am so sorry to hear that. My mother and I had to drive highway 10 a few days ago to pick up my sister from LSU since the interstate was/is closed because of the well fire (which, btw, is a miracle no one was killed! it shouldn't be so close to the road!)

Anyway, the drive was HORRIBLE. People were in a huge rush to get to Baton Rouge and the large trucks seemed super-close to us. and on the way back, it started raining and the ONE LIGHT in Port Barrie was out -_- Talk about a mess.

I hate driving over that super-long bridge on the interstate, but I will take that anyday over highway 10!

SteveL
11-24-2007, 08:13 PM
You know I may be wrong here, but I'm relatively certain that (at least in PA) police can't issue citations for traffic violations that they, themselves, didn't witness.

It really depends upon the circumstances. I used to issue citations that way quite often. However, the witness/complainant was then obligated to appear in court and testify against the defendant. Once they hear of that, most complainants backed down pretty quickly.

EPCOT84
11-24-2007, 08:38 PM
My sisters and I think nothing of calling the police if we see reckless driving on the road.

Remember to always have a passenger call it in if possible. If you are by yourself and you don't have a hands free phone, pull over and off the road to where its safe, then place the call.

Calls can help to alert the authorities to an unsafe situation, where the car is headed or may head. In LA, the land of never ending car chases :car: a call or text to 911 or even the local stations have many times alerted them to a dangerous situation, allowing the authorities to evacuate the area ahead.

PirateLover
11-25-2007, 12:44 AM
In many areas, especially on highways, there are often signs that ask you to report aggressive driving. Then the cops can come and see it for themselves. But yea, they shouldn't be able to automatically fine you if they didn't see it, otherwise every jilted ex lover or arch nemesis would be calling in plates all the time.

BelleandtheBeast
11-25-2007, 03:38 PM
I also do this when I don't see children in carseats!! Another topic though that gets my blood boiling!![/QUOTE]

SO do I :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gotta keep those kiddies safe.