PDA

View Full Version : Judi Dench

mttafire
11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
According to my buddy on Orlando fire: Judy Dench WILL be the new narrator for SSE.
Obviously this isnt official but...He aint been wrong yet!:thumbsup:
Shawn

iDisney
11-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Interesting choice, if this turns out to be true. I will still have to adjust from hearing "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship..."

SpecJoe Magic
11-20-2007, 04:52 AM
I didn't expect it to be her. It may take me a little while to adjust to the new narrator, but it's definitely worth it because Spaceship Earth was due for a substantial update. :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
11-20-2007, 06:14 AM
:thumbsup: I like her! I love Jeremy Irons, too, and always enjoyed listening to his smooth accent on the ride. They have always chosen people with "ear candy" (LOL) voices to narrate.
Rachel

LibertyTreeGal
11-20-2007, 07:28 AM
She is spectacular, one of the best actresses around :thumbsup: Great choice, I hope it turns out to be true!

PiratesCove
11-20-2007, 07:59 AM
I enjoy Judy Dench...but...I would have preferred Jeremy Irons being kept as the voice of SSE. :(

Melanie
11-20-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about a woman doing the narration. :unsure: I guess I'll have to actually hear it to decide.

brad192
11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Ehh.....I still miss Walter C.:(

PirateLover
11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Has she ever narrated anything before? Just so I could see how her voice sounds... She is indeed a great actress but she's got some tough shoes to follow. Personally, if they had to switch I was hoping they went with Morgan Freedman (not possible now I'm guessing because he's signed up to promote Universal) or Patrick Stewart. Time will tell. It may take us time to get used to, but I think Disney knows how big of a deal this is and wouldn't just choose someone will nilly.

magicofdisney
11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Interesting choice, if this turns out to be true. I will still have to adjust from hearing "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship..."
Oh...me too. As much as I love SSE, that narration is my favorite. I'll have a hard time adjusting. :(

chrisb26
11-21-2007, 11:40 PM
This will be intresting I do like the way she talks but I don't know if it will just be too different or not. I really liked Jeremy Irons and will miss his narration.

For those of you that don't know her by name she played M on the James Bond films.

jrkcr
11-23-2007, 11:45 AM
I love Dame Judi Dench in As Time Goes By!! :thumbsup: And she was just perfect in Mrs Brown. She is so talented!! I think having a totally different sounding voice on the "new" ride is a good way to go. Yes, I agree Morgan Freeman would have been nice too...but thats because he has the voice of "God!" hahaha

EPCOT84
11-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm with Brad162. Walter Cronkite version was classic for the few short years. When it changed to Jeremy Irons (didn't realize it was him), I was a little shook up, but then all rides change. I can easily imagine a Judi Dench voice over. Good choice.

Slightly off topic but speaking of voice-over changes, I was surprised when I rode Livin' with the Land with its new voice this summer. Before, the old Listen to the Land with the song was corny but more uplifting. The new voice-over is very soothing and without the song, it changes the tone of the ride. I actually think it makes it more like the original serious EPCOT Center than when it had "Listen to the Land". LIvin' with the Land is a retro '80's version that never was.

EmporerStitch
12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
i like Jeremy Irons but he's kinda stuffy and boring. Patrick Stewart would be good as would Morgan Freeman but my vote would be William Shatner.:number1:

lasttuesday
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I...was...just going....to....say that....I....was hoping for....William Shatner.

RedheadWriter
12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
All I would think of with William Shatner is the Priceline Negotiator! hahahaha

EmporerStitch
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
well if the message was communication then he'd be great he communicates with his hands and voice in a unique way granted we wouldnt see him as he narrates. id just be waiting for him to say "Mr. Spock ahead warp 9"

Cinderelley
12-03-2007, 04:18 AM
I...was...just going....to....say that....I....was hoping for....William Shatner.

:laughing:

dudeman1975
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
According to the Orlando Sentinnell Judi Dench will be the narrator.

Ed
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
From today's Orlando Sentinel:

Epcot's Spaceship Earth to reopen mid-December
Christopher Boyd
Jason Garcia and Scott Powers, Sentinel Staff Writers

December 3, 2007

Epcot's Spaceship Earth ride is expected to reopen in mid-December for sneak previews with a new story overlay, new technology and a whole new soundtrack -- created by 10-time Emmy Award-winning composer Bruce Broughton, a 63-piece orchestra and a 24-voice choir.

Walt Disney Imagineering announced late last week that Broughton's music has been fitted to each scene in the attraction's storyline, which follows the history of human innovation from one generation to the next, from prehistoric times to the 21st century.

The ride was closed earlier this year as the entire system also has been updated with new show scenes, lighting, costumes, set decorations, interactive features for riders and a new narrator, Academy Award-winning actress Judi Dench.

For the musical score, each scene was infused with styles and instruments appropriate to the time period.

"To have that score transition smoothly as vehicles travel from one time period to the next is extremely difficult," said Walt Disney Imagineering show producer Bob Zalk. "The first time we rode through the attraction accompanied by that music, we were amazed."

The 180-foot-tall Spaceship Earth geodesic sphere opened as Epcot's centerpiece in 1982 with a ride storyline that originally focused more on the history of human communications. It has had occasional updates, but this year's overhaul by Walt Disney World and the attraction's sponsor Siemens AG was the first major change.

FenwayGirl
12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Very Exciting! We will be in Epcot mid=January and I thought that I definately would not get a chance to ride one of my favorite rides...Now at least I have a chance. Keep your fingers crossed for me:thumbsup:

iDisney
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
All I would think of with William Shatner is the Priceline Negotiator! hahahaha

Namby-Pamby. :funny: Sorry, that line gets me every time!

I hope that they will be doing previews when I go in January! I was extremely disappointed that it was going to be closed, so now there is hope!

Daisy'sMom
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I love Dame Judi Dench! But I still miss the original with Walter Cronkite.

Red Randal
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Consider me PUMPED!! :thumbsup:

Judi Dench could be awesome as narrator and if the score adds to the attraction even half as much as Goldsmith's scores does for Soarin' then we're in for something special.

ToDisney
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow.
sounds really ... different
anyone seen any signs that we might get in next week?
I guess its wishful thinking!:blush:

DisneyGRL7
12-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I guess I don't know enough about Judy Dench to have an opinion about that...butttt, if SSE really has previews in mid-December, I will be uncontrollably excited. I can't imagine a visit to Epcot without that ride.

Celestria
12-05-2007, 12:32 AM
it doesn't say anywhere that the actual WORDS are going to change, just the person saying them. besides the living with the land boat ride just changed the person from a man to a woman, words are the same

BelleBeauty
12-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm sad! It is never going to be the same. Any worth in hoping that only part of the narration is new?

lightyearfan
12-05-2007, 08:59 AM
boy me and dw will be in the world mid December i hope that we'll be able to get on this sneak peak, if not we'll have to wait until our June trip, i guess time will tell.

Victor

Gibbs
12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I was looking over the posts on page one. There were several ideas for different narrators. I really like the idea of Patrick Stewart narrating. What do ya'll think of Leonard Nimoy, or even James Earl Jones?

scoot241
12-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I was looking over the posts on page one. There were several ideas for different narrators. I really like the idea of Patrick Stewart narrating. What do ya'll think of Leonard Nimoy, or even James Earl Jones?

Leonard Nimoy would be great. He's an excellent narrator in the Civilization series of computer games.

Zone Stop
12-05-2007, 10:28 PM
it doesn't say anywhere that the actual WORDS are going to change, just the person saying them.

So the ride's gone down for 5 months just to change the narration...?

Jeremy Irons :number1:

Pagan
12-07-2007, 09:53 AM
James Earl Jones would have rocked too. :D

EmporerStitch
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
no with james earl jones id be waiting for him to say "simba it is your destiny"

PirateLover
12-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Consider me nervous. It sounds like they are making a lot more changes than I had originally thought. I LOVE Spaceship Earth. The narration, the score, the scenes. The new ride could be absolutely amazing but I didn't think it was changing this much. Man, now I might actually have to wait to ride it! haha.

Sunshine1010
12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
he he....yeah, James Earl Jones ---- the CNN voice, The Lion King, Darth Vader.....wasn't he the 7UP voice also?

Main Street Jim
12-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Has Ms. Dench done any other Disney work? I'm not a Bond fan, so never saw very much of the movies...LOL

Who does the Illuminations pre-show voiceovers (you know, "Ladies and gentlemen, in just fifteen minutes, Epcot and GE will present...Illuminations: Reflections of earth...")?

scoot241
12-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Has Ms. Dench done any other Disney work? I'm not a Bond fan, so never saw very much of the movies...LOL

According to Wikipedia, she was Mrs. Caloway in Home on the Range.

Altair
12-09-2007, 02:07 PM
James Earl Jones ---- the CNN voice, The Lion King, Darth Vader.....wasn't he the 7UP voice also?

Geoffrey Holder was the 7UP guy, but he would have been a good choice, too.:thumbsup:

x
12-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Wasn't Geoffrey Holder also a star in a Roger Moore James Bond movie? The one set in New Orleans?

Answered my own Question: The 007 film was Live and Let Die. 1973

lioness8978
12-09-2007, 05:28 PM

I love hearing those words...I hope they dont change the words, just the narrator. :mickey:

devoted93
12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
SPOILER... don't read if you don't want to know...
The narration, words and voice, has changed. From what I can hear in videos, "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship..." still opens the ride, but most of the rest has been reworded.

Mods: feel free to remove this if you feel it is not appropriate to include spoilers.

JPL
12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
I recently received a copy of the narration and have to say wow did they "dumb" it down. She sounds like she is explaining it to a 5 yr old :rolleyes: And honestly I think the 5 yr old might be insulted :shake:

animalkingdomguy
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I like Dame Judi, she is fine actress. I still prefer Jeremy Irons. There is something exotic and classy about his narration. I will sorely miss his prose.