PDA

View Full Version : POP Century New Construction

SignguyTom
11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I was just checking out Google Earth and the picture of POP looks like 'Phase II' was barely underway. There were 2 guest buildings erected and the foundations begun for the rest. It also looked like the main building was up. I am assuming this is an addition to POP. Maybe an entirely new resort..?

I know the Google Earth pics are somewhat dated, so I was wondering how much progress they have made in the construction of this other phase?

It may even be done by now. We will be staying there as a 2 night 'add-on' to our BWV stay next May and I'm curious what to expect as far as construction.

JPL
11-20-2007, 06:17 PM
This is actually old abandoned construction that was started and never finished it looks exactly the same today. Disney decide after September 11th when tourism dropped not to complete this area of Pop Century and left it as is. There have been rumours about it being completed as Family Suites in the future but no progress has been made.

wedway76
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
When we were there in 2006 it looked like some of the guest room buildings were done and they were just painted beige.

Family suites would be nice.

BelleandtheBeast
11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I had heard about the 2007 condtruction being stopped, that is kinda sad and I hope they get to finish it sometime in the near future.:mickey::mickey:

JPL
11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Construction stopped sometime in 2001/2002 when they chose only to finish the first phase of the project.

Buttercup
11-22-2007, 12:10 PM
The Pop Century resort that is complete is called the "Classic Years". This features buildings and icons from the 1950's up to the 1990's.
The ones that were abandoned were called the "Legendary Years" and were supposed to feature everything from 1900 to the 1940's. You wouldn't even know that these buildings are actually there -- they are across a small lake from the Classic Years buildings -- and were originally supposed to be connected by bridge. They are all just painted a dull-brown colour and are sadly overgrown with weeds.

If you go to YouTube you can see video that someone took of the abandoned buildings. Just look for "Pop Century Legendary" and you'll find it. :mickey: