PDA

View Full Version : Visa rewards summary for dummies

caubert
11-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I ordered and received my visa rewards credit card from chase. Can somebody give me the dummies version/ summary on how this card works? My limited understanding is that when I charge on it I earn points or rewards. How do I actually access or redeem these rewards to use for my disney vacation? Can you use rewards when you make a payment on your vacation package or just for things you buy in the parks? Thanks for any help.

Sunshine1010
11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
My question is.....I've read on here that some people get $700.00 worth of dollars back....how?.....I'm happy if I get $40.00.

mttafire
11-18-2007, 11:33 PM
My question is.....I've read on here that some people get $700.00 worth of dollars back....how?.....I'm happy if I get $40.00.
We currently have 400.00 on ours. You just have to use it ALOT. Pay it off as you go. they will build up fast! :thumbsup:

DunkieKong
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
I use mine instead of my debit card. I just charge whatever I would normally debit, and then pay it as I go. It can add up pretty quick.

BigRedDad
11-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Use it like an American Express card. Use it for all bills, purchases, mortgage, HOA, insurance, daycare. etc. I had to argue with my mortgage company to get them to allow CC payments. It took me depositing two months worth of mortgages into their bank to secure the use. We get about $25-$30 per month.

faline
11-19-2007, 05:41 AM
The more you charge on your credit card, the more "points" you will earn. Your points will be printed on each credit card bill you receive.

The best use of the card is to use it for ordinary puchases and then pay off the balance, in total, each and every month.

When you get ready to use your points, you can call or go online to order a reweards card. When you order the card, you need to put some of your points on the card. You can start by putting a minimal number of points on the card.

The card is generally good until December 31st of the year after you order it. If I order a rewards card today, it will be good through December 31st of 2008. This expiration date is very important so be sure to pay attention to it.

Once you receive your rewards card, you can load more points on it with a simple phone call. Points can be used to pay for your vacation, buy park passes, or used throughout Disney World just as you would use your credit card.

If you have any points left on your rewards card when you get to your expiration date, you will lose the points that are still on the rewards card when it expires. This is why the expiration date is so important!

Also, points on your credit card statement have a limited life as well - though it's quite a long time. Do pay attention. The date your points expire if you do not transfer them to a rewards card will be listed on your credit card statement.

Allow 2-3 weeks from the time you order your rewards card until you receive it.

btharvey
11-19-2007, 07:43 AM
One percent of every purchase goes toward everything Disney!

We average about $2500-$5000/month on the card, depending on how much I use it for business (reimbursed, of course!). I have cell phone, regular phone, cable, etc. billed to it too, to build up the points. Pay it off every month like everyone says. I've got about $600 on it now (that means $60,000 in purchases ... we don't go to WDW every year).

I've been looking into other offers, and Chase actually offers a card that gives up to 3% back regularly, and when you think about it would be a better deal ... but it doesn't have Tinkerbell on it!

BMan62
11-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Honestly, for me the points are a small bonus. The reason I got the card was for the 6 months, no interest on Disney trips. We built up a paltry 120 points over the past year that we are using for our meals on our trip next week.

I changed a card that I already had through Chase to the Disney card and I'm glad I did.

MarkC
11-19-2007, 09:11 AM
To make it as simple as possible-- it's 1 reward dollar for every $100 you spend. Spend $1,000 and you have 10 reward dollars. Spend $50,000 and you have $500 reward dollars. We put absolutely everything on our Visa, including most of our monthly bills. Just make sure you keep track of your expenses and pay them off monthly or you defeat the purpose. I check our charges on line every day to confirm what we owe, all charges are legit, etc.

DDuck66
11-19-2007, 09:49 AM
We only use the points for Disney items...We use the card to pay for our trips and then pay off the balance when the bill comes. We usually have a couple of hundred points each year. I also use it for major expenses that I already have the cash saved up for. that way I get the points without the interest added on it.

kaylamag
11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Here's my question: I booked my disney vacation on my disney visa using the 6 months no interest. Can i still make regular purchases without getting finance charges if i pay off those purchases monthly? Or do i have to pay off my vacation first?

avantgardeinker
11-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Here's my question: I booked my disney vacation on my disney visa using the 6 months no interest. Can i still make regular purchases without getting finance charges if i pay off those purchases monthly? Or do i have to pay off my vacation first?

You can still make regular purchases, but the finance charge will apply to those regular purchases only. The vacation will not have a finance charge unless you don't pay it off within the 6 month time frame. They keep them separate and it is reflected clearly on your statement so you can see what the finance charges are for.

17 more days!!
:mickey:

vamaggie
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM

They also sometimes run a 2x or 3x rewards bonuses for certain time periods. We use ours for everything, pay it off and bank the points. We don't go every year but when we do we use the points to pay part of the package bill and use the rest for meals & souveniers.

BriarRose0708
11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Next time I go to Disney I'll have had my rewards card for about a year and hope to have built up enough points to pay for some pricier meals on my trip since I won't be on the dining plan. I use the card to pay for almost everything and then pay it off right when the bill comes. I have a really small limit so I don't expect to have a ton of points by June, but hopefully enough to get a "free" meal.

BMan62
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM

I haven't actually checked this, but most cards will apply your payment to the lowest interest park of your balance first (the part that doesn't make them money.) Keeping that in mind, your payment may be going toward your Disney trip rather than to paying off the Purchases balance.

brownie
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Charge everything you can on it! We typically get 20-25 reward dollars a month. We charge everything on it, including all our utility bills. We pay it off each month so we don't pay interest on it. We have generated almost 170 reward dollars since our June trip to Disneyland (and we had 782 reward dollars for that trip that we accumulated over almost 3 years!).

Beast_fanatic
11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I haven't actually checked this, but most cards will apply your payment to the lowest interest park of your balance first (the part that doesn't make them money.) Keeping that in mind, your payment may be going toward your Disney trip rather than to paying off the Purchases balance.

Payments are definitely applied to the Purchases balance before the 0% interest trip balance with the Disney Visa.

Tink#64
11-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I use mine instead of my debit card. I just charge whatever I would normally debit, and then pay it as I go. It can add up pretty quick.

:ditto:

We use it exclusively for all routine purchases, gas, groceries, etc. I've even started paying a few things like our AAA membership & the water bill. I pay off what I've charged each month, and I've got over 300 points right now! Our '08 trip won't be until October so I'm hoping to have maybe twice the points we've got now. We'll either use towards the resort or dining!

I love my Disney Visa, I get so many comments on my card. I've got classic Mickey right now!:mickey3: