PDA

View Full Version : ECV on boats?

TiggeRia
11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum in which to post this, so feel free to move it if needed. I just have a quick question about ECVs. We will be renting one from an outside company for my father (only has one lung due to lung cancer). My question is this--can ECVs go on the boats that go from the MK to FW? We are having dinner at Fort Wilderness, and I am trying to decide whether we will be able to get there from the MK or whether we should just take a personal vehicle. We are planning on spending the rest of the evening at the MK, so it would be easier to use the boat. I know that the ECVs can go on the large ferry, I just wasn't sure about the smaller boats. Thank you so much for any help. :mickey:

ElenitaB
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I've been able to use an ECV the Friendship boats (i.e., the pontoon boats used on the Epcot waterways) without a problem. They do allow them on the launches that travel between Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge and the Magic Kingdom. However, in 02 we weren't allowed to roll my mother onto the launch in a wheelchair due to water level issues.

I did call the WL front desk to confirm that you can use it, so I'm guessing that Bay Lake's water levels are in better shape now.

offwego
11-21-2007, 09:34 AM
We've also used one on the boats from DTD to PORS as well as POFQ if that helps.

TheDuckRocks
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Using the ECVs on the boats and monorails is much, much, much easier than getting on and off the buses.:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't know, Kay, I found backing onto the monorail to be pretty stressful. But you're so right... getting on and off the buses is nerve-wracking (particularly when you have an audience who's annoyed with you to begin with).

TiggeRia
11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Thank you so much for your help!!! It will be easier to take the boat than to have to take the ECV apart and pack it in the car. Last time we were there we stayed at the Poly and it was so nice using the monorail for almost everything. This time we're at AKL, and it's going to be a bit tougher using buses all the time, but hopefully it will be ok! Thanks again for all of your help-it is truly appreciated. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
11-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I've never had a problem with the boats. The C.M.'s are used to getting ECV folks on and off.:thumbsup:

MsMin
11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
The biggest problem we had was my mom was afraid she would fall in the water or fall through the crack getting on the monorail :jaw: She would only take the bus. Next time I'm not telling her in advance that we are headed that way:thedolls:. I can always get one of the kids to drive on if needed. It's just amazing some of the fears our parents can have when they get older. Don't hesitate to drive on for him. I only mention it b/c I never dreamed fear would create such a problem.

TheRustyScupper
11-22-2007, 05:11 AM
1) The FW-WL-MK boats can handle ECV's.
2) As mentioned above, depends upon water level.
3) The boat will tell you when it arrives.
4) Unfortunately, resorts don't know, because boats don't tell them.

NOTE: "Usually" ECV's and boats
. . . friendship boats - yes (eg. Epcot & MGM)
. . . pontoon boats - yes (eg. DTD & POR-POFQ-OKW-SSR)
. . . large launches - yes (eg. FW-WL-MK, some fireworks cruises)
. . . medium launches - no (eg. FW-WL-CR, Poly/GF-MK)
. . . ferry - yes (eg. TTC-MK)

TheDuckRocks
11-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't know, Kay, I found backing onto the monorail to be pretty stressful. But you're so right... getting on and off the buses is nerve-wracking (particularly when you have an audience who's annoyed with you to begin with).

Ellen is backing on to the monorail something new? I've always pulled straight on and then either backed off or have gone forward and out the other set of doors. (I don't know why but I can manage backing out of a place using my ECV better than backing into somewhere.)
That audience at the bus stops is something that is so uncalled for and rude, if all those people would only realize we would all be on the bus much faster if you would only kindly not make me so nervous.:blush: